• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Codex's 2014 Role-Playing Game of the Year Awards

Dennis

Banned
So Dragon Age: Inquistion sucks, huh?

I was hoping it would be a return to Origins.

I haven't played the game but it looks like I am not missing out on much.

DMiz

I'd never heard of NEO Scavenger, so I decided to pop by over on YouTube to see some gameplay footage.

This game seems to be both for me and against me... there are a lot of interesting sub-systems and tiny details that you need to be paying attention to, but at the same time, the minimalist presentation and the UI overall just doesn't do it for me.

There were tons of threads on GAF recently that had all of us talking about what worked and what didn't. Not to derail the thread over-much, but I typed up a rather lengthy post on what I thought was its major flaws in comparison to DA:O and what I thought was the most relevant contemporary to it, Xenoblade.

orborborb

FFXIII, FFXIII-2, and Risen 3 are quite underrated.

Pier Solar and Valkyria Chronicles are overrated

Otherwise not a bad list.

Pretty much what I expected. Though I will say that personally I think D:OS is a little overrated.

I agree but in terms of "RPG that was actually released in 2014 that wasn't some kind of re-release like Dragonfall or Valkyria" I don't really know what competition it had. Off the top of my head its two competitors would be DA:I and Wasteland 2, two games that I did not enjoy at all whereas I at least enjoyed D:OS when it let me mess with the tactical environmental combat.

I was hyped for Shadowrun but, then I hear it sucked and the sequel was better? I heard the game was like 3-5 hours long and basically a glorified flashgame. Can anyone clarify?

hemtae

I agree but in terms of "RPG that was actually released in 2014 that wasn't some kind of re-release like Dragonfall or Valkyria" I don't really know what competition it had. Off the top of my head its two competitors would be DA:I and Wasteland 2, two games that I did not enjoy at all whereas I at least enjoyed D:OS when it let me mess with the tactical environmental combat.

Dragonfall non-director's cut released this year.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Dragonfall wasnt a rerelease.

I was hyped for Shadowrun but, then I hear it sucked and the sequel was better? I heard the game was like 3-5 hours long and basically a glorified flashgame. Can anyone clarify?

The first campaign was largely a demonstration of what you could do with the campaign builder. It was functional and unambitious and delivered exactly what the Kickstarter promised. In light of so many failed and disappointing Kickstarter releases I am saying these things as a compliment. They had a basic goal, to release a Shadowrun campaign creator and a basic campaign on a limited budget, and they just did that. I don't think it was bad even at the time of release but it wasn't much to write home about either. "Glorified flash game" is much too harsh.

The second game is much better, but it was also built on the feedback they had from the first game and unburdened by having to ship along side a fully featured campaign creator (although they did still put some work in that). It was a lot better, and then they released basically an expanded version that incorporated even more feedback and refinements that made it even better. Personally I would put it as number 1 of a 2014 RPG list if I didn't feel that was cheating since it didn't really come out in 2014, at least not entirely.

Almighty

I would of given it to Wasteland 2 with Dragonfall being a close second. D:OS had fantastic combat and will be the benchmark in that area for a while, but everything else about it was pretty average at best I thought.

It was really good but I don't think it was truly great until Director's Cut. Probably just semantics to say it didn't "really" come out in 2014 but it's how I feel.

Well, both versions of Dragonfall came out in 2014 (as an expansion in February, as the Director's Cut in September). Surely that means that it absolutely was released on that year in every context, even semantically?

Shepard

I would of given it to Wasteland 2 with Dragonfall being a close second. D:OS had fantastic combat and will be the benchmark in that area for a while, but everything else about it was pretty average at best I thought.

Original Sin's writting, characters and side quests are far from "average at best". They are basically what kept me playing after I've experienced how unforgiving the combat can be in the early game. The team knew what was necessary to make a good RPG, so they flashed out these areas and the game is phenomenal because of it.

Miletius

Not a bad list. Neo Scaenger is out of beta eh? I should go back to it, after I'm done with Dead State.

Reminds me how many good RPG's were released last year.

Almighty

Original Sin's writting, characters and side quests are far from "average at best". They are basically what kept me playing after I've experienced how unforgiving the combat can be in the early game. The team knew what was necessary to make a good RPG, so they flashed out these areas and the game is phenomenal because of it.

Different strokes for different folks.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I definitely agree with their top two choices (they were mine as well). I am going to have to go check out NEO Scavenger and Heroine's Quest. Both of those passed by without catching my attention on release.

I will say this about RPG Codex, I don't think I could ever stand to post (or even read for an extended time) on their site, but they put together good lists of games. Their top 50 cRPG list they put out last year was fantastic.

Almighty

I definitely agree with their top two choices (they were mine as well). I am going to have to go check out NEO Scavenger and Heroine's Quest. Both of those passed by without catching my attention on release.

Yeah I am reminded again that as some one who loved the Quest for Glories I really need to check out Heroine's Quest by the looks of it. It's free on Steam so no reason not to.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Yeah I am reminded again that as some one who loved the Quest for Glories I really need to check out Heroine's Quest by the looks of it. It's free on Steam so no reason not to.

Yeah, I just downloaded it to make sure I don't forget in the future. I have to play Dead State first, but will get to it after.

Edit: As for the writing in Divinity, I agree it isn't Dragonfall, Wasteland 2, or South Park, but I thought it certainly had a charm to it. Made it a bit more memorable than it probably would have been otherwise.

epmode

QFG is probably my favorite Sierra series. Even though Sierra-style adventure games are pretty "in" these days, it still feels utterly unique.

Almighty

QFG is probably my favorite Sierra series. Even though Sierra-style adventure games are pretty "in" these days, it still feels utterly unique.

It was a shame that RPG/Adventure hybrids like QfG didn't take off like I hoped they would back in the day. Though if this Heroine's Quest is as good as people are saying and with Mage's Initiation(from the people who did the remake of QfG2 and other Sierra titles) coming out hopefully this year it isn't looking too bad.

Full users survey (1300 votes) below. It's been an extraordinary year, certainly compared to the trash of previous years. Dragonfall and Original Sin were the stand-outs this year imo.

D8rSXxd.png
RPG Codex creates a Bayesian average?!?

swoon

I thought Dragon Age: Inquisition was supposed to be a good game?

"Bad Rating - 52%" makes me think that it might've been "cool" to hate on it, wherever RPG Codex is.

"Bad Rating - 52%" makes me think that it might've been "cool" to hate on it, wherever RPG Codex is.
I think that it's a game you really need to play. Reading what others say about it won't be enough. It's going to click for some people, and it's going to really not click for others.

Dennis

Banned
I don't think there is a gaming sites' opinion on RPGs that I value more than RPG Codex.

There are individual gaffers and a few others but for sites it is number one.

Begaria

Lords of Xulima in the top 10, well being 10 anyways, makes me happy. I am about 60 hours into it and it is actually a damn fine game. Wish I had been one of its backers now. Great list. 2014 was awesome for us PC RPG players and 2015 looks just as good.

Lords of Xulima in the top 10, well being 10 anyways, makes me happy. I am about 60 hours into it and it is actually a damn fine game. Wish I had been one of its backers now. Great list. 2014 was awesome for us PC RPG players and 2015 looks just as good.

Agreed. It's definitely one of the more challenging games to come out, requiring careful consideration for how you build your characters.

I'd like to try some of those JRPG's, Trails in the Sky seems to be a big hit.

wutwutwut

e: and Ys Origins too, I fucked up
Don't know about Trails, but yes, you did. The Ys games are some of the most fun I've had in the last few years.

On topic: cool list. Don't really have the time for WRPG timesinks any more, but I'll probably pick up Grimrock 2 at some point.

Some Nobody

Mmn, it's kinda polarizing. Basically, watch some footage and realize that the complaints people are making are accurate. If they sound like deal breakers, then walk away. People who love the game, even if they won't admit it, love it despite those deal breakers, not because "they aren't that bad".

Its real pretty to look at. If you like the lore of Dragon Age, then its all right. If you like typical BioWare power fantasy and companion characters then its all right.

Otherwise, its just chock full of really mindless Ubisoft / MMO style collectable quests and deeply unsatisfying combat. That's not even getting to the crappy job they did with the PC version's controls and bugs and how they gimped the companion Tactics or the Tactical View being worthless.

Its got issues. But if you're ok with mindless MMO quests and like pretty environments its merely ok. Just don't expect it to be a return to Origins cause that's not the case at all.

I totally forgot that they completely borked the PC port. I heard the controls are terrible for mouse and keyboard on that platform. That's another factor that explains why it's not so well received on RPG Codex (among the game's other flaws).

Nice to see Dragonfall there. I'm about 4h into it, and while it hasn't really floored me in any way so far, it's pretty good and ticks all the right boxes in terms of what mechanics I want in an RPG. I probably need to keep going with it.

South Park was a pretty good interactive episode of series, but not really a great RPG. It shouldn't be higher then that. Transistor is weird to se on the list at all. Dragon Age does deserves to be higher then both of them, but I can see why it fell down the list, since the flaws in it really are provocative to the hardcore fans of the genre.

Tommyhawk

Very good list! I will check out NEO Scavenger sounds promising.
And yes Divinity: OS (fantastic gameplay but the dialogues and the story were a bit on the weak site) and Dragonfall (very good story and characters but the combat wasn't as good as in Divinity) are awesome RPGs which I thoroughly enjoyed.

demidar

Regardless of the game's flaws, that's pretty obviously what happened in this particular poll.

Or it could be that these people have high standards to RPGs and found DA:I wanting?

It could go either way honestly, but I fall on the side of them knowing what they're talking about (despite the rather coy tone) given what games did reach the top of the list (cRPGs, WRPGs, JRPGs, SRPGs).

Top Bottom