• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Codex's 2014 Role-Playing Game of the Year Awards

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If it's not on PC then RPG Codex doesn't care, which is why no Tales games.

I don't quite undertand this, since they are calling themselves RPG Codex, not "PC-RPG-Codex". What's the logic behind narrowing the genre down to PC? I'm definitely not a friend of PCs (and in fact write for a website who does not report about PC games), but if I were to make a "Platformer Codex" site, of course I'd include PC (and mobile phones), or call it console-platformer codex.

Also what's the point behind this aggressive tone in the article? Weaboos, JRPG-haters and so on. Can't someone just like or dislike a game without being some kind of crazy person?

Staf

Codex pretty much nails the list. Only thing i would change is upping Banner saga to top 5, or even top 3. Awesome game.

gngf123

Good list.

I should really get around to playing Neo Scavenger and Might & Magic X.

Also, looking at how they compute their results makes me wish GAF did something similar.

Almighty

I don't quite undertand this, since they are calling themselves RPG Codex, not "PC-RPG-Codex". What's the logic behind narrowing the genre down to PC? I'm definitely not a friend of PCs (and in fact write for a website who does not report about PC games), but if I were to make a "Platformer Codex" site, of course I'd include PC (and mobile phones), or call it console-platformer codex.

Also what's the point behind this aggressive tone in the article? Weaboos, JRPG-haters and so on. Can't someone just like or dislike a game without being some kind of crazy person?

It's a website that is a heaven for bitter as fuck Computer RPG fans who have spent most of the last decade or so complaining about the decline of the RPG genre.

Well, that's RPG Codex for you.
The anti-JRPG brigade is my favorite lol. Just don't take them too seriously, they have good articles but they're also on a completely different level than "average casual gamers". Anyway, they have a discussion about the recent neoGAF's essential RPGs.

Verger

Banned
Any of these games have good narrative/stories or compelling worlds/quests?

I want something to turn to after my disappointment with DAI.

For all the praise Divinity has gotten, I've also heard that it is primarily for its gameplay system, and that its stories/quests are not that great (some say even worse than DAI).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

lol the top is silly. They can call themselves whatever they want. They arent obligated to cover consoles.

The site is very aggressive because its filled with elitist, bitter as fuck old school RPG gamers.

hemtae

It was founded by people from the Black Isle/Interplay forums during the tail end of that era of RPGs. Thus more focused on PC stuff and a general love for Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian. The aggressive tone probably has something to do with the fact that two of those three companies are dead.

patapuf

Any of these games have good narrative/stories or compelling worlds/quests?

I want something to turn to after my disappointment with DAI.

For all the praise Divinity has gotten, I've also heard that it is primarily for its gameplay system, and that its stories/quests are not that great (some say even worse than DAI).

Shadowrun Dragonfall has a good story.

Anarchistic cyberpunk setting with some fantasy mixed in. Berlin is one of the best cities for such a setting and they utilise it well.

There's love to details like being able to read forum discussions on stuff that's happening, interesting companions and most importantly the quests themselves have good context. No fetch quest nonsense aside from some tutorial stuff.

demidar

Shadowrun Dragonfall has a good story.

Anarchistic cyberpunk setting with some fantasy mixed in. Berlin is one of the best cities for such a setting and they utilise it well.

There's love to details like being able to read forum discussions on stuff that's happening, interesting companions and most importantly the quests themselves have good context. No fetch quest nonsense aside from some tutorial stuff.

I felt Dragonfall kind of dragged towards the end, mainly because of that mission just before the final one
where you have to resolve a dispute between two gangs in order to get access to the AI in the basement
. With what just transpired, story-wise, it completely stopped dead the escalation that was happening. Once I was done with that mission, the impetus for the final assault faded away.

Durante

What's really amazing is that while the reader's choice results are good, the editor's choice ones are even better. It seems even at the Codex the "masses" fail to fully appreciate the greatness that is Might & Magic X :p

What surprised me was the relatively "low" rating of Wasteland 2 - of course, calling #5 "low" in a year such as this is a bit silly.

And I guess I have to play NEO Scavenger.

Trails in the Sky and Valkyria Chronicles in top ten, and Xenonauts at number 11. Wow.
Yeah, those are pretty damn inclusive results for an RPGCodex poll.

Divinityccertainly deserves the first place. I'm glad it finally gets some recognition.
The biggest issue in the list is reaper of souls' low rank, but no list can be perfect.

Competent stories, characters, combat systems will do that for you

That explains trails, but what about valkyria?

Yoshi

lol the top is silly. They can call themselves whatever they want. They arent obligated to cover consoles.

The site is very aggressive because its filled with elitist, bitter as fuck old school RPG gamers.
Of course they can call themselves whatever they want, but as a genre enthusiast site I think it's not a good idea to exclude (not sure about the percentage) 50% of the market in that genre.

People on RPGCodex like strategic battle systems. I also thought they hate anime more than this but apparently they are more open-minded than people give them credit for!

I certainly hope they didn't give this game any credit for the story and characters, but the battle system wasn't amazing either.

Denton

Of course they can call themselves whatever they want, but as a genre enthusiast site I think it's not a good idea to exclude (not sure about the percentage) 50% of the market in that genre.
They mostly don't give a shit. Codex is crpg focused site and that's good, I enjoy it for that reason.
Lists as accurate as always, good old Codex.
Still remember their brilliant legendary Oblivion review, so fun.

Glad to see Valkyria Chronicles and Trails in the Sky in the top 10. Also glad that people liked LISA, but it has a really small number of votes so I hope more people get exposed to it as time goes on. It was pretty unpolished but definitely one of the more unique and memorable experiences I've had from 2014 with the writing, art, and OST.

Also, I really want DA:I to be good but I find it pretty amusing that it has a lower average than a Compile Heart game.

Corpekata

Banned
Good top list but that excel sheet shows just how obnoxious Codexers are when it comes to dogpiling mainstream stuff. Really, Borderlands is worse than Deus Ex the fall and waifu garbage like Agarest?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Good top list but that excel sheet shows just how obnoxious Codexers are when it comes to dogpiling mainstream stuff. Really, Borderlands is worse than Deus Ex the fall and waifu garbage like Agarest?

TPS has light RPG elements and does very little to rise above the Borderlands 2 foundation on which it is so clearly based -- it's arguably a full-price, half-hearted expansion. I'm not surprised it ranked as low as it did.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I don't always agree with Codex's more militant stance on certain games, but this washes the taste of multiple waifu simulators being in the top ten RPGs of all time according to GAF out of my mouth. There is a reason why Codexers seem obnoxious to the crowd here. They're diametrically opposed in philosophies. Like the Christians and Pagans or something.

vocab

Xulima is legit. Never heard of neo scavenger. I'll check it out. I don't know why people getting upset over their preferences. They like RPGs with actual mechanics with complexity and layers of depth. You should be more grossed out over gafs RPG list because there's some truly bad games in the top 20.

Durante

Larian Studios said:
Only devs who wore the hazmat suit and spent ages tormenting themselves by reading what the RPGCodex forums had to say about their game will understand how proud we are of winning both the Reader's Choice & Editor's Choice awards on the RPGCodex! Quite possibly the award that means the most to us.
They seem happy.

Pooya

I've only played Dragonfall out of those. First time I'm hearing about NEO Scavenger, looks interesting. Still waiting for controller patch for Divinity to play, yeah I'm casual like that.

ToX2? lol please, that game is trash. PC or no PC wouldn't make a difference.

Yoshi

I don't always agree with Codex's more militant stance on certain games, but this washes the taste of multiple waifu simulators being in the top ten RPGs of all time according to GAF out of my mouth. There is a reason why Codexers seem obnoxious to the crowd here. They're diametrically opposed in philosophies. Like the Christians and Pagans or something.

What's a waifu simulator and which games qualify as them in the top ten at GAF?

Alex

Have a friend who sings very high praises of Neo Scavenger. I will get to it someday.

Divinity was such a great game.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
What..!

Dragonfall, NEO and Might and Magic X? How the heck did I miss these?!!

3 more for the backlog I guess, and I haven't even finished Divinity yet, but from the little I played -- it's an awesome game. I'll likely have to start over as I've forgotten a lot already.

Thanks for the list OP.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Wasteland 2 got robbed.

I wish Wasteland had Divinity's combat system. And I wish Divinity had Wasteland's...everything else. In Wasteland, I wanted to avoid combat at all costs, in Divinity, combat was by far the best part of the game.

Still, both great games in their own right.

I avoided Might & Magic X initially because of the negative Steam reviews. I guess that was a mistake.

Persona 3&4 certainly qualify as bad games,but they aren't waifu simulators in any way.

I have no idea why Persona 3 & 4 are in the top# lists of anything. Half the game is a mediocre dungeon crawl, other half is a terrible and overdramatic "life sim". Easily the worst game I own for the Vita, and I actually like jrpgs.

autoduelist

You're defining the genre differently than they do. They're not interested in being more 'inclusive', because at the very heart of it, many of the 'modern innovations' in RPGs killed off (2014 excluded) most of the defining elements of the genre they actually love.

It really has little to do with 'computer' vs. 'console', or 'western' vs. 'Japanese' in and of themselves, it's just that those factors often very much defined genre boundaries, and it's more about the core components that make up the game. Many mechanics are nearly lost to time (for example, grid paper mapping until Legend of Grimrock), or now come super simplified (true choice and consequences - hard decisions with hard results). For example, the original Fallouts had towns that lived or died based on your morally questionable decisions. Then, other obscure concerns come into play - such as:
Can you complete quests in more than one way?
Can you beat the game as a pacifist (ie, roleplay your way through it in ways that are very unusual)?
Can you kill key NPCs (say, the King you're supposed to help) and still progress in the game?
Can you decide to ignore the main quest altogether?

Obviously, few games check off all of these (and more questions I haven't even mentioned) but back in the day there was a lot of games pushing the envelope. Fallout, for example, Planescape, ToEE, and on and on.

And as the years moved on, rather than seeing these complex systems evolve and get even more fleshed out, stuff like Fallout 3 happened. Mass Effect's morality/dialog system happened. Etc, etc... basically, things shifted in a way that didn't just 'fork' rpgs, but actually killed off old beloved strains. There are obviously exceptions, but when you consider their genre 'died' [now resurrected?] it's not hard to see why they're not particularly inclusive of the murdering regime.

'RPG' features, like number crunching, stats, character progression, perks, etc, became streamlined and started getting added to everything from FPSs to puzzle games, further muddying the way. Inviting any game anyone might call an 'rpg' to the party invites the very same watering down of the genre we've seen over the past two decades. All of a sudden it's all about Borderlands or Fallout or Mass Effect or whatever. Heck, people will call anything an RPG if you let them (I'm roleplaying as kratos!).

As for JRPGs (in the classic sense of the acronym, not the 'made in Japan' one), the issue is often that the 'blank slate' character(s) taking on the world any way they want that's commonplace in wRPGs is replaced by a set of predefined characters following a predefined story - you're watching the story unfold in, say, FF, not so much creating your own story. Both have merits, but old school crpg'ers are generally firmly in the 'blank slate' camp.

I'm not sure if that clears anything up or not, but basically my point is that you're asking a bunch of people who watched their genre get muddled, fuddled, watered down and kicked to death to embrace the games that they'd most blame for the loss of their genre (i'm more talking about modern wrpgs than jrpgs here..., and not including 2014).

2014 is obviously a glorious year for older cRPG fans, because the genre is in full resurgence.

Corpekata

Banned
Well Divinity's combat system is amazing, which is good because like 90% of that game is combat.

I don't know if that's true. I mean there's a lot of little secrets and puzzles to do. I easily spent a few hours just exploring the first town, which I can't say for most of the other notable cRPGs this year.

TPS has light RPG elements and does very little to rise above the Borderlands 2 foundation on which it is so clearly based -- it's arguably a full-price, half-hearted expansion. I'm not surprised it ranked as low as it did.

I didn't expect it to rank high, but it's still better than a variety of games on that list.

Top Bottom