• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Decreases. I'd say expect it mid-gen. I don't think F-Zero is popular enough to get the kind of reaction at E3 you're implying either. It would have to be a big mascot title.

As long as they don't call it F U Zero I'll be happy.

Anth0ny

I've started looking over that Miyamoto interview. Do y'all think it increases or decreases the likelihood of a new F-Zero for the Wii U being the "...and before you leave" item of Nintendo's E3 conference?

It won't be the "before you leave" title.

That's Retro Zelda

I'd like to see a clip of it at some point during the conference. Probably not playable this year. Which is a shame, since it could show off the online capabilities and power of the console nicely.

HylianTom

Banned
wat
So Nintendo skipping an event that you rarely see things from them anyway, is because they're afraid and lack funds.

I just.... huh?

Of all times for Nintendo to begin skimping on marketing funds? Noooo! One would think that they want everyone in the civilized world to know about the wonders of the U!

Christine

It also signals their disregard for catering to fans of Xbox and Playstation brands that will be present at Gamescom. Now if you see that as a positive or not is one thing. But it shows that they rather have their secure micro events that won't bring up direct comparisons on the showfloor.

This doesn't make sense, those direct comparisons are sure to have already happened at the E3 showfloor. Skipping gamescom will do nothing to mitigate or suppress this aspect of the media narrative.

ah dammit these two threads get me confused why was this opened early?

It's actually pretty common to do that. In the case here, it seemed possible that the old thread would hit the limit before the new thread maker woke up. As you can see, the old thread had ~200 posts left, and this thread generated ~500 posts in just a few hours, so it was a wise choice.

anyway any leaks yet?

Retro hired somebody (an environment artist) who worked on RAGE (a 3D shooter), making it even less likely that their new title will be another DKC game.

and is there a new interview in Edge?

Yeah. Miyamoto says he'd like to make a make a portable followup to LttP and that F-Zero would be interesting to follow up on someday as either a minor or full-fledged title.

Of all times for Nintendo to begin skimping on marketing funds? Noooo! One would think that they want everyone in the civilized world to know about the wonders of the U!
Which is why they do their own events. Just like they did with the Wii and DS. They'll invite actual press (not just gaming journalists) and start the word of mouth rolling. I don't see how them skipping Gamescon means anything. They'll be spending far more on their own events which will have a bigger impact.

HylianTom

Banned
Which is why they do their own events. Just like they did with the Wii and DS. They'll invite actual press (not just gaming journalists) and start the word of mouth rolling. I don't see how them skipping Gamescon means anything. They'll be spending far more on their own events which will have a bigger impact.

I hope you're right. I wanna see this tablet on the Today Show, Ellen, Regis Philbin, SNL, etc etc etc. Microsoft can have the MTV launch.. I'd rather that Nintendo go for, as you suggest, "actual press" so that it's on the tip of everyone's tongues..

Oddduck

Before we get too excited about Miyamoto mentioning Fzero, Miyamoto said he wanted to see Star Fox on the Wii and that never happened.

wat
So Nintendo skipping an event that you rarely see things from them anyway, is because they're afraid and lack funds.

I just.... huh?

Read again, I've explained my statement more than enough. You could at least take the time to feign arguing instead of just ridiculing my post and acting like there's nothing wrong with skipping Gamescom, the biggest consumer videogame Expo.

@Hylian Tom. Nintendo of Europe is a nightmare when it comes to PR. If I recall it right, they also skipped Gamescom the year the Wii came out. That decision along with the rest of their PR cemented the public image of the Wii as a console for new audiences and positioned them to a place opposite to what Microsoft and Sony were offering.

NOE seems to take the same approach again this time. And after the debacle that was the 3DS launch and first year here in Europe, Hell the software is still irrelevant here in Europe with 3DS games either barely charting or doing ridiculously bad in terms of sales (outside of the usual suspect MK7)
I fully expect them to let retailers decide the pricepoint of the system again. After the kick in the Ass by the European Union for their price gouging policies a few years back, they are seemingly unable to formulate a comprehensive pricing strategy here.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I hope you're right. I wanna see this tablet on the Today Show, Ellen, Regis Philbin, SNL, etc etc etc. Microsoft can have the MTV launch.. I'd rather that Nintendo go for, as you suggest, "actual press" so that it's on the tip of everyone's tongues..
Reggie has appeared on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon a few times:

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon...-wii-u-and-the-legend-of-zelda-skyword-sword/
http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon...eggie-filsaime-of-nintendo-of-america/1335131
http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon...os-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-for-the-wii/
http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/i-heart-reggie-filsaime/1372247

I assume an appearance shortly after E3 is feasible. Jimmy really likes video games it seems.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Has this interview with Gaijin Games (Bit.Trip Runner 2) been posted yet?

PS: With a pushed release date to October or November and the Wii U releasing around then too, does that mean that you’ll try to finagle your way on there?

AN: (Smiles) I wonder. I wonder if that means that. Let me put it this way: we have a Wii U dev kit, and our game is coming out around the time that system launches, so that would be pretty cool.

PS: What excites you about the Wii U tablet controller?

AN: I have to think of it in terms of Runner2 now — thinking about it broadly would be too much — but if we were to do a Wii U version, what if you could have a pick-up in the game that reveals hidden bonuses and stuff that you can’t see on your screen but have to hold the controller up? You’re still playing but it’s sort of like an X-ray vision.

PS: So sort of like a CommanderVideo detective mode.

AN: Yeah, exactly! (laughs) You get a Silent Scope kind of feel. But anyway, if we do a Wii U version I don’t know what we would do with the controller. I would want to do something unique, but honestly we haven’t figured that part out.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2012/04/interview_gaijin_games_runner_2

HylianTom

Banned
Rösti;36888631 said:

Oh yes.. this is the only time I watch Fallon. Dude knows his stuff, just going by his questions and comments.

I'd also love to see Letterman doing something goofy with the uPad.. :)

This doesn't make sense, those direct comparisons are sure to have already happened at the E3 showfloor. Skipping gamescom will do nothing to mitigate or suppress this aspect of the media narrative.

That's what I meant. They are possibly trying to avoid consumers and fanboys making the same comparisons. Unlike E3, Gamescom is open to the public and the coverage and video footage of the event is a lot less directed. I even managed to get quite a lot of footage of UC3s Multiplayer last year, before the Sony PR guy ran over to tell me that I wasn't allowed to. The developers of Ghost Recon Future Soldier even welcomed me taking footage of the MP match and talked me through the demo.

And Gamescom is covered by most german media outlets, not just the enthusiast press. Nintendo is trying to avoid comparisons with the other two competitors, and they must have a good reason for that. They probably want to avoid the half step narrative as good as possible, making it less obvious that the hardware they've chosen represents only a modest upgrade over current machines.

Another aspect could be the sheer incompetence of NOE when it comes to set up demo stations (running games in 480i and composite cables ftw!) and get enough of them to satisfy visitor demands. Nintendos booth at Gamescom was laughably small last year. Sony alone had almost 4 times the booth space and chances to play games there. Nintendo would need to rent a whole lot more, and they probably weren't willing to not half ass their Gamescom presence this time.

HylianTom

Banned
Uh... that's before Nintendo's press conference, isn't it?

There's no chance in fuck Ubisoft is going to wait for the next day to reveal everything they have planned for Wii U... right?

True. Which means that Ubi might be the canary in the coalmine as far as Nintendo's relationship with third parties goes this year.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

There's no chance in fuck Ubisoft is going to wait for the next day to reveal everything they have planned for Wii U... right?
Are we 100% sure that Nintendo's press conference is on the 5th this year?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
We got our first E3 press event dated:

https://twitter.com/#!/jimreilly
Nice, helps my E3 thread a bit. I wonder what stunt they'll pull this year. In 2010 they had a lukewarm performance featuring Joel McHale, geometrical shapes used as stools, non-games (Battle Tag) and a bunch of other strange things. Last year Aaron Priceman, Mr. Caffeine, doodly doodly dooped his way through the presentation in a cavalcade of awkwardness proudly proclaiming the upcoming works of Tom Calancy with a sprinkle of poop on your toothpaste. Yikes!

Technically though, E3 starts 1:00PM (local time) on the 3rd of June, Sunday, as media can start collecting their badges then. Maybe we will by then start seeing photos of the typical crates surrounding the Los Angeles Convention Center. If we are lucky, someone will take a new photo of the E3 bear. That is if he hasn't been painted over.

If they go by the convention for the past five years, they'll have it on the Tuesday at 9am local time. That would be the 5th.
But obviously we should stress nothing is confirmed until its confirmed.
That would be problematic for Ubisoft. Hopefully Nintendo gets to do it earlier so that Ubisoft and those other companies can announce ALL of their games. Also, isn't Nintendo usually the last company to give their conference? Still, I hope they are the first ones this time.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
If they go by the convention for the past five years, they'll have it on the Tuesday at 9am local time. That would be the 5th.

But obviously we should stress nothing is confirmed until its confirmed.
I asked Nintendo of America in February I think if date and venue had been selected for their E3 media briefing, but nothing had been determined then.

There's nothing scheduled at Nokia Theatre in June before the 6th anyway (that being Video Games Live), so maybe Nintendo will be using this venue again. They did use Kodak Theater (now The Hollywood and Highland Center) in 2006 though when Wii was unveiled in its final form, so there is a chance of them using that venue again to underline the importance of this particular briefing (regarding Wii U).

If anyone is interested in knowing more, these are the press contacts:

North America

GolinHarris:
• Kate Hamilton, phone number: (213) 438-8717

Europe

Fishburn Hedges Group:
• Stuart Lambert, phone number: +44 (0)20 7544 3101

HylianTom

Banned
Rösti;36889082 said:
Technically though, E3 starts 1:00PM (local time) on the 3rd of June, Sunday, as media can start collecting their badges then. Maybe we will by then start seeing photos of the typical crates surrounding the Los Angeles Convention Center. If we are lucky, someone will take a new photo of the E3 bear. That is if he hasn't been painted over.

Man.. anyone in-the-know should have known that the E3 bear was worth preservation. Hell, I could imagine him being some indy gaming company's new mascot, with that chunk of metal hanging in their front lobby at the studio. It'd make for a lovely conversationpiece.

BTW.. does it feel like it's getting really close for anyone else? It actually feels like thingsmare starting to happen..

i meant hyliantom. sorry. your names are pretty similar.
I've always thought of my username as being pretty boring. Bland. Plain.

Ace's name? Aces.

BY2K

Membero Americo

The third parties were always on the first day, no?

dacuk

Man, a Silent Scope compilation on WiiU would be the only one to be as arcade-exact as possible without buying the cabinet with rifle.

HylianTom

Banned
The third parties were always on the first day, no?

I want to hear more horror stories about cheerleaders, beach balls, hypercaffeinated comedy bombs, Jamie Kennedy routines, geeks being forced to get up and dance, etc etc.. Those are always comedy GOLD, haha!

BTW.. does it feel like it's getting really close for anyone else? It actually feels like thingsmare starting to happen..

We're just in a hypecycle. This happens one or twice per thread
for eighty pages

I'm wondering what the Sony and Microsoft conferences are going to be like, what ways they could cockblock Nintendo's presentation.

Based on 'leaked' info that's all we know as a minimum. Although if Ideaman is to be believed I think we can actually say 1.5 minimum. Personally I think 2.

I agree about 2GB of RAM. I'm convinced that the dev kits have gone up from 1GB to 1.5GB (or rather 2GB to 3GB) but I can see them upping it to 2GB (4GB) at the last moment. I'm also convinced we'll be looking at 3GB (if 1.5GB) or 4GB (2GB) of DDR3 in the dev kit and retail machine respectively with the eDRAM on the CPU and GPU taking care of any bottlenecking issues. Both the 360 and 3DS had last minute RAM increases so we know it can happen.

And DDR3 is as cheap as chips (pardon the pun lol) so I can definitely see Nintendo doing this to keep production and retail costs down and it would explain Arkam's 'slow RAM' comment. I know that Nintendo are known for using fast RAM but I think the eDRAM and perhaps a boost to the clockspeed should provide a nice safety net. And the density of DDR3 has been doubled so we'll only be looking at 3 or 4 chips in the retail unit and 6 or 8 chips in the dev kit.

Sounds good to me anyway...what do you guys think..?

Redford

aka Cabbie
Well if HaloGAF is any indication, MS killed all the hype for Halo 4. So I can't imagine what else their conference could have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom