• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You must be great at parties"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Fuck this stupid shit line. I'm sorry I don't fall under the umbrella of constant, hedonistic entertainment and that my use of a brain offends you so greatly.

I hate when people say this. I love to joke around and have a good time as much as anyone else, but people tend to throw it around whenever someone makes an intellectual or well reasoned comment. Basically a more subtle version of this:

Homer-yells-nerd.gif

It is anger inducing.

Edit: idontknowwhatiexpected.gif

Context: The instance that sparked this thread wasn't said to me, actually, but it was overheard in another conversation. Someone cracked a joke about the name of a character from a movie and the other guy corrected the name and started to talk about the character. It wasn't like he killed the joke or anything, he was just starting a new conversation. But the other guy took it personally and attacked him for it. Not the worst example, but it reminded me of how many times people pull this line.

Fuck this stupid shit line. I'm sorry I don't fall under the umbrella of constant, hedonistic entertainment and that my use of a brain offends you so greatly.

I hate when people say this. I love to joke around and have a good time as much as anyone else, but people tend to throw it around whenever someone makes an intellectual or well reasoned comment. Basically a more subtle version of this:

It is anger inducing.

spoken like someone who must be great at parties

692.gif

gohepcat

Banned
This come across as incredibly arrogant.

The only time I've ever seen it used is in the context of a lighthearted reminder that someone is being overly serious or negative about something.

Tagyhag

If people use it in the context of someone making an intelligent observation, then they would be using the line wrong.

It's really used for jerks who think they're better than everyone else for not finding something funny or entertaining, and having to point that out to make sure everyone understood that this type of entertainment was beneath them and their superior intellect.

I'm sorry I don't fall under the umbrella of constant, hedonistic entertainment and that my use of a brain offends you so greatly.

People like this, OP.

ItIsOkBro

i feel like there's a lot of pressure in that statement. i must be great at parties? so demanding, what if i'm not feeling it that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom