• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Live Thread - A browser extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
yoopoo said:
Deleted the two lines...still need to click on the refresh icon to show that part.

oh, I thought you meant the green part. (unless you did mean that and it didn't work)

If you want the little info box to always be visible you can do that at the start of the script.

find the line (491)

$(document).ready(function() {

and put

info.show();

on the next line after the debug message

C.Dark.DN

Banned
D4Danger said:
This wasn't designed to spam. That's the reason why there's a timer and a minimum 15 second wait between requests. I'm not going to change this.
What's the logic behind that? 90% of users and guests will forever F5 spam Neogaf. This extension takes a lot less toll than that. Yes, the limit helps the server even more, but it annoys the user. The benefit it givs even with spam is good enough if more people switch over.

But...

For someone putting on an admins shoes keeping the server in mind, as far as I can tell, you're forgetting this extension doesn't reload google ads. The admin/mods are going to be angry about that. In its current form, it's doing more harm than good.

hirokazu

This sounds great. Trying out now.

Would be super amazing if it worked for more than just GAF, like that one that automatically loads next page when you reach the bottom. That extension's preferences were confusing as fuck.

LCfiner

qwerty2k said:
any chance for Safari extension support?

I’ll have to second this request for Safari 5.

it should be very similar to the chrome extension, I think.

pretty please with cherries on top?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I just happened to stumble upon this thread.

despite the fact that you aren't changing the 15 second limit on the refreshing, this is exactly what I'm looking for, not only for E3, but for interesting threads in general.

Thanks man!

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
LCfiner said:
I’ll have to second this request for Safari 5.

it should be very similar to the chrome extension, I think.

pretty please with cherries on top?

http://www.mediafire.com/?zoymmvycaxm

Apple don't have anywhere to publish these at the moment.

Could you try this and let me know if it works.

I had to install a certificate just to build it. I removed that, installed the extension and it worked but I don't know if it will only work on my computer or if I can share these. I can't find any documentation on it.

LCfiner

D4Danger said:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zoymmvycaxm

Apple don't have anywhere to publish these at the moment.

Could you try this and let me know if it works.

I had to install a certificate just to build it. I removed that, installed the extension and it worked but I don't know if it will only work on my computer or if I can share these. I can't find any documentation on it.

Oh hell yeah.

works like a charm. thanks for the great work!

if you want to post the extension somewhere to get some views before Apple opens up their market in the summer, this blog has been showcasing all safari extensions since the safari 5 launch last week.

http://safariextensions.tumblr.com/

Blackhead

Redarse
Could you display the 'number of new posts' message somewhere else? Before the first new post or under my mouse pointer would be great. When there are new posts I don't see the message as it's at the bottom of the page.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I've been using this over the past few days of E3 on GAF. Keeping tabs on specific threads open and letting your plugin work it's magic.

You've saved me the bother of abusing the refresh button, meaning it helped me reduce my personal load on the GAF server during a busy time. It's a small step to help GAF run smoothly.

I cannot recommend this fantastic tool enough. If everyone was using it we'd see a lot less 500 Errors! So thanks for making it and making my GAF browsing that much better!

kottila

In Opera, it seems that the script stops working after a while. It updates the thread a number of times, but then it is stuck showing "updating".

kottila said:
In Opera, it seems that the script stops working after a while. It updates the thread a number of times, but then it is stuck showing "updating".

I'm getting this while on Chrome. Any updates addressing the issue?

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Great script, i have been using this for several days on both Chrome and Opera.

Foxix Von

Oh hey this is pretty nifty. Gonna keep trying this out, just sucks that it doesn't mesh well with the user style I've got going in stylish. Sort of weird to be running two user script extensions side by side. :lol

Now all gaf needs is a quick reply function. Then we'd really be in business.

Zelrith

Love the add-on! It has been working great but a couple of days ago the icon disappeared and no longer shows up when I'm on GAF. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalled it with no luck. Any clues as to what is causing the problem?

I'm using Chrome btw.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Zelrith said:
Love the add-on! It has been working great but a couple of days ago the icon disappeared and no longer shows up when I'm on GAF. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalled it with no luck. Any clues as to what is causing the problem?

I'm using Chrome btw.
Still working fine for me in FF. Have you tried clearing your cache?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
this is awesome, but now when i press f5 (i do it automaticly) the whole page gets fucked ...
(chrome here)

and it stopps after i have posted something, dont know if that is intentional

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
sankt-Antonio said:
this is awesome, but now when i press f5 (i do it automaticly) the whole page gets fucked ...
(chrome here)

and it stopps after i have posted something, dont know if that is intentional

both of these things happen because all the changes are made on the client-side.

The best advice I can give you is to open the reply window in a new tab, post and then close it and go back.

Wiseblade

This has to be the best GAF extension ever. I can't wait until the next big mega-thread so I can whip out this badboy. :lol

Is there a way to easily add keyboard shortcuts to a website via an extension?

I'm in Gmail and Reader pretty much all day, so I'm really used to being done with an email thread and hitting g i to go back to the inbox, or whatever action. I'd love to be able to hit r to reply, g o to go to the OT, etc.

If this gets rolled into the extension, it should be renamed from Live Thread and other functionality can be added.

DaBuddaDa

I just installed the latest version of Greasemonkey in FireFox and this extension doesn't work anymore. Reinstalled the previous version and it works fine again.

NaviLink

DaBuddaDa said:
I just installed the latest version of Greasemonkey in FireFox and this extension doesn't work anymore. Reinstalled the previous version and it works fine again.

Same here. The lastest version of Greasemonkey has broken several of my scripts.

Medalion

Banned
Ok, I suck at coding, even editing certain lines of code

Can someone just copy and paste their entirely modified script for this with the faster refresh checks and the countdown thingy? So far I have this enabled in Greasemonkey, I am not seeing it doing anything differently on any thread :/

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
This would be great for the improved Update button alone :D Just installed newest Greasemonkey and the addon on newest Firefox, no problems here. Awesome little thing, thank you very much for this!

XtremeRampage

Neo Member
Thanks for the script!

From the description on the first page
D4Danger said:
One last thing, if the thread goes onto a new page a spacer will be inserted onto the page.

This is here for a couple of reasons

1) It provides a quick link to the current page the script is loading.

If you just want to jump to the end of the thread or open that page in a new tab you can find a link quickly.

2) It also has a small button on the right that will purge the current page.

For example: if you start on page 1 of a 10 page thread, when you get to page 10 you’ll have 1,000 posts on the current page. This may result in reduced performance (depending what’s on the page) so you can press this button and it will remove all the posts above it.
It seems to have a feature similiar to Forum Auto Pager, no?

Cipherr

*Necro* So I used this addon a lot, and it seems to have been dead for firefox for a long time now. Are there any fixes, replacements or updates for it that anyone knows of?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Late post here but you may want to update your links to the newer one in the OP. Would make it easier as that light text with the link to the newer one on the right is easy to ignore.

Nvm, the second link seems to be for the quick reply. Bah.

Bumping this thread: has this extension ceased to function for anyone else? I can see it in this thread, but it more recent threads it doesn't appear to be active?

btkadams

sorry for this lame bump, but i just switched back to safari and the safari extension link in the op is dead. does anyone have a mirror?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
3oJQ7.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom