• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 13 - 19 Mar

Cheebs

Probationsmack said:
Just because nintendo has a franchise doesnt mean they are necessarily going to use it, see kid icarus.
Kid Icarus is not a fair comparison. KI was never used past the NES/GB era and only had one game on each system. DK has been used EVERY gen on every system many many times. GBA alone had:

Mario vs. Donkey Kong
DK: King of Swing
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.

GB/GBC had:
Donkey Kong ('94)
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Land 2
Donkey Kong Land 3.

Nintendo handhelds are PACKED with DK games.

Deku said:
That's like saying the sky is blue. A successful console will have stronger sales as it matures in the market, not weaker or flat sales.
Those weeks of ~400K and ~600K were unprecedented. Being unprecedented, it's hard to say what follows it.

Deku

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Those weeks of ~400K and ~600K were unprecedented. Being unprecedented, it's hard to say what follows it.

You're looking at this week to week, I'm thinking 2006 as a whole :) It's true that the Lite probably artifically inflated sales as original owners probably went out and bought a second one. That said, had the Lite not come out, there would be no DS shortages and we might have ended up with the same sales numbers.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
How do you guys think a 2D DK DS would do? Hopefully Nintendo didn't fudge up the franchise with 3 music games and 1 short, unnecessary drum based platfomer.

It would be nice if Rare could work on it. If not the designers and programmers, then at least David Wise should be there to do the music. I was listening to the DKC series soundtrack, and they were absolutely beautiful. Would be nice to see him back again.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Oblivion said:
How do you guys think a 2D DK DS would do? Hopefully Nintendo didn't fudge up the franchise with 3 music games and 1 short, unnecessary drum based platfomer.

It would be nice if Rare could work on it. If not the designers and programmers, then at least David Wise should be there to do the music. I was listening to the DKC series soundtrack, and they were absolutely beautiful. Would be nice to see him back again.
Would the game be as ugly and shallow as DKC? If so I can see it being a best seller!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Archie said:
Would the game be as ugly and shallow as DKC? If so I can see it being a best seller!

Well, those grafix were supposed to be mondo cool at the time. But now it doesn't look so hot. Definitely didn't age too gracefully. Course, I'm mainly referring to the character models. The environments lok pretty good imo.

EDIT: Wait, what's all this hoo ha about DKC being shallow?

cvxfreak

Apparently Koei's Dynasty Warriors games are starting off slow. DW5 Empires started at less than half of the previous edition (either the Moushouden one or DW4 Empires). DW2 on PSP sold only several thousand on its first day, making Sinobi wonder if it'll reach 50K. Ace Combat Zero is also less than the previous game's levels.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
cvxfreak said:
Apparently Koei's Dynasty Warriors games are starting off slow. DW5 Empires started at less than half of the previous edition (either the Moushouden one or DW4 Empires). DW2 on PSP sold only several thousand on its first day, making Sinobi wonder if it'll reach 50K. Ace Combat Zero is also less than the previous game's levels.
[Monorojo]Third party games only sell on PSP, even if sales of big franchises such as DW, WE, Rockman, ... are as low as several thousand units.[/Monorojo]

ioi

Banned
Cool for Pokemon Ranger, although I was hoping for more like 300k levels for the week personally, looks like 200k+ is quite reasonable though.

Predictions I saw on a japanese website were around 200k for FF XII and Pokemon Ranger and about 150k for Ace Combat which seems about right.

Looking back to the DS vs GBA graph, you can see the boost that GBA had just after it's second xmas with the GBA SP and DS is likely to show even more of a boost. If it does do another 250k in March and 700k in April (DS Lite alone) and say DS stays on about 30k a week as well then that would put the DS on about 7.6m by the end of April with New Mario Bros / Tetris on their way carrying it into the summer...

ioi

Banned
cvxfreak said:
ioi, specifically where are the weekly hardware charts on your site?

Well the numbers themselves are on the bottom of the weekly / yearly software pages, but as I say only PS2/GBA/DS/PSP are up at the moment.

For example- http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japweekly.php?date=38795 at the bottom of the page, and similarly http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japyearly.php?year=2006

I'm gonna add some more pages soon with just the hardware and comparisons etc.

ioi

Banned
Oblivion said:
Pokemon Ranger? That just got released?

It did indeed and I was thinking it may be another million seller for the DS but may struggle a bit if it only did 100k first day, will have to see...

Have now got data for all hardware since PS2 up on Everything and Nothing- PS2/GBA/GC/XB/DS/PSP/X360. Software is still incomplete- especially for 1999-2003, but 96-98 is pretty complete as is 2004-2006 bar a few games that need to be added. So PS2 and GBA software totals are far too low at the moment (N64/DC/PS need quite a few more games adding as well), but it's starting to build up a prety good picture now...

Rock_Man

ioi said:
It did indeed and I was thinking it may be another million seller for the DS but may struggle a bit if it only did 100k first day, will have to see...

Have now got data for all hardware since PS2 up on Everything and Nothing- PS2/GBA/GC/XB/DS/PSP/X360. Software is still incomplete- especially for 1999-2003, but 96-98 is pretty complete as is 2004-2006 bar a few games that need to be added. So PS2 and GBA software totals are far too low at the moment (N64/DC/PS need quite a few more games adding as well), but it's starting to build up a prety good picture now...

Thank you.
PSP SW totals are far too low as well. It was reported to be 5,537,000 at the end of January...

ioi

Banned
A Link to the Past said:
Hey, 100k on day one ain't bad. Mysterious Dungeon probably didn't do all that much better.

I think Ranger has started better than either one of the Mysterious Dungeon games did (although it is tempting in some ways to add the two titles together since I'd assume most people would buy one or the other) and the other difference is that the MD games had a nice xmas period coming up to boost sales which Ranger won't have... we'll have to see though could be a much stronger start than we're expecting.

And yeah, PSP data is also incomplete at the moment, give me a few weeks :D

If this managed >100K in its first day, what would it end up at the end of the week? Maybe 150K?

I think that's a better start than a single Fushigi Dungeon game. But I don't see Rangers doing better than their LTD combined.

ioi

Banned
Magicpaint said:
If this managed >100K in its first day, what would it end up at the end of the week? Maybe 150K?

I think that's a better start than a single Fushigi Dungeon game. But I don't see Rangers doing better than their LTD combined.

I'd say around 200k yeah, which is bigger than a single Dungeon game but less than the two combined, and I think a struggle for a game at this time of year to hit 1m on a 200k first week, even though it will probably have decent legs.

NWO

kia said:
[Monorojo]Third party games only sell on PSP, even if sales of big franchises such as DW, WE, Rockman, ... are as low as several thousand units.[/Monorojo]

Those couple thousands of sales probably doubled the average 3rd party sales in Japan so he's probably wetting himself in glee.

neo2046

Unofficial
Media Create Sales: 20 - 26 Mar

FF12 - 240,000
Pokemon Ranger - 190,000
Tengai X360 - 3,000
Musou 4 Empire PS2 - 50,000
Musou 4 Empire 360 - 3,000
Musou PSP - 14,000
Musou Mahjong - 4,000
Shana - 16,000
Yggdra Union - 15,000
Cooking Mama - 2,000
Under Defeat (DC) - 10,000

DSL 120,000
NDS 39,000
PS2 34,000
PSP 31,000

Lol @ Cooking Mama. Didn't expect it to bomb so hard.

Pokemon Ranger's start is fine, better than the 150K I expected to see. Of course, this is assuming that these numbers are accurate.

Looks like FFXII might stall at 2.4m indeed.

neo2046 said:
Unofficial

FF12 - 240,000
Pokemon Ranger - 190,000
Tengai X360 - 3,000
Musou PSP - 14,000
Musou Mahjong - 4,000
Shana - 16,000
Yggdra Union - 15,000
Cooking Mama - 2,000

DSL 120,000
NDS 39,000
PS2 34,000
PSP 31,000

Cooking Mama...lol. Not all non games are equal I suppose.

Pokemon Ranger...huh? Is this the movie tie in or something?

If the numbers are true...Mana :(

The regular DS is still outselling the competition lol.

fresquito

neo2046 said:
Unofficial

FF12 - 240,000
Pokemon Ranger - 190,000
Tengai X360 - 3,000
Musou PSP - 14,000
Musou Mahjong - 4,000
Shana - 16,000
Yggdra Union - 15,000
Cooking Mama - 2,000

DSL 120,000
NDS 39,000
PS2 34,000
PSP 31,000

Cooking Mama bombed pretty hard. Concept seemed right for the DS audience in japan. What happened there? bad advertising?

More than 150k consoles in late march during a not-launch period is impressive. If the numbers prove to be correct, this is insane.

Cheebs

Magicpaint said:
Looks like FFXII might stall at 2.4m indeed.
Thats fairly easy to expect.

I have no doubt AC:WW will outsell it. Who was the one here who said he would leave GAF if AC:WW outsells FFXII in the long run?

lancubap

neo2046 said:
Unofficial

FF12 - 240,000
Pokemon Ranger - 190,000
Tengai X360 - 3,000
Musou PSP - 14,000
Musou Mahjong - 4,000
Shana - 16,000
Yggdra Union - 15,000
Cooking Mama - 2,000

DSL 120,000
NDS 39,000
PS2 34,000
PSP 31,000

DS Total Estimate: 159k ? Insane, absolutely insane !

Good Start for Pokémon Ranger and bad start for Cooking Mama, but Famitsu has not gave him a good note and it is really.........particular, like Electroplankton.
Not all innovations become million-seller like Brain Training, Nintendogs or Animal Crossing.

ioi

Banned
200k for Ranger as expected, a tad lower than I was hoping for but still solid. Should with decent legs do 700-800k maybe in the long run.

240k for FF XII is decent, a tad higher than I was thinking so may slightly outdo FFX's original release, 2.5m looks about right at the moment though.

2k for Cooking Mama? Wow, I thought it would at least be a mediocre hit.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
160k DS's sold, plus, ya know, the millions on store shelves, and only 2k people picked up that damn cooking game?

I smell something funny

Im guessing sting wouldve been better off reworking yggdra union for ds. GBA is dead in japan.

And taito tries but fails yet again. That makes lost magic, exit, and cooking mama all commercial failures. Doesnt squareenix own taito now? Are they giving taito games adequate advertising?

Akia

lancubap said:
DS Total Estimate: 159k ? Insane, absolutely insane !

Good Start for Pokémon Ranger and bad start for Cooking Mama, but Famitsu has not gave him a good note and it is really.........particular, like Electroplankton.
Not all innovations become million-seller like Brain Training, Nintendogs or Animal Crossing.
WOW JUST WOW.

Is this the most misused word ever?

Top Bottom