• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2017 (Mar 13 - Mar 19)

Eolz

Do we expect any bump for FF15 due to the DLC releasing this week?

It's not really a substantial one is it? I could see something happening a bit when there's their character creator, and when they'll do some goty edition equivalent, but outside of that...

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Don't think so. The game is down 2,500yen already, and this is from last week. Next week, FFXV will be down 2,000yen.

There are still ~100k unsold copies of FFXV out there. Things will become even worse.

As for Switch Nintendo looks to have improved a bit shipments in Japan. They are still small more but there are more often restocks. After Golden Week things should be normal (if supply for MK8DX and holidays is big).

As for Switch Nintendo looks to have improved a bit shipments in Japan. They are still small more but there are more often restocks. After Golden Week things should be normal (if supply for MK8DX and holidays is big).

It's looking like that is the case world wide. The anecdotal evidence from the Switch stock thread seems to be that many stores are getting small shipments a few times a week now.

America could have a pretty substantial first month total at this point, like 750k.

I expect stock to be more readily available before Mario Kart, but it may become temporarily constrained again over the Golden Week period in Japan. Then it should be fine until Splatoon.

Ōkami

Deux Ex not even on this week's PSN rankings.

Really wonder how come SE decided to localize it in the end, the last game bombed too, and they didn't cheaped out on the localization either.

Not even Tomb Raider did well, localizing Eidos' stuff seems like a waste.

It is a worse case. As Nintendo handheld advertised it shouldn't get that third party treatment right now.

It's absolutely not, and you're being ridiculous right now. Every recent launch in Japan has been like this. It took the PS4 years to get almost anything of note on the system.

Even for the 3DS, there will still notable DS games launching during that same time frame and later. Japanese third parties take their sweet time to support new systems.

mugwhump

Good show by Switch!

I think Nintendo must be shipping about 150 K consoles per week worldwide.

50K Japan
50K US
50K Europe and other

Also holy fuck at MHXX... but yet again, why did we need this game? They would be much better off trying MH5 Switch or something
Iirc the Foxconn leak said 20k a day, which matches that just about perfectly.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
There are still ~100k unsold copies of FFXV out there. Things will become even worse.

Oh wow, totally didn't realize 100K copies were still out there.... I figured it had made a good dent on the remainder of the 1st shipment after selling that 3-4K each week this past 5-6 weeks. Eek...

casiopao

Another Media Create thread became what was expected.

At least Switch started strong otherwise things would even even worse.

You should have been more or less be used to this though Chris.^^ Every console launch is like this. And i don't think we are going to see any difference even far in the future lol.^^

I know this was intended as a joke about the current state of MC's discussions, but I wanted to restate that, as you've already said in the past, if sales are good overall, third parties will come as time goes on. It happened with the DS, it happened with PSP, it partially happened with Wii as well (unfortunately other factors influenced negatively its support potential - nope, not merely talking about the graphical power here) ...and if Switch sales keep on being good / strong, Japanese third party developers won't be that hesitant in bringing content to it.

I would say western sales has more influence on 3rd party desecions at this point. There is a reason the PS4 is the platform with best 3rd party support despite average sales in Japan.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Considering how long had passed since a new GT,i think even a paid demo would be welcomed by many GT fans in japan right?O_O

There are still GT fans in Japan? Like FF, there was denial franchise was at steady decline until GT5 finally came out, things won't improve for sales on PS4.

casiopao

There are still GT fans in Japan? Like FF, there was denial franchise was at steady decline until GT5 finally came out, things won't improve for sales on PS4.

While i agree that it will probably had another harsh drop like FF or RE7(This is due to Capcom own mistake though.) I feel doing 300k should not be hard to do there.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I would say western sales has more influence on 3rd party desecions at this point. There is a reason the PS4 is the platform with best 3rd party support despite average sales in Japan.

Certainly, PS4 was a bit different, since it had terrible hardware sales in Japan the first year, the complete opposite of what went down in the West, and third parties still decided to support it. But certainly not every franchise in Japan is niche enough it can keep on living on smaller userbases, or it can "ignore" the Japanese situation by thinking that Western sales can be the cure of everything (brands like MH and DQ, Ace Attorney, anime adaptations of different kinds, etc. ), so I still stand by what I said.

Moreover, right now Switch is doing well / very well in the West as well, so we're not speaking of a Japanese-exclusive trend :p

Just noticed Oregano was banned. Wait what. I suppose it happened as a cumulative of all the times he kept hammering too much his/her own "gimmick", didn't it?

casiopao

Considering how many big mistakes they did this gen, it is not surprising to see the close down here. I wonder how many small developer nowadays in japan would just prefer to stay kinda indies with small number of devs rather than go medium size like Dingo here.

On the other hand, the next MC thread is going to slow lol. With Oregano gone.^^

Jacobson

Just noticed Oregano was banned. Wait what. I suppose it happened as a cumulative of all the times he kept hammering too much his/her own "gimmick", didn't it?

Probably got banned from the Kamiko thread lol.

On-topic, how long till the new numbers release? around 5 hours?

duckroll

So Switch is still behind the WiiU launch. What a failure eh? Not looking good for Nintendo. Anyone else thinks Xenoblade 2 might go multiplatform? Am I the only one who sees Mario Odyssey on the Scorpio too?

Mario007

So Switch is still behind the WiiU launch. What a failure eh? Not looking good for Nintendo. Anyone else thinks Xenoblade 2 might go multiplatform? Am I the only one who sees Mario Odyssey on the Scorpio too?
Look at the bright side, at least the next Zelda will finally be full HD at least
on PS4 and Xbox One.

Mory Dunz

can't wait for amiibos to go multiplat.

Imagine what NFC Mario can do on a powerful console. So many 1-ups

Fisico

Monolith will finally be able to ditch the Switch that hinders their creative process and go full out by making Xenoblade 2 a PS4 Pro exclusive so we can finally enjoy our glorious
anime sword-waifu
grass plains in 4K 30fps, can you imagine how crazy that would look downsampled with remote play on PSVita? Switch handheld mode is nowhere near that.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
So, at least 60k Switch. Splatoon thirst is real.

If Splatoon thirst is real it will show after Golden Week when sales slow down, now it's a problem of supply.

Wii shortage lasted until Golden Week 2007 too.

edit: Nope, misremembered, until Obon 2007.

Another company releases a game NOT on the Switch. And the entire Media Create Sales thread is shocked, wasn't the Wii U Switch supposed to dominate Japan?

Switch was never going to dominate third party support.

It was a rhetorical question but since you replied, I'm going to have some fun with this.

PS4 launch lineup (Japanese only):

Dream C Club: Host Girls on Stage
Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
Knack
Nikoli no Puzzle 4: Sudoku
Nobunaga no Yabou: Souzou
Onigiri
Yakuza Restoration
Tottemo E Mahjong Plus

Truly a memorable selection of Japanese video games.

It seems you still couldn't google correctly.

The system literally came out a few weeks ago. 3DS didn't get much in the way of notable games until its first holiday season when Mario and Monster Hunter came out. You're jumping the gun.

HD games take time to make so I don't know why you're expecting so much so soon.

This notion that devs are just discovering the Switch after its release is truly worrying. Devs start developing games for consoles long before they launch, that is how much of the first and 2 year games are from. The relative lack of support for the Switch is clearly an issue.

What console sold the most in its first year? PS2? GBA?

MK8 is an enhanced port though, not an original game. What is this new GT about?

I NEVER said that lmfao.

I distinctly remember it in one of threads leading up to FFXV launch or after it. Its okay Sammy, we all make bad decisions.

Fisico

Trying to make a funny comment too but.....hope Xenoblade 2 sell like hotcake Lol

Well it seems they're trying to attract a new audience by going full (young) shonen, so it might help if the buyers of previous titles remain (and they should mostly), though one can wonder if the young audience they're trying to attract will be there by the time the game is released and if it's this year that seems highly doubtful.

As Duckroll stated years ago Nintendo don't really know how to deal and sell titles like Xenoblade X so if they manage this transition it might work... maybe.

L~A

Well, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will be released on a console people actually want (unlike XCX), and earlier in the lifecycle of its console (unlike XC), so there's that at least. However, not expecting anything substantially better than XC and XCX, at least for now. If the Switch gets more RPGs (besides DQXI), that will be a different story.

Nintendo finally released a demo version for Miitopia today (as in, actual playable demo with transfer to full version, not just a preview version), most likely due to the upcoming western release (not announced yet, but I assume it's a matter of weeks, if not days).

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/d708df1a-1355-11e7-8f53-063b7ac45a6d.html

Mpl90

It seems you still couldn't google correctly.

?
Since I assume he was speaking of Japanese third party launch offerings, that's correct.

Famitsu Sales: Week 8, 2014 (Feb 17 - Feb 23)

01./00. [PS4] Knack # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥4.900) - 322.083 / NEW <87,10%>
03./00. [PS4] Yakuza: Ishin! <ADV> (Sega) {2014.02.22} (¥8.190) - 73.086 / NEW <63,40%>
07./00. [PS4] Battlefield 4 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.300) - 26.878 / NEW <74,70%>
08./00. [PS4] Killzone: Shadow Fall <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥6.900) - 25.978 / NEW <65,20%>
11./00. [PS4] Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends <Dynasty Warriors 8 \ Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends> <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.02.22} (¥7.800) - 13.576 / NEW <63,80%>
12./00. [PS4] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2014.02.22} (¥8.400) - 12.885 / NEW <72,70%>
14./00. [PS4] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.02.22} (¥7.600) - 11.775 / NEW <49,20%>
16./00. [PS4] Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition <ADV> (Square Enix) {2014.02.22} (¥4.571) - 10.576 / NEW <77,10%>
17./00. [PS4] FIFA 14 # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.300) - 9.780 / NEW <70,40%>
23./00. [PS4] Need for Speed: Rivals <RCE> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.300) - 6.224 / NEW <62,50%>
36./00. [PS4] Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.02.22} (¥8.800) - 3.903 / NEW <42,70%>
43./00. [PS4] NBA 2K14 <SPT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2014.02.22} (¥5.800) - 2.463 / NEW <31,80%>

00./00. [PS4] Software Sales 2014 <ALL> (All Publishers) {2014.02.22} (¥0) - 519.207 / NEW <161,20%>
___

[PS4] Yakuza: Ishin! (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Sega) {2014.02.22} (¥8.190)
[PS4] Battlefield 4 (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥6.300)
[PS4] Killzone: Shadow Fall (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥5.900)
[PS4] Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends <Dynasty Warriors 8 \ Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends> (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.02.22} (¥6.762)
[PS4] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2014.02.22} (¥7.500)
[PS4] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Dubbed Edition (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.02.22} (¥7.600)
[PS4] Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Square Enix) {2014.02.22} (¥4.571)
[PS4] FIFA 14 (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥6.300)
[PS4] Need for Speed: Rivals (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RCE> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥6.300)
[PS4] Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.02.22} (¥8.800)
[PS4] NBA 2K14 (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SPT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2014.02.22} (¥5.800)
[PS4] Escape Plan _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <PZL> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥1.500)
[PS4] Resogun _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <STG> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥1.400)
[PS4] Sound Shape _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥1.200)
[PS4] Doki-Doki Universe _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ETC> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥900)
[PS4] Flow _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ETC> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥800)
[PS4] Flowery _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ETC> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥800)
[PS4] Strider _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.02.22} (¥1.905)
[PS4] Contrast _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <PZL> (Compulsion Games) {2014.02.22} (¥1.462)
[PS4] Don't Starve: Console Edition _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Klei Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥1.462)
[PS4] Tottemo E Mahjong Plus _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <TBL> (Arc System Works) {2014.02.22} (¥1.429)
[PS4] Nikoli no Puzzle 4: Sudoku _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <PZL> (Hamster) {2014.02.22} (¥476)
[PS4] Dream C Club: Host Girls on Stage _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (D3Publisher) {2014.02.22} (¥0)
[PS4] Warframe _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Digital Extremes) {2014.02.22} (¥0)

HARDWARE
[PS4] PlayStation 4 <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥39.980)
[PS4] PlayStation 4 with PlayStation Camera <H-W> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥43.980)
[PS4] Knack (1)(PlayStation 4 Limited Pack) <BUN> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥39.980)
[PS4] Knack (2)(PlayStation 4 Limited Pack with PlayStation Camera) <BUN> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.02.22} (¥43.980)
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
| PS4 # |    322.083 |            |            |    322.083 |            |     322.083 |

Remove the content from Western publishers/developers, and you get the actual Japanese launch support for PS4.

Mario007

?
Since I assume he was speaking of Japanese third party launch offerings, that's correct.

Remove the content from Western publishers/developers, and you get the actual Japanese launch support for PS4.
Yay, Switch and the PS4 have the amount of japanese support, that's certainly a great victory for the next Nintendo handheld.

Actually scratch that having a cross gen Yakuza for launch was actually bigger than any 3rd party game announced for the Switch yet.

Mpl90

Yay, Switch and the PS4 have the amount of japanese support, that's certainly a great victory for the next Nintendo handheld.

Actually scratch that having a cross gen Yakuza for launch was actually bigger than any 3rd party game announced for the Switch yet.

As noticed by others, Japanese developers are quite risk-averse, and tend to be slow to adopt to brand new platforms. This happened with the 3DS as well, the successor to the almighty DS, even if not as much as for the most recent platforms (including Wii U and PS4), both quantity-wise and quality-wise. It should be noticed that the 3DS was also the last platform to come on the market without a digital storefront from the beginning, and digital storefronts weren't as common as they are now generally speaking (even in Japan); this means there are several 3DS game that, years later, would've been digital-only games, thus not included in the several comparisons I made on the matter.

Orgen

Some of you are going to be on a wall of shame with these kind of comments :p Switch for now is having more or less the same number (not discussing quality or importance) of third party games in Japan as any other system launched there. Even the 3DS carrying the legacy of the DS (the most succesful system for third party games since the PS2) didn't have so many third party games launched at the beginning.

New numbers in less than 2 hours so we can leave this tired "Switch has no third party games" and "Monster Hunter PS4" discussions behind.

What are the expectations for MHXX second week? Could it sell 1.5 million before FY end? How probably would be for Capcom to make a big shipment before 1st of April to make the shipment numbers look good for the investors?

Shahed

Well if the next Monster Hunter is Switch/PS4 and I suppose PC also for the West, in theory the Monster Hunter squabbling should be gone for good. As someone who doesn't particularly care about the game, going multiplatform would be ideal if only to stop the unnecessary pettiness. The sooner Capcom announce it, the better

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I want Next Monster Hunter for Xbox One only just for the lols

hiska-kun

Monday 20th was a national holiday, and also students finished the academic year and are now in Spring vacations.
Students will start the new Academic Year on April 3rd.

Usual "leggy" games should benefit this two weeks of break. Big drops should be expected from April 3rd, and the slowest period of the year will begin.

LordKano

...Dragon Quest XI ?

L~A

Wasn't one of the worst weeks on record last year (or was it 2015?). Hopefully this year will have no such week, but yeah, most of April will not be pretty.

Oh, and in case some EU folks are wondering: new data now out at 2PM BST / 3PM CEST due to DST.

Top Bottom