• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: PS4K / Neo spec leak is genuine, dev kits on their way to devs

tuxfool

Banned
I would say lower TDP or don't care, as if this paperwork with ~10% difference would be worth anything.

I'm not sure I understand.

My guess is it isn't polaris at all, it's just a beefier 28nm Apu based on either a 7970 or a 380x. Power consumption will probably be closer to 200 watts instead of 100 it is now with regular ps4.

I doubt it is at 28nm. I also doubt it is Polaris.

Somebody else stated that the new console is supposed to be smaller than the current one. They wouldn't be able to handle the TDP if they stayed at 28nm (even the current design wouldn't handle it).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If all this is true, it makes this mid-gen upgrade even more pointless imo. It's always gonna be held back by the base PS4.
If the game is held back by the original hardware then that simply leaves more room for improved frame-rates and better image quality.

Intel charges a lot for that. Zen is AMD but they definitely would charge a lot more for that than a Jaguar core. You can bet that the TDP of a full Zen CPU plus a large GPU would work in a console.

You'd have to remember that with this configuration they would need a beefier power supply and some way to dispose of that heat.

Intel can currently charge whatever they want for their skylake quadcores (and anything above that) as amd does not have a single cpu for sale that is even remotely in the same performance range.

Once amd can compete again those retarded prices will no longer fly

Marlenus

I would say lower TDP or don't care, as if this paperwork with ~10% difference would be worth anything.

It will probably be lower.

Not sure what the 2.5x perf per watt was compared to either. If Fury Nano then it's a much bigger improvement than vs 390x for example.

My guess is it isn't polaris at all, it's just a beefier 28nm Apu based on either a 7970 or a 380x. Power consumption will probably be closer to 200 watts instead of 100 it is now with regular ps4.

That would be a much bigger apu than the current one and it would require a beefier cooling system. It would cost more overall than doing the die shrink and using a Polaris gpu so no way will it be based on 28nm.

Nachtmaer

Still those CU counts don't check out. Unless it is as I said, a CU on Polaris has fewer shader units than a GCN 1.0/1.1/1.2 CU

The new console could potentially be tiny. Or possibly the higher clock speed of the new jaguars are eating some of the TDP headroom released by a new GPU.

As it stands we have no real conclusive evidence that it is Polaris.

Eh, it should check out though. If that LinkedIn number is correct, then Polaris 10 should be about 230mm² which is only slightly bigger than Pitcairn at 212mm² for double the shader count. Given that theoretically 14FF allows over twice as many (I can't remember the exact figure) transistors for the same area and taking into account not every part of a chip scales that much, it more or less checks out. Also not everything gets doubled in Polaris 10 either.

So yeah, if the GPU portion ends up roughly the same size as the PS4's chip, we should end up with something that's not going to be bigger. No need to fiddle around with the amount of shaders/CU to get there.

I do agree with the last bit though. It's very possible that these shader counts are pure coincidence and don't mean this chip is a relative of AMD's new architectures. When you look at AMD's APUs, their IGPs usually lag a bit behind with the newest version of GCN. On the other hand, these designs must've overlapped at some point since they're supposedly launching in a similar time frame.

So glad I held out on playing bloodbourne and Witcher 3.
Bloodbourne probably won't be upgraded but I feel like the guys over at Cd projekt Red will jump on upgrading there baby right away, just seems that they love the game and want the best experience for players.

onQ123

If all this is true, it makes this mid-gen upgrade even more pointless imo. It's always gonna be held back by the base PS4.

sony-4k-jt.jpg

mephixto

Banned

Yeah, I'm going with this too that Neo Apu is not a Polaris one, changing GPU architecture would generate a fck ton of problems with not only the hardware inside de PS4 but mostly with the software.

Lettuce

What does this mean for older games?, will they run better on the Neo and what about games being released in the future will they be water down version for the original PS4??......this just seems like a bad idea and a good way to segregate the Sony user base!

Theorry

"Colin Moriarty ‏@notaxation
A trusted source tells me most developers are not happy with PS4.5, and having to develop around it. Extra cost, planning, other nonsense."

Marlenus

Yeah, I'm going with this too that Neo Apu is not a Polaris one, changing GPU architecture would generate a fck ton of problems with not only the hardware inside de PS4 but mostly with the software.

Polaris is 4th gen GCN, or GCN 1.3. It has some enhancements over older GCN but is 100% compatible.

Tagyhag

It's very close to 4.2 TF; I would say a beast, and in a closed environment, it will do miracles !

"" John CarmackAccount
‏@ID_AA_Carmack:
Consoles run 2x or so better than equal PC hardware, but it isn’t just API in the way, focus a single spec also matters.""

Many do not want to understand this...

Oh the absolute irony.

Does anyone think we see these new iterative consoles revealed at E3? That doesn't make any sense to me and I think they need to get their own standalone show but then the talk of developers having to be ready to patch existing games come September?

This whole thing is bonkers lol

mephixto

Banned
"Colin Moriarty ‏@notaxation
A trusted source tells me most developers are not happy with PS4.5, and having to develop around it. Extra cost, planning, other nonsense."

Well now they have to target 2 different setups for their games, high setting for the NEO and mid for the OG PS4.

Lettuce

This!!, developers know theres a user base of what 50 million PS4?, and there'll be a marginally lower amount of these new Neo systems....so are devs actually going to bother wasting resources and time developing games to take advantage of the NEO, for a much smaller user base....id say no.

And to top it off i doubt any games this year will be programmed to take advantage of the NEO's hardware, more than likely be this time next year (at the earliest) until we see games that actually utilise this extra horsepower

Necron

The iterative console future has begun... what a shame.

At least we'll get to enjoy Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 at higher frame rates... maybe.

icespide

Banned
This!!, developers know theres a user base of what 50 million PS4?, and there'll be a marginally lower amount of these new Neo systems....so are devs actually going to bother wasting resources and time developing games to take advantage of the NEO, for a much smaller user base....id say no

this is mostly how I feel about it as well. I think devs will focus on the base PS4, make sure it runs well at upscaled 4k, and anyone running it on a neo at 1080p will get whatever free performance increases are there

Mihalis0013

Neo Member
I'm the last person that wants to mention the smart phone thing again in these threads, but imagine it like the tick tock of iPhone releases except new versions would be every 3 years instead of annual. the PS4K is the S cycle, followed by PS5.

only on the tock cycles would there be exclusive games for the new system

This actually makes a lot of sense. You get a console cycle of ~6 years before the "next generation" which is roughly on par with where they like to be (they used to be ~5 yrs) but they have the chance to add in new features mid stream to go along with changes to technology (ie. 4k, 8k, 12k) or just buff where necessary.

For some reason I never looked at it like that until your post and I'm now somehow less annoyed. Thank you. :)

Not 'on par". There will always be these super exclusives, that are showcases for their hardware. But still, games like inFamous Second Son (which is a delayed launch title) aren't possible on the PS3. Well, you can make a PS3 version, but the graphics would suck ass.

Agree with you. And that´s my point...Don´t you think is pretty fucked up that Infamous Second Son look almost a generational level ahead of lotta of multiplattform games released even 2 years later (Far Cry Primal, COD Black Ops 3, for example)?

The only thing that i see is kind of fair between all this PSK4 stuff is that they seem to be stating that OG PS4 is not going to be left behind...so looks like that we are having titles of the likes of God Of War 4 with incredible graphics anyway (despite those visuals would be at 30 fps, and with less effects here and there compared with the NEO edition).

Tagyhag

It's still a fixed hardware, and not thousands of possible combination like PCs...

It sure is, but from people saying that the GPU is Titan quality, to others saying 970.

To now people thinking it's going to be twice as strong as a 960 due to the most misquoted Carmack quote of all time?

It's a freaking zoo in here.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What's your take on the news about the CPU? Taking everything at face value, do we see Bloodborne or a Witcher 3 running at the same frames, for example?
I'm not sure unpatched games would run any differently (they won't) but with a patch I think they could run better.

Bloodborne is already a mostly steady 30fps, it's issue lies in frame pacing.

I do think the slight CPU OC isn't enough to make real improvements in situations where the CPU is the bottleneck.

vin-buc

This news has to be the most exciting thing to me in the console space. I've always dreaded waiting all those years for a new machine. As a day one PS4 owner - I feel that for these near 3 years it has been completely justified since I have put so many hours into that machine - so have my kids (maybe even too much). I will get this day one and give the OG ps4 to my son so we can play online together.

I can't wait to see the box design and learn of more upgrades that haven't been mentioned (wifi, USB ports, etc.), hopefully.

If they keep this at $400 it's great and gives us folks who want the upgrades the ability to pay for them while OG players get to play the same games as they would've been even if the Neo didn't exist. At the same time it breathes new life into the console space.

This is my hobby - and fortunately I have the disposable income to drop on this. The money spent over 3 years is a drop in the bucket compared to the good times I've had playing with family/friends.

I only hope that Sony increase the amount of family share users from 2 to 3-5.

Markoman

This is stupid. >250 pages of wild speculation in the PS4K thread and now this?
I was almost convinced, but no way I'm going to pay 400$ again for a PS4.2! This is neither fish nor meat as us Germans use to say. Good luck Sony, but this marks the end of my console focus career, as I'm not so happy with the output of games this gen anyway.

Anyone know what these costs would be?

Depends on what they try to do extra.

Assuming they work with a base PS4 version they make run well then scale up.If they just bump resolution and AF, nothing. If they bump framerate, they have to test for animation and collision detection glitches.

If they work from getting it working on PS4K at the highest fidelity then try to make it run on normal PS4, it'll be a nightmare.

Dahaka

This is stupid. >250 pages of wild speculation in the PS4K thread and now this?
I was almost convinced, but no way I'm going to pay 400$ again for a PS4.2! This is neither fish nor meat as us Germans use to say. Good luck Sony, but this marks the end of my console focus career, as I'm not so happy with the output of games this gen anyway.

Yet you're still not shying away from making that very same statement all the time in all the corresponding threads.

As we Germans also say: Es ist an der Zeit loszulassen und neue Pfade zu beschreiten. :D

Marlenus

I'm not sure unpatched games would run any differently (they won't) but with a patch I think they could run better.

Bloodborne is already a mostly steady 30fps, it's issue lies in frame pacing.

I do think the slight CPU OC isn't enough to make real improvements in situations where the CPU is the bottleneck.

I would expect framerates unlocked games to perhaps show improvement. Perhaps infamous second son can hit a steady 60fps.

Aside from unlocked games though I agree, no improvements without patches.

tuxfool

Banned
I'm also not quite sure.
Why do you not believe it's Polaris?
Only because of the 2,3 (Neo) vs. 2,5 (Polaris claim) difference?

Let me think this through.

Starting with the assumption that a CU is of a fixed number of shading units. You double the numbers of CUs of a GCN 1.1 GPU to get 2x the computational capability (and 2x the TDP).

Then we (naively) divide that by the 2.5x improvements in perf/watt. We are now on a TDP that is lower than the original GPU.

Actually, yeah. I can see that, it could actually be Polaris. The only thing that confuses me is the that it operates at a higher frequency, but that just could be the nature of the fabrication process.

NHale

Anyone know what these costs would be?

It's a new SKU so even if it's the same code you still have to make sure it runs well in both specs and optimize it which take developer time and time = money. Also QA.

I'm also sure part of that reaction (if true ofc) is that people don't like change and would be happier just launching PC,XB1,PS4 and NX? versions instead of another slightly different PS4.5 version. Of course EA can just tell Sony to fuck themselves and launch the exact same thing for every game. It would be hilarious.

Venom Fox

Banned
Oh the absolute irony.
LOL ;)

Edit: (Not related to my comment above)

What would the bump in costs of development be in terms of creating content for both the PS4 mode and the new Neo mode?
I shouldn't imagine they will jump up significantly, the only real (main) thing that will drive up costs will be the extra paid man hours for coding for the new GPU wouldn't it?

Kathian

Banned
It's a new SKU so even if it's the same code you still have to make sure it runs well in both specs and optimize it which take developer time and time = money. Also QA.

People forget with this stuff that PCs push through the tech diversity - theres still a cost from it however, so makes little sense to apply this to consoles.

Top Bottom