• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you're in my Mario Kart 8 room, please download in the background! No input lag!

I don't care if you're good or not because hey, it's Mario Kart, anybody who's remotely competent can still get good placings here and there. So it's not really an issue.

I don't care if you live on the other side of the world from me and thus have a bit of latency. That's life, that's how the net works. No big deal.

I don't care whether you play seriously or are just focused on trolling me. Either thing's cool and trolling can be kinda funny.

I don't care if you use weaker characters like Toadette or the really popular Morton. I don't care if you use a strong combo or a crap one. I really don't care as long as you don't do one thing.

This is because there is one thing that, above all, I don't want you to do. That would be to be like this guy:
NZK5MPv.png

Just because there's no input lag does not mean that you aren't lagging up the room like mad. It's people like that who piss me off because they're largely the ones who cause the item wheel to lag, which causes me to miss shortcuts, get hit by red shells I could've blocked, and more just because the item wheel has a like 5 second delay.

If you lag that badly in Smash when you play while downloading then guess what? You're probably also lagging badly in Mario Kart 8. The game disguises it the best I can, but I assure you that there's a pretty high chance that you are both introducing item wheel lag and are really hard to hit for other people. As in, people throw green shells at you, and you spin out on their screens, but you are never actually hit because you're what? Lagging by 3 seconds or so? So in reality you're way ahead of where the game says you are on everybody else's screens. Lag can be compensated for when aiming but not when you have a ridiculous ping because you're downloading while playing.

tl;dr: Don't download while playing if Smash has shown that your net can't handle it. Just please! The guy in question probably just doesn't know any better so if you're reading this, please don't do that ever again. Pretty please?

I always play regional to avoid laggy situations, it's true that the game disguises it well for your own racer... But then suddenly you see another racer jump back and forth on the track due to lag and I'm like.. sigh. Nintendo couldn't you plz add an icon to show how good or bad someone's connection really is?

And I still have issues accepting fire hopping, partly because it looks stupid and people that use it look like a fool jumping around on the track.

botty

Banned
Mario Kart 8's online is as tragic as the online for virtually every Nintendo Network game. This should probably just be a general thing.

jotun?

there's a pretty high chance that you are both introducing item wheel lag and are really hard to hit for other people. As in, people throw green shells at you, and you spin out on their screens, but you are never actually hit because you're what? Lagging by 3 seconds or so? So in reality you're way ahead of where the game says you are on everybody else's screens

Good to know!

I'll be sure to fire up a few torrents the next time I play for that sweet lag advantage

I remember being in a lobby that was so laggy I came in 1st place on my screen and the results said I came in 4th. I'm with you.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Seems like Nintendo's fault for trying to convince people they have good connections when they dont.

DaBoss

Yea, most people seem to be uninformed with how online works for different games.
Yes! Why is this basic option not available in any Nintendo game?
Ironically, Brawl has it.

And Smash 4 does as well.
Mario Kart 8's online is as tragic as the online for virtually every Nintendo Network game. This should probably just be a general thing.
I think you should fix your Internet. I don't remember the last game made by Nintendo that had terrible online. Though I do recall people saying that new Wii Sports game was bad.

Peltz

When you say the item wheel lags, do you mean that it actually takes longer for your item to be selected after going through a question mark block?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like Nintendo's fault for trying to convince people they have good connections when they dont.

I wouldn't say that's a bad thing, MK8 feels really smooth online and hides latency really well most of the time.

Having some sort of connection indicator in the lobby might be a good idea though, so idiots who try to download stuff while they play can see that it does impact the game.

When you say the item wheel lags, do you mean that it actually takes longer for your item to be selected after going through a question mark block?

Yes, it keeps spinning and you can't stop it manually because it has to determine the item and tell all the other players' systems what item it is first. So if someone has a bad connection with high latency it will cause issues like that for everyone else.

Ladekabel

When I clicked on the thread title I thought this was about someone farting in your room where you play Mario Kart with friends...

But yeah, I don't understand how people can think it is an good idea to download something while playing online.

So it's due to people like this that Steam turned off downloading while I played ANYTHING until I turned that option off?

Well, the more you know.

Piers

Mario Kart 8 was just the tip, for me. Student houses/mates are the worst when it comes to sucking the bandwidth bone dry. I've had to stop people attempting to take the router into their room, and get people off torrent/limit download speeds.
Otherwise the result is even Google failing to load within 2 minutes.

Nah, fire-hopping is the worst and killed MK8 for me. I had a score of 9500....and in every room there were at least two players who used it (of course they won most of the time). Most annoying thing in the game.

Griss

It has always seemed like common courtesy to pause any downloads while playing online, and if living in a shared house, to ask others to do the same while you play online. My brother and I got used to shouting down the hall that one of us was about to start playing a game. Never bothered me to turn off a download, if there was any, so that he could play without lag.

That was on a 200Mb/s connection, too. Might have been unnecessary. (At first though we were on 3Mb/s and it definitely was.)

DaBoss

It does? How did I never notice that. You have no idea how many times I wondered which fool had turned our 4-player match into a slideshow.

So it was you! :mad:
My bad, I didn't realize you were talking about randoms. It doesn't have it for that. :/

Only for friends you have played with. It shows the strength of the connection.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, fire-hopping is the worst and killed MK8 for me. I had a score of 9500....and in every room there were at least two players who used it (of course they won most of the time). Most annoying thing in the game.

Nah, and I say that as a bike user. The advantage is generally not big enough that items don't diminish it, the people doing that are usually the better players anyway and would win/place high regardless. I mean, when I was playing on WW rooms with GAF folks I was regularly placing ahead of people hopping, again, as a bike user.

Just don't pick Toad's Turnpike.

This, for real :D

OMG Aero

If you lag that badly in Smash when you play while downloading then guess what? You're probably also lagging badly in Mario Kart 8. The game disguises it the best I can, but I assure you that there's a pretty high chance that you are both introducing item wheel lag and are really hard to hit for other people. As in, people throw green shells at you, and you spin out on their screens, but you are never actually hit because you're what? Lagging by 3 seconds or so?
So what you're saying is that I should always download when playing Mario Kart online because it gives me an advantage?
Thanks for the heads up!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I wonder how lag will affect Splatoon.

I wish lag could affect Mario Party 10.

CPCunha

If you're in my room, i only ask one thing... PLEASE SELECT A COURSE... even if its just random, but please, CLICK A FOR GOD SAKES!

I'm with you on that OP. Heck it's just like those people that:

"Hey let me download this 20 gig torrent while I fight you in this input heavy fighting game."

You know who you are. Fuck you.

ChrisD

Connection indicators don't do much if other online games are anything to go off of. High ping players don't even care half the time. "I have to deal with it, so you can too,," is the most common response.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I don't care if you use weaker characters like Daisy.

Fixed it for you, Daisy has and will always continue to suck.
;p

But yeah I didn't even know that you could download games while playing on-line, though I don't play games when the Wii U is downloading something.

This pretty much, so annoying that Nintendo didn't patch it out and I just refused to play on-line as a result.

This and Rainbow road 64...Please.

NEVER!!!! Rainbow Road 64 is awesome!!

Top Bottom