• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 16 has gone gold

Disagree, barely anyone mentions it, and other sports games get far more attention even though the show is better.

Good thing better has always been a subjective word. NBA2K and the older NFL2K games are better than The Show. It's definitely my second favorite sports title.

I haven't played a baseball game since 2010. I'll be playing season mode and taking my NY Mets to the promise land the shitty Royals denied us.

Yup still salty we gave that WS away.

Your team didn't give anything away. You were outmatched time and again, and your stud pitchers couldn't handle our bats.

But that's okay, because I'm going to be the Royals in the GAF league and I'm fairly terrible. You can watch us in the cellar again!

Also, The Show is the best sports game around.

I've kind of given up on the Show because there isn't enough of an inbetween of "this game will make you cry" mode and "20 homers every game" mode. Also, I've wished for 10 years now that 989 would add a quick manager mode from MVP 2005 or MLB 2K6.

Getting through a season in The Show is nary impossible without either straight simming games or playing through every game... Where as both MVP and MLB 2K series had simulator-like manager mode that were boiled down managerial choices. MLB THe Show's manager mode is slower than playing the game yourself... I just wish they had a simplified manager mode is all.

Still, MLB The Show persists as one of the most humbling games year in and year out. People have made a big deal about Dark Souls being challenging, but The Show is consistently one of the most challenging games every year on any of the normal difficulties. I particularly liked when MLB The Show 14 (the first one on PS4?) came out and people were desperate for a game, especially one that looked as good as the Show, and it just left gamers humbled and frustrated by the difficulty.

Underrated? The series is continually one of the highest rated sports games every year.

MLB the Show has the Sportscast Manager mode. You can set a lineup, change pitchers,pinch hitters and call for bunts/steals. I never used it because I am one of those weirdos who play every single game, but it's definitely there.

I've kind of given up on the Show because there isn't enough of an inbetween of "this game will make you cry" mode and "20 homers every game" mode. Also, I've wished for 10 years now that 989 would add a quick manager mode from MVP 2005 or MLB 2K6.

This:

0adagPy.png

Getting through a season in The Show is nary impossible without either straight simming games or playing through every game... Where as both MVP and MLB 2K series had simulator-like manager mode that were boiled down managerial choices. MLB THe Show's manager mode is slower than playing the game yourself... I just wish they had a simplified manager mode is all.

Still, MLB The Show persists as one of the most humbling games year in and year out. People have made a big deal about Dark Souls being challenging, but The Show is consistently one of the most challenging games every year on any of the normal difficulties. I particularly liked when MLB The Show 14 (the first one on PS4?) came out and people were desperate for a game, especially one that looked as good as the Show, and it just left gamers humbled and frustrated by the difficulty.

Underrated? The series is continually one of the highest rated sports games every year.
Almost everything in your post is flat wrong. Quick pitch games are fast and there is sportscaster mode.

I play entire seasons. It's not Sony's fault baseball season is insanely long.

The Beard

A quick Google or you tube search proves you wrong....gameplay is more important the announcers.mvp had plenty of glitches. Yes it was arcade and not balanced at all. Pitch counts and stats were way off. Unless 100 home runs in a season is ok to you.Homeruns were over powered and fielding was full of dives.

Ok, it had some glitches but nothing like The Show 14'. That game pissed me off so much that I didn't even look at last years game. Nothing like investing 30-40 min into a game and having the fucking thing crash to the blue screen in the 8th or 9th inning when the game is tied or you're winning.

The stats could get cartoony in season mode, especially on normal or the easier difficulties, but for local multiplayer it was hands down the GOAT.

Ok, it had some glitches but nothing like The Show 14'. That game pissed me off so much that I didn't even look at last years game. Nothing like investing 30-40 min into a game and having the fucking thing crash to the blue screen in the 8th or 9th inning when the game is tied or you're winning.

The stats could get cartoony in season mode, especially on normal or the easier difficulties, but for local multiplayer it was hands down the GOAT.

Never had an issue. Plus 15 is better then 14...14 was basically a ps3 port with short development window.

Almost everything in your post is flat wrong. Quick pitch games are fast and there is sportscaster mode.

I play entire seasons. It's not Sony's fault baseball season is insanely long.

Aside from not knowing about sportscast manager mode (which in my defense there's almost nothing online about it when you search for it other than a few sparse mentions on old videogame forum posts), the only other thing I Said is that the game is difficult ...... Which it is. The challenge in this game is a hallmark of the series.

Is there a My Player mode? Or a story mode of some kind? I would buy it if there is....

Yep, The Show has, arguably, the strongest my player mode called "Road to the Show," which has been a hallmark of the series for some time.

Although it's not as cinematic/narrative driven as NBA 2K16s, but it's a very strong career builder... It's just typically assumed that you would provide the backstory/drama for your character, not through cinematic cut scenes. I don't think that's changing for The show 16 but haven't seen it.

It doesn't have anything like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd0z3_TrWi8
which..... may be a good thing.

theWB27

Is there a My Player mode? Or a story mode of some kind? I would buy it if there is....

They've got the best my player mode in sports. And I say this because, despite the season being long, as a batter games only last a few minutes. Even as a pitcher games don't last too long.

Add that with the insane ability to keep your career going across each iteration that will release this gen...just brilliant.

Aside from not knowing about sportscast manager mode (which in my defense there's almost nothing online about it when you search for it other than a few sparse mentions on old videogame forum posts), the only other thing I Said is that the game is difficult ...... Which it is. The challenge in this game is a hallmark of the series.

I think it was more difficult in the past. IIRC they revamped the timing windows in 12 to make it more accesible. But playing 09 or 10 on Legend difficulty was just amazing and infuriating at the same time. Javier Vasquez no hit me with 17 K's once and I threw a no hitter against the then lowly Royals and the tension was just incredibke,

But let's make it clear it's no Winnie the Pooh baseball, that game is just vile. ;)

It doesn't have anything like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd0z3_TrWi8
which..... may be a good thing.

Thanks for posting this! I remember the Giantbomb GOTY podcast and they mentioned therse. I've heard there is a freaking ghost in a sports game. That's just incredibly stupid and awesome at the same time.

The added beginner mode and changed the timing windows years ago...every aspect if the game can be changed to your liking....its not hard unless you want it to be.

The Road to the Show mode is amazing. I spent 90% of my game time in there. I have two players: all around CF and a knuckleballer.

You can carry your guy over between games, too.

yikes, no, just no,. there are hundreds of little things that need to be great for baseball to work, animations need to be spot on, baseball is NOT easy to get right, more have failed then succeeded. Fieldling running, where to go on the field for any given play, for numerous players, Management AI, lineup construction, team management, trades... The pitcher batter duel alone is really hard to get right, the show is really the first game to do it while maintaining realistic pitch counts for starters.

Debatable, especially basketball.

there is literally no debate that baseball is easier to replicate in videogame form than football. i'm not even sure what the arguments would be

element

Do these games actually sell? Every year it seems like they come and go with the littlest fanfare possible, but they must pull in the sales I guess, 'cos Sony keeps releasing them.
First games I bought for my PS3 and PS4 has been The Show. If you love baseball, this is THE GAME.

Love that they added open/closed stadiums and King's Court at Safeco!!

so how good are MLB games with early season rosters? i usually wait until the summer to pick it up but i havent gotten any of the recent ones. the reason im asking is a bunch of guys I went to school with got called up to the majors last year so im hoping they have them in this years game at launch.

Couleurs

so how good are MLB games with early season rosters? i usually wait until the summer to pick it up but i havent gotten any of the recent ones. the reason im asking is a bunch of guys I went to school with got called up to the majors last year so im hoping they have them in this years game at launch.

The official rosters are updated weekly as soon as the season begins (for legal reasons they can't include rookies until they've played a regular season game), so they'll be updated a week or so after launch since the season begins in early April.

The Show also has fan made rosters that are far better than the official rosters, since they include real minor league players with accurate ratings/looks (Operation Sports rosters)

Normally the OS rosters wouldn't be released until a month or two after release, but it should be a lot faster this year since last year's rosters will carry over now

The official rosters are updated weekly as soon as the season begins (for legal reasons they can't include rookies until they've played a regular season game)

The Show also has fan made rosters that are far better than the official rosters, since they include real minor league players with accurate ratings/looks (Operation Sports rosters)

Normally the OS rosters wouldn't be released until a month or two after release, but it should be a lot faster this year since last year's rosters will carry over now

ok thanks. i usually get the OS rosters as I find them more up to date then the others.

tmac456

think i'm going to pick this game up for the first time since it has been on ps4. looking forward to getting back into baseball this year

element

Road to the show is the best RPG since Grandia 2.
A co-worker who is a big RPG fan would tease me for playing sports games and I explained that The Show was pretty much a RPG with a baseball skin and he instantly shut up and thought about it for a second "Fuck! You are right! Random encounters to level up your experience. Join new parties on your adventure. It totally is an RPG!"

Your team didn't give anything away. You were outmatched time and again, and your stud pitchers couldn't handle our bats.

But that's okay, because I'm going to be the Royals in the GAF league and I'm fairly terrible. You can watch us in the cellar again!

Also, The Show is the best sports game around.

Congrats on the WS win last year. I didn't mean anything by what I posted. Still hard to swallow the loss but our future (NY Mets) looks bright provided we stay healthy.

You guys won in 85 then in 2015. We won in 86...

The official rosters are updated weekly as soon as the season begins (for legal reasons they can't include rookies until they've played a regular season game), so they'll be updated a week or so after launch since the season begins in early April.

ok thanks. i usually get the OS rosters as I find them more up to date then the others.

The OS KNIGHTS rosters seem to get released within a few days of launch thanks to being able to port over your old saves. They aren't the finalized versions but usually the minor league rosters are good for the most part.

They sell very well in US.

Certainly not as well as FIFA, Madden or NBA 2K series. I know its unfair to compare those multiplatform games vs these ones that only come out on 2-3 PS platforms at a time but I don't get the feeling The Show even amanges to outsell any of those franchises when comparing sales of only their PlayStation versions.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Every time I play this, it feels like I'm playing 08. It's excellent. It's also the same shit I've been playing for so long. I hope there's more significant advancement in this year's, but I also know it's not going to be enough for me.

Every time I play this, it feels like I'm playing 08. It's excellent. It's also the same shit I've been playing for so long. I hope there's more significant advancement in this year's, but I also know it's not going to be enough for me.

They are trying to implement new game modes every year but it's a baseball sim. There is only so much you can do with it.
They really made a huge jump with MLB 09 when they pretty much nailed the gameplay part and tweaked it a little here and there but why is that a detriment to this game?

The one thing I don't like about MLB The Show is that it's almost too good. ;)

But seriously, people see Madden make baby steps from year to year and are satisfied when they don't fuck it up completely but that's somehow a bad thing when the foundation already is rock solid. That's just weird.

I'm not singling you out, I've heard opinions like this a lot.

I should get this though, I hope my Jays are top-rated.

Not with that pitching staff. But having bad starting pitching didn't stop the Royals last year, so what do I know?!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They are trying to implement new game modes every year but it's a baseball sim. There is only so much you can do with it.
They really made a huge jump with MLB 09 when they pretty much nailed the gameplay part and tweaked it a little here and there but why is that a detriment to this game?

The one thing I don't like about MLB The Show is that it's almost too good. ;)

But seriously, people see Madden make baby steps from year to year and are satisfied when they don't fuck it up completely but that's somehow a bad thing when the foundation already is rock solid. That's just weird.

I'm not singling you out, I've heard opinions like this a lot.

I get it. And yeah 09 was the last year that felt fairly significant.

I think the problem is I get tired of playing fundamentally the same game for five years or more. I think they've just hit the ceiling.

Of course, the best baseball game of all time is Baseball Stars 2, but it depends on what you want from baseball.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I skipped 15, but played the hell out of 14.

Are the graphics improved? 14 was a little disappointing.

Yes. They improved the lighting and a stadium textures, as well as a lot of animations added in 15. 16 should be even better.

Most realistic night game lighting I have seen in a sports game.

Do these games actually sell? Every year it seems like they come and go with the littlest fanfare possible, but they must pull in the sales I guess, 'cos Sony keeps releasing them.

We don't know exact figures but we do know that MLB 15 (last years editon) was the best selling entry in franchise history. Also, its neogaf, sports games don't have fanfare here.

Top Bottom