• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

International GAF: How to buy from US/UK Xbox One Game Store

krang

I'm from the UK and normally buy stuff from the US using the gift card method. But stuff being so much cheaper on other stores I decided to add my PayPal account for Singapore purchases and buy from there. So I preordered Gears 4 on my credit card via PayPal, but it hasn't appeared on either statements, despite the Xbox store now saying I own it, and it appearing as a recent purchase on my Live account dashboard.

Weird?

I'm from the UK and normally buy stuff from the US using the gift card method. But stuff being so much cheaper on other stores I decided to add my PayPal account for Singapore purchases and buy from there. So I preordered Gears 4 on my credit card via PayPal, but it hasn't appeared on either statements, despite the Xbox store now saying I own it, and it appearing as a recent purchase on my Live account dashboard.

Weird?

They changed it recently so you don't get charged straight away when preordering games. I think it's something like 10 days before release you get charged now.

desu

Weird?

They charge you 10 days before release.

Confirmation mail looks like this:

Hello there!

Thanks for shopping with us on XXX.
Your order contains a pre-order item, and we love seeing your name on the list. You won’t be charged for each pre-order item until it’s available for download, or has been dispatched. You’ll get another email from us at that time so you know what’s going on. In the meantime, you can reference your order details below.

Lima

Thought I would mention a little trick that I learned from TUBBST4R over at avforums.

One thing that sucks buying with gift cards is the left over money. Well there is a way around it.

I tested this myself with more regions than he did before posting here to make absolutely sure it works.

If you have a few funds left on your account for whatever region, you can add your credit card and then your transaction will go through just as it did back in the day.

I tested this with USA, South Africa and Russia. Worked in all three regions so I would assume this applies to all regions.

PayPal as I mentioned works too but is not available in all cheap regions. It is my number 1 option for Hong Kong/Singapore though.

For all the other regions the best option going forward will be just buying the lowest amount of gift card credit you can and then pay the rest with your card. That way you don't need to overspend and no left over money in your account either.

Lazaro

what the hell is this?

Every time I try to buy a Xbox game or F2P Xbox game from another region this error appears.
YJ4QHUc.png

I'm not sure why I get this error. I am over 18 years old and there's nothing wrong with my Xbox privacy and purchasing settings etc.

There's not much I can find about this error, I'm guessing it has something to with the merging of Xbox and Windows store.

Should I contact Xbox support?

Xumbrega

Banned
For some reason I am unable to buy right now with Paypal, it always give me:

"We're sorry, we can't process your payment right now"

nvm: removing the paypal and then add worked

Duallusion

For some reason I am unable to buy right now with Paypal, it always give me:

"We're sorry, we can't process your payment right now"

nvm: removing the paypal and then add worked

Trying to buy Forza Horizon 2 on Singapore's store but it keeps saying "We can't process your payment". Removed Paypal about five times and tried again to no avail. Did they close the loop? :(

MarveI

Guys quick question. Hope someone replies.

I plan on buying Fifa 17 from the Russian store. But is the game menu Russian only ? Would hate to pre-order a game and not have the English option. Will it also have german or dutch ? Any way to know this ? Frankly I'd be happy with English only.

I searched everywhere for this couldn't find a thing.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Trying to buy Forza Horizon 2 on Singapore's store but it keeps saying "We can't process your payment". Removed Paypal about five times and tried again to no avail. Did they close the loop? :(

Wanted to buy Gears Ultimate with paypal, no luck :/

Edit: I fear for the games that were pre-ordered via this method. When the payday hits, the payment probably won't work.

Xumbrega

Banned

Yeah it seems so, I am trying to pre-order Recore and it doesn't work anymore.

desu

Just read on a German forum that someone that had pre-ordered with paypal before MS closed the loop hole just got charged for his Recore pre-order. I guess chances aren't too bad that our pre-orders for FH3 will go through.

pieface

Prices are rubbish since Brexit happened. Pound is so weak.

Can't believe they charge £55 for Fifa on the UK store. Outrageous.

Lucifon

Prices are rubbish since Brexit happened. Pound is so weak.

Can't believe they charge £55 for Fifa on the UK store. Outrageous.

I know :( I give a pretty minimal amount of care towards anything related to politics but when it affects my gaming purchasing pricing goddamnit it sucks. I was buying almost everything digitally earlier this year from different regions but the prices are sometimes higher at convenient regions now.

Keys

Same here, already have my paypal address synced but it doesn't work :/

Any other way?

On another forum someone said that if you've some leftover credit on your account you can use that to preorder a game and pay the rest with paypal or credit card.
I had $ 3,75 on my Singapore account I tried to preorder Forza Horzion 3 with this method few days ago and it went through I don't know if it still works.

I also preordered Recore on the HK store with paypal and got charged on sunday, so preorders made before they closed the loophole should be fine.

Adry9

On another forum someone said that if you've some leftover credit on your account you can use that to preorder a game and pay the rest with paypal or credit card.
I had $ 3,75 on my Singapore account I tried to preorder Forza Horzion 3 with this method few days ago and it went through I don't know if it still works.

I also preordered Recore on the HK store with paypal and got charged on sunday, so preorders made before they closed the loophole should be fine.

I have $0. I cannot add like $1 using PayPal, can I? lol

EDIT:

GUYS! I bought a $50 gift card on the Singapore store using PayPal, then bought Forza Horizon 3 using that gift card and PayPal for the remaining $19. It sill works!

TheKeyPit

Banned
I have $0. I cannot add like $1 using PayPal, can I? lol

EDIT:

GUYS! I bought a $50 gift card on the Singapore store using PayPal, then bought Forza Horizon 3 using that gift card and PayPal for the remaining $19. It sill works!

Which store?

robjn3

I've just bought a $50 SG gift card too. trying to complete purchase now.

EDIT: All gone through now, used the $50 SG Dollar gift card on my account and the remaining $19.99 on my paypal.

jorkila

I take it to use this Singapore gift card/paypal method you have to use a Singapore address?

Do I have to use paypal to buy the gift card?

Adry9

One slightly off-topic question. How do I change the language of my UWP games on PC? It defaults to my system's language but I'd rather play my games in the original version.

Lima

One slightly off-topic question. How do I change the language of my UWP games on PC? It defaults to my system's language but I'd rather play my games in the original version.

Same way you do it on Xbox. Change your system language if they don't have an option in the menu.

Adry9

Same way you do it on Xbox. Change your system language if they don't have an option in the menu.

I have to change my Windows language in order to do that? There's no other way around???

EDIT: Forza Apex doesn't have an option in the menu for example.

VaelinAlSorna

Neo Member
Just tried buying Fifa 17 from the Indian store. I used to buy with VPN + credit card, but it doesn't work anymore.

Decided to get a Revolut and try it with that, but no luck either. So Revolut + VPN doesn't work...

Luckily Fifa is also available in Hong Kong for just 3 dollars more... Gift card balance + credit card (Revolut) worked fine, even without VPN.

Caayn

So this trick still works? People been banned yet? Been thinking of picking up FH3 from the Honk Kong store with gift cards.

Top Bottom