• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CyberConnect 2 reveals they have 3 current gen console games in development

duckroll

This week's Famitsu has a huge article on CyberConnect2 as a developer, and mostly covers their upcoming announced titles. There's also an interview with the CEO about the future of the developer, including the cryptic "new challenge" recruitment ad they recently put up.

Apparently the new challenge is not just one game but there are 3 current-gen console games they're developing at the moment. The keywords in the ad refer to the different titles, with the text in the largest font size referring to the first title, and the medium and smaller font text referring to the other two projects.

The first unannounced title they're working on will be on Unreal Engine 4 targeting a worldwide audience. Other keywords associated with it are "large scale development", "photo real", and "physically based rendering". The second unannounced title will be an open world game, and the third unannounced title is a VR title.

He also goes on to say in the interview that up until now, CC2 has split the number of titles they worked on between console and smartphones evenly, but moving forward, they're looking at a ratio of 70% consoles, 30% smartphones. He feels that this is the time for console development to fight on.

Edit: For reference, here is the ad: http://www.cc2.co.jp/recruit/new_challenge/

And this is the background where you can see all the text: http://www.cc2.co.jp/recruit/new_challenge/img/bg.jpg

FluxWaveZ

He also goes on to say in the interview that up until now, CC2 has split the number of titles they worked on between console and smartphones evenly, but moving forward, they're looking at a ratio of 70% consoles, 30% smartphones. He feels that this is the time for console development to fight on.

Damn straight.

I hope he's right

This week's Famitsu has a huge article on CyberConnect2 as a developer, and mostly covers their upcoming announced titles. There's also an interview with the CEO about the future of the developer, including the cryptic "new challenge" recruitment ad they recently put up.

Apparently the new challenge is not just one game but there are 3 current-gen console games they're developing at the moment. The keywords in the ad refer to the different titles, with the text in the largest font size referring to the first title, and the medium and smaller font text referring to the other two projects.

The first unannounced title they're working on will be on Unreal Engine 4 targeting a worldwide audience. Other keywords associated with it are "large scale development", "photo real", and "physically based rendering". The second unannounced title will be an open world game, and the third unannounced title is a VR title.

Good man. I will buy three copies of your current gen .hack reboot^^

SgtCobra

This pleases me in naughty, exciting ways. I wish most Japanese devs thought like this but we all know where the money is.

502188_1280253886614_full.jpg

Based CC2.

I remember someone saying that their coverage was over 10 pages or something like that....any more info on the titles, publishers, release windows and platforms?

duckroll

Based CC2.

I remember someone saying that their coverage was over 10 pages or something like that....any more info on the titles, publishers, release windows and platforms?

The coverage is on CC2 as a studio. It is a 20th Anniversary article. It covers the studio's history, their current/upcoming titles (Naruto, Jojo, smartphone stuff), and there's a long interview with the CEO. The only info about their unannounced titles comes from the interview, and since they are unannounced, no there are no details.

I didn't know they had mobile titles. Fight on, Japan.

Also, working on 5 games at the same time? How big is CC2?

150 people.

Ravage

Wow megaton!!! Now I'm really curious to see who's forking out the cash. Namco is the obvious one but I seriously doubt they are funding all 3 projects. Guessing SCEJ has their hands on at least one of them.

Is that a smart move with how bad console sales are in Japan?

Then again, seems there's more of a focus on games that have a worldwide appeal, so I guess a greater focus on consoles makes sense.

kenji

And I was hoping they would have announced at least one of these games.. Oh well

All three games sounds interesting, I hope a reveal is not top far, at least for the UE4 game

VR game can't be .hack, that game just have no market anymore

koutoru

I hope they continue to use cel shading in their open world game, since their first unannounced project is supposed to be photo realistic.

duckroll

Wow megaton!!! Now I'm really curious to see who's forking out the cash. Namco is the obvious one but I seriously doubt they are funding all 3 projects. Guessing SCEJ has their hands on at least one of them.

With their Namco Bandai projects (Naruto, .hack, Jojo) I think they all use an internal engine at CC2. The last time CC2 used Unreal was when they worked with Capcom and made Asura's Wrath. So either they're simply shifting to UE4 because it's easier to use and they won't have to develop their own engine for current-gen, or this big project might be a non-Namco Bandai project.

kenji

I haven't played a MMORPG seriously since Ragnarok Online, but I'd totally play that on PS4. So much potential..
EDIT: Even without VR
Well.. Actually it doesn't have that much potential, since a VR game with the same dungeon design the old games had, must be the most boring VR game ever XD

But yeah, as an old fan of .hack, I'd be very curious to see it realized

duckroll

150 people and they've 5 console games in various stages of production plus some smartphone games, They'll need to expand if they're really gonna tackle that many projects.

Erm, isn't that what this entire announcement has been about? It's not a game announcement, it's a massive recruitment drive.

Erm, isn't that what this entire announcement has been about? It's not a game announcement, it's a massive recruitment drive.

Yeah, I think cc2 is serious about creating more big games now, their last game I played was Naruto UNS on ps3 and it was great.

Great to see them expanding, more Japanese consoles games are always good in my book.

I wish we would've got a little more information like who is publishing these 3 new games.

SerTapTap

.hack is a story driven game that funny enough is totally unsuited for an mmorpg

That said give us a (proper) .hack, thanks.

Interested in the big ue4 thing, less interested if it's a gritty mcRealistic game

RPGCrazied

Wish it could be .hack, but like other PS2 era jRPG's, its probably dead. If anything I'd like a HD remaster of G.U though.

Ravage

With their Namco Bandai projects (Naruto, .hack, Jojo) I think they all use an internal engine at CC2. The last time CC2 used Unreal was when they worked with Capcom and made Asura's Wrath. So either they're simply shifting to UE4 because it's easier to use and they won't have to develop their own engine for current-gen, or this big project might be a non-Namco Bandai project.

Great observations. I have a feeling it's the former though. They have a very capable internal engine (which gave birth to the best looking cell-shaded games of last gen) but I'm guessing it might not be a good fit for AAA RPGs and open world games. It would make alot of sense for them to choose UE4 (like KH3 and Tekken7) instead of an expensive and slow inhouse solution.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is that a smart move with how bad console sales are in Japan?

Then again, seems there's more of a focus on games that have a worldwide appeal, so I guess a greater focus on consoles makes sense.
They don't fund their own titles so what they make depends on what people want to sign them for that they're willing to take.

Top Bottom