• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2017 (Mar 13 - Mar 19)

jonno394

Actually, we don't know yet if it's only PS4. Not on Vita for sure, but if the leak comes from Dengeki PlayStation, it could still be on Switch as well, but of course DPS won't tell you that (something similar happened with Kamen Rider: Battride Wars II: announced on Dengeki PS for PS3, then it was revealed it was coming to Wii U too).

seems like the sort of game that would do better on the go considering the success the likes of Minecraft on Vita has found in Japan.

Oregano

Let's hope so. I know they only seem interested in western money these days but it would be completely bone-headed to make this a PS4-only title.

I mean there's not many options going forward and it remains to be seen whether Switch will be meaningful contributor so PS4-only titles are something of an inevitability.

I mean there's not many options going forward and it remains to be seen whether Switch will be meaningful contributor so PS4-only titles are something of an inevitability.

Lol. Not many options going forward, so make sure you pick the worst possible one!

(We're also not really talking about "going forward" since it'll be releasing this year too. Heck, shrink it down and make it their first 3DS game if they don't want to make it for Vita/Switch, but not this. I'm still waiting for some sales numbers for Birthdays: The Beginning after all).

cheesekao

Lol. Not many options going forward, so make sure you pick the worst possible one!

(We're also not really talking about "going forward" since it'll be releasing this year too. Heck, shrink it down and make it their first 3DS game if they don't want to make it for Vita/Switch, but not this. I'm still waiting for some sales numbers for Birthdays: The Beginning after all).
Where's that xbox looking from outside the window picture when you need it.

casiopao

Let's hope so. I know they only seem interested in western money these days but it would be completely bone-headed to make this a PS4-only title.

I don't think it is a strange thing there. I mean, Birthdays by Harvest Moon creator is still PS exclusive right? Even when Switch had launched.

Oregano

Maybe but they have to balance it against their creative desires too. They don't want to be making 3DS games and the concept might not even be feasible at that level.

That's also why stuff like Sen No Kiseki is going PS4 exclusive.

Maybe but they have to balance it against their creative desires too. They don't want to be making 3DS games and the concept might not even be feasible at that level.

That's also why stuff like Sen No Kiseki is going PS4 exclusive.

I won't echo my thoughts about that SnK decision. But at least that has a little basis in your "creative desires" quote. I fail to see any reason what we've seen of NIS' Minecraft would be crippled by tech.

Oregano

I won't echo my thoughts about that SnK decision. But at least that has a little basis in your "creative desires" quote. I fail to see any reason what we've seen of NIS' Minecraft would be crippled by tech.

*shrugs* I only watched the teaser but maybe it has too much of an emphasis on environmental destruction.

Another company releases a game NOT on the Switch. And the entire Media Create Sales thread is shocked, wasn't the Wii U Switch supposed to dominate Japan?

jonno394

Another company releases a game NOT on the Switch. And the entire Media Create Sales thread is shocked, wasn't the Wii U Switch supposed to dominate Japan?

IIRC it took a long time before big support and regular releases happened in Japan for the likes of the PS4 too.

There were way more releases for the PS4 in the first 6 months than what is for the Switch announced, so either it gets some surprise announcements soon or the release list is indeed lackluster.

KtSlime

Developers have known about the Switch for less than a year. All these announcements that are happening were likely planned before the Switch even had a launch date. Japanese developer teams are often heavily controlled by the execs and penny pinchers in the company and are unable to make rash decisions like porting the game they have been developing for the past year or two to a new platform.

This is how it has been for a very long time, and this is how software companies react to any new hardware in Japan.

Kyoufu

There were way more releases for the PS4 in the first 6 months than what is for the Switch announced, so either it gets some surprise announcements soon or the release list is indeed lackluster.

Why can't I remember any Japanese games in the first 6 months of PS4's life in Japan?

KtSlime

Why can't I remember any Japanese games in the first 6 months of PS4's life in Japan?

The games he is talking about must be Nobunaga, and Three Kingdoms... (these sound familiar for some reason) Which came out at the launch. Oh, there was also Yakuza, pretty much everything else was a western game, which shouldn't have to be explained do not count as Japanese Developer releases...

Kyoufu

Because you can't even google PS4 launch lineup Japan for example.

It was a rhetorical question but since you replied, I'm going to have some fun with this.

PS4 launch lineup (Japanese only):

Dream C Club: Host Girls on Stage
Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
Knack
Nikoli no Puzzle 4: Sudoku
Nobunaga no Yabou: Souzou
Onigiri
Yakuza Restoration
Tottemo E Mahjong Plus

Truly a memorable selection of Japanese video games.

KtSlime

It was a rhetorical question but since you replied, I'm going to have some fun with this.

Knack
Onigiri
Yakuza Restoration
Tottemo E Mahjong Plus

Not only are they memorable, but this list of 8 games is way more than the Switch's 20 Japanese developed games released at launch.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
In the other thread I made comprehensive posts on this matter, can't link to them since I'm on mobile.

Knack
Onigiri
Yakuza Restoration
Tottemo E Mahjong Plus

So we are goalpost moving from no Japanese title at all to not "memorable".

Kyoufu

So we are goalpost moving from no Japanese title at all to not "memorable".

You clearly missed the joke. "Why can't I remember..." because it was a shit-tier launch. PS4's Japanese support wasn't worth a damn until 12 months later with the first wave of notable Japanese software, starting with Dragon Quest Heroes.

Mpl90 already showed what titles released on each platform early on: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232377953&postcount=670

And yes, the PS4 had horrible Japanese support its first year. There's a reason it was trailing even the Wii U in Japan in hardware sales for quite some time.

I think by the end of December this year the Switch has comfortably more 3rd party releases than the PS4 did in a similar time frame in Japan and they will comfortably outsell what the PS4 titles did.

Edit: Someone posted a link to their Japanese sales archive website either in this thread or in last weeks Media Create thread that I can't find anymore. Anyone know which one I'm talking about? I want to bookmark it for future reference.

Calm Mind

Knack
Onigiri
Yakuza Restoration
Tottemo E Mahjong Plus

PS4's first year was truly amazing. Truly.

You clearly missed the joke. "Why can't I remember..." because it was a shit-tier launch. PS4's Japanese support wasn't worth a damn until 12 months later with the first wave of notable Japanese software, starting with Dragon Quest Heroes.

Post wasn't about the incredible lineup of the PS4 (which also got more games than the WiiU) but that the Switch suffers a situation which can only be described as luckluster.

Kyoufu

Post wasn't about the incredible lineup of the PS4 (which also got more games than the WiiU) but that the Switch suffers a situation which can only be described as luckluster.

Switch is going through what most platforms go through in their first year on the market. It's nothing new or unexpected.

Shizuka

Is anyone pressed that the new NIS game is for the PS4? Just wait a couple of years and you'll get your full-priced Switch release with all DLC from NIS.

Mpl90

Mpl90 already showed what titles released on each platform early on: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232377953&postcount=670

And yes, the PS4 had horrible Japanese support its first year. There's a reason it was trailing even the Wii U in Japan in hardware sales for quite some time.

Actually, I made an update of that post, including also the total of releases for each console, in the last thread, since I didn't include some games.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232713155&postcount=682

Also, here's a third comparison criteria I added, i.e. Japanese games sales in the first years of the different platforms

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232681377&postcount=642

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Actually, I made an update of that post, including also the total of releases for each console, in the last thread, since I didn't include some games.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232713155&postcount=682

Also, here's a third comparison criteria I added, i.e. Japanese games sales in the first years of the different platforms

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232681377&postcount=642

Oh whoops, didn't realize I linked to the earlier version of the post. Thanks.

Kyoufu

It is a worse case. As Nintendo handheld advertised it shouldn't get that third party treatment right now.

The system literally came out a few weeks ago. 3DS didn't get much in the way of notable games until its first holiday season when Mario and Monster Hunter came out. You're jumping the gun.

HD games take time to make so I don't know why you're expecting so much so soon.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Another Media Create thread became what was expected.

At least Switch started strong otherwise things would even even worse.

Mpl90

Another Media Create thread became what was expected.

At least Switch started strong otherwise things would even even worse.

I know this was intended as a joke about the current state of MC's discussions, but I wanted to restate that, as you've already said in the past, if sales are good overall, third parties will come as time goes on. It happened with the DS, it happened with PSP, it partially happened with Wii as well (unfortunately other factors influenced negatively its support potential - nope, not merely talking about the graphical power here) ...and if Switch sales keep on being good / strong, Japanese third party developers won't be that hesitant in bringing content to it.

Vena

PdotMichael just showed he doesn't even follow the Media Create threads to make his arguments consistent. Poor Mpl90 being ignored.

Who?

I know this was intended as a joke about the current state of MC's discussions, but I wanted to restate that, as you've already said in the past, if sales are good overall, third parties will come as time goes on. It happened with the DS, it happened with PSP, it partially happened with Wii as well (unfortunately other factors influenced negatively its support potential - nope, not merely talking about the graphical power here) ...and if Switch sales keep on being good / strong, Japanese third party developers won't be that hesitant in bringing content to it.

~~woooosh~~~

Must be the wind.

Dat yakuza isshin though. Best game in the series

horuhe

Do we expect any bump for FF15 due to the DLC releasing this week?

Don't think so. The game is down 2,500yen already, and this is from last week. Next week, FFXV will be down 2,000yen.
ezcV5CC.jpg

Top Bottom