• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Vard

Ooooh @ the tournament getting started. Honestly surprised to see myself as 3rd seed, heh.

kennah, I just sent you a friend request so we can start on our games. edit: 1st game invite sent!

Ps: looking forward to a Carc tourney!

NS Hex got a GC update, but im not sure how it works? I think if you have the game you need to log into MP after this update to get it to register or something..

...someone try! I wanna play more of this game!

Slacker

NS Hex got a GC update, but im not sure how it works? I think if you have the game you need to log into MP after this update to get it to register or something..

...someone try! I wanna play more of this game!

Trying now. Really weirdly laid out, of course. :p

Not only are my Ascension notifications still broken, but now it doesn't seem to want to log me into GameCenter when I load it up. Anyone else having problems?

blackflag

damn i gotta look at this thread more often. I would have loved the Ascention tourney. I do have NS Hex but haven't even played it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
NS hex now has GC? Gotta try this right now!

Edit: now Ascencion won't connect to GC anymore either...maybe playdek is getting the servers ready for summoner wars/nightfall update? I remember when nightfall came out, Ascencion had issues too

sladeums

Facebook sez
Playdek, Inc.
18 hours ago
Hi all, we've had some network issues occurring lately and we're investigating.
Apologies for the interrupted service but we should have it sorted in the next few days

bonesquad

I saw this on BGG, but IGN posted a list of the top 10 iOS board games. The games it contains is ok, but the order is terrible (Carcassone only #9? Caylus #1?).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/19/the-10-best-ipad-board-games

The article comes off a bit strange with him claiming to hate Knizia games but ranking T&E at 7. Also I don't hear it used much but when I do I never quite understood what was meant by an 'Ameritrash' game (even with the article trying to explain it). I don't see how Small World and Neuroshima Hex are at all similar.

tm24

From quickly building up my real life board game collection, Ameritrash is more akin to being called Thematic games, or games that wrap their mechanics around strong themetic settings that are used to draw in players instead of the mechanics themselves. From my understanding, the term is used ironically to pole fun at the elitist euro-snobs who looked down on these types of games for having some elements of luck and theme being a huge factor in the design on the game

EDIT: Read the article, holy crap what an awful list and so much of it is wrong. Some choice quotes

Stupid IGN articile said:
Carcassone is easy to play but hard to understand. Players co-operate to build a river valley together, claiming the land as they do so

what?

stupid IGN article said:
The word ‘Ameritrash’ is a way of saying a game has a strong theme (often fantasy), player combat and a dollop of luck. Small World is pure Ameritrash;

what?

stupid IGN article said:
RE: AscensionGiven its heritage, it’s extremely brash, with garish card art like Warhammer Fantasy and a convoluted interface style.

Wait for it

Stupid IGN article said:
Caylus number 1

A game that AstroLad has said has one of the worst interfaces for any iOS game. What?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Really odd list but those are all pretty good games. Caylus at #1 is lulz-worthy though. Their async sucks and the board design is not good.

Didn't read the article yet but yeah iOS has no good Ameritrash games. NH and SW are definitely not though. They are basically euro abstracts with ameritrashy themes. Subtle distinction I guess, but both are really damn abstract games at their cores.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I got Le Havre so please invite me to games.

But I didn't get the push-notifications interstitial and it's not in Notification Center. Hmm.

Smiley90

Let me know how Le Havre plays/how the port is, want some GAF-input before I get it!

bonesquad

You beat me pretty handily that game. Seems like we have a good series on our hands.

It wasn't a blowout or anything at 17 points, and if I recall you beat me by a similar margin the first game. :) Right now I'm concerned with our current game where we were both playing chicken 'refusing' to buy/destroy anything from the center row, until your last turn. Sigh. I'm having flashbacks to the last few turns of our first game already...

Le Havre (universal app) said:
6CGUn.jpg

How the hell is that playable on the iPhone? And I thought the buttons in Caylus were microscopic (and to be fair I bet Le Havre is still more playable than Caylus).

Heel

Let me know how Le Havre plays/how the port is, want some GAF-input before I get it!

Yeah seriously, looking at the screen shots is giving me cold feet. I feel like I'm confused already, haha. The physical game is one of the highest rated on BGG, though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's a fantastic game.

Codito's implementation is workmanlike as are all their others. Have not tried out async yet though I'm guessing it's like T&E's which is to say, passable.

tm24

It's a fantastic game.

Codito's implementation is workmanlike as are all their others. Have not tried out async yet though I'm guessing it's like T&E's which is to say, passable.

So youre giving it youre stamp of approval? Know you have the power to single-handily cause the game to skyrocket up the charts

Heel

Speaking of T&E, I have had an invite notification for a very long time. I really need to get around to playing! Along with half of the other board games I've bought.

Yet I've been thinking of buying Nightfall...and La Havre...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So youre giving it youre stamp of approval? Know you have the power to single-handily cause the game to skyrocket up the charts

Ha! Well it's one of those games like T&E where because of the way it's set up (not all delicious and user-friendly like Carc & Playdek) you really have to be motivated. It's not that anything's fundamentally broken or wrong, it's just ... Codito. Like T&E I would be happy to play any time, but then again no one has invited me to a T&E game in forever. :/

Smiley90

Speaking of T&E, I have had an invite notification for a very long time. I really need to get around to playing! Along with half of the other board games I've bought.

Yet I've been thinking of buying Nightfall...and La Havre...

Buy nightfall RIGHT NOW, it's a lot like Ascension, from the same company, similar mechanics, slightly more strategic and less luck-dependant. As for Le Havre... I REALLY wonder if this is playable on my iphone... And their async implementatios are usually pretty crappy :/ but is it fun offline? So, in a league with Caylus?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Caylus's worker placement is basically like 10% of what Le Havre is. I personally prefer Agricola (same designer) but Le Havre itself a really a great game -- better than Caylus imo though more complex by a good deal.

Smiley90

From the looks of it, only 2 of you guys have NS hex GC multiplayer accounts, GET ON WITH THAT! I sent Ray and Slacker an invite for a 3p game :) was totally easy, LOVING IT NOW. GET ON WITH SOME NS HEX

Card Boy

Banned
Assassins Creed Recollection (Revelations) expansion pack is out for $2.99. I don't think you need the expansion pack to get the new cards. I think the expansion pack is purely for story and challenges and to get upto 4500 credits. I was able to purchase a Revelations booster pack with in game credits.

It adds 144 new cards for all users among other stuff.

Heel

Buy nightfall RIGHT NOW, it's a lot like Ascension, from the same company, similar mechanics, slightly more strategic and less luck-dependant. As for Le Havre... I REALLY wonder if this is playable on my iphone... And their async implementatios are usually pretty crappy :/ but is it fun offline? So, in a league with Caylus?

Okay I bought it. You guys weren't lying about this tutorial, haha. I'll have to give the rules a read through tomorrow.

Just took a look at Le Havre in the app store...

When are developers/publishers going to stop being so utterly crap with the first few lines of the app description? Posting a line full of stars isn't going to make me buy your game. It's going to make me think you're a mickey mouse outfit who will try and rely on my stupidity for a sale rather than the quality of your product.

Tell me something useful about your game in those first lines. Sell it to me! With zero marketing experience I could do a better job than these monkeys.

Top Bottom