• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So where is Sony Computer Entertainment's "major" RPG franchise?

JJD

Ninja_Hawk said:
Guerilla's next game is rumored to be this.

Really? Do you have a link or a quote? I would love this! KZ2 was amazing, both SP and MP, KZ3 was an ok SP and a really bad MP. I hope Guerrilla would just stop trying to copy COD or Halo, they're a talented bunch they can do better by themselves. I would love to see they try a new genre!

That's why while I'm eager to play U3, and I'm pretty sure I'll love it, I wish Naughty Dog would try something different. 3 games in the same series is enough for now. There's nowhere for then to go on the PS3 with Drake, let him rest until the PS4. Ammy Henning was one of the people responsible for the Soul Reaver games right? Imagine something like that made by ND!

Korigama

Takao said:
A lot of it is nostalgia. In the west at least, it was basically the big non-Square RPG on PSone.
I played through it from start to finish again last year, and it wasn't nostalgia for me. That said, I've come to accept that people either love it or hate it with a fervor that borders on completely irrational for a video game (that's the part I don't understand, I would at least get simply not liking it). Personally, I had never played any RPG that I felt as negatively some people do about this until this gen.
I'd most certainly rather be playing LoD right now than that atrocity that was FFXIII.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Mana Legend said:
Oh yeah, and Legend of Dragoon was the peak of originality and game design.
I have fond memories of the game, but I don't even know why.

Hyuga said:
This!
And don't forget the "loyal fans" stuff.
It should be SCEI's goal to keep their community/fans satisfied.
An AAA RPG is clearly missing >:-(

I mean, .... another poor shooter from Zipper Interactive? Really? Really?? Another M.A.G? Another SOCOM (Hey, SOCOM on the PS2 was awesome. But now....)? Another game with average grahpics and archaic gamplay/shooting mechanics?
Come on!? Use the money for a role-playing-game!
MAG is in no way poor shooter.

Hyuga

Banned
JJD said:
Really? Do you have a link or a quote? I would love this! KZ2 was amazing, both SP and MP, KZ3 was an ok SP and a really bad MP. I hope Guerrilla would just stop trying to copy COD or Halo, they're a talented bunch they can do better by themselves. I would love to see they try a new genre!
Don't forget: They have two teams/studios now!
Beam said:
MAG is in no way poor shooter.
Their last good game was on the PS2 :-/

Acrylic7

JJD said:
Really? KZ2 was amazing, both SP and MP, KZ3 was an ok SP and a really bad MP. I hope Guerrilla would just stop trying to copy COD or Halo, they're a talented bunch they can do better by themselves. I would love to see they try a new genre!

I do not understand the kz3 love. I cant compliment that game in any way or form.

Kz2 on the other hand, is a fantastical game.

RaijinFY

Acrylic7 said:
I do not understand the kz3 love. I cant compliment that game in any way or form.

Kz2 on the other hand, is a fantastical game.

Just fantastic.

EDIT:

Oh and for those who are asking a remake of Legend of Dragoon needs to get their brain checked seriously. Terrible game.

Takao

Banned
57axR.jpg

Trailer

2XnhN.jpg
2mKFD.jpg

I mentioned this game previously, it was just released in Japan, and is receiving some decent praise. Early word is that it's selling well too. SCEJ did say they hoped to make this a franchise ...

As well, looking back through time I've found some bizarre things in SCEJ's past. Like, who knew SCEJ made an Eyetoy game where you're catching monsters with cards and junk that had a manga series done by the creator of Beyblade? It's quite interesting, and honestly, depressing to look back through their past.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Takao said:
http://i.imgur.com/57axR.jpg
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o-glxPmxMDY#]Trailer[/url]
[/QUOTE]

This look fucking amazing.

[QUOTE=Takao]
I mentioned this game previously,[B] it was just released in Japan[/B], and is receiving some decent praise. Early word is that it's selling well too. [B]SCEJ did say they hoped to make this a franchise ...[/B][/QUOTE]

:|

make it a franchise by releasing it on a dead system in the west like the PSP and not saving it for Vita? yeah super smart.

Ape Quest (also in-house) was amazing too, but yet they didn't expand it or even try to do that, Japan Studio is just the weirdest studio ever.

Totobeni said:
make it a franchise by releasing it on a dead system in the west like the PSP and not saving it for Vita? yeah super smart.

Ape Quest (also in-house) was amazing too, but yet they didn't expand it or even try to do that, Japan Studio is just the weirdest studio ever.

it will probably never sell in western market, it look like snes game, and the reason why it got made in the first place is probably because it's cheap to make.

why does the character sprites have this thick blacklines, it look like those snes emu 2d filter thing to mask the low resolution sprites. it didn't look good imo.

Takao

Banned
Callibretto said:
it will probably never sell in western market, it look like snes game, and the reason why it got made in the first place is probably because it's cheap to make.

why does the character sprites have this thick blacklines, it look like those snes emu 2d filter thing to mask the low resolution sprites. it didn't look good imo.

They went for a water colour painting look, hence the thick black outlines. As I mentioned before, it's a remake of a PSone game, and rather than doing a straight art style update, they felt they could make it unique.

Shouta

Takao said:
They went for a water colour painting look, hence the thick black outlines. As I mentioned before, it's a remake of a PSone game, and rather than doing a straight art style update, they felt they could make it unique.

And it generally looks good while you're playing It's fairly humble and easy on the eyes. Gameplay can be quite hardcore though.

Takao

Banned
klee123 said:
Sony should get the rights to Linda Cubed and make a HD remake on Vita/PS3

Funny thing, Alfa System developed both Linda Cubed, and Over My Dead Body. It appears Linda Cubed may actually be the property of Alfa, as it seems SCE released the PSone remake of LC.

Takao said:

the UI and everything really give you this retro rpg feel to it, and character not even have standby animation during battle make it look really cheap. you said it's pretty well received in jp, do you know if it's because of the story or gameplay mechanic?

klee123

Takao said:
Funny thing, Alfa System developed both Linda Cubed, and Over My Dead Body. It appears Linda Cubed may actually be the property of Alfa, as it seems SCE released the PSone remake of LC.

Well, Lunda Cubed was also on Saturn and PC-engine. In fact, the PSone version was a port of the PC-engine version.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
klee123 said:
Well, Lunda Cubed was also on Saturn and PC-engine. In fact, the PSone version was a port of the PC-engine version.

What system has the best version of Linda^3? Game always very heavily intrigued me... very ahead of its time in terms of concept and storyline, a truly "adult" RPG with Pokemon-style elements thrown in. Sounds like, if it ever came out in America (like, a handheld port or something), it would be an instant cult hit.

ZoddGutts

Uncharted 3 has sold less than Fable 3 in it's first and 2nd week and that's with Fable 3 having only been out for 2 days in it's first week. Just goes to show that Sony really needs their own WRPG series.

Fable 3 sells 128,895 in two days, sells more than UC3 did in 11 days:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411820

2nd week it did at least 46k also more than UC3 2nd week.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412480

U3 first week (11 days) was 128k
U3 second week is 35k

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451970

Fable 3 first week (2 days) was 128,895
Fable 3 second week was 46k

The Fable series wasn't just a big seller in the U.S. but in the U.K and other parts of Europe as well.

Corto

ZoddGutts said:
Uncharted 3 has sold less than Fable 3 in it's first and 2nd week and that's with Fable 3 having only been out for 2 days in it's first week. Just goes to show that Sony really needs their own WRPG series.

U3 second week is 35k

The Fable series wasn't just a big seller in the U.S. but in the U.K and other parts of Europe as well.

That could only mean that Fable 3 sales were more front loaded than UC3. If you compare UC3 with UC2 there's a slight growth in total sales. I would also love a WRPG from a Sony first party studio (though which one would be a good question too) or a renowned third party, but the sales of Fable 3 can't be automatically extrapolated like you're doing to validate that wish. I would also bet that in an alternate universe that mythic Sony WRPG would sell worse in the UK than UC3 even. Final quality of the game notwithstanding.

Huff

Banned
ZoddGutts said:

U3 second week is 35k

This has nothing to do with anything.

klee123

djtiesto said:
What system has the best version of Linda^3? Game always very heavily intrigued me... very ahead of its time in terms of concept and storyline, a truly "adult" RPG with Pokemon-style elements thrown in. Sounds like, if it ever came out in America (like, a handheld port or something), it would be an instant cult hit.

Not sure how each version compares, but I can definitely say the PSone version is the most accessable since it's on the JPN PS store.

In terms of releases, it came out on PC engine first, then to the saturn and then finally on PSone.

Top Bottom