• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel announced ($59.99)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
2th said:
i disagree. i think the design is not only attractive but very functional. Will you really spin a wheel? no. you will essentially keep your hands in the same position and move the controller. a wheel would end up being more of a hassle than you might think.
Uh.. a wheel that is *actually* like a steering wheel for a car may be a hassle but it makes the experience feel much more genuine and akin to an actual car. And people who've used such will certainly not glue their hands in the same position, but move their hands around too like they would for steering an actual car.

uncledonnie said:
Not seeing what Kinect has to do with this.
Who is the target audience for this? Certainly not the people who've been screaming for a decent wheel since that POS Wireless Wheel came out on 360, or who've been asking for a higher quality classic racing wheel to use. It's inescapably meant for the Kinect slash casual audience MS is trying to court while neglecting what racing game fans-those most likely to purchase peripherals to augment their experiences in certain games anyways- have been asking for.

uncledonnie said:
Not seeing what Kinect has to do with this.
Actually, I was hoping this isn't just a tilt/gyroscope based tech, and is using something like Kinect to give even more accurate data, but I guess not.

enzo_gt said:
Who is the target audience for this? Certainly not the people who've been screaming for a decent wheel since that POS Wireless Wheel came out on 360, or who've been asking for a higher quality classic racing wheel to use. It's inescapably meant for the Kinect slash casual audience MS is trying to court while neglecting what racing game fans-those most likely to purchase peripherals to augment their experiences in certain games anyways- have been asking for.

Um ok but wouldn't the Kinect users not be using a wheel at all, as we've seen in every Kinect racer so far including Forza?

iamcenok

Motherfucking shit balls, what is this?!

It's as if Microsoft doesnt want Forza to be as big as it can be. Or allow people to get the full experience.
Either get this... thing.. their old shitty wheel or an expensive wheel with limited production runs.

I'm sure this can work well enough on arcade racers, but DO NOT WANT for forza.
Looks like im still racing with a standard controller.

2th said:
i disagree. i think the design is not only attractive but very functional. Will you really spin a wheel? no. you will essentially keep your hands in the same position and move the controller. a wheel would end up being more of a hassle than you might think.

Have you ever actually driven a car? Just curious. I know you've never raced one, because if you had you wouldn't have made such an ignorant statement.

vixlar

I had hope that with Forza 3 being compatible with clutch some day Microsoft would launch a Steering wheel with clutch.... now, all my hopes are lost :-(

clav

BoobPhysics101 said:
Have you ever actually driven a car? Just curious. I know you've never raced one, because if you had you wouldn't have made such an ignorant statement.
Do the F1 cars have pedals?

I thought they were all triggers and buttons. There are no pedals on those cars.

Shaneus

Well, looks like our only hope is that either Logitech or Fanatec release something a little more... wheely.

ElyrionX

What the fuck is this fucking shit? I'm supposed to play fucking Forza with this piece of shit?

Fuck Microsoft. And fuck Turn 10 for putting up with this bullshit.

Just give logitech free encryption or whatever for steering wheels, ugh.

Any chance the green caps are for the Kinect to identify movement?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I have a 360 wireless wheel and it's a pain in the ass to drag out of the closet and set up, so much so that I can count the times I've used it on one hand. I can't believe I'm saying this, but this peripheral actually looks like something I might buy, simply because it's so much easier to just pick up and use, as opposed to the wheel.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
luxarific said:
I have a 360 wireless wheel and it's a pain in the ass to drag out of the closet and set up, so much so that I can count the times I've used it on one hand. I can't believe I'm saying this, but this peripheral actually looks like something I might buy, simply because it's so much easier to just pick up and use, as opposed to the wheel.

and you are exactly the person that this is designed for. I consider myself in the same boat; I have a wheel, but don't want to drag it out of the closet and hook it all up. this could be a nice go between a controller and a full wheel setup. If there's little to no lag, I think it could be cool.

clav

luxarific said:
This is why some people that I know do not like the previous MS Wheel.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
uncledonnie said:
Um ok but wouldn't the Kinect users not be using a wheel at all, as we've seen in every Kinect racer so far including Forza?
Who says Kinect racers won't be using this wheel at all? You still can in them IIRC, it will just augment your experience. It's not *required.*

Oh this is definitely made to go hand in hand with Forza 4, considering the inclusion of head tracking and all, it's a perfect fit. It's just not same fit people have wanted forever.

That's quite the odd design. I can't imagine it will feel all that great if it isn't mounted on anything (I didn't really like the wiimote for MK either)

patchday

luxarific said:

That's why you should get a wheelstand. Look up wheelstand pro for instance.

Man I am in shock. All I ever asked Microsoft for was a decent got damn wheel to play their game with. Its like I'm trying to give you guys money....

Damn, guess Fanatec is the only way to go. Hello 6 month wait for a new wheel. I'm thinking screw Forza and just still with my ps3/pc wheel (t500rs)

Truespeed

claviertekky said:
Do the F1 cars have pedals?

I thought they were all triggers and buttons. There are no pedals on those cars.

Not sure if you're serious. All F1 cars have pedals. It's how they accelerate and brake.

I thought the pictures fully loaded but clearly something went wrong. Where is the steering wheel? All I see is the bicycle simulator attachment.

clav

Truespeed said:
Not sure if you're serious. All F1 cars have pedals. It's how they accelerate and brake.
All right I stand corrected.

I was under the impression that the driver has the ability to change gears via steering wheel with if desired braking and acceleration mechanisms as well.

onken

I think it looks kinda cute! Looks like the sort of thing you could pass around easily at a party or something.

Magni

onken said:
I think it looks kinda cute! Looks like the sort of thing you could pass around easily at a party or something.

Yeah this is perfect for casual fun with friends at parties, but where the fuck is the wheel for the core? Not everyone can afford Fanatec's stuff, and it's absurd that we don't have anything proper from MS..

0e8ID.jpg

Honestly if they offered something on par with a high level Logitech wheel for the hardcore this could be a good entry level wheel for casual players. But as a definitive wheel for a racing sim it's a joke.

I like it. As many others, I have a wheel, but find it too much hassle to set up.
So how do you use this? Do you just hold it in the air, or rest it on something? Does it need to be vertical?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I am trading in my ECCI 7000 for this wheel!!!! BEST. WHEEL. EVAR!!!!!!

fucking hideous. all the time and money wasted on this shit when they could just add logitech support with a usb add-on/converter.

logitech support means more forza sales. do it you arsehats.

SmokyDave

That's fucking shocking. MS really don't understand racing games / gamers. I feel sorry for Turn10, imagine having to keep a straight face when the marketing man shows you the new hotness!

Forza 4 deserves better than this :(

BeeDog

ASS TO ASS

I can't imagine a steering wheel without proper FFB. I also couldn't imagine a hovering wheel until now.

Top Bottom