• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update Available August 2, free for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
Minor thing, but is the Netflix app broken for everyone post update?

yes...

minor is an understatement =(

So is Windows Defender more lightweight now? I've been using Avast free since it's less CPU-intensive but might consider reverting.

Since when? I can't say since 10 > Annv., but it's been better since 8.1

EDIT:

broken -- Note quick action... it points to nothing and just complains

nvm, you just have to open OneNote once for it to work.

EDIT2: How much longer 'til Grammarly on Edge? or Hola? I NEED these extensions.

Neo_Geo

Banned
Netflix app is working fine on my laptop on 1607(14393.10)

EDIT: Minecraft also starts up fine. Did I just get extremely lucky?

A word of warning:

I just ran the update, and somehow this resulted in the partition table being wiped on the harddisk on which Windows 10 is was installed. The disk-utility in Linux Mint just shows the entire disk as unused space. That's certainly novel.

Akronis

Ucchedavāda;212297325 said:
A word of warning:

I just ran the update, and somehow this resulted in the partition table being wiped on the harddisk on which Windows 10 is was installed. The disk-utility in Linux Mint just shows the entire disk as unused space. That's certainly novel.

Should be able to restore the partition pretty easily.

TheSoed

I have Win10 Enterprise, do I need to wait for Windows Update or our IT team? Not sure how to proceed, I found this link but I'm assuming it's for Win10 Home.

Suggestions?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I plan to enjoy bash on windows.

This is the only reason I'm trying to force the fucking thing to update on my Surface.

MS whyyyyy can't I just find the fucking thing and update if I manually check for updates!?

Kabuto

Two small things I've always wanted in Windows are finally here.

I CAN FINALLY SEE THE DATE AND TIME ON BOTH OF MY MONITORS. :') such a small thing but I'm so happy it finally happened.

They simplified the way to switch audio sources. Now it just takes three clicks to change sound coming from my headphones to my speakers.

Very happy with the update so far.

Vanguard

Is it me... or can I no longer set it "Notify to Restart" for updates rather than it automatically doing it? Instead there's this active hours thing where I tell it when I'm using it from a start to end time (so it doesn't restart in between them), but the max is 12 hours. An inbetween time would have been ok, but I much preferred notify to restart as I'll let it update when I turned it off at night :\

edit: Have read that it has been removed :|

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
spent about twenty minutes uninstalling all the crapware again and onedrive but it seems fine. Chrome works and my files are were I left them anyway.

I'm annoyed I can't get rid of the lock screen now though. no reason for it on a desktop.

When did this update go live?

My roommates mom is getting an error when she tries to open ms paint or notepad. It's something like 0xc000007b. Not how to fix it. Started the other day

gohepcat

Banned
I have Win10 Enterprise, do I need to wait for Windows Update or our IT team? Not sure how to proceed, I found this link but I'm assuming it's for Win10 Home.

Suggestions?

Your IT team will enable it, it will probably be a bit. It's not showing up in our usual channels just yet, and it's a very large update.

Primus

Weird, had no problems with the Insider builds of the Anniversary Update and the Linux Subsystem. Now on my home PC, the Linux Subsystem package installs but the actual bash install hangs forever on "Extracting filesystem, this could take a few minutes." Saw some posts saying Kaspersky could cause this but I don't have it.

Aeana

I installed the update via the media creation tool's "upgrade" option, since I couldn't get windows update to give it to me directly. Worked very well, and now I'm enjoying bash on Windows, yay.

Pejo

Gold Member
Xbox Play Anywhere + a new Defender version. 10 uses a newer engine compared to one built for Windows 7.

Improved App store for updates. Now lets users choose where to install.

Holy shit, I had no idea. This alone has stirred up a little excitement in me. My SSD is at about 75% full with Rise of the Tom Braider and Killer Instinct installed. It'll be really nice to offload those to my other HDD.

Akronis

Ucchedavāda;212299407 said:
Oh, how so?

Since you have Linux already, look up how to use gpart. It should be able to restore the partition table and partition.

Just google some partition recovery tools and you should have lots of options :)

ascully

Two small things I've always wanted in Windows are finally here.

I CAN FINALLY SEE THE DATE AND TIME ON BOTH OF MY MONITORS. :') such a small thing but I'm so happy it finally happened.

They simplified the way to switch audio sources. Now it just takes three clicks to change sound coming from my headphones to my speakers.

Very happy with the update so far.

try soundwitch its a program which lets you hit one key to change between audio sources

Since you have Linux already, look up how to use gpart. It should be able to restore the partition table and partition.

Just google some partition recovery tools and you should have lots of options :)

I see, that kind of "pretty easily".
Was already running TestDisk before I posted, but while it appears to be able to read the main partition, it does not correctly recover the partition table based on my notes. Will check if gpart does a better job.

Akronis

Ucchedavāda;212301891 said:
I see, that kind of "pretty easily".
Was already running TestDisk before I posted, but while it appears to be able to read the main partition, it does not correctly recover the partition table based on my notes. Will check if gpart does a better job.

Sorry, I realize it's not quite that simple. Hopefully you have better luck with gpart. I can't fathom how it could just be destroyed like that. Have you looked at the SMART report on the HDD to verify that it's not dying?

Wag

I can't update, I get error 0x80070005.

I tried the standalone package and that doesn't work either.:(

updated from windows update, and now for some bizarre reason, chrome and edge refuse to show some things on google. already tried unninstalling chrome and the video driver.
For some reason, google works fine on Firefox. Almost formatting just for the hell of it.

DonMigs85

Is it worth doing another clean install with the latest build or is the upgrade just about as fast? I think I won't be able to use some older drivers too.

Izuna

Banned
Hmm...

I've been using Sticky Notes since Windows 8. It looks like MS read my fucking mind and made it a main note app.

I like what they did with Windows Ink Workspace. Nice. Sketchpad is exactly what I wanted, and I love that you can "Share" from it. Now it's basically like the Snip tool. I can share straight to LINE, Facebook, Twitter etc. -- what I can't do yet? Share to Skype, because the App ain't out yet =(

EDIT: OH Skype Preview IS out!

Sorry, I realize it's not quite that simple. Hopefully you have better luck with gpart. I can't fathom how it could just be destroyed like that. Have you looked at the SMART report on the HDD to verify that it's not dying?

Don't worry about it. I have an image of the disk from when I first installed Windows 10, and the only thing I risk losing is a few save-games, though it looks like I can recover those with TestDisk.

But yeah, it's rather strange. Checking the SMART report is a good idea, thanks, but smartcontrol reports that the overall health status is "PASSED", there doesn't appear to be any errors in the logs, nor any failures of attributes. It's also not a very old disk, less than a year old at this point.

EDIT: Well, gpart(ed) had no clue, but I was able to partially recreate the partition table with TestDisk. Not enough to give me a functional OS, but enough that it looks like I can easily pillage the stuff that I want to save. Plus, I might be able to avoid having to redownload every Steam game.

I hope they've FINALLY fixed the taskbar failing to show if I switch resolutions. It's been a bug since the insider versions before Win 10 officially released

I also have to unplug and replug in my Xbox One wireless adapter every time I want to use the controller. Hope that's fixed too.

Matty8787

Anybody else using a one controller with wireless adaptor having problems?

My pad is just not connecting and/or turning straight off.

So you think Developers are going to simply ignore 350 million (and counting) potential clients?

Mac OS has a store.
Chrome OS has a store.
Android has a store.
XBOX has a store.
IOS has a store.
AMAZON has a store.

Windows can't have a store?

Considering how completely dead the Mac OS store is, and considering how much of a clusterfuck the Windows Store has been so far, I fully expect developers are going to simply ignore the Windows Store.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Updated. Everything went super smooth. Running great so far.

Only complaint... why couldn't they just call it Windows 10.1? Is that so hard?

it really helps delineate things when talking about different versions of Windows.

"Do you have the Windows 10 with the Anniversary Update installed? It's version 1607!"

or

"Do you have Windows 10.1?" (so much clearer)

Microsoft's strategy is that there aren't versions. Everything is latest. When you install Windows 10 without group policies to disable update, it doesn't matter if you install RTM or the build from yesterday, or today's. Whatever the latest version is Windows update will update to. Similarly with Visual Studio 2015 and other stuff.

I suspect it's to improve efficiency. Microsoft is probably going to leverage all of the time that was spent updating N versions to make new products/software, and/or layoff people to improve margins.

Just a heads up. Windows resets all your power configs to default with this update, so if you were running your desktop computer in high performance mode you will need to go back into Power settings and manually turn down minimum CPU power if you don't want to run at max power consumption at all times.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Just a heads up. Windows resets all your power configs to default with this update, so if you were running your desktop computer in high performance mode you will need to go back into Power settings and manually turn down minimum CPU power if you don't want to run at max power consumption at all times.

Mine stayed high performance. I wonder if the Microsoft login synced my setting. I also may have set a bunch of stuff from work scripts I have in HKLM and it's recreating an account. These updates are pretty bad about file associations; I haven't decided if it's laziness or if Microsoft is pushing their apps on people. Fortunately I literally have massive scripts to set everything the way I want.

It stayed high performance, but I had a custom setting to clock the cpu down when idle that was reset so it was always running at max power regardless.

DonMigs85

Is that the minimum CPU % thing? It's 5% on mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom