• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Gu4n

Unless it's the wiki you're talking about, I actually started one myself a couple of weeks ago to write down all the information that's whirling through my head instead of having to remember it. That means I'm just writing down whatever I have to look up in the games and re-confirm, so there's not really an order in which I'm adding information.

It's filled with spoilers up to Sen II, though! http://kiseki.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

EricB

Anyone here know anything about the Korean releases of these games? I was strolling through the market here in Seoul and noticed that a Korean language version of Sora no Kiseki FC Evolution recently released. I knew that both Sen no Kiseki games came out in Korean, but FC being available kind of surprised me since Zero and Ao Evolution never came out in Korean (yet). I guess the Vita (and PS4), as well as the Kiseki series itself, must be doing relatively well in Korea. Hopefully this means that we will at least get the full Sora trilogy in Korean, and maybe even the Crossbell games.

cwistofu

Anyone here know anything about the Korean releases of these games? I was strolling through the market here in Seoul and noticed that a Korean language version of Sora no Kiseki FC Evolved recently released. I knew that both Sen no Kiseki games came out in Korean, but FC being available kind of surprised me since Zero and Ao Evolved never came out in Korean (yet). I guess the Vita (and PS4), as well as the Kiseki series itself, must be doing relatively well in Korea. Hopefully this means that we will at least get the full Sora trilogy in Korean, and maybe even the Crossbell games.
Oh crap, I might buy FC Evo when I'm in Seoul this winter then. Thanks for the heads up!

Ratrat

.....so Sen No Kiseki 2 is Japans December ps+ game....Havent played 1 and have no intention on buying it. But is 2 worth playing by itself? Im in the middle of playing Tits 3.

Dio

Banned
.....so Sen No Kiseki 2 is Japans December ps+ game....Havent played 1 and have no intention on buying it. But is 2 worth playing by itself? Im in the middle of playing Tits 3.
Like FC/SC and Zero/Ao, 2 is a direct sequel with the same characters as one.

Aeana

2 picks up right where 1 left off, in the middle of a big event. You'll have no idea what's going on or who the characters are or why you should care about them.

Shouta

Sen 2 is way more dependent on your knowledge of Sen 1 than SC is on FC. You will absolutely not know what's going on, lol

zakujanai

Did you start TitS3 without playing the first two? If so, how's that working out for you?

Ratrat

Aw, shit. And I just noticed both games have really low reviews on Amazon. :( Will have to think about this.
I've played both Tits fc and sc and think I'm in the minority when I say I like these games for the gameplay much more than the story and characters. So was just wondering. Still, I cant imagine playing sc without playing fc first.

Shouta

You mean Cold Steel and Cold Steel 2 on Japan's Amazon? Well, for one thing don't believe Amazon JP reviews, lol. The other is that a lot of folks just like to complain about stuff. I've read a lot of reader reviews (in general) from over there and it's a lot more charged, for lack of a better word.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Is it reasonable to beat SC by the 22nd if I play casually? I think I'm still just barely beyond the prologue.
All of my gear was stolen.

Ratrat

You mean Cold Steel and Cold Steel 2 on Japan's Amazon? Well, for one thing don't believe Amazon JP reviews, lol. The other is that a lot of folks just like to complain about stuff. I've read a lot of reader reviews (in general) from over there and it's a lot more charged, for lack of a better word.
There are plenty of reason to not trust Amazon reviews but Ive heard people on gaf not liking Cold Steel 1 and that definitely colored my perception. Didnt care for the demo either. I think Ill redownload it and give it another shot, I remember the game was patched several times to improve peformance. (playing on vita)

zakujanai

Is it reasonable to beat SC by the 22nd if I play casually? I think I'm still just barely beyond the prologue.
All of my gear was stolen.

Took me the whole of November playing all weekend every weekend, but I had a ridiculous play time of over 120 hours. Most people on here seemed to take between 70 or 80 hours though so probably still too much to ask from that point.

Please don't let that stop you getting Cold Steel though, everyone needs to buy this day 1 and keep the Kiseki dream alive

Shouta

There are plenty of reason to not trust Amazon reviews but Ive heard people on gaf not liking Cold Steel 1 and that definitely colored my perception. Didnt care for the demo either. I think Ill redownload it and give it another shot, I remember the game was patched several times to improve peformance. (playing on vita)

The school setting was the major thing that folks were warm or cold on but most liked the game. It's basically in the same situation as FC. A decent to good individual game that really sets the stage for the second game.

Most here liked it but some were warmer to the setting than others like myself. I actually felt like they did the setting better than it gets credit for. Once you get into it, there are a lot of small story lines on the campus that happen and develop all while you're progressing through the game. Keeping up with those was great because it really gave life to the academy. That was always my biggest complaint with Persona 3 & 4, lol.

Gu4n

The school setting was the major thing that folks were warm or cold on but most liked the game. It's basically in the same situation as FC. A decent to good individual game that really sets the stage for the second game.

Most here liked it but some were warmer to the setting than others like myself. I actually felt like they did the setting better than it gets credit for. Once you get into it, there are a lot of small story lines on the campus that happen and develop all while you're progressing through the game. Keeping up with those was great because it really gave life to the academy. That was always my biggest complaint with Persona 3 & 4, lol.
Yes, the school setting seems to be an issue for many players. It has, however, been foreshadowed since SC/The 3rd and is therefore only a logical consequence of what have happened thus far.

My problem with Sen lies primarily in the rigid structure of the chapters, though I can imagine some find that comforting.

Shouta

Kiseki games have always had a rigid chapter structure. Sen is just the game it's a lot more apparent because it's wrapped in a setting and pace that's more familiar, IMO. It's, in the end, a very superficial difference to me.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I heard that the game coming after Cold Steel II is going to take place in Calvard. Rumor or fact?

Gu4n

I heard that the game coming after Cold Steel II is going to take place in Calvard. Rumor or fact?
Neither; it's simply not true.

In an interview last week Falcom president Kondo confirmed that the successor to Cold Steel II will take place in Erebonia. He originally said that the game after that would move Calvard, but in that same interview he corrected himself that focusing on Calvard is possible.

Aeana

They're probably working on a Calvard story too, for the game after the next one. It wouldn't surprise me if they had some internal deliberation about moving on or sticking around in Erebonia right away.

SolVanderlyn

I can't wait for Calvard. East Asian themes ahoy.

Is FC Evo region locked? I'm this close to importing it.

Jiraiza

Finally finished Cold Steel yesterday, now I'm sitting on my butt twiddling my thumbs waiting for the second game to arrive at my door.

I wasn't totally expecting the game to get all super Sci-Fi on me at the end, but I'm down for mechas any day. I was pretty attached to Crow and I wasn't really expecting him to be "C", though I guess he was a pretty mysterious guy from the start given everyone's background.
I guess my only complaint really is how Rean's kinda the super special (among specials) guy in a class of 9. That and how he isn't voiced a lot of the times. Also reminds me of Detective Conan where all the bad things happen wherever the main characters (in this case, Rean) go for the sake of plot.

Other than that, had a blast running through the game. Makes me wonder why I kept it in its shrink wrap for 2 years now.

Bladenic

So excited and happy to play Cold Steel probably Wednesday. The fact that we in the West got 2 games within 2 months is mind blowing and amazing. And I definitely want more after SC. Good time to be a Trails/JRPG fan.

SolVanderlyn

Nope, only its DLC!
Trigger pulled. If only someone could mod the new assets and VA into the PC version. Alas.

omgfloofy

Banned
They're probably working on a Calvard story too, for the game after the next one. It wouldn't surprise me if they had some internal deliberation about moving on or sticking around in Erebonia right away.

I'm 100% sure that we almost have another 3rd situation with Sen III, because I remember Kondo saying that they will go to Calvard next, then a few months later, in another interview, he's saying that they still have loose threads to tie up in Erebonia.

For context: Falcom started Zero no Kiseki right after SC, then stepped back to work on 3rd when they realized that more info needed to be put out there before they continued.

Bebpo

Banned
Ao no Kiseki Evo

Chapter 2, midway, major major stuff:

Oh man! Seeing the payoff for 5 games worth of build up with the unveiling of the building and start of the event was AWESOME. When Kiseki pays off, it really pays off.

You know, I was kind of disappointed in Zero because The 3rd has all these people talking about going to CROSSBELL, and it got me all hyped up for stuff going down in Crossbell, and then I start playing Zero and it takes place like a year later and I thought the big West Zemuria meeting happened offscreen before the game started and I was pretty bummed because why hype up such a major event with so many players and then not show it?

But here it is! YAY. Finally get that payoff and it's so good. So basically the main Kevin story & Estelle/Joshua leaving to Crossbell at the end of it takes place pre-Zero along with stuff like Zin & Kirika leaving to Calvard, and Lector meeting Kloe again is probably a bit later, then the political scenes in the optional doors with Olivert and Oxborn talking about going off to Crossbell are taking place way later and right around/after Zero no Kiseki, Got it. So the Kiseki games aren't always linear in plot and Zero is kind of a prequel/concurrent in some ways to 3rd, whereas Ao takes place after SC/FC/3rd.

Anyhow, cool stuff. Definitely enjoying the game a lot now. OH, but one complaint I have is with the big intro of all the different major representatives from each Western kingdom coming together in Crossbell...why doesn't the Lemiferia representative get a picture? I mean seems weird even if he's not going to be a major player in this game to not give him a portrait since he's still the first major political person you see from a kingdom that surely is going to be the set of 6th and maybe final game series. Even if they haven't really figured out what they're going to do there and don't want to give him a voice actor yet, I don't see the harm in at least giving him a character portrait/design this early on.

Also I'm guessing the entire Kiseki series is just going to be West Zemuria and these 6 nations? Would line up with the we're around/past halfway comment. Still makes me kind of sad because I'd like to learn about even more countries and dream of games set in even more interesting locations (especially since I'm not looking forward to Calvard much and hope that series goes by pretty quick in 2 games and then move on; the Eastern/Asia setting is gonna be kind of boring when politically there's far more interesting places to visit). But yeah, if it's only six, it makes sense to save the best/most interesting location for last with Lemiferia (the church is located there, right?).

SephLuis

Guys, a little help. I am playing zero no kiseki evolution and I need some help in one of the sidequests in chapter 2.

It's the sidequest regarding a enigma thing and I am supposed to show or use an art that will make my enemy lose understanding or something like that.

I tried using Lunar Craze, but I dont think this is the art the game wants. Can anyone help me with this or pointe to a wiki ?

Thanks

Guys, a little help. I am playing zero no kiseki evolution and I need some help in one of the sidequests in chapter 2.

It's the sidequest regarding a enigma thing and I am supposed to show or use an art that will make my enemy lose understanding or something like that.

I tried using Lunar Craze, but I dont think this is the art the game wants. Can anyone help me with this or pointe to a wiki ?

Thanks

Rofl I remember that.
http://alphawiki.net/zero_psp/index.php?第2章サブクエスト#f48d86c0

Should be the first sub quest haha. BTW that guide is fantastic if u don't read ahead for boss name spoilers

Fhoenix

Ao no Kiseki Evo

Chapter 2, midway, major major stuff:

Oh man! Seeing the payoff for 5 games worth of build up with the unveiling of the building and start of the event was AWESOME. When Kiseki pays off, it really pays off.

You know, I was kind of disappointed in Zero because The 3rd has all these people talking about going to CROSSBELL, and it got me all hyped up for stuff going down in Crossbell, and then I start playing Zero and it takes place like a year later and I thought the big West Zemuria meeting happened offscreen before the game started and I was pretty bummed because why hype up such a major event with so many players and then not show it?

But here it is! YAY. Finally get that payoff and it's so good. So basically the main Kevin story & Estelle/Joshua leaving to Crossbell at the end of it takes place pre-Zero along with stuff like Zin & Kirika leaving to Calvard, and Lector meeting Kloe again is probably a bit later, then the political scenes in the optional doors with Olivert and Oxborn talking about going off to Crossbell are taking place way later and right around/after Zero no Kiseki, Got it. So the Kiseki games aren't always linear in plot and Zero is kind of a prequel/concurrent in some ways to 3rd, whereas Ao takes place after SC/FC/3rd.

Anyhow, cool stuff. Definitely enjoying the game a lot now. OH, but one complaint I have is with the big intro of all the different major representatives from each Western kingdom coming together in Crossbell...why doesn't the Lemiferia representative get a picture? I mean seems weird even if he's not going to be a major player in this game to not give him a portrait since he's still the first major political person you see from a kingdom that surely is going to be the set of 6th and maybe final game series. Even if they haven't really figured out what they're going to do there and don't want to give him a voice actor yet, I don't see the harm in at least giving him a character portrait/design this early on.

Also I'm guessing the entire Kiseki series is just going to be West Zemuria and these 6 nations? Would line up with the we're around/past halfway comment. Still makes me kind of sad because I'd like to learn about even more countries and dream of games set in even more interesting locations (especially since I'm not looking forward to Calvard much and hope that series goes by pretty quick in 2 games and then move on; the Eastern/Asia setting is gonna be kind of boring when politically there's far more interesting places to visit). But yeah, if it's only six, it makes sense to save the best/most interesting location for last with Lemiferia (the church is located there, right?).

Yeah, I got to that place too. It's now one of my favorite high politic parts of kiseki series, together with castle banquet in FC and tank invasion during the power outage in SC. Politics in Kiseki are really much more interesting than plots about ancient artifacts and super secret organizations that are able to send flying fortresses anywhere at the drop of a hat (Ouroboros is kind of ridiculous like that).
I do have a bad feeling that in the and all this politics will be shafted again in favor of another ancient artifact somehow related to Kea. -_-

Zero was disappointing yes. But Olivert and Ozborn scenes do take place during/before Zero. The Iron Chancellor had secret talks with Hartman and Lector facilitated that meeting. By Ao Hartman is already gone. The point of those doors was to introduce the instability in Crossbel, which we do later see in Zero with the Erebonia and Calvard waging a proxy war through organized crime groups and the stalemate in the Diet. Also we see Lector and Kilika working for their respective spy agencies so that's more ties between Zero and 3rd.

Speaking of series connections in Ao we have Olivert mentioned as a school principal. I played a little of Sen to wet my appetite. So I was like "Oh, snap!"

Not sure there are going to be arcs for every state in the west continent. There are more then six states. At the very least there are: Erebonia, Calvard, Liberl, Crossbell, Lemiferia, Arteria, Leman, Nozavria, Ored. Technically we did visit Arteria in SC. And Calvard in Zero/Ao. Nozavria was covered in one of the Doors. So it's anybody's guess how many arcs there will be and where they will take place. Personally Arteria does not sound that interesting to me. The Church is kind of boring in Kiseki with every priest around going into long sermons. And that heavy organ music. I try to imagine a whole game filled with cathedrals and organ music and my eyes turn @_@

Gu4n

Too much bars. Here, have some text instead!

- It's safe to say that the fundamental politics of Zemuria are driven and guided by the Sept-Terrion.
- Nozavria is called North Ambria, leading me to wonder where South Ambria is/has been (probably merged with Erebonia).
- We did get to visit Leman during SC, not Arteria. Although you could argue that in The 3rd
you visit Arteria since the final dungeon is modelled after its grand cathedral
- I personally think we'll move toward Calvard (and Ored) after the Erebonia arc, then moving on to Leman (and Remiferia?) with a finale in Arteria (where, I think,
the 'final' Sept-Terrion is, resulting in a war between Ouroboros and the Septian Church)

Fhoenix

How many Sept-Terrion are featured in the games that were released so far? I haven't finished Ao and Sen yet, but I wouldn't mind a spoiler.

I know Sept-Terrion drive the overall plot, but they are so boring. Villains trying to steal an artifact is a plot you see everywhere. I know how such plots go, I doubt Falcom is going to surprise me with that. I mean Liberl Ark itself was a surprise, Phantasma was interesting. But you could tell what would happen to them the moment you knew what they are.
On the other hand politics in Falcom games do excite me. You rarely ever see anything of this level in games. It's intricate, builds on itself through many games and you never know what you'll end up with. The world is on the brink of war, it's tense
and when instead of invasion by a threatening empire you get an internal coup d'etat and then a war prevented through diplomacy it's all the more unexpected
. Remove Sept-Terrion and you could have all the same political scenes in the first several games. There would be wars even without Ouroboros. Border disputes, war for resources, war for technology, buffer zones, peace treaties. It all makes sense without ancient artifacts.

Yeah, the training camp was in Leman, my mistake.

omgfloofy

Banned
How many Sept-Terrion are featured in the games that were released so far? I haven't finished Ao and Sen yet, but I wouldn't mind a spoiler.

Series spoilers regarding the question above:
Two, so far. Kind of. The Mirage Sept-Terrion is involved in Zero and Ao, but there's a trick to it.

If there's a request for it, I'm sure one of us can go into more detail. I tend to err on the side of caution regarding spoilers. I don't like assuming how much a person wants to know. ;D

I know Sept-Terrion drive the overall plot, but they are so boring. Villains trying to steal an artifact is a plot you see everywhere. I know how such plots go, I doubt Falcom is going to surprise me with that.

I think Cold Steel 2 changes that enough as it is. Politics for the series as a whole are going to get a lot more interesting. I've had some lengthy discussions with both Guan and Yotaka about this, even, for what it means for the series in the long run.

Fhoenix

Yeah, that's what I wanted to know. A number is enough for me, I'll see everything else by myself.

I am intrigued by what the bells will do. But also afraid they'll get scrapped like everything before them and Kea will lose her haxor powers. Because if sepith alchemy has been dead for 5 hundred years it's unlikely it will be reintroduced into the setting now. The Erebonia/Crossbel politics on the other hand will stay relevant. Judging by how Sen opens...

For Sen 2
all that I heard is that there is a civil war and students are supposed to be the neutral party. But nobles are such jerks that "there is no wrong side in this war" does not really work out.
Well, I am still far away from that. Will be very happy if the game surprises me.

Gu4n

Remove Sept-Terrion and you could have all the same political scenes in the first several games. There would be wars even without Ouroboros. Border disputes, war for resources, war for technology, buffer zones, peace treaties. It all makes sense without ancient artifacts.
Maybe. But maybe not. The nations we currently know are approximations of the seven factions that gathered around Sept-Terrion. What is now known as Liberl used to be the population that gathered around the Aureole and lived on Liber-Ark. I strongly believe that the character of a population corresponds with the nature of the Sept-Terrion they possess. I strongly believe that Erebonia's imperial nature stems from that.

Are the earlier Legends of Heroes PSP games worth playing (the games that came out before Trails)?

From what I've gathered, they were released out of order and numbered oddly in the US. With Legend of Heroes I: A Tear of Vermilion being the 4th game in the series but was released in the US before Legend of Heroes II: Prophecy of Moonlight Witch, which is actually the 3rd game in the series.

From the opening post in this thread, it sounds like the Trails games are their own thing and have nothing to do with the earlier PSP games. So do those earlier games not even take place in the same world as all the Trails games? Or are they in the same world, but isolated from anything else related to Trails?

Sorry for all the questions; I'm trying to wrap my head around this series. I'm still working my way through Trails of the Sky. I'm really loving the series so far from what I've played and will be jumping into Cold Steel next, but have grown curious about the earlier entries in the series.

Dio

Banned
Are the earlier Legends of Heroes PSP games worth playing (the games that came out before Trails)?

From what I've gathered, they were released out of order and numbered oddly in the US. With Legend of Heroes I: A Tear of Vermilion being the 4th game in the series but was released in the US before Legend of Heroes II: Prophecy of Moonlight Witch, which is actually the 3rd game in the series.

From the opening post in this thread, it sounds like the Trails games are their own thing and have nothing to do with the earlier PSP games. So do those earlier games not even take place in the same world as all the Trails games? Or are they in the same world, but isolated from anything else related to Trails?

Sorry for all the questions; I'm trying to wrap my head around this series. I'm still working my way through Trails of the Sky. I'm really loving the series so far from what I've played and will be jumping into Cold Steel next, but have grown curious about the earlier entries in the series.

The Gagharv games, which are the titles you're talking about in that second paragraph, are in a completely different universe/world from Trails. Everything 'before' Trails in the Sky First Chapter is not connected to the "Kiseki" aka Trails titles.

The earlier LoH PSP titles are great, if you play the original releases in Japan. The shitty Bandai Namco re-release in the west replaced the battle system with a knockoff Lunar for some damn reason (why they'd change the battle system in localization I'll never know) and the localization is filled with grammatical and spelling errors to the point whether you wonder if they proof read the damn thing at all (they outsourced the TL to another company)

The Gagharv games, which are the titles you're talking about in that second paragraph, are in a completely different universe/world from Trails. Everything 'before' Trails in the Sky First Chapter is not connected to the "Kiseki" aka Trails titles.

The earlier LoH PSP titles are great, if you play the original releases in Japan. The shitty Bandai Namco re-release in the west replaced the battle system with a knockoff Lunar for some damn reason (why they'd change the battle system in localization I'll never know) and the localization is filled with grammatical and spelling errors to the point whether you wonder if they proof read the damn thing at all (they outsourced the TL to another company)
Thanks for all the info! That is so odd that they would change the battle system. It seems like very unnecessary localization work on their part. My Japanese isn't at a level yet that I'd be able to easily play through an RPG, so I may hold off on that trilogy if the English versions have those issues and wait until I have a better grasp on the language.

Gu4n

Everything 'before' Trails in the Sky First Chapter is not connected to the "Kiseki" aka Trails titles.
Yeahhhh, about that... I wouldn't jump that gun myself. References to Gagharv in Kiseki have gone slightly beyond the degree of nods.

omgfloofy

Banned
Yeahhhh, about that... I wouldn't jump that gun myself. References to Gagharv in Kiseki have gone slightly beyond the degree of nods.

Though I want to add that this is also potentially paranoia. Because it is strong in the Kiseki fandom.

...but Guan does have a point that the references have been pretty significant by this point- enough so that it's definitely causing headtilts and raising eyebrows.

Dio

Banned

Fair enough. For his purposes, though, they're unconnected, so we shall see if that's the case in the future.

Jiraiza

Alright, so I finally got past the first intermission chapter in Cold Steel 2 and I need to get this off my chest.
Does the story keep heading in the direction of Rean being the super special kid, what with being an orphan, having a dormant special power, being the sole Riser in his class (excluding Crow), and so forth? For a story that's supposed to be about class 7 (at least that's my assumption), it feels more like MC and his followers than anything else. The whole escape from the ship full of strong people with the sudden powerup, while cool, honestly made me roll my eyes a little.

Granted I'm kind of generalizing a bit here and hopefully don't sound too ignorant or anything. I know the other members have their importance and all, but it feels like they get overshadowed by the all-important leader. I'm still early (I think?) in the game, so that could easily change.

As a comparison, I liked Estelle from what I've played of FC since she's fairly normal in comparison.

I'm really enjoying the story though, so don't get me wrong.

Dio

Banned
I don't want to go to the wiki, so someone answer me.

Is there a comprehensive measurement guide somewhere? What the fuck is a selge or an arge? I was about to make a thread about something before I realized I didn't actually know what the equivalent of each of these measurements actually is, despite having assumed it was a 1:1 with real life measurements (it isn't) back when I played FC ages ago.

Gu4n

I don't want to go to the wiki, so someone answer me.

Is there a comprehensive measurement guide somewhere? What the fuck is a selge or an arge? I was about to make a thread about something before I realized I didn't actually know what the equivalent of each of these measurements actually is, despite having assumed it was a 1:1 with real life measurements (it isn't) back when I played FC ages ago.
1 rige = 1 centimeter
1 arge = 1 meter
1 selge = 100 meters
1 torim = 1 (metric) ton

Dio

Banned
1 rige = 1 centimeter
1 arge = 1 meter
1 selge = 100 meters
1 torim = 1 (metric) ton

Oh, okay. So it really does correspond to real life measurements. 'Selge' threw me off because there is no unit name for '100 meters' in real life as far as I know. EDIT: Oh right, hectometer.

Top Bottom