• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

1 rige = 1 centimeter
1 arge = 1 meter
1 selge = 100 meters
1 torim = 1 (metric) ton

Ah, that makes sense.

I've been confused because it was clear that selge couldn't be kilometers or miles, because the measurements wouldn't make any sense, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it could possibly be.

vladisaac

Alright, so I finally got past the first intermission chapter in Cold Steel 2 and I need to get this off my chest. [...]

I had the same feeling when I played Sen II.
About Part I and Part II.
Sadly, the story of Sen II is kind of the "final chapter" of Sen I. Only Rean and Jusis were really involved with the events of story by having their own story arcs. That's basically why I think it's one of the weakest Kiseki entry. The other characters seemed to be sitting on the bench, they were in the game just to be playable. I really hope Sen III is a sequel à la SC and Ao story wise.

Aeana

Speaking about plot and setting. Who is the main scenario writer for kiseki series?

Hisayoshi Takeiri is generally top billed, with a bit of space after his name, so I assume he's the primary dude. But there's always a list of people, not just him.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
When is Cassius going to show up in another game, he is way too important to be relegated to one set of games

FDBK

I apologize if this question has already been asked and answered but:

Which versions of Ao and Zero no Kiseki would you say are, in the overall whole-package sense, the best versions between the PSP and PS Vita releases? Thanks!

Oh and also Sora no Kiseki 3rd, thanks!!

Gu4n

I apologize if this question has already been asked and answered but:

Which versions of Ao and Zero no Kiseki would you say are, in the overall whole-package sense, the best versions between the PSP and PS Vita releases? Thanks!

Oh and also Sora no Kiseki 3rd, thanks!!
For Sora no Kiseki The 3rd, it's definitely the PC version. For Zero and Ao, it's a tie between both versions. The PSP versions have far better soundtracks, but the Vita ports have extensive voice acting.

Dio

Banned
For Sora no Kiseki The 3rd, it's definitely the PC version. For Zero and Ao, it's a tie between both versions. The PSP versions have far better soundtracks, but the Vita ports have extensive voice acting.

I think that's a matter of opinion. I know people who were modding Trails FC/SC with the Evolution soundtrack when the FC Evo soundtrack came out, even though I hate it in comparison to the original.

omgfloofy

Banned

I'm going to argue this statement on 3rd. Because it's a toss up between the two.

PC version has the full story in-tact. That's a huge plus on it.

When the PSP version came out, Falcom removed a piece of the story, supposedly to ensure the game would stay CERO B like its predecessors.

On the other hand, while doing that, they added a TON of new gameplay changes, new equipment, new quartz, new difficulties on the minigames, etc etc. Of the three games that had changes going to the PSP, 3rd had the most extensive of all of them- Falcom made boss fights more difficult, and gave you new ways to break characters. They modified how the upper end Crafts in 3rd function, and stats of weapons in the game.

Gu4n

I'm going to argue this statement on 3rd. Because it's a toss up between the two.

When the PSP version came out, Falcom removed a piece of the story, supposedly to ensure the game would stay CERO B like its predecessors.

On the other hand, while doing that, they added a TON of new gameplay changes, new equipment, new quartz, new difficulties on the minigames, etc etc. Of the three games that had changes going to the PSP, 3rd had the most extensive of all of them- Falcom made boss fights more difficult, and gave you new ways to break characters. They modified how the upper end Crafts in 3rd function, and stats of weapons in the game.
B-but you know I've trying to forget about the battle at the end of Chapter 3! *silently weeps in a corner*

But yes, the PSP exclusive difficulty setting for Kiseki de Pom was quite a adrenaline rush.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

The cut scenes are on Youtube, so I have to give it to the PSP version in this case.

FC Evo should be here soon. Time to brush up on my Nihongo. Nothing like a logographic language to alert you to what it must feel like to be illiterate, even if you understand the spoken aspect.

Taruranto

I was thinking, given the recent success of the Muv-Luv kickstarter (which it's something suuuper niche), wouldn't a kickstarter for Ao/Zero or even the third work?

Has XSEED ever consider that?

Psxphile

I was thinking, given the recent success of the Muv-Luv kickstarter (which it's something suuuper niche), wouldn't a kickstarter for Ao/Zero or even the third work?

It's been brought to their attention multiple times on this forum alone. According to them, Falcom would certainly not be okay with it.

omgfloofy

Banned

It's been brought to their attention multiple times on this forum alone. According to them, Falcom would certainly not be okay with it.

To give more details on this specifically- when they take a localization, the company also gives a kind of vow that they're willing to take on the risks of such a task. There are some companies that are still very traditional about their operations (Falcom's definitely in this list), and if they saw such a thing, it would look like they couldn't handle the risk, and thus they shouldn't be bothering with it in the first place.

There's another problem with this- which is while you can kickstart money, you can't kickstart time or resources, which is what Zero/Ao would need. On top of that, there's the weird issue with the Chinese PC version of Ao no Kiseki. I can't say for sure if XSEED has the resources or ability to work with a Chinese company, for starters... Being able to make arrangements with a Japanese company isn't the same as doing so with a Chinese company.

Jiraiza

I had the same feeling when I played Sen II.
About Part I and Part II.
Sadly, the story of Sen II is kind of the "final chapter" of Sen I. Only Rean and Jusis were really involved with the events of story by having their own story arcs. That's basically why I think it's one of the weakest Kiseki entry. The other characters seemed to be sitting on the bench, they were in the game just to be playable. I really hope Sen III is a sequel à la SC and Ao story wise.

I'm actually way more fond of
Jusis
than I am of Rean, so I'm actually glad to hear that. A shame about the others though...

In regards to the reactions to Millium & Altina...

To be quite honest, the designs for Altina didn't have to be so... provocative. Her combat suit is definitely a notch above Millium's. But that's the angle that the designer went for, so shrug.

On the characterisation aspect though, considering that there are newcomers to this series who probably never played SC as well
( While Joshua was the series's first "child soldier tool", the implications never really strikes home until Renne)
, it is somewhat of a stark reality that games tend to overuse children in JRPG fiction sometimes a bit too loosely, without getting into the nuances of what it means from the lore implication that characters like Tio, Renne, Millium and Altina are effectively unnatural child soldiers.

And well, the fact that Osborne runs a pretty chillax spec-ops in his Ironbreeds does paint him in a far nicer light than that one organisation in Zero.

omgfloofy

Banned
I don't have the ability to make a full response right now, but we are using spoiler tags in this thread as well, as a heads up.

I'll write a more thought out response when I have the chance, however.

Gu4n

In regards to the reactions to Millium & Altina...

To be quite honest, the designs for Altina didn't have to be so... provocative. Her combat suit is definitely a notch above Millium's. But that's the angle that the designer went for, so shrug.

On the characterisation aspect though, considering that there are newcomers to this series who probably never played SC as well ( While Joshua was the series's first "child soldier tool", the implications never really strikes home until Renne), it is somewhat of a stark reality that games tend to overuse children in JRPG fiction sometimes a bit too loosely, without getting into the nuances of what it means from the lore implication that characters like Tio, Renne, Millium and Altina are effectively unnatural child soldiers.

And well, the fact that Osborne runs a pretty chillax spec-ops in his Ironbreeds does paint him in a far nicer light than that one organisation in Zero.
As implied during the endgame of Sen II,
I think Millium and Altina are homunculus crafted in the Black Workshop, one of the Thirteen Factories. She describes herself (and Millium) as "artificial children, not born from a mother and coordinated by their puppets". Whoever is in charge of the production for the Black Workshop might have designed them as such and done so with a specific reason.

Jiraiza

Question for CSII about the characters you choose before the
battle to liberate Trista...

Does it matter who you choose for the card game and Valimar's temporary, permanent partner? I went Alisa and Jusis for the former and latter and curious if this will block me from the special events or whatever the game told me about.

On another note, It's pretty amazing how incompetent the entire army is though. I guess the power of the katana folded a thousand times can't be beaten. smh

SolVanderlyn

Someone just spoiled me on the fact that
Rean is Osbourne's son
. Knowing my luck with spoilers lately, it's probably true.

I'm so, so tempted to click all the black bars in here. Especially concerning
Zero/Ao. What obliterated Garrelia Fortress? What the heck is going on over there? I must know!!

Holding strong, though.

Jiraiza

Rean is Osbourne's son

So I made it to the epilogue of CS2, decided to click your spoiler because fuck it, and I think I effectively lost all my interest in the story.

This self-insert power fantasy theme with Rean really killed it for me. Don't get me started with how he hooks up with any of the girls in that final bonding scene before the epilogue chapter.

Well, time to chug my way through the rest of the game. Not too sure if I want to do another playthrough for that extra scene, so maybe I'll check it out on youtube. I'm still interested in finishing FC and playing SC, though. Not entirely too sure about the Crossbell games anymore since that 's apparently a slightly less offensive package of CS.

I would love it if someone could refute me and state otherwise, since I want to like the series. It isn't too often you get a JRPG that actually does world building right. Perhaps, I'm making too early of a judgment call since I haven't beaten the game yet (I'll probably be complaining more when I do, though). Either way, I am platinum upset, disappointed, and super salty.

Feels bad man.

omgfloofy

Banned
So I made it to the epilogue of CS2, decided to click your spoiler because fuck it, and I think I effectively lost all my interest in the story.

This self-insert power fantasy theme with Rean really killed it for me. Don't get me started with how he hooks up with any of the girls in that final bonding scene before the epilogue chapter.

The best part about this is actually what they do with it after the epilogue, though. I think I was furious, and then upset, then furious again, then upset again, and I had one of the most emotionally difficult boss battles in the series as a result of my 'oh my god' reaction.

Gu4n

Rean is Osbourne's son

I'm so, so tempted to click all the black bars in here. Especially concerning
Zero/Ao. What obliterated Garrelia Fortress? What the heck is going on over there? I must know!!

Holding strong, though.
Even if I'd answer the 'what', you would still be 'but how?!'-ing like everyone else.

Well, time to chug my way through the rest of the game. Not too sure if I want to do another playthrough for that extra scene, so maybe I'll check it out on youtube. I'm still interested in finishing FC and playing SC, though. Not entirely too sure about the Crossbell games anymore since that 's apparently a slightly less offensive package of CS.

I would love it if someone could refute me and state otherwise, since I want to like the series. It isn't too often you get a JRPG that actually does world building right. Perhaps, I'm making too early of a judgment call since I haven't beaten the game yet (I'll probably be complaining more when I do, though). Either way, I am platinum upset, disappointed, and super salty.

Feels bad man.
You're, indeed, as salty as North Ambria. I personally think Rean's behaviour is driven by (series-wide spoilers)
whatever he has in his chest. Since we had Gospels to resonate with the Aureole and Pleroma Flowers to access the Demiurgos, I think the chunk of whatever his chests holds is what access Erebonia's Fire (?) Sept-Terrion. His Ogre Mode, I think, is powered by the Sept-Terrion. The 'self-inserted power fantasy theme' is the essential characteristic of Erebonia as a population as well.

Since I played through it myself another time last night, I argue that everything beyond the point of return in CS2 ranks among the best moment in the entire series.

I'm not sure where you heard that the Crossbell games are a "apparently slightly less offensive package of CS", but that's utter nonsense. The Crossbell arc is the meticulously crafted highlight of the series, a display of flawless JRPG.

omgfloofy

Banned
You're, indeed, as salty as North Ambria. I personally think Rean's behaviour is driven by (series-wide spoilers)
whatever he has in his chest. Since we had Gospels to resonate with the Aureole and Pleroma Flowers to access the Demiurgos, I think the chunk of whatever his chests holds is what access Erebonia's Fire (?) Sept-Terrion. His Ogre Mode, I think, is powered by the Sept-Terrion. The 'self-inserted power fantasy theme' is the essential characteristic of Erebonia as a population as well.

I'm going to make an aside to Guan's post to show how different people can come out thinking different things regarding this series:

(Relevant to the same spoiler above)
I don't think his power is related to a specific Sept-Terrion, rather something else entirely. *coughdivergentlawscough* ...which is kind of a whole new can of worms in this series. (Look at his conversation with McBurn for my direction leading to this.)

Zero no Kiseki is bloody awesome, and the fact that Ao is said to be better in every way is mindboggling.

Every story has its flaws, and part of it is largely dependent on one's tolerance level as well. I don't think Lloyd is a better protagonist than Estelle, but I don't think he's some blank slate goody two shoe self insert power fantasy either.

Jiraiza

The best part about this is actually what they do with it after the epilogue, though. I think I was furious, and then upset, then furious again, then upset again, and I had one of the most emotionally difficult boss battles in the series as a result of my 'oh my god' reaction.

Interesting. Who would you suggest I pick amongst these five? Alisa, Jusis, Laura, Millium, and Towa.

Jusis was frankly the only saving grace since it was more about his position in his family relative to his brother. Though it did end up going back to Rean but I'll just ignore that. Millium's was just a smh because I prefer her chemistry with Jusis much, much more. Emphasis on much. Bolded.

God, if I hear Rean say, "No, it's not because of me but because everyone else is here" I'm gonna scream. マジで

omgfloofy

Banned
Interesting. Who would you suggest I pick amongst these five? Alisa, Jusis, Laura, Millium, and Towa.

I would personally pick Laura, but she's actually one of my favorite characters in the Erebonia story.

More vague spoilers on the same topic:
There are going to be a few changes with Rean as a character. All I can say is just keep playing. He wasn't my favorite of the protagonists, but Falcom's done something with him that I find very different and very infuriating. (And I love it when looking back at it. I didn't see it coming and wouldn't have expected Falcom to do what they did.)

In the end, I still can't stress enough how emotional I got over a thing later on in the game.

Jiraiza

I would personally pick Laura, but she's actually one of my favorite characters in the Erebonia story.

More vague spoilers on the same topic:
There are going to be a few changes with Rean as a character. All I can say is just keep playing. He wasn't my favorite of the protagonists, but Falcom's done something with him that I find very different and very infuriating. (And I love it when looking back at it. I didn't see it coming and wouldn't have expected Falcom to do what they did.)

In the end, I still can't stress enough how emotional I got over a thing later on in the game.

Does picking any of them change the ending in any way? Your post made it sound like that. If not, I guess I'll just stick with Alisa as the default boring choice and check out Jusis the next time around.

But yeah, will try to finish by the end of the week.

omgfloofy

Banned
Does picking any of them change the ending in any way? Your post made it sound like that. If not, I guess I'll just stick with Alisa as the default boring choice and check out Jusis the next time around.

I don't think any of them have consequences that affect the ending. Look at how it did in Cold Steel. It most certainly won't have any effect with what I was talking about in the spoiler tags.

Character relationship choices in Trails games literally
don't matter at all, not one bit.

By the time the next game rolls out, Falcom will tell you
your choices were not canon and they'll substitute your canon with their own.

It's fun to see what "could've been", but that's really all they are.

omgfloofy

Banned
Character relationship choices in Trails games literally
don't matter at all, not one bit.

By the time the next game rolls out, Falcom will tell you
your choices were not canon and they'll substitute your canon with their own.

It's fun to see what "could've been", but that's really all they are.

Character relationship scenes may also give you more series-wide lore and background. Because there are characters who wouldn't say those things to someone they didn't have that relationship with in the first place.

Vague Ao no Kiseki spoiler as an example (not naming names or anything in it.)
There's a character in Ao no Kiseki that talks about something that you should already know is an incredibly traumatic and personal experience if you played the games in order.

The first time in the series you get to hear someone tell about a similar experience, it was like pulling teeth to get that story from him. It's 100% unsurprising that a similar character would absolutely not tell anyone without having that kind of close relationship in the first place.

Deeper Spoiler- I'm naming names if you're curious about details of the earlier, vague spoiler (series spoilers!)
This is Wazy's relationship scene in Ao no Kiseki.

Well might as well ask and confirm this since I already know, this is regarding CS2
but does Rean actually end up with Alisa? From what I spoil myself on, he does in CS2 and its canon. Spoil myself from the wiki.

Gu4n

But yeah, will try to finish by the end of the week.
Although it doesn't change its ending, it is worthwhile to take Emma with you to the final dungeon for additional information.

Well might as well ask and confirm this since I already know, this is regarding CS2
but does Rean actually end up with Alisa? From what I spoil myself on, he does in CS2 and its canon. Spoil myself from the wiki.
He doesn't "end up with her", but their bonding event in CS2 is significantly more intimate than the others.

TR_

Jusis was frankly the only saving grace since it was more about his position in his family relative to his brother. Though it did end up going back to Rean but I'll just ignore that. Millium's was just a smh because I prefer her chemistry with Jusis much, much more. Emphasis on much. Bolded.

God, if I hear Rean say, "No, it's not because of me but because everyone else is here" I'm gonna scream. マジで

I would go with Towa since she's the one that's the closest to crow. Also,you should talk to the princess in the school house to get a letter from Oliver.

omgfloofy

Banned
Although it doesn't change its ending, it is worthwhile to take Emma with you to the final dungeon for additional information.

OH GOD.

I forgot about that.

It's tiny, and it's subtle as hell (i lied: it's not that subtle at all), but oh so important.

He doesn't "end up with her", but their bonding event in CS2 is significantly more intimate than the others.
Ahh gotcha guess the wiki was misleading aka due to the wording :lol

When the game has
multiple romance options, the game won't break its own canon within the game itself. In other words, we don't know what is the overall canon for Rean, if there's even one.

Gotta wait till Cold Steel 3.

Gu4n

We don't know.

Gotta wait till Cold Steel 3 to know which path is canon, or if none of them are.
None, or if I had to pick one, I'd say
Laura
in her role as
Lance Maiden descendant
. I don't expect, consider the ending,
Alisa, Machias, Elliot
to be party members anymore either.

The Legend of Heroes Wikia? I found a lot of mistakes there -- from wrong romanisations and incorrect 'facts' to pages blatantly copied from my Wikia without crediting until I pointed the admin at that.

Laura
in her role as
Lance Maiden descendant
Alisa, Machias, Elliot

I was referring to the last kizuna sequence in Sen II with the girls. :p

Gu4n

One more thing about that same CS2 dungeon that's been the current topic:

DON'T NEGLECT ANYONE.
My 100% Critical Rean one-shotted every single boss showing up in the final dungeon on Nightmare. I had to re-do a couple of fights because I missed out on battle notes, lol.

I was referring to the last kizuna sequence in Sen II with the girls. :p
Then the canon girl is
obviously Alisa

Jolkien

I recently finished Trails in the Sky FC. Where were I instead of playing this gem. I adored it. I will be commencing SC shortly. Any recommendations on the difficulty setting ?

I did not find FC particularly challenging except a few fight

Koreans have the best Trails wiki.

Then the canon girl is
obviously Alisa

That's the end game, sure.

I'm saying that just because
Alisa's victory is inevitable doesn't mean that love confession and kiss~ scene
is canon. :p

Laura
in her role as
Lance Maiden descendant
Alisa, Machias, Elliot

The Legend of Heroes Wikia? I found a lot of mistakes there -- from wrong romanisations and incorrect 'facts' to pages blatantly copied from my Wikia without crediting until I pointed the admin at that.
Yep. Of course it's half made and missing a lot of information. But still it mention that and showed a screenshot. Didn't know about the mistakes that's on there. Personally the harem thing always drive me a insane so it was something I had to know. But either way nice confirming it tho. Thanks.

omgfloofy

Banned
I recently finished Trails in the Sky FC. Where were I instead of playing this gem. I adored it. I will be commencing SC shortly. Any recommendations on the difficulty setting ?

I did not find FC particularly challenging except a few fight

Let me preface this by saying that FC and SC were never balanced properly for difficulty modes. SC also starts pulling some tricks on you, combat-wise. As a result, I usually only recommend Hard and Nightmare to people who are already familiar with the game.

In fact, I probably wouldn't normally recommend Nightmare at all. I'm doing a no-carry over Nightmare play of 3rd right now and it's eating me alive.

Gu4n

I'm saying that just because
Alisa's victory is inevitable doesn't mean that love confession and kiss~ scene
is canon. :p
What romance is canon is the last thing I'm interested in this series. I went with Laura the first time around and Sara on the second. The scene with Fie is the sweetest.

Jolkien

Let me preface this by saying that FC and SC were never balanced properly for difficulty modes. SC also starts pulling some tricks on you, combat-wise. As a result, I usually only recommend Hard and Nightmare to people who are already familiar with the game.

In fact, I probably wouldn't normally recommend Nightmare at all. I'm doing a no-carry over Nightmare play of 3rd right now and it's eating me alive.

Thanks. I'll play it on normal then. I can't wait to see where the story goes with the ending of FC. It's eating me alive :p

Just so I can temper my expectations how big of a cliffhanger is the ending of SC ? Since we don't know if we will get the third game.

What romance is canon is the last thing I'm interested in this series. I went with Laura the first time around and Sara on the second. The scene with Fie is the sweetest.

I don't care for it either, but when a series is still running and there's an impending sequel on the way, I like to know what foundation the story will start on, and relationship is a part of that.

Zero spoiler
Lloyd and Ellie could share a romantic moment together there, but despite being the closest thing to canon choice in Zero, we know by Ao that it didn't happen canonically since they didn't start as lovers.

Gu4n

Thanks. I'll play it on normal then. I can't wait to see where the story goes with the ending of FC. It's eating me alive :p

Just so I can temper my expectations how big of a cliffhanger is the ending of SC ? Since we don't know if we will get the third game.
No cliffhanger at all. Not to undermine its importance, but the 3rd is a sidestory that falls outside the scope of the overarching storyline. It advances the world building, not the story -- hence Falcom refers to it as the 'Advanced Chapter' rather than the 'Third Chapter'.

Top Bottom