• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ChinaJoy 2017: Monkey King Hero Is Back Announced for PlayStation 4 (AAA, China)

I love how there are only 6,400+ views, 3 likes and no comments.

Seriosuly I don't know if you guys know about this, but most Chinese gamers absolutely don't care about console AAA gaming, it's been that way since 10 years ago when I was studying in Shenzhen.

They have been playing F2P online games for more than 10 years, and it's hardwired in their taste of gaming. Even when they play AAA games they just download them instead of buying them, most of the time with translation mod installed.

It has been this way for years, games didn't sold well in China not because no one play them, but because no one actually buy them.

My old friend in middle school , who is from 杭州 (don't know the name in English), have never spend a dime on games in his entire life, and now he is in China e-sports. Absolutely crazy.

Seriously, China don't care.

Seriosuly I don't know if you guys know about this, but most Chinese gamers absolutely don't care about console AAA gaming, it's been that way since 10 years ago when I was studying in Shenzhen.

They have been playing F2P online games for more than 10 years, and it's hardwired in their taste of gaming. Even when they play AAA games they just download them instead of buying them, most of the time with translation mod installed.

It has been this way for years, games didn't sold well in China not because no one play them, but because no one actually buy them.

My friend in middle school , who is from 杭州 (don't know the name in English), have never spend a dime on games in his entire life, and now he is in China e-sports. Crazy.

Maybe that's because it was never properly introduced or rather couldn't be propery introduced?

Maybe that's because it was never properly introduced or rather couldn't be propery introduced?

I doubt those people who suddenly pay full price for games that they usually just download from the internet free without any penalty. Chinese government absolutely don't care about game piracy, you can show your pirated games to a police and they wouldn't even give a shit.

Even Chinese game developers are frustrated by this, which is why they are starting to aim towards you, western people.

My old friend in middle school , who is from 杭州 (don't know the name in English), have never spend a dime on games in his entire life, and now he is in China e-sports. Absolutely crazy.

Yes, this is because games consoles have been banned in China until very recently (see: here).

No one expects China to suddenly start buying games consoles en-masse, however, with legalization of console sales and increased investment in the territory (especially in locally owned and developed software IP), the home console industry in China will only grow.

It's about the long-term outlook than any immediate success. And Sony partnering with local Chinese publishers and developers to produce Chinese developed software IP which can also be marketed and sold in the mammoth western and international markets is lays a good solid foundation to achieving this goal.

China is a HUGE consumer market for entertainment products (see movies). One which is often seen to follow global trends. So it's naive to think that just because the console market barely exists there now, it will never do so in future.

Keinning

It might be pure, unfounded fear but i'm actually quite scared of the impact chinese money could have on AAA development, making it even more expensive and risk-averse than today. Kinda like the impact it had on football.

It might be pure, unfounded fear but i'm actually quite scared of the impact chinese money could have on AAA development, making it even more expensive and risk-averse than today. Kinda like the impact it had on football.
I for one look forward to Call of Duty: Black Ops Oh Wow They Just Took A Plane To China We Need To Go To China Too Oh Look New Chinese Teammates Man China Is So Great Product Placement.

Mephala

I'm actually at ChinaJoy right now, I'll probably do a write up about the convention after it's done. It's getting bigger and bigger each year, but this year especially, there seems to be a lot more indie guys showing up. The bigger companies are also starting to venture into "single" player games, since many game developers here believe WeGame from Tencent will be a hit.

So I think you'll probably be seeing a lot more Chinese titles in the future. And a lot of them are pretty diverse, not the Three Kingdoms or Journey to the West derivatives. Take the title I'm working on, My Time at Portia, if I didn't tell you, you probably wouldn't guess it's a Chinese title. A lot of the other Chinese games I've heard of or seen are like that. Anyway, I'll have more when I do the write up, a lot of interesting stuff here.

I have a lot of friends in China and I've played a few games developed there. I know it is a lot more than just traditional Chinese fantasy type stuff, it is part of the reasons I'm interested. I'd love to read about it. If you don't mind shooting me a PM when its up that would be great.

Definitely before, because Trunks was the one to bring it to the past to begin with.

Wait, how did Trunks do that? He hasn't even crossed the Grand Line and we all know you can't find the dragon balls without crossing the line into venturing into the New World.

FelipeMGM

I dont see how they would relate really. There is a big diference there, the exorbitant amounts they pay to players is because they dont have any material of higher quality there, so they ''import'' foreign players (and also, the amount they pay for some average and decaying players looks very risky to me lol)

In game development they dont have that issue, they have loads of local talent there. You already have a bunch of Chinese developers working on contract on some of the biggest games in the market (see Virtous). If anything developing AAA games in China will be cheaper.

Shin-Ra

Firstly:
HolyShit.gif

This may be the closest thing we get to Lily Bergamo any time soon.

Secondly, it's weird that Oasis Games would handle WW distribution when SIE's already established that side of business.

Thirdly, Hexadrive finally getting to flex their tech muscles with a more interesting project.

HexaDrive are good with tech aspects.
Unless it's a Switch-launch Unity game. ;)

Shin-Ra

Can't find an official trailer upload on the SIE Japan or Asia YouTube channels or Oasis Games' site.

Maybe they'll post on the blog here eventually: http://en.console.oasgames.com/blog

edit: About Oasis Games
A leading independent Chinese game company, Oasis Games prides itself on serving as an ambassador for China's massive gaming community to the West with its strategic business endeavors. Established in 2011, Oasis Games was one of the first publishers in China to deliver online games to overseas markets, currently reaching over 100 million players in 70 countries. The company continues its pioneering presence as the first, and currently sole, strategic publishing partner of Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) Shanghai for the overseas publishing market—uniquely positioning Oasis Games to bring high quality Chinese games to PlayStation® players worldwide. Its blockbuster online RPG, Legend Online has attracted over 50 million players in China and Naruto Online, the official RPG browser game of the Naruto franchise has amassed a global following. The award-winning exploration adventure game, KOI, was Oasis Games' PlayStation®4 console debut for the western market.
If the game turns out well, hopefully it's not download only.

FelipeMGM

Secondly, it's weird that Oasis Games would handle WW distribution when SIE's already established that side of business.

I was wondering about this too

Maybe it has something to do with some protectionist entertainment laws in China, like it needs to be distributed by a Chinese company or something

Movies have similar ''issues'' to be released IN China, thats one of the reasons many blockbuster have Chinese production companies behind them, (and the rivers of money ofc)

Best guess I cant take

Can't find an official trailer upload on the SIE Japan or Asia YouTube channels or Oasis Games' site.

Maybe they'll post on the blog here eventually: http://en.console.oasgames.com/blog

edit: About Oasis Games

If the game turns out well, hopefully it's not download only.

Found it reshosted here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJvWAHBuJjo

Its based on a movie btw. Its on Singapore Netflix , not sure about the rest of the world.

https://www.netflix.com/watch/80109...c3ff:e5b54a3a4dd0359328d48a86239a85e22ccde5da

Shin-Ra

Yeah, I was just hoping to find a version that could roughly be described as HD. Even 480p without the early 2000's RealVideo quality!

MattAces

So right now, we don't know about a western release? The page translation is pretty rough. =P

Oasis Game will publish it worldwide.

《大圣归来》IP授权方十月文化将负责监修,而绿洲游戏则负责游戏在海内外的发行
http://www.acfun.cn/a/ac3878895

Just in case anybody wants to copy and paste for google translates.

Stitch

Gold Member
Man, they really love the Monkey King in China.
They already had many movies and TV series & they're still pumping them out like crazy. And now even video games.

ArjanN

Man, they really love the Monkey King in China.
They already had many movies and TV series & they're still pumping them out like crazy. And now even video games.

Journey to the West is one of the four great classical novels of Chinese literature along with Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Water Margin (Suikoden)

Think along the lines of something like King Arthur or Robin Hood in the west, in that there's a million adaptations and more or less everyone is familiar with it.

Kaizer

Banned
Looks interesting for sure, I remember playing a PS1 Monkey King game when I was a kid based on a cartoon show called "Monkey Magic".

StereoVsn

Not sure about this particular game, it could be decent actually, but I do like that "My Time At Portia" title idea. To the Wishlist it goes!

Separately I would love a full on AAA Wuxia/Xianxia style RPG with Witcher 3 level of details.

Shin-Ra

HexaDrive's looking for staff in a wide variety of roles: planners, designers, artists, programmers and a manager, so they're not simply Unreal Engine 4 tools and rendering support for this.

MonkeyKingPS4-career.jpg

MonkeyKingPS4-planner.jpg

MonkeyKingPS4-designer.jpg

MonkeyKingPS4-programmer.jpg

MonkeyKingPS4-manager.jpg

MonkeyKingPS4-background.jpg

CamHostage

Hexa Drive hasn't had a big original project in a while, mostly it's been doing remasters and assistance work, but when you look at stuff like EX Troopers (too bad we can't...) and Third Birthday, I think they're a good choice beyond their technical prowess. Plus having Japan Studio oversee the title seems like a strong partnership. Good luck!

Interesting that, even though it's a Chinese company doing a major franchise project (though I'm not sure how big this Netflix CGI Monkey King is?), they chose a Japanese studio to make the game. October Media could have spun off a games division (looks like they have their movie producers working on modeling/art to some degree for the game) or hired a studio nearby, but they wanted experience and technical craftsmanship. China is rising in game development staff, but I think they made a good choice not trying to get a homegrown studio to get this game done.

Hexa Drive hasn't had a big original project in a while, mostly it's been doing remasters and assistance work, but when you look at stuff like EX Troopers (too bad we can't...) and Third Birthday, I think they're a good choice beyond their technical prowess. Plus having Japan Studio oversee the title seems like a strong partnership. Good luck!

Interesting that, even though it's a Chinese company doing a major franchise project (though I'm not sure how big this Netflix Monkey King is?), they chose a Japanese studio to make the game. China is rising in game development staff, but I think they made a good choice not trying to get a homegrown studio to get this game done.
According to dualshockers it's the highest grossing film in the history of China at its release

CamHostage

According to dualshockers it's the highest grossing film in the history of China at its release

Hmmm .. are they not confusing this with the 2014 movie (which starred Donnie Yen, and had a 3D sequel didn't have Yen?)

I'm having trouble looking it up because, you know, "Monkey King" (there's like two or three PS4 Monkey King games alone, one just came out on PSN a few weeks ago,) but I know about the live-action Monkey King and not this animated Monkey King that the game is based on (though I admit, I'm very confused by all these monkeys...)

CamHostage

Mmm not sure it just said based of the 2015 movie directed by tian xiao peng
Not familiar with it tho
http://www.dualshockers.com/monkey-king-hero-back-confirmed-western-release-ps4/

Yeah, they're right, I'm wrong. I guess EVERY Monkey King movie breaks all box-office records in China...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_King:_Hero_Is_Back

(*It helps when you cast Jackie Chan as your star, for sure...)
(**EDIT** Damn me! I'm wrong again, Jackie only did the English dub, looks like Lei Zhang starred as the Monkey King in the Chinese release.)

Movie trailer is below, for those like me not up on the film (it has the same title, Monkey King: Hero is Back) that the game is spun off from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v33o9deALkA

One of my dream games is a coop Journey to the west where you control the three disciples and travel through the whole journey.

This is the first step towards it.

Loudninja

Here's Oasis Games' worldwide distribution announcement:

http://oasgames.com/en/news_details9.html
Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia, October Media, and Oasis Games announced Monkey King: Hero Is Back The Game for PlayStation 4 during Sony’s ChinaJoy 2017 press conference.

The game, which is based on the 2015 animated movie of the same name, is developed by Sony Interactive Entertainment and Hexa Drive, supervised by IP holder October Media, and will be distributed worldwide by Oasis Games.

Described as a “monster-slaying adventure,” players will be able to play as Monkey King or Jiang Lieur, and experience the story of the movie alongside new chapters and enemies, as well as unique levels.

In China, Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia will release a commemorative PlayStation 4 top cover themed after the upcoming game.
Lots going on there lol.

MattAces

Yeah, they're right, I'm wrong. I guess EVERY Monkey King movie breaks all box-office records in China...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_King:_Hero_Is_Back

(*It helps when you cast Jackie Chan as your star, for sure...)
(**EDIT** Damn me! I'm wrong again, Jackie only did the English dub, looks like Lei Zhang starred as the Monkey King in the Chinese release.)

Movie trailer is below, for those like me not up on the film (it has the same title, Monkey King: Hero is Back) that the game is spun off from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v33o9deALkA

No wonder they're going all out with marketing and custom ps4's

There is like, not kidding, yearly film for Monkey King and they are always god awful. It's always a reboot with different actors and stuff. Monkey King is like the Spider-Man* of Asian culture, not only China, South East Asia is big on this guy too. It's widely known by every elder people and parents.

Top Bottom