• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OK nerds, you win. Song of Ice and Fire is gud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arment

ZephyrFate said:
The biggest issue with saying Erikson is as good as Martin is that while Erikson's world is larger, his characters are some of the most unrealistic ever. Hard to get attached to the majority of them.

Martin is definitely more realistic. It's hard to say which series I enjoy more, but I would have to give it to Martin there.

It's hard to compare their worlds but I just love Erikson's mythology. It's something you don't quite get in A Song of Ice and Fire.

tokkun

ZephyrFate said:
The biggest issue with saying Erikson is as good as Martin is that while Erikson's world is larger, his characters are some of the most unrealistic ever. Hard to get attached to the majority of them.

I don't understand why people always need to compare Erikson and Martin. I don't find their books to be similar at all. Martin reminds me of historical fiction while Erikson reminds me of Marvel comics.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
this thread always makes me want to read more Abercrombie :lol

I got 'best served cold' but I'm still trying to finish the master and margarita, which I'm finding good, but difficult for some reason.

Dresden said:
Abercrombie's "Heroes" should be kick-ass. Next Spring is shaping up to be a damn good one for scifi/fantasy fans, with new Abercrombie, and hopefully new books from Lynch, Rothfuss, and Bakker along with, just maybe, who knows, Martin.

People in the know say the new Lynch will hit in March. This is also when the new Rothfuss will be out. What a month!

Mockingbird said:
People in the know say the new Lynch will hit in March. This is also when the new Rothfuss will be out. What a month!

Probably the two books I'm looking forward to the most outside of A Dance With Dragons and the next Abercrombie book.

Speaking of which, slightly off-topic but are any of GRRM's books / creations worth reading like the Wild Card series?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
BlueWord said:
Rothfuss, though, I really don't understand all the love he gets. The Name of the Wind felt like a mash-up of a bunch of stuff, and the end result was sort of unbelievable. Also, the main character was definitely the very definition of a Mary Sue, which bugged the heck out of me.
:lol

Just had to quote this again. I don't get the appeal of Wind at ALL. Abercrombie's series is so much more gripping and entertaining.

Dresden

Sir Garbageman said:
Speaking of which, slightly off-topic but are any of GRRM's books / creations worth reading like the Wild Card series?
Yeah, both Tuf Voyaging and Sandkings, especially Sandkings, are great.

Fevre Dream is another good one.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Kuro Madoushi said:

Just had to quote this again. I don't get the appeal of Wind at ALL. Abercrombie's series is so much more gripping and entertaining.

Correct. Whoever compared Rothfuss to Harry Potter earlier was spot-on. The HP books bored me, maybe that's I felt the Rothfuss book was pretty mediocre as well.

Abercrombie is just damn fun to read.

suffah said:
Correct. Whoever compared Rothfuss to Harry Potter earlier was spot-on. The HP books bored me, maybe that's I felt the Rothfuss book was pretty mediocre as well.

Abercrombie is just damn fun to read.

The Bloody Nine POV is the most awe inspiring thing I have ever read. I actually had to take a break once or twice after reading his chapters, just to let the awesomeness sink in.

Arment

Forgotten_Taco said:
I really can't stand Erickson's style of prose, it's the literary equivalent of nails on a chalk board for me.

First time I've heard this level of distaste for his writing. I find his prose flows well. He can do detail without getting Tolkienesque.

Kuro Madoushi said:

Out of curiosity are you talking about his series that starts with The Blade Itself? I picked up Best Served Cold and The Blade Itself around the same time and started with Best Served Cold but it really seemed to drag on for me which kinda put me off of The Blade Itself. All this talk is making me think I should give Abercrombie another try.

moojito

I gave the blade itself a try, but really didn't get into it at all. I got to the part where that guy who was in training for some kind of sword fight beat the first guy in the tournament. Is the story still gathering pace at that point, or if I don't dig it by then is it a lost cause?

I'm working my way through the lies of locke lamora now and after a slow start it's really starting to get interesting.

moojito said:
I gave the blade itself a try, but really didn't get into it at all. I got to the part where that guy who was in training for some kind of sword fight beat the first guy in the tournament. Is the story still gathering pace at that point, or if I don't dig it by then is it a lost cause?

I'm working my way through the lies of locke lamora now and after a slow start it's really starting to get interesting.

Yeah, The Blade itself is more like a slow prologue. It really doesn't pick up until close to the end, which is just pure awesome, and then it hooked me hard and I finished the other books in the series over a few days.

tokkun

Kuro Madoushi said:

The appeal of Rothfuss is the quality of his prose. The man can write a really good sentence. The Name of the Wind didn't even need to be a fantasy novel, in my opinion. Remove the magic stuff, and it still would have been a good novel. It's the type of book that I feel comfortable recommending to my friends with English degrees who normally don't like fantasy.

I'm also an Abercrombie fan, but I don't think I've ever read anything of his and felt like 'Wow, I really loved the way it was written.' I enjoy him more for the way he creates characters that are twisted versions of the fantasy archetypes and then sets them against each other.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ZephyrFate said:

I've only read about 100 pages into Erikson's first book (Gardens of the Moon), but my biggest problem with Erikson was juvenile it seemed. The description of the events in what I read just sounded like something a teenage boy would come up with. It was like, "and then out of nowhere a massive demon appeared and tore the head off of the nearby sorcerer before unleashing 'waves of magic' that wrought carnage on the battlefield." Everything just seemed so random and lacked any kind of explanation whatsoever. It was like Erikson was writing down things he thought sounded cool to himself as they popped into his mind without a care for the reader.

I liked some of his prose, but I found a lot of it hard to read. The way he structures a lot of his sentences and some of the words he chose to use sounded awkward and caused me to read some sentences over and over before I could understand what he meant. I've never had this problem with GRRM or Abercrombie.

Then again, there are tons of Erikson fans out there so maybe I'm just missing something. Since I already bought the first book I will probably give it another chance someday.

Jerk

Banned
Zefah said:
I've only read about 100 pages into Erikson's first book (Gardens of the Moon), but my biggest problem with Erikson was juvenile it seemed. The description of the events in what I read just sounded like something a teenage boy would come up with. It was like, "and then out of nowhere a massive demon appeared and tore the head off of the nearby sorcerer before unleashing 'waves of magic' that wrought carnage on the battlefield." Everything just seemed so random and lacked any kind of explanation whatsoever. It was like Erikson was writing down things he thought sounded cool to himself as they popped into his mind without a care for the reader.

I liked some of his prose, but I found a lot of it hard to read. The way he structures a lot of his sentences and some of the words he chose to use sounded awkward and caused me to read some sentences over and over before I could understand what he meant. I've never had this problem with GRRM or Abercrombie.

Then again, there are tons of Erikson fans out there so maybe I'm just missing something. Since I already bought the first book I will probably give it another chance someday.

I suggest you torch GotM and either start with Deadhouse gates (2nd book) or Midnight tides (sort of standalone so you need not have read any of the others).

Midnight Tides especially is probably his best work. It is here that you see why he is often compared with some of the greats in the genre.

It is a shame that none of his other books ever touch it.

One thing that I will say about Erickson is that is he so attached to the philosophical/political/world building in his story that he neglects certain things that many find important ( consistent characterization for one). With that said, his world(s) are amazing and extremely impressive; not many writers in the genre can construct worlds as good as his.

ZephyrFate said:
Tuf Voyaging and Sandkings are phenomenal.

In my opinion, this is his best work.

Zefah said:

This has come up in another thread but I hit about the same exact point in Garden's of the Moon before I gave up for essentially the same issues. Just didn't grab me in any way shape or form.

On the flipside though, I've loved all of Abercrombie's books and the gritty, brutal world he's created. I really dug The Name of the Wind as well even with the Mary Sue effect in full swing. Tokkun said it better than I can with regards to both:

The appeal of Rothfuss is the quality of his prose. The man can write a really good sentence. The Name of the Wind didn't even need to be a fantasy novel, in my opinion. Remove the magic stuff, and it still would have been a good novel. It's the type of book that I feel comfortable recommending to my friends with English degrees who normally don't like fantasy.

I'm also an Abercrombie fan, but I don't think I've ever read anything of his and felt like 'Wow, I really loved the way it was written.' I enjoy him more for the way he creates characters that are twisted versions of the fantasy archetypes and then sets them against each other.

Abercrombie, Routhfuss, and Scott Lynch are def my new favorite fantasy authors on the scene and looking forward to all of their next books.

ZephyrFate said:
Tuf Voyaging and Sandkings are phenomenal.

I'll give these two a shot, thanks.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
tokkun said:

I'm not entirely sure what having an English degree has to do with enjoying a fantasy novel. I do have one, and it hasn't really changed my taste of fantasy novels...even if everyone shits on them in the literary world.

Anyways, the reasons you listed are the exact reasons I like Abercrombie. It's a different take on familiar archetypes. However, he really shines once you get into the stories. I remember first reading Blade and thinking it wasn't that great. The second book is where it picks up and I had to get the third after finishing half of the second. After finishing the third, I immediately went to get Served Cold. Sorta the same stuff...starts slow and then really ramps it up. The only thing I didn't like about it was the identity of the assassin...

Anyways, back on topic

I still think Martin >>> Aber >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Roth

I do hope he gets his shit together, and we're all griping about the delays because the series itself IS so well put-together.

Jerk

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
I'm not entirely sure what having an English degree has to do with enjoying a fantasy novel. I do have one, and it hasn't really changed my taste of fantasy novels...even if everyone shits on them in the literary world.

Anyways, the reasons you listed are the exact reasons I like Abercrombie. It's a different take on familiar archetypes. However, he really shines once you get into the stories. I remember first reading Blade and thinking it wasn't that great. The second book is where it picks up and I had to get the third after finishing half of the second. After finishing the third, I immediately went to get Served Cold. Sorta the same stuff...starts slow and then really ramps it up. The only thing I didn't like about it was the identity of the assassin...

Anyways, back on topic

I still think Martin >>> Aber >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Roth

I do hope he gets his shit together, and we're all griping about the delays because the series itself IS so well put-together.

Hmm, I think a simple Martin > Aber will do (if we are comparing ASoIaF to the Law Trilogy).

I still like Aber more, but that is because he does an amazing job without getting too verbose.

tokkun

Zefah said:

I agree with this completely, which is why I compared him to Marvel superhero comics earlier. Even within the fantasy genre, I feel like his books lack a grounding in rules and a sense of scale, as he feels a continuous need to introduce new characters that are invincibly powerful. Probably the nicest thing I can say about the series is that it's very interesting to read about it on Wikipedia, much like I enjoy reading about the Marvel Cosmic characters, but after reading Deadhouse Gates, which many people told me was the best in the series, I've decided that this type of book is not for me.

Jerk 2.0 said:
Hmm, I think a simple Martin > Aber will do (if we are comparing ASoIaF to the Law Trilogy).

I still like Aber more, but that is because he does an amazing job without getting too verbose.

Agreed. You have to be realistic after all.

CrunchyB

Shouldn't we put this in the Erikson thread? I think there was one. Oh well...

Jerk 2.0 said:
I suggest you torch GotM and either start with Deadhouse gates (2nd book) or Midnight tides (sort of standalone so you need not have read any of the others).

Midnight Tides especially is probably his best work. It is here that you see why he is often compared with some of the greats in the genre.

GotM really is awful, I have no idea how I was able to finish it. Deadhouse Gates and Mignight Tides are both great books. Just way more tightly written.
The latter books are all over the place. Disliked some parts, loved others. Worth reading at least, Erikson comes up with a lot of neat stuff.

Zefah said:
I've only read about 100 pages into Erikson's first book (Gardens of the Moon), but my biggest problem with Erikson was juvenile it seemed.

True. It's less pronounced it the latter books, but every now and then there's some random COOL STUFF tangent that is resolved in a few hundred pages before continuing with one of the main storylines. Or sometimes a story is aborted with little to no explanation (you might get a callback in a few books though). And occasionally he completely mixes up his entire writing style! The guy is crazy!

Jerk

Banned
tokkun said:
I agree with this completely, which is why I compared him to Marvel superhero comics earlier. Even within the fantasy genre, I feel like his books lack a grounding in rules and a sense of scale, as he feels a continuous need to introduce new characters that are invincibly powerful. Probably the nicest thing I can say about the series is that it's very interesting to read about it on Wikipedia, much like I enjoy reading about the Marvel Cosmic characters, but after reading Deadhouse Gates, which many people told me was the best in the series, I've decided that this type of book is not for me.

Yeah, very much reminds me of reading a comic book. Erickson definately has some amazing moments, but you have to wade through a lot of crap to get there.

Still, whoever told you that DHG was the best did you a great dissevice. Perhaps they may have enjoyed it the best, but it was far from being the best written.

OT but since people are talking of it. The first illustration for The Blade Itself LE just got posted:

http://subterraneanpress.com/index....ration-for-joe-abercrombies-the-blade-itself/

Blade%20Itself%20Interior%20number%20one.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell is that image from? I can only think of the ruins of Aulcus in the Old Empire, but that's in the second book.

Dunno if it's been posted, but members of Westeros who attended the book reading/signing in SD had this to say:

At a book signing in San Diego, whilst teaching at Clarion, GRRM confirmed that ADWD has reached 1,400 pages in manuscript. He indicates that he was disappointed not to have finished the book before attending Clarion, but was not drawn on how close completion might me after his return home on the 11th.

from the Westeros forum too
He did mention that he had hoped to be finished with Dance by the time he got to San Diego. So he must be really close.

On one hand I'm like "wtf why even leave the house if you're almost done ahsahkrkre" but he had been scheduled to do this signing for ages. I really hope all the balls he's juggling don't cause him to finish the book a month or two after it could have been done, assuming he's really close to finishing it this month. Just a slight delay could be the difference between getting the book this holiday season and spring 2011

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Just wanted to pop in and suggest we start an all purpose Fantasy/Science Fiction thread, for discussing books. Would you guys be interested?

tokkun

velvet_nitemare said:
Dunno if it's been posted, but members of Westeros who attended the book reading/signing in SD had this to say:

In September 2005, he thought he would be done in one year. In March 2008, he thought he would be done in 3 months. Bottom line, it's not worth fixing your hopes on GRRMs expectations on when he will be finished.

CrunchyB

aidan said:
Just wanted to pop in and suggest we start an all purpose Fantasy/Science Fiction thread, for discussing books. Would you guys be interested?

Yeah, do it. That way we won't be bumping this thread all the time and give false hope to people expecting ADWD to be finished ;)

tokkun said:
In September 2005, he thought he would be done in one year. In March 2008, he thought he would be done in 3 months. Bottom line, it's not worth fixing your hopes on GRRMs expectations on when he will be finished.

True, but this time it sounds like he is just a few weeks away from finishing it.
So even if he's a factor 5-10 off as usual, it probably will be finished this year.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dresden said:
That Blade Itself cover makes it look like the Old Empire was more high-tech than I'd thought.

I do remember something about the buildings of ruined Aulcus being described as made from metal.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
CrunchyB said:
Yeah, do it. That way we won't be bumping this thread all the time and give false hope to people expecting ADWD to be finished ;)

I'm still going to be bumping this thread because I don't care about any of those other series and don't feel like wading through all the crap. Though if it keeps all that discussion out of this thread I'm all for it.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Brian Fellows said:
I'm still going to be bumping this thread because I don't care about any of those other series and don't feel like wading through all the crap. Though if it keeps all that discussion out of this thread I'm all for it.

That's the point. This thread can be clear of Abercrombie, Rothfuss, et al. The other thread can be general discussion. Everybody wins!

You should care about those other authors. There's a lot of good books out there.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
tokkun said:

but one day the broken clock is going to be right!

Wheel of time 13 and ASOIAF 6 in the same year would make me really happy ^.^

although the alternative would probably be Wheel of time 14 and ASOIAF 6... which is still good.

tokkun said:

Unless he does another round of massive rewrites, this is it. He has to be done at some point, so why not now? A 100 more pages and he's there, i prefer to be optimistic on this one.

tokkun

velvet_nitemare said:
Unless he does another round of massive rewrites, this is it. He has to be done at some point, so why not now? A 100 more pages and he's there, i prefer to be optimistic on this one.

It seems like all of his progress updates recently have been something like:

"I finished a chapter. Of course I previously had thought it was finished 3 times" or
"I finished a chapter, but now I have to go back and rewrite two chapters because of it".

And on top of that, none of us really know how far away he is from the finish. We know the total number of pages, but we don't know how much of the book is near final and how much he plans on changing.

Chris R

aidan said:
Cool. I'll start putting something together. Any requests for the OP?
I'd love to see several COMPLETE series, as well as great stand alone books. I loved being able to read through the entire Dark Tower series in like a month, and don't think I can stand another incomplete series like I'm doing with ASOIAF :(

tokkun said:
It seems like all of his progress updates recently have been something like:

"I finished a chapter. Of course I previously had thought it was finished 3 times" or
"I finished a chapter, but now I have to go back and rewrite two chapters because of it".

And on top of that, none of us really know how far away he is from the finish. We know the total number of pages, but we don't know how much of the book is near final and how much he plans on changing.

He's said before that he doesn't include unfinished chapters in MS page counts. So him being at 1400 means the book is almost as large as ASOS, and it's almost done. He's given hints about him being finished before, but it seems more believable now that we know how much work he has done. His comments on the gorilla on the July calender and his comments at Clarion suggest the wait is almost over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom