• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel announced ($59.99)

1-D_FTW

Big Takeover said:
I've written a lot about the Speed Wheel in the last week, so rather than restate my opinion, I'll just pluck some quotes from myself.

Is Trackmania actually playable? In a competent way? I tried using my G27 with it and quickly ditched the idea after about 90 seconds.

-NinjaBoiX- said:
Nice reactions, cool. Will probably pick one up.

You realise "b" and "x" are gear up and down right?

for those who use clutch, it could be tricky. i am thinking as long as they include the ability to map clutch to "A" you will be fine for that style....even mapping "A" and using up/down on dpad may work pretty well. I always have a hard time with clutch on the shoulder because during hard braking the shoulder is too hard to get to.

Bazhard

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
WHERE IS THE PROPER WHEEL, MICROSOFT.

PEOPLE WANT A PROPER WHEEL.
We will never get a proper wheel, we are stuck between this atrocious thing and the other piece of shit wheel because microsoft doesn't want us to have nice things.

1-D_FTW said:
Is Trackmania actually playable? In a competent way? I tried using my G27 with it and quickly ditched the idea after about 90 seconds.
I only tried it for minute, but I'd say that if there's anyway to increase sensitivity within the game, then yeah I think it would be pretty good. I didn't check for any settings, so I can't actually say.

Having no parasitic drag from a motor, nor having tons of steering lock would pay off in an arcade racer for sure though.

commedieu

Banned
Spasm said:
Where's the rest of it?
midget.jpeg

Doodis

Bazhard said:
We will never get a proper wheel, we are stuck between this atrocious thing and the other piece of shit wheel because microsoft doesn't want us to have nice things.
Wait until you've actually played with it to call it atrocious. It's not.

1-D_FTW said:
I just gave Trackmania Nations an honest try, and frankly it's just too spazzy. The wheel worked great, and I found the input settings which I jacked up all the way. It's just too frantic a game for the speed wheel, or probably any other wheel.

1-D_FTW

Big Takeover said:
I just gave Trackmania Nations an honest try, and frankly it's just too spazzy. The wheel worked great, and I found the input settings which I jacked up all the way. It's just too frantic a game for the speed wheel, or probably any other wheel.

Thanks. Figured as much. Definitely not a knock against the wheel, because the game is most certainly tuned for digital inputs on the steering.

Enosh

spermatic cord said:
I remember reading somewhere that people who actually tested it said that it feels great to use, no idea if that is true or not
although it still looks like shit

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
1-D_FTW said:
Thanks. Figured as much. Definitely not a knock against the wheel, because the game is most certainly tuned for digital inputs on the steering.

Which is unfortunate because the game would have been much more enjoyable had they tuned it to drive properly with a wheel, with proper force feedback and a centering spring strength setting. It's practically unplayable as is with anything but a keyboard or an xbox controller.

So is this confirmed to work with all racing games or just a select few? I'm tempted to pick this up along with Ridge Racer 6, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing and Blur.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
AbsoluteZero said:
So is this confirmed to work with all racing games or just a select few? I'm tempted to pick this up along with Ridge Racer 6, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing and Blur.
It works with everything. It just has no bumper buttons.

guest1321

Alright so I posted this in the Forza 4 Thread but it is also applicable hear and I wanted to share my experience with the Speed Wheel:
Xbox360 Wireless Speed Wheel[/URL]? I'm not sure if I'd want to use it to play Forza 4. I might use it for Burnout or Hot Pursuit, but it just doesn't seem like a good wheel for a sim racer. The price tag seems pretty fair.

I'm loving the Forza 4 demo! I've played it all afternoon and now into the evening. Rivals mode is addictive! I wish more of my friends played the demo. I'm eager to beat some times or at least try. The sense of speed can get scary at times, especially in the Zonda. I could never get into FM2 and FM3 because they both felt so slow. Problem solved! FM4 now preordered.[/QUOTE]
THE SPEED WHEEL IS AWESOME. I've put in about 4 hours into FM3 with the speed wheel and it took a little while to get used to it. Strangely I found myself breaking really late and smashing into shit. I attribute this to it being a wheel type control and when I'm actually driving I expect certain feedback which I obviously was not getting with the Speed Wheel. Like I said, Strange.

After getting used to it (realistically and hour) I could not put it down. It makes driving so much more interactive (perhaps just wheels in general) and you feel like you have a lot more control over the steering. On top of the increased steering precision over a controller, the triggers are also larger and have a longer throw allowing for more precision in accelerating/decelerating.

I don't have a wheel set-up my self but I know someone who has a play seat set up and I know what that feels like. I think the driving factor in my enjoyment of the wheel was the fact that it felt natural and didn't feel like I was sitting awkwardly to accommodate a wheel. If you have room and the funds for a play seat type setup then consider that (I would've but I don't really have room or money atm). The speed wheel not only cuts down on cost but it also cuts down on room and necessary accessories to make wheels feel natural/comfortable.

I think the best part of the Speed Wheel is that you can relax on your couch, sit as your normally would and have a more "realistic" driving experience than the traditional analog stick. As many people have said previously in the thread, the Speed Wheel should be compared to a controller and not a wheel set-up. So understand that you are not buying a funny shaped true wheel configuration.

The wheel was smaller than I had initially thought but it feels great. The center circle (xbox center button area) it heavily weighted so all the weight is really central in that sense. This helps with the steering because you have a point to pivot around. In addition to that the batteries are inserted at the base of the controller (bottom of the U) and run along the base of it |_| . The placement of the batteries helps you find your center. I was a little concerned that the weight was going to become tiresome after prolonged racing ventures. NOT THE CASE. It is still fairly light; and only a little heavier than a controller.

Finally in Forza 4(demo): It is a huge improvement in its feeling. With simulation steering on it is much much more natural feeling. Everything that I was impressed with that was specific to Forza 3, was amplified in Forza4. Really good.

All in all, I would recommend one if you find yourself going for the controller frequently. and don't worry, it doesn't drive like a WiiWheel.

Ketch

I own the old MS wireless ffb racing wheel, and there's a couple things here I don't understand.

1. WTF is that shit? Useless. If your gonna use a racing wheel why would you ever not use a proper ffb wheel with pedals?

and

2. If you also bought one of the old MS wireless ffb wheels and are complaining about having to lug it out every time you play, then you should just be happy with the standard controller. How can you call yourself true racing fans???

The whole point of having a wheel is to simulate driving the car... this thing is not a replacement for a racing wheel, it's a gimmick to get money from people who wish they had a racing wheel... it's a wii wheel, and the wii wheel sucks.

edit: took out the mo fos reference

watership

EasyTGT said:
I own the old MS wireless ffb racing wheel, and there's a couple things here I don't understand.

1. WTF is that shit? Useless. If your gonna use a racing wheel why would you ever not use a proper ffb wheel with pedals?

and

2. If you also bought one of the old MS wireless ffb wheels and are complaining about having to lug it out every time you play, then you should just be happy with the standard controller. How can you call yourself true racing fans???

The whole point of having a wheel is to simulate driving the car... this thing is not a replacement for a racing wheel, it's a gimmick to get money from people who wish they had a racing wheel... it's a wii wheel, and the wii wheel sucks.

Take it down a notch dude. Everyone shit on this thing when they first saw it. Yet, there hasn't been one negative impression from anyone who's used it yet. Hard core wheel guys have said it's better than a controller. You're just lashing out at how it looks.

guest1321

EasyTGT said:

and

It sounds like you have never used this device. Although I see where you are coming from, after using the device I can state that you are clearly mislead as I once was. I took a gamble and pre-ordered it. This is the perfect in between, controller and wheel, device. Sure, if you are a racing fan you want a wheel, but a lot of people don't have the money or space to have one (don't give me some shit about how people could save up). For those of us who aren't ready to take the plunge or are looking for something more substantial than a controller, this is it. It providers a more accurate turning input as well as acceleration/deceleration.

You say it is like a wiiWheel but you have [obviously] never tried it. Give it a shot and come back to this thread when you have an opinion with basis.

krpiper

These words are cool, I want one but being a poor college student I dont have money for this and Forza 4, so i will just settle with the game.

Maybe Black Friday will bring a sale or something.

I wish I could try it out for my self though before I bought it

dejay

Banned
EasyTGT said:

and

Take it easy junior; you haven't been here long enough for your rants to be taken as any thing other than hostile stupidity. Yes - I'm saying that I'd prefer this for quick pick up and play over the FFB wheel or a controller. It's true I'm not obsessed with racing games - there are other genres and real life as well, but I like them enough to have owned plenty of titles, owned 2 racing wheels and built several devices in which to house said wheels. It's not a Wii wheel and you're obviously not hearing what those people who are blessed with a more open mind than you are saying.

In short it's a device that offers more accuracy and nuance than a regular controller in terms of steering, throttle and brake control. It gives some of the advantages of a dedicated wheel with some of the advantages of a controller. A middle ground if you like. Sure, you could argue that it has some of the disadvantages of both devices, and you'd be correct, but not everyone has the same priorities as you.

You're quite welcome to not purchase it.

Ketch

dejay said:
Take it easy junior

Haha, yea I tried to edit it to dial it back a bit, but damnit... why can't they just make stuff that I want? Those bastards with their million dollar companies.

You're also right saying I haven't tried it and I'm probably not going to... because I already own the old racing wheel and there's no reason for me to downgrade to "not a a racing wheel" controller.

Even for the people who think this thing is great (yey! opinions!), wouldn't you rather have a an actual ffb racing wheel/pedals that was more user friendly/easier to set up instead?

Also, maybe I missed it in the hands on impressions posted or the video that was shown, but how is this any different then the wii wheel? Besides maybe size and shape, it's still gotta be gyros in there, and it's still not attached to anything. In the end your still holding up a controller and and pretending to drive a car... instead of uhh, holding a fake steering wheel... and pretending to drive a car.

EasyTGT said:
Haha, yea I tried to edit it to dial it back a bit, but damnit... why can't they just make stuff that I want? Those bastards with their million dollar companies.

You're also right saying I haven't tried it and I'm probably not going to... because I already own the old racing wheel and there's no reason for me to downgrade to "not a a racing wheel" controller.

Even for the people who think this thing is great (yey! opinions!), wouldn't you rather have a an actual ffb racing wheel/pedals that was more user friendly/easier to set up instead?

Also, maybe I missed it in the hands on impressions posted or the video that was shown, but how is this any different then the wii wheel? Besides maybe size and shape, it's still gotta be gyros in there, and it's still not attached to anything. In the end your still holding up a controller and and pretending to drive a car... instead of uhh, holding a fake steering wheel... and pretending to drive a car.

You are still missing the point here. It's not replacement for FFB wheel. If you want one of those there are PLENTY of choices now for the 360. MadCatz is coming out with one, Fanatec has several out or coming out, or you can pick up original Microsoft wheel used somewhere.

This is for people who can only play with pad, but instead of flicking a stick they can simulate driving with this motion sensor wheel.

I am not sure why people always have to go upset for more option for others. If it's not for you then move on find something that is for you. I am not sure what your racing set up look like but there are some crazy hardcore that probably think that unless it has 4 screens, full hydraulic seat and 7.1 sound system then you don't have a "real" race car set up to drive you know fake video game cars.

Doodis

EasyTGT said:
Yes, I'd rather have a ffb wheel/pedals for playing this game. But guess what? I don't have hundreds of dollars to spend, nor do I have room to put a true set up in my family's entertainment area.

Did I have $15 plus some store credit to spend on a better option to the controller I'd normally be playing with? I certainly did.

Stop being a douchebag. If you follow your line of thinking, why are you playing a fake game using a fake driving setup? Why don't you just go spend the money on a real race car?

Pete Rock

Wario64 said:
...the Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel provides intuitive standard controller buttons that immerse the driver into the game, whether you like to white knuckle it down the race track with your hands at “10 and 2” or “9 and 3.”
People get paid to write that shit?

Ketch

antiquegamer said:
I am not sure why people always have to go upset for more option for others.

I'm not upset that there's more options for others, I'm upset because they didn't make what I wanted (entitlement!), which was a better racing wheel. It's already been said, but I'll repeat it, if your going to cater to the racing sim fan... the people who are most likely to buy extra stuff just for their racing games... why would you put this out alongside the next Forza game?

That being said, I'm happy that this is going to work for you. If you end up buying it, I hope it turns out to be worth the money and better then whatever my expectations for it are.

Doodis said:
Stop being a douchebag.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a douchebag. I'm just trying to express my displeasure with this product, my opinion on what they should have made, and surprise that anyone is actually happy with this.

Gonna stop posting now, I hope I got my point across, and I'm not trying to start any internet fights.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Bazhard said:
We will never get a proper wheel
We've had a proper wheel for years with the first Fanatec PWTS, and again with their current model. Yeah it's pricey, but it's easily at least on par with the Logitech stuff, and easily superior (but more expensive) if you include things like the clubsport pedals.

krpiper

I am debating going and picking the wheel up after class today, but I'd like to hear some opnions :)

I am a casual-ish racer. I am trying to drive manual and with most asists turned off (ABS is the only one I use in F3)

krpiper said:
I am debating going and picking the wheel up after class today, but I'd like to hear some opnions :)

I am a casual-ish racer. I am trying to drive manual and with most asists turned off (ABS is the only one I use in F3)
There aren't a ton of people who have them yet, so you might have settle for the handful of impressions from the last couple pages. There's more buried in the pre-OT Forza thread too.

It's worth noting that, just like when you use a wheel with Forza, you're going to want to switch to a regular controller to paint, take pictures etc. Anything you'd need a stick for.

Just pop the battery pack on the Speed Wheel so it turns off, and hit then guide button on the controller to turn it on. When you want to switch back, it's the reverse. You don't need to sync anything. It will default to player one each time, so no worries.

It's not a big deal. More just an FYI for those who have/will get one.

alphaNoid

Banned
I still have and use my MS FFS racing wheel from like 2007 and its awesome. Sure its not a $400 wheel but I wasn't going to spend that much on a wheel. I got my MS one for $30 after some giftcards. I also have a Wheel Stand Pro for it.. works great.

I'm sort of confused sometimes by the racing community, like unless you spend $400 on a wheel you just aren't good enough. For me, I have a budget to work within and gaming is only a hobby not a way of life. I really do love my setup, looking forward to F4.

I tried this wireless wheel at E3 and it was surprisingly accurate, but with clear cons. Mainly its not a true wheel and your arms may get tired but it sure beats using analog sticks.

alphaNoid said:
I still have and use my MS FFS racing wheel from like 2007 and its awesome. Sure its not a $400 wheel but I wasn't going to spend that much on a wheel. I got my MS one for $30 after some giftcards. I also have a Wheel Stand Pro for it.. works great.

I'm sort of confused sometimes by the racing community, like unless you spend $400 on a wheel you just aren't good enough. For me, I have a budget to work within and gaming is only a hobby not a way of life. I really do love my setup, looking forward to F4.

I tried this wireless wheel at E3 and it was surprisingly accurate, but with clear cons. Mainly its not a true wheel and your arms may get tired but it sure beats using analog sticks.
I agree with everything you've said, but I'd just like to mention that standing up while using it (E3) isn't something anyone would be likely to do at home. I'd imagine it would get tiring if I had to do it though. Being able to rest your arms on your legs while sitting on your couch makes a big difference. You don't need to hold it out in front of you either, which you might get a better sense of when sitting down.

I bought this thing a bit ago because of how well it was received in the F4 thread and I am loving it. It allows for some very precise and smooth inputs and it feels great. I let my friend try it out on F3 and within 20 minutes she went and bought her own.

It takes some getting used to because you will forget to return it to center and you will definitely over-steer a lot at first. But once you get the hang of it, it is honestly hard to go back to the controller. Plus the triggers feel fatter and longer than the standard controller so you can modulate the gas and brake a lot better.

It does feel hefty, but not so bad that it will make you tired. I was playing with it for quite a while the other night and my arms didn't feel any more tired than when I use a controller. You don't have to hold it up while you play, you can rest your hands on your knees like a normal controller when you use it.

Is it as good as a real wheel? Of course not, but it is incredible for the price. If you don't want to shell out $200+ for a decent wheel it is a fantastic alternative. Everyone I have actually let use it has loved it. It looks stupid as hell at first glance, but if you dismiss it you will be missing out on a fantastic controller.

Doodis

EasyTGT said:
It's already been said, but I'll repeat it, if your going to cater to the racing sim fan... the people who are most likely to buy extra stuff just for their racing games... why would you put this out alongside the next Forza game?

There's your problem. This is not meant to cater to the hardcore sim fan. It's meant to pull in the casual fan. They've got the hardcore fans. The hardcore fans have options for a serious wheel set up. The way Microsoft will make more money and grow the franchise is by bringing more casual people in. And this wheel is meant to be an option for the more casual/semi-serious players.

And finally, I'll say it again, if you haven't tried the dang thing, don't knock it.

And now I'm done.

T Ghost

I already have a Microsoft FFB Wheel and a Wheel Stand Pro. Although I think that the FFB is too light (spoiled by the logitech GT PRO FFB) I like the wheel.

But I'm "not allowed" by the wife to let my wheel set up in the living room (after I got a "should I pick up after my 40 year old toddler plays in the living room?" I agreed with her demands). So I'm tired of lugging my setup up and down the stairs.

Finally, I do not like to play Forza on the controller as I think it's too imprecise for it.

GAF, am I a right candidate to drive to the store now at lunch time and spend $60 a MS Speed Wheel?

liger05

I think I might get this. the feedback seems pretty good and it sounds like it will do me fine. I aint got the space or ready to pay the expense for a proper driving wheel set up.

feel

EasyTGT said:

and

EasyTGT said:
I'm not upset that there's more options for others, I'm upset because they didn't make what I wanted (entitlement!), which was a better racing wheel. It's already been said, but I'll repeat it, if your going to cater to the racing sim fan... the people who are most likely to buy extra stuff just for their racing games... why would you put this out alongside the next Forza game?

That being said, I'm happy that this is going to work for you. If you end up buying it, I hope it turns out to be worth the money and better then whatever my expectations for it are.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a douchebag. I'm just trying to express my displeasure with this product, my opinion on what they should have made, and surprise that anyone is actually happy with this.

Gonna stop posting now, I hope I got my point across, and I'm not trying to start any internet fights.
You're ridiculous.

Lots of people will eat this up because of the attractive price and the nice middle-ground between the expensive/cluttering full wheel set up, and just steering with the wireless controller stick. It's so annoying having to steer with the stick just because the full wheel thing is way too much for me, so this is perfect. Impressions have been nothing but stellar on gaf and on youtube, I ordered mine.

T Ghost said:
I already have a Microsoft FFB Wheel and a Wheel Stand Pro. Although I think that the FFB is too light (spoiled by the logitech GT PRO FFB) I like the wheel.

But I'm "not allowed" by the wife to let my wheel set up in the living room (after I got a "should I pick up after my 40 year old toddler plays in the living room?" I agreed with her demands). So I'm tired of lugging my setup up and down the stairs.

Finally, I do not like to play Forza on the controller as I think it's too imprecise for it.

GAF, am I a right candidate to drive to the store now at lunch time and spend $60 a MS Speed Wheel?
Absolutely. It's got a hell of a lot higher WAF than a wheel/pedal setup.

As long as you keep expectations in check, of course. It can never be as good as a ffb wheel. Once you get through a short learning curve, I'd expect you to much prefer it to a controller though.

Enosh said:
I remember reading somewhere that people who actually tested it said that it feels great to use, no idea if that is true or not
although it still looks like shit
As a person who owns this prototype I just want to say this is untrue. The controller felt nice to hold but pressing the R2/L2 buttons was the the most unergonomic thing you could do.

Top Bottom