• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We need an OFFICIAL FINAL FANTASY III (DS) Prediction Topic

donny2112 said:
The real variable is if the DS game buying public will fork over the console price of the game to play it. I'm counting on the Final Fantasy (PS2) buying public to show up in force, though.

I dunno, the PS2 Final Fantasies were brand new games, though.

I think FF III might not be quite as hot as commodity in Japan as it seems to NA/Euro gamers. For nearly everyone outside of Japan, FF III seems brand new because we've never played it and don't know much about it.

But in Japan, it's a remake of a game that some people HAVE played, or at least know something about. A great graphical overhaul, sure, but it's still an older/existing game.

ethelred

Greenpanda said:
I dunno, the PS2 Final Fantasies were brand new games, though.

I think FF III might not be quite as hot as commodity in Japan as it seems to NA/Euro gamers. For nearly everyone outside of Japan, FF III seems brand new because we've never played it and don't know much about it.

But in Japan, it's a remake of a game that some people HAVE played, or at least know something about. A great graphical overhaul, sure, but it's still an older/existing game.

Certainly it's a remake, but I don't think that lack of novelty is going to hurt it as much as you seem to think here -- it is, after all, the remake that the PS2-FF-buying Japanese public voted for. When they were asked which Final Fantasy they'd like to see remade, this is the one they picked. So I think there's definitely quite a bit of interest there.

And while many people have played it... it's also important to keep in mind that the game has never been ported to another system. FFI, II, IV, V, and VI have all received multiple ports and rereleases, so you just can't draw a direct comparison between what they did on the GBA and what FFIII will do.

I think in most respects it'll still feel brand new even in Japan. It's a fairly major overhaul, about twenty times more major than that received by any prior FF, beyond just the extensive graphical change; it's the game they voted for; and it just hasn't been kept on the market in Japan like all the others.

ethelred said:
And while many people have played it... it's also important to keep in mind that the game has never been ported to another system. FFI, II, IV, V, and VI have all received multiple ports and rereleases, so you just can't draw a direct comparison between what they did on the GBA and what FFIII will do.

Oh, yeah, I agree it'll definitely do a lot more than the GBA releases :) . Besides the fact that it's a more substantial remake, as you said, FF III hasn't been re-released in ages (since the original Famicom release, in fact). I'm sure there are plenty of Japanese gamers who haven't played it, either!

duckroll

I'm a firm believer that the low price of DS software (especially those with huge legs) is a big contributing factor to non-gamers and the mainstream. Considering FF3's price, I'm almost certain people that expect it to fall into the same category as Nintendo first-party titles will be sorely disappointed. The game will be a huge success if it passes a million.

Amir0x said:
man you guys are underestimating this. It's Final Fantasy remake, and it's on DS! Anything is possible! The sky! The heavens! The universe and more!

First week: 650,000
First month: 1,300,000
First year: 2,400,000
Lifetime: infinity

A remake on a handheld selling more than the main series on PS2? Highly unlikely imo...

I'll say sth. along these lines:

First week: ~300k
First month: ~600k
First year: ~900k
Lifetime: ~1m

Bo130

According to GameFront, japanese retailers have ordered a total of 400-450k Final Fantasy III games for the releasedate (24.08.06)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hmmm... well, I'll go for broke.

1st Day: 250k
1st Week: 500k
1st Month: 1.5m
1st Year: 3m

Hell, why not? First main series FF on a Nintendo system since FFVI, which happens to be the most popular system in the country, and a full on complete remake with full on hype? Aim for the sky! :lol

heidern

1st week: 620K
1st year: 1.3M

I think this game will go down very well since it fits in with the DS philosophy of attracting people who used to play games. In fact it's appeal I think mirrors that of New Super Mario Bros. The NES era gamers that left the industry are perfect candidates for this game. Combining the appeal of the early FFs with some of what made FF7 appeal to a wider audience I think this game could be very important for the industry. Being a remake will limit it, and FF has been on the decline, but with it being on the DS which is shattering sales records I wouldn't be surprised if the game hit 2 million(although I don't expect it to)

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
All of you missed that FFXII handed 75% of the total sales on launch week? :/

and you forget that the worst handed S-E game on DS is around 37% (Children of Mana) ? :)

i predict 250k for first week, 450k first month, 750k end of 2006

Amir0x

Banned
jj984jj said:
They aren't shipping enough to meet your first week prediction.

duh, time distortion

but basically the first week is a 'everything they manage to ship' prediction

Well, if that is true. I'm thinking that it might do 300,000 or so. Just what I predicted a few weeks ago. I'm now thinking that it might be able to get up over a million though. It should get a bump from when Pokemon comes out at the end of September, right as it's numbers are going to start falling to 20,000 or so. I think it will get numerous bumps every 2 weeks or so, and then get moderate sales during New Years (that is what Japan celebrates right?), moving it to 1,000,000. After that I don't think it will get anymore revivals.

It's gonna do really well in its first week, maybe 400k-500k by people who already own a DS and the extra shipments.

I think that it'll have more legs than a standard FF game, because of the fact that there aren't enough DS Lites for people to buy in launch week.

I expect it to end up near or at 2 million.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
square titles fall off pretty quickly it seems

700k 1st week

first four weeks 1mill

end of the year 1.4 mill

edit fixed

sp0rsk said:
square titles fall off pretty quickly it seems

700k 1st week

first four weeks 1mill

end of the year 1.4 mill

edit fixed

While it won't sell as much as FFXII, it'll sell for longer because there's less DS Lites for FF fans to buy.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
First week = 420k
First month = 800k
End of the year = 1.3m
Lifetime = 1.5m

jarrod

Banned
LanceStern said:
FFI, II, IV etc have all done less than 300,000 (LTD) on the popular GBA system.
They were also outsourced ports and it was their 4th respective releases. FF3 isn't exactly comparable.

LanceStern said:
Children of Mana (DS) was expected to do huge numbers as well, and while it does have long legs, it still did relatively low (inching to 300,000).
A genre divergent, low budget, outsourced spinoff of a C-grade franchise was expected to do huge numbers? News to me...

jesusraz

Well, didn't New Super Mario Bros. 'only' have 800,000 units pre-ordered from retailers, then ended up selling 900,000 in the first week? Shipments can increase...

I'm going with 500,000 for FFIII in the first week :)

donny2112

Pureauthor said:
Quite frankly, I'm going with however many units they managed to ship by the time August 24 rolls around.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!
Assuming that lowball number of 400K-450K is correct.

apujanata

Since 24 August is just around the corner, I'm reminding people who wanted to predict, but haven't done so, in this official topic. :)

Participant (up to post 100, alphabetized) :

A Link to the Past (not complete)
Amir0x
apujanata
Archie
Barf_the_Mog
Bizarro Sun Yat-sen (not complete)
bmf (not complete)
Bo130
Calidor
charlequin
cvxfreak