• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The HD Movie thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Az987 said:
Dont know if anyone else cares, but I saw on High-Def Digest that Takashi Miike's 'Django' is coming to blu-ray in November :D

Good to see Miike movies on blu. I'm not big fan of Django but hopefully this release is first step for further Miike releases.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
watched stargate: continuum last night. Enjoyable enough hokum but I didn't enjoy it as much as the 1969 episode of stargate. The time travel parts were pretty downplayed.

Still, its my first SG-1 in HD (anyone know when/if they started shooting the TV show in HD? sky over here only show atlantis in HD). Looked good but not spectacular. And some of the cast are starting to get that 'star trek' effect, where they are clearly not in the prime they were in the TV series. Mainly RDA who has filled out a bit, but the others are clearly getting on a bit, and HD doesn't give you any place to hide on that front.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
captive said:
Also it would seem Bracke got the specs mixed up, the DTS on the blu-ray is supposedly 6.1 not 5.1.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1049711&page=2

You mentioned in a previous post that my Onkyo SR-606 should be able to matrix 5.1 out to 6.1. I know you have a higher model number Onkyo than I do, though, and mine may not be able to do it. I found the menu I assume you were talking about, the Listening Mode Preset, but the options I'm given for analog/pcm sound are:

-Last Valid
-Direct
-stereo
-mono
-PLIIx movie, music, or game
-Neo: 6 cinema or music
-Mono
-Orchestra
-Unplugged
-Studio Mix
-TV Logic
-All Ch Stereo
-Full Mono
-Theater Dimensional

I'm assuming the 6.1/7.1 selections (PLIIx and Neo: 6) would degrade my uncompressed signal. Would that be the case?

teiresias said:
Question concerning Dark City. The second disk has a digital copy that one can move into iTunes right? Does that mean the second disk is a DVD or do I need to find some way to get this digital copy off of a Blu-Ray that won't play in anything but my PS3?
it's a DVD. Why, I have no idea. It's just a program that generates a one-use code for you. Could fit on a business card CD, probably.

Mamesj

Banned
just watched Batman Begins on Blu-ray last night-- my first time watching it. Pretty incredible. Oddly enough, I've become used to Blu-ray rather fast and am not as blown away as I was, say, when I watched the Departed when it first came out. I think it works better for brighter movies. Which is why I hope Amelie and City of Lost Children go blu soon!

Also, does anyone have any experience with internal Blu-ray drives for PCs? I'm thinking of getting one since they're rather cheap. The reviews seem mixed for all the drives though...maybe I should wait until there are better models out?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
VanMardigan said:
I'm assuming the 6.1/7.1 selections (PLIIx and Neo: 6) would degrade my uncompressed signal. Would that be the case?
They shouldnt, it should keep the uncompressed signal for all channels it has received then depending on the algorithm they use matrix the sixth channel in. I certainly havent noticed any sound quality difference from running "pure audio" setting and any matrix mode. Some of the people over at AVS swear by the PLIIx for their 705's.

Pretty nice looking Denon reciever is the Deal of the Day @ Amazon.

Also I watched 21 the night before the last, pretty meh movie, Kevin Spacey is the only thing that made it tolerable. The A/V were fine though, finally register my BD Live profile, though that seemed like a waste of time...

YYZ

SlaughterX said:
Also I watched 21 the night before the last, pretty meh movie, Kevin Spacey is the only thing that made it tolerable. The A/V were fine though, finally register my BD Live profile, though that seemed like a waste of time...
the best part of the movie is when Spacey calls him a "fucking infant", so lol-worthy.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I saw One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. First time I'd seen the film. The video was meh, and so was the audio. I'm assuming both are the result of source issues. The film itself was pretty good. Jack Nicholson has always been a stud.

Also saw the Ruins. For a movie with so many daylight shots, I wasn't impressed often with the PQ. The audio was also disappointing, mostly due to how the film is set up.The movie was bad, not even scary.

Finally, College Roadtrip. Good PQ (though it exposed bad makeup work) and good sound (for a comedy with some music thrown in). Also, the movie isn't nearly as terrible as I thought it would've been when my wife asked to rent it. I even laughed a few times.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Not sure if anyone is an Afro Samurai fan, but the blu-ray version is FINALLY coming out on Aug 26th in the US. I am especially happy because I do not need to import the expensive Japanese version.

51xvfJscIaL._SS500_.jpg

Now I just wish Karas was on blu-ray.

Just finished watching Rambo: First Blood Part II. If the new Rambo was MGS4 (lol, old Snake) then this is easily Snake Eater. Rambo > Snake though. Also that Asian chick was pretty hot, but we all knew she was going to die from the start. The audio was pretty tame, could have made better use out of the surrounds, and the video ranged from crappy to fantastic, very inconsistent, but for the most part it looks pretty damn good.

YYZ

neojubei said:
Not sure if anyone is an Afro Samurai fan, but the blu-ray version is FINALLY coming out on Aug 26th in the US. I am especially happy because I do not need to import the expensive Japanese version.
I liked it enough to warrant a purchase, especially on BD.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
It's out already?

I must know the answer too!

Its an okay movie. Its not as good as the original movies and has lost alot of the charm and humour of the originals. It does have some very good action sequences though. Theres this chubby guy who is incredibly fast.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Matrix has been announced by Warner for Japan in December Link. Only a matter of time for an announcement for US, although being region A, (and Warner being region free generally) you could always import.

Its going on my christmas list anyway.

ChryZ

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/new..._Ghostbusters_Blu-ray_Plans_at_Comic-Con/1931

'Ghostbusters' fans attending Comic-Con this weekend could get a sneak peek at an apparently October-bound Blu-ray release of the '80s comedy classics.

According to various fan and website reports coming in from Comic-Con (which officially kicks off tomorrow in San Diego), a Sony Blu-ray booth on the show floor is currently touting an October 21 Blu-ray street date for both 'Ghostbusters' and 'Ghostbusters 2,' complete with a large overhead banner advertisement (featuring the tagline "Get Slimed in High-Def!")
:D

FnordChan

I recently went looking for my copy of Ghostbusters and found that it had gone wandering, presumably loaned out and never returned. I was about to re-buy it but now I can hold out for sweet, sweet Blu-Ray. Awesome.

FnordChan

oatmeal

Banned
I recently got my Free Five movies...I got:

American Psycho
The Prestige
Superman
Harts War
And, The Patriot

I also bought Weeds Season 3, Enchanted, Batman Begins, and Cloverfield.

I love Blu Ray.

Euphor!a

Banned
I'm not sure if this has been asked yet but is there a list anywhere the lists all the non-region locked Blu-Ray movies? Specifically those from Europe and Japan.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Mamesj said:
just watched Batman Begins on Blu-ray last night-- my first time watching it. Pretty incredible. Oddly enough, I've become used to Blu-ray rather fast and am not as blown away as I was, say, when I watched the Departed when it first came out. I think it works better for brighter movies. Which is why I hope Amelie and City of Lost Children go blu soon!

Also, does anyone have any experience with internal Blu-ray drives for PCs? I'm thinking of getting one since they're rather cheap. The reviews seem mixed for all the drives though...maybe I should wait until there are better models out?

The problem with a really dark movie like Begins is most consumer HDTV's really really really really suck at shadow detail.

Oni Jazar

I hope Warner Bros goes batshit crazy with the features and quality of the Blu-ray release for The Dark Knight. I think it could be to Blu-ray what the first Matrix did for DVD.

Cheebs

Oni Jazar said:
I hope Warner Bros goes batshit crazy with the features and quality of the Blu-ray release for The Dark Knight. I think it could be to Blu-ray what the first Matrix did for DVD.
At the very least you know it won't have a commentary. Nolan said he won't do commentaries on the Batman films.

StoOgE

Rapping Granny said:
So is Children of Men ever coming to Blu Ray?

Yes, but I imagine that Universal is either redoing or finding a way to move the iHD stuff from this one over to BRD, it was probably the snazziest HDDVD when it came to that sort of thing.

StoOgE

Cheebs said:
At the very least you know it won't have a commentary. Nolan said he won't do commentaries on the Batman films.

Remember, Nolan talked about how the BRD could open up the framing for the IMAX shots. I imagine this is going to be a phenomenal BRD.

Duderz

Banned
Title: The Ultimate Matrix Collection
Starring: Keanu Reeves
Released: 14th October 2008
SRP: $129.95

Further Details:
Warner Home Video has announced the long-delayed Blu-ray release of The Ultimate Matrix Collection for the 14th of October, priced at around $129.95. The set will arrive on seven discs, which will include a mixture of both Blu-ray and standard definition DVDs. Full specs have yet to be revealed, but you can almost guarantee that they will be identical to the previously released HD DVD version. We'll bring you full details as soon as we have them, but until then here's the artwork.

ultimatematrixblur1art.jpg

Solo

Fuck WB and their continuing refusal to release The Matrix on its own (I mean the version with the new transfer/different look to it, only available in the giftsets). NO, I DO NOT WANT 2 AND 3.

Duderz

Banned
Solo said:
Fuck WB and their continuing refusal to release The Matrix on its own (I mean the version with the new transfer/different look to it, only available in the giftsets). NO, I DO NOT WANT 2 AND 3.

Yeah, I'm a little hesitant on this. I'm sure Amazon will knock the price down to ~ $100 or so, but still, I'm only interested in the original and The Animatrix.

They know no one wants 2 & 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom