• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

All this antenna talk is catching my interest. You can get a collection of HD channels for free (sans the antenna purchase price)?

What ports do these things plug into on the TV? The regular cable input?

I live on a high floor, so I could see it working pretty well here. How much space does the antenna really take up?

Being able to get some news channels, weather network, and channels that show some reality TV and/or shows like Simpsons and Bones would make my girlfriend really happy.
If your really curious just to test it out and have some speaker wire hanging around, you can use that to create an antenna. It will be low power so you won't get buffalo and fox but for CBC and CTV you'll get just fine. I even got the shopping channel the other day lol. City TV & Global are in and out. Its cool to see how moving the wire a milinetre can be the difference between getting a channel and not getting one. I'd be curious how many channels you get with a speaker wire if your downtown. I'm near the airport so downtown in a high apartment you'd probably get more. I find this shit fascinating. I watched the leafs game Saturday in crystal clear HD by putting a speaker wire into my coaxial input. Fucking magic!

krae_man

If you're in an apartment building what side you are on will impact things. I bought a cheap antenna to test if it was worth getting a good one and I went from only being able to get TVO and CKCO, to getting CITY as well.

That website says I should be able to get about a dozen channels. I can't even get CBC. I still haven't bought that supposedly awesome antenna from Canada Computers yet so maybe that will help but not getting CBC has to be a line of sight issue.

jl4855

If you're in an apartment building what side you are on will impact things. I bought a cheap antenna to test if it was worth getting a good one and I went from only being able to get TVO and CKCO, to getting CITY as well.

That website says I should be able to get about a dozen channels. I can't even get CBC. I still haven't bought that supposedly awesome antenna from Canada Computers yet so maybe that will help but not getting CBC has to be a line of sight issue.

if you can bounce of buildings you'll be fine. I'm in a townhouse in markham facing north and I still get about 10 channels or so. Not as many as my buddy who's downtown facing the tower, just aim your antenna there and you'll get tons of US stations too.

Omlagus

Aiming for the CN Tower is key, and if you can get decent elevation then so much the better. As I said earlier, I'm up in Vaughan, but the antenna is on the roof pointed to the tower and I can pick up a good 18 - 20 channels.

The HD quality is amazing. Shits all over what you get from Rogers or Bell.

I've gotten word that the Watch Dogs event, like the game, has been delayed until Spring 2014. No clue whether its going to be private like AC3 or open to the public like ACIV.

whitehawk

Banned
1. So people are going to the AC4 event? I'll go as long as I knew a few of you guys are going as well. Meetup beforehand like last time?

2. Oh man, I think I need to fund this project: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/toronto-battle-bar
Guy wants to build a gaming/LAN/Esport bar in Toronto. He has experience owning another internet cafe in the city, so it looks like a real project with experienced people. I've always been jealous of other cities with this kind of thing. I want it!

Rinoa

Going to the AC4 event, it's at the old Pier 4 which is the most piratey restaurant in town, but that place is now redesigned as Amsterdam Brewery.

Sober

1. So people are going to the AC4 event? I'll go as long as I knew a few of you guys are going as well. Meetup beforehand like last time?
Yeah I have an impromptu field trip for my writing class but I'll see if I can sneak out a little early and head down by 9 or so.

zorbsie

I'm going to try and make it to the AC4 event. Can't wait to see if they have a debug version on the game on display like they did for AC3. KA-KAW!

Sober

None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me!
You should be scared, for I am a generic Asian and I know generic Gong Fu. (It's not Kung Fu, dammit!)

Also, will I be the only Generic Asian at this party? C'mon TO-GAF, you can do better. (Should've set AC4 during the Ming Dynasty or something to attract them Asian markets)

whitehawk

Banned
Didn't stay too long. Glad I checked it out though. The Dual Shock 4 is pretty cool. Much much better than the DS3. The Xbox One controller is also good though. I'm honestly not sure which one I like better. I'll have to have more time with both of them.

Assassins 4 was neat. Haven't played much of the series so I don't have much to compare. The naval battles were cool. Except I didn't like that if you were in "combat" with another ship, you couldn't leave the wheel. I wish it would give me more freedom. I wanted to set sail towards a ship, climb to a high point and jump over to it. Oh well.

Oh, and there is a loading screen after you jump on a ship and grab the wheel. What a shame.

Also, Soultron where were you?! Didn't see you anywhere.
What's going on at the ac4 dealie? Worth going to after the Leafs game?
Not a bad idea. A chance to try out the DS4, Assasins 4 and some free food. If you're going to stop by a pub afterwards anyway, this would be a good choice.

Feel like I should put this down before I forget. I just did a huge disservice to game and audio design of the Assassin's Creed Dev team. I didn't feel like wearing the stupid headset because I didn't think I could possibly need the sound but it threw off my game so much because I couldn't hear.

Good god I posted a wall of text in the Black Flag OT. Oh and Full Boost just got a console release date. So great night overall guys! I had fun and now I really need to get some sleep.

Zips

If your really curious just to test it out and have some speaker wire hanging around, you can use that to create an antenna. It will be low power so you won't get buffalo and fox but for CBC and CTV you'll get just fine. I even got the shopping channel the other day lol. City TV & Global are in and out. Its cool to see how moving the wire a milinetre can be the difference between getting a channel and not getting one. I'd be curious how many channels you get with a speaker wire if your downtown. I'm near the airport so downtown in a high apartment you'd probably get more. I find this shit fascinating. I watched the leafs game Saturday in crystal clear HD by putting a speaker wire into my coaxial input. Fucking magic!

No speaker wires on hand, unfortunately. Not downtown either.

Still interested though, especially if I could get one and just return it if the channel reception isn't satisfactory. Is that one linked earlier the best/most reliable around? Any other good ones to consider? I'd be so happy to get an ok/decent group of channels and avoid paying those horrible cable fees.

Sober

I'm down. Hoping to snag a 3 day before they sell out....
Pretty much taking a streetcar to class, so at least I'll have data to try to buy it over my phone. Is it just the one set of tickets or will there be additional sets after today sells out?

explodet

where did you work and why did it end?
iOS game company, I won't name names (don't like talking trash), but I'm fairly sure about 3 people on GAF has ever heard of them. The revenue was at a low point and they needed to cut costs, so I got laid off.

Didn't help that I was essentially off the game team for half the time I was there in order to help another company work on another kind of app altogether. So for 5 months I wasn't even working on games.

I'm trying not to be bitter.

Top Bottom