• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

miyuru

A Link to the Snitch said:
...This is an awesome update, man. It's the first known use for coins in Brawl, a new mode, a new ONLINE mode, and a new way to get stickers.

I think you're exaggerating, I mean, yes it's all that, but it's only spectating all the same.

RagnarokX

Finally a good update :D This will be a lot of fun.

I wish you could spectate friend matches though. It would make tournaments a lot more fun.

justchris

Well crap, I was wrong again, but I don't feel bad. Spectator mode is a nice addition (although I wish you could pick specific matches, not just everyone watching the same match).

Although, the way it's worded, does it mean that if you choose to broadcast your matches, it'll be broadcasting local matches between you and your friends sometimes as well? That would actually be pretty cool if true.

Branduil

I can't believe how much you guys complain about this. He doesn't have to give us any of this info like this and yet you guys still complain constantly.

miyuru said:
I think you're exaggerating, I mean, yes it's all that, but it's only spectating all the same.

There's never been an option to sit back, relax, and watch people Smash unless you have people over or you're using Youtube (and that's usually just to see cool tricks).

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Okay, despite the fact that I cannot, for whatever reason, load the site or pictures, this is a pretty cool update nonetheless.

For those of you who want to cooperate with our data collection for Spectator mode, set Allow Spectators to Yes in your Wi-Fi Options. This will result in your play data occasionally being sent to Nintendo.

This intrigues me. What kind of data might Nintendo collect? Might it factor into an online leaderboard, perhaps?

Insaniac

Keru_Shiri said:
I was hoping for this actually. I wonder what other prizes they'll give out.

update said something about handing out stickers left and right. Special edition sticker collecting in SSBB?

Mudhoney

I'm guessing this stuff isn't broadcasted live to those watching. It probably does a normal replay save (probably longer than the normal 3 minute limit) and sends it to Nintendo for others to watch shortly after. This makes perfect sense since it would solve any latency issues it could have caused, and let you start watching match after match without a hitch. The down side of course, if this is true then live viewing of a friend's battle would be out of the question. It would be amazing if they went further with this and had voting for how good a match is, and let players browse the highest rated replays.

Kelsonk

"So, for this game, I’ve prepared a new kind of mode. It’s called Spectator, and you’ll find it in the With Anyone menu. If I had to describe it in a word, it’s "watching!""

I'm "watching" my hype for this game go down drastically. Perhaps Sakurai should "spectate" this and make the appropriate changes.

Kelsonk said:
"So, for this game, I’ve prepared a new kind of mode. It’s called Spectator, and you’ll find it in the With Anyone menu. If I had to describe it in a word, it’s "watching!""

I'm "watching" my hype for this game go down drastically. Perhaps Sakurai should "spectate" this and make the appropriate changes.

I can't tell if that's sarcasm or dumb

Dreavus

this update is pretty neat, I like the gambling part! :lol

Jiggy37 said:
Oh, are we listing the last time a series was updated? :D Cool.

F-Zero - 1 update total, most recent July 2nd, Samurai Goroh assist trophy
Legend of Zelda - 6 updates total, most recent August 20th, Link's moves
Yoshi - 4 updates total, most recent August 23rd, Yoshi's final smash
Kid Icarus - 6 updates total, most recent September 3rd, Pit's Descent (not "officially" a Kid Icarus update)
Donkey Kong - 7 updates total, most recent September 25th, Donkey Kong Makes His Stand (likewise, this doesn't have the DK symbol either but I'm counting it)
Animal Crossing - 4 updates total, most recent September 26th, Mr. Resetti assist trophy

Wow i never realized Zelda, Yoshi, and Kit Icarus are being screwed nearly just as bad as F-zero is...

I demand equal franchise rights! :(

dfyb

Banned
cool update. but a bit meh if you can only watch random, anomymous matches...

hopefully this means more than 4 friends can join a lobby and the ones not fighting can spectate or something.

watkinzez

Hmm, who do I think will win? Player one, player two, player three or player... four?
Just as well Nintendo stopped those pedophiles watching Brawl matches that kids played, god forbid. Close one.

Iam Canadian

Kelsonk said:

That's a little unfair. This week wasn't the greatest, but this is a cool update and we got music yesterday. Compared to the earliest weeks, this isn't that bad.

And with every subpar update (I don't consider yesterday's or tonight's updates subpar in the least, by the way), we only get that much closer to a good one.

Jiggy

-Before this week, final smashes, how to play, and music updates were all at 14 each. Each showed up on one day this week and moved up to 15, continuing to tie each other for third-most-common type of update. Game modes, however, showed up on two days this week and also moved up to 15 with this Spectator update, so the three-way tie has become a four-way. All four types are just ahead of special moves, but still two below stages.

-16 days without a character. Frightening. D:

-There's nothing else to say, really. Nothing else changed, since Spectator isn't affiliated with a character/series and also wasn't one of the five least recent update types. I can't even say something as trivial as "this is the first week in a long time where only two of the updates were from a non-Smash franchise" or "this is the first week in a long time to have two game mode updates," because both of those things happened just two weeks ago.

Edit: And I'm out for an early night.

Iam Canadian

Sixteen days without a character. :( A sad reality of this harsh, post-Dedede world in which we live.

I'm actually starting to get my hopes up for Mega Man on Sunday night. I know they'll only be squashed, but... D:

By the way, can anyone using Firefox load the Smash site? I hate to sound like a broken record, but this is seriously getting on my nerves...

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Couple hundred pages back I mentioned this. :)

Now we just need video sharing to Nintendo and online tournament mode (which also uses spectator mode if you've finished your fight).

I like that Sakurai is packing so much stuff I wanted into this game! Thanks.

Iam Canadian

ElFly said:
Why does Nintendo want data of Brawl matches?

Rebalancing down the way???

I really doubt this. Unless something is just completely and utterly broken, I highly doubt that Nintendo will go and send updates for everyone just for tweaks. Besides, for the Wiis that don't connect to the internet, you'd end up with multiple versions of the characters floating around.

Mudhoney

Iam Canadian said:
By the way, can anyone using Firefox load the Smash site? I hate to sound like a broken record, but this is seriously getting on my nerves...
I can. I'm on linux though. Try using that instead. :p

mj1108

Some of you are the biggest bunch of crybabies I've ever seen....some of you expect every update to be a MEGAT0N update when you know damn well it's not -- and considering EVERYTHING that's already in this game, what the hell more do you want or expect at this point? Seriously.

Crocodile

Iam Canadian said:
Sixteen days without a character. :( A sad reality of this harsh, post-Dedede world in which we live.

I'm actually starting to get my hopes up for Mega Man on Sunday night. I know they'll only be squashed, but... D:

I'm using Firefox (on Windows XP) and the Smash Site works fine for me. I don't know what to say to you man.

Anyway this was a nice way to end the week. Hopefully we are on the up and up concerning the quality of update content and get an update of Megamanton-esque proportions next week.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
This is really cool.. although it would be ten times more amazing to be able to watch specific matches featuring players with names. ah well

And.. damn, no Olimar! But the hype train is still going! MEGAMAN MONDAY WOO!

Iam Canadian said:

Yes, I can flawlessly.

The update today is nice, although I'll be shocked if Nintendo pulls all of this online stuff off flawlessly. Between level sending/downloading, online battles and co-op, and now a spectator mode....I just can't see them doing it honestly.

Firestorm

ElFly said:
Why does Nintendo want data of Brawl matches?

Rebalancing down the way???

I don't think they need to watch for that. PAL version of Melee is more balanced than NTSC but it didn't require this kinda stuff.

wi-fi02_071116c-l.jpg

Looks like Nintendog, Sothe, Sothe, Grey Fox, Toad, and Silver.

el jacko

Iam Canadian said:
Besides, for the Wiis that don't connect to the internet, you'd end up with multiple versions of the characters floating around.
But doesn't that happen with any game that has updates?

I mean, tournament people will just require fully updated games, and non-tournament people won't care about it.

Darkpen

Banned
Holy shit! Spectator mode! :OOOOO

I mean, I thought it'd be cool to have this mode, but what? You can lay bets down too?!?!

I can see it now:

Smash Bros. Brawl ESRB Rating Update:
T

Content Descriptors:
Cartoon Violence
Crude Humor
Simulated Gambling

:p

Then again, Star Ocean had gambling, and that wasn't in the content descriptor :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom