• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Flash Cart Now Shipping: Nintendo's nightmare coming true

big_z

I was doubtful about the gateway leading to anything but seeing how they figured out 5.x firmware and region locking it seems like this is the real beginning of piracy on 3ds. With Chinese card teams getting their hands on the card it will open the floodgates.

If piracy becomes a common thing like the ds then I hope it leads to Nintendo allowing steam like sales/pricing for the digital games. A lot of people are willing to pay to avoid piracy/firmware stuff if the price is right.

Oh god I won't have to worry about MH4 if Capcom decides to be themselfs about shit. I can just Import and rip! Please make this a reality

Online does not work with the gateway from what I've read. So it wouldn't be worth it.

dacuk

Thanks for killing the 3DS, guys...

Ok.....just to get a few things straghtened out about gateway 3DS...

1. It actually handles saves better than I though it would......uses a NAND on the cartridge and then when you do a home, close game it dumps the NAND to the 3DS SD Card as a .sav file. File is automatically reloaded when you re-launch the game.

2. To date Nintnendo has been slowwwww in pushing firmware updates on carts with 5.1 just hitting on the new Mario and Luigi game. I am sure they will step this up but there will always be a delay becuase of the catridge manufacturing cycle.

3. 3rd parties have done little to push udpates as I just got SMT 4 last week and it doesn't force an update....maybe Nintendo will get more stringent requiring 3rd parties to force updates.

4. It does not perm modify your firmware. It is sort of like HEN for a newer PSP. The DS code somehow modifies the DS funciton of the 3DS. This survives a power cycle but if you enter DS mode it gets flushed and must be rerun. The 3DS exploit sits on the 3DS SD card and when you go do the DS/Profile step it must cause a buffer overflow and load the 3DS exploit allowing the cartridge. That step will not survive a power cycle. So all you have to do is a power cycle, insert a DS game and luaunch it and and firmware mod has been flushed.

5. Somebody already found a way to downgrade the 3DS firmware with a very minor solder job and then captured an old firmware off a cart and forced flashed it to a 3DS. So we may soon see flasher kits (like progskeet for ps3) that simplify this process.

6. If this DS buffer overflow that allows them to launch a 3DS exploit gets explored (which it will) then this may lead to better things like a CFW, multigame menu, ability to run unsigned code (homebrew) or region de-lock. It may end up being like the ps3 where you have to have a system that was on 3.55 to be able to run newer CFW but imagine we get a CFW for 4.5 3DS that gives you new version, load games from internal SD and homebrew....that would be sweet.

7. Look at the history of this type stuff.....with well every system ever. At first it is clunky and not very smooth, but eventually it gets slick and easy and cheap. I thought this device was being done with hardware emulation of the catridge slot (like wiikey or xkey) but it turns out it is actually exploiting the catridge slot so they have in a minor way hacked the system.

I don't think at this point this is going to sink 3DS but it is foolish to just say it is crap and won't lead to better things.....that has not been the history of system modding. Meanwhile I am heading out to find a retail 3DS with 4.5 because my XL is already updated and even though I like the XL in some ways I liked the standard as much so just like ps3/x360 I see no harm in having two units.

You are quite the defender of Gateway, specially in GBATemp

I was doubtful about the gateway leading to anything but seeing how they figured out 5.x firmware and region locking it seems like this is the real beginning of piracy on 3ds. With Chinese card teams getting their hands on the card it will open the floodgates.

If piracy becomes a common thing like the ds then I hope it leads to Nintendo allowing steam like sales/pricing for the digital games. A lot of people are willing to pay to avoid piracy/firmware stuff if the price is right.

Online does not work with the gateway from what I've read. So it wouldn't be worth it.

That's not going to happen, this is Nintendo.

Aside of like 1%, everyone else is going to get a flashcard for piracy, I hate this shit.

Socreges

Banned
Is Supercard DSTwo now defunct for the latest 3DS update? I bought it to play the patched JPN FE DS (that I imported), but it seems like it won't work anymore on my updated system. And I can't see a DSTwo firmware out there that would get around this. Do I just have to wait or am I boned? Was told it would be future proof and that I didn't need to avoid updating my 3DS.

Fitrix

Neo Member
This card isn't going to be the device that blows the 3DS open, but it could be the catalyst that kick starts the entire process (if the exploit it uses can be explored further).

Probably.I wont be holding my breath though.

Alo81 said:
They don't need to buy multiple of the card, just multiple MicroSd cards. I mean, there are people now who just swap out the game cartridge whenever they wanna play a new game. They'd be doing essentially that except with MicroSd cards, and they're dirt cheap.

Just to clarify I meant the MicroSD card not the Gateway flashcart.

Yeah MicroSD might be cheap,but pirates dont want to spend too much money on playing games.Just buy a flashcart and play all the games for free.Buying multiple MicroSd cards kinda defeat the purpose of pirating.Might as well go legal if you are willing to go through such trouble IMHO.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yeah MicroSD might be cheap,but pirates dont want to spend too much money on playing games.Just buy a flashcart and play all the games for free.Buying multiple MicroSd cards kinda defeat the purpose of pirating.Might as well go legal if you are willing to go through such trouble IMHO.

Everyone has a different ratio of how they value their time compared to their money.

They'd be spending more money than free, but they'd also be spending much more than buying the games separately.

I mean, here's an 8gb MicroSd card.

That would mean for a person with a this flash cart, every game they want to buy and don't want to deal with EVER deleting or writing over can be owned for the low low cost of $6.26.

I get that for you it might be worth it to just go legal, but to say that "it isn't worth it" is a value judgement that each individual themselves would make and I'd bet that there are plenty of people who would be comfortable jumping through those hoops.

Fitrix

Neo Member
Everyone has a different ratio of how they value their time compared to their money.

They'd be spending more money than free, but they'd also be spending much more than buying the games separately.

I mean, here's an 8gb MicroSd card.

That would mean for a person with a this flash cart, every game they want to buy and don't want to deal with EVER deleting or writing over can be owned for the low low cost of $6.26.

I get that for you it might be worth it to just go legal, but to say that "it isn't worth it" is a value judgement that each individual themselves would make and I'd bet that there are plenty of people who would be comfortable jumping through those hoops.

Hmm you might be right then.

But I live in a magical place where 0.99 iOS game is still too expensive for these pirates,so you have to excuse my conclusion of pirates only want freebies,not low prices.

zychi

Banned
Id love for this to open up the ds mode of the 3ds. I still have my flash cart with my ripped ds games and would love to have an all digital ds (on one card) + digital eshop 3ds titles in one system. Thatd be awesome

dan2026

If this is true I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Region lock is so awful of Nintendo.

Agreed.

No way I'd touch a 3DS with a ten foot barge pole.

But give me region free and I'm sold!

Edit: Its so sad that 3rd parties have to make a device region free to cover for Nintendo's incompetence.
Why was region free not a given?

This is a "good" thing for Nintendo right?
People will buy more 3DS and they make a profit on the hardware.

And they will buy less games. The biggest margin is on the games, not the hardware. The odds of receiving TWEWY II (among other games) are even more slim if piracy arrives on the scene :(

wrowa

And they will buy less games. The biggest margin is on the games, not the hardware. The odds of receiving TWEWY II are even more slim if piracy arrives on the scene :(

DS games were pirated to hell and back but Nintendo still sold tons of games on it. I don't think they would suffer as much from it as some people like to think.

However, 3rd parties would likely become even more wary of the 3DS and it wouldn't surprise me if niche publishers would increasingly start to release their games on eShop only.

The region locking thing might lead to great news.
I obviously have no sympathy for piracy but if a side effect of these devices is to get rid of region locks, I'm all for it.
I'd advise agains buying anything right now. As these carts hit the market and are themselves blown open and copied, better products are bound to be developped over time.

Is Supercard DSTwo now defunct for the latest 3DS update? I bought it to play the patched JPN FE DS (that I imported), but it seems like it won't work anymore on my updated system. And I can't see a DSTwo firmware out there that would get around this. Do I just have to wait or am I boned? Was told it would be future proof and that I didn't need to avoid updating my 3DS.
Damn, I updated my 3DS last week and didn't even think about checking if the cart still worked. I got one with my 3DS just so I could still keep all my DS games in one place and for the GBA emulator but TBH, the 3DS has mostly been used to play 3DS games.
I guess we'll have to wait for an update.

Sendou

DS games were pirated to hell and back but Nintendo still sold tons of games on it. I don't think they would suffer as much from it as some people like to think.

However, 3rd parties would likely become even more wary of the 3DS and it wouldn't surprise me if niche publishers would increasingly start to release their games on eShop only.

Who knows how many DS games could have been sold if pirate hadn't existed on that platform? No way to know really. Still I wish people would stop making comparisions to DS. It was its own kind of monster and 3DS becoming potentially as pirated platform won't mean good for the future of the platform.

Dude I live in Europe.

I would have to be mad to buy a region locked gaming device.

Yet it seems like key 3DS titles this half of the year appear in Europe first. NA isn't even getting Bravely Default this year while Europe does.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Who knows how many DS games could have been sold if pirate hadn't existed on that platform? No way to know really. Still I wish people would stop making comparisions to DS. It was its own kind of monster and 3DS becoming potentially as pirated platform won't mean good for the future of the platform.

This is what people don't seem to grasp. This is an entirely different situation from the DS. This absolutely has potential to be crazy-damaging, which is really shitty.

At least it seems like there's no way around the 4.5 firmware restriction at the moment (besides some janky solder mod), so it'll likely take quite a long time before we start seeing China push out carts like crazy. Still, it scares me that an exploit like this was even found. I'm sure they'll keep prodding.

nasos_333

I just wish they gave me the option to play european games on my US 3DS

I am generally against modding my consoles, but i hate the region locking, epecially these days that i am travelling between US and Europe

It is funny how i am from Europe and will have to wait for Bravely Default because i have a US 3DS i got last year because of my work in US, it is very frustrating and we dont even have a date in 2014 for the release

antonz

DS game sales in regions such as Europe dropped to almost non existent levels once the DS was fully opened up. Plenty of places were selling to families "gamecards" with dozens of titles on them.

Region locking sucks but to think that is the primary motivator to 90% of the people who will be dealing with this stuff is a fucking joke.

Handheld market already has a limited enough development base and developers have already openly stated they will cease development of titles if the system is broke wide open. So there is nothing to gain from this except dwindling handheld software support.

Jac_Solar

Hasn't it been possible to play downloaded games on the 3DS for awhile, or was that just DS games, and this allows you to play 3DS games or something?

Sendou

Hasn't it been possible to play downloaded games on the 3DS for awhile, or was that just DS games, and this allows you to play 3DS games or something?

DS flashcards always worked. So they allowed you to play DS games and such. This is a 3DS flashcard that allows playing 3DS software.

That was solely DS games, because the DS part of the 3DS did not have that many additional security.

(You could also play 3DS games you downloaded legally from the eShop, but that is probably not what you meant.)

Fisico

Yet it seems like key 3DS titles this half of the year appear in Europe first. NA isn't even getting Bravely Default this year while Europe does.

Is it sure Europe get BD this year ?
There was this planning saying 2014, then the official jp Twitter account stating 2013 and finally Nintendo not even mentionning the game in their latest direct...

Sendou

As I do, but since Nintendo didn't care to talk about it, we still don't know for sure in which year we'll get the game

Nintendo didn't talk about games like Pokemon X/Y, Super Mario 3D World or Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze either.

I'd say it's a pretty lock on for 2013.

gngf123

Damn. I thought the Gateway would lead to region unlocking, but I didn't think it would be this fast.

I hoped it would take another year or two to allow for the library to build more, but at least it's possible to get around the region lock now.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
With many import titles like Senran Kagura, Project X-Zone, Layton vs. AA being announced for western markets, i hope these devices wont kill the just established market on the 3DS. So yes im all for ending region lock, but cant support flashcards when it means that publishers wont loaclize games even when there is a big userbase.

to all those interested in buying a flashcart for region free are better off buying a japanese 3DS as the resell value would be much more so you wont be saving any cash buying these expensive flashcarts. plus you can purchase from the japanese eshop. i mean if you are really serious about imports. i would gather that you may need to buy multiple version of these carts when.they suddenly dont work for most games

Nintendo should really just drop region locking already, at least for cartridge games. I guess it's understandable to keep the eShop region-specific since you can't make multiple user accounts ala PS3.
Actually, each country on the eShop has a separate wallet. You are unable to download things not available in your country though (for instance I have to switch my 3DS country back to Australia if I want to re-download Snapdots).

If anything it is almost like the eShop has caused the region lock. Imports were a niche activity* with games taking weeks to arrive then discovering Royal Mail have decided to "handle" the customs fee (import duty) for you to the tune of £8+the customs free (so a product that is about £22 has £12 of fees...add shipping to that too...). But the eShop does not take weeks to arrive and has no pesky import duty...

*-Outside of Mega franchises like Pokemon (which the worldwide launch negates the requirement...unless you imported the hardware and do not want the eShop release).

How did you do in the olden days?
There have been all kinds of ways to get round region locks. Boot discs, pass through cartridges.

With many import titles like Senran Kagura, Project X-Zone, Layton vs. AA being announced for western markets, i hope these devices wont kill the just established market on the 3DS. So yes im all for ending region lock, but cant support flashcards when it means that publishers wont loaclize games even when there is a big userbase.
Generally only the most hardcore players would import* and play those in Japanese. If your game is so niche that only they are interested in buying it then can you really argue lost sales? (as it just gets a boost in its home region instead)

It is nice for the games that get remembered but those which are forgotten are lost sales.

*-Important point this: An English Wii game called Xenoblade lead to huge outcry over having to import it because NOA couldn't be arsed to release it for 8 months (only they kept you in the dark for about 4 of those).

Top Bottom