• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can't wait for suspend/resume on PS4?

WARNING: THIS IS NOT ENDORSED BY SONY IN ANY WAY. IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT BRICKING YOUR CONSOLE OR YOUR ACCOUNT BEING BANNED THEN DON'T DOWNLOAD IT.

Well good news for you, thanks to a workaround you don't have to. Two notes before I start::

1. You will not be able to use remote play on vita or vita tv until they receive an update to support 2.5.
2. Thanks to reddit users xXxD3NN15xXx and flyingcloud11 for this workaround.

Let's start:

1. Download SKFU proxy server

2. Open SKFU proxy server and in it click on the HTTP(S) Rules tab. Within it:
Source: http://fus01.ps4.update.playstation.net/update/ps4/list/us/ps4-updatelist.xml
Target: http://fus01.ps4.update.playstation.net/update/ps4/beta/list/us/ps4-updatelist.xml
Click Add Rule.
Note: If in Europe, switch 'us' to 'eu'

3. Turn on your PS4 and in the network setting, set up the proxy server with the proxy ip and port in SKFU.

4. Download the 2.5 firmware and put it on a flash drive under the folder PS4/UPDATE
US EU
Plug the flash drive into your PS4.

5. Put the PS4 into safe mode (turn it off completely and then hold the power down until you hear two beeps)

6. Select update system software and then update from usb device.

7. After the error message appears, keep the flash drive plugged in and select restart the PS4.

8. The firmware should download automatically. Once it's done downloading click on it to install.
Note: You might have to repaet steps 5-7 a few times. It took me three before it finally downloaded.

Enjoy using 2.5!

Alternative method

Oh for anyone actually wanting to do this, skip the whole flash drive section. When you check for update regularly on your ps4 you'll get an error. Reboot the ps4 and it will download regardless.

thuway

Pass. Sony might lock your account or better yet, you might get it bricked. No thanks this close to Bloodborne / Type 0.

SpecX

I expect Sony to issue bans since this isn't formally released. Would love to try it, but not worth the risk.

hodgy100

Chance of bricking your console is very low since you are downloading the firmware straight from Sony's servers.

Yeah, this is true.
If they already uploaded this on their server, it should be safe to download.

Its beta software for beta testing. There is still a chance of it going wrong even if its only a slight one.

and sorry to shit on your thread if i've come across as a twat. Just making sure people are aware of any dangers, however small, before they go ahead and install this.

Chesskid1

Banned
fyi this just tricks your ps4 into downloading the beta update instead of the official update, the proxy just redirects the download URL.

no more chance of a brick then a regular firmware update

i did it and am enjoying the hell out of suspend/resume

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I can wait.

Not too fussed about suspend/resume anyways, more bothered about backing up my games.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I expect Sony to issue bans since this isn't formally released. Would love to try it, but not worth the risk.

Why would they ban you for upgrading your firmware that they themselves have supplied, just not in a public fashion? That seems a tad trigger happy for something that barely affects them.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why would they ban you for upgrading your firmware that they themselves have supplied, just not in a public fashion? That seems a tad trigger happy for something that barely affects them.

Because the beta firmware wasn't available to everyone for a reason.

Also this seems like a ridiculous easy thing to ban for. It doesn't seem like it'd be hard to figure out who isn't supposed to be on the FW.

I haven't kept up with this, what will this allow me to do? Can I "suspend" one game I have digitally, and play another one without that one interrupting? But most games I play are online right now (Destiny and GTA O) so I will get kicked regardless but less load times.

Have they talked about if this will increase power consumption? Regardless It's smarter to turn off your console when not in use for power consumption and console longevity.

Top Bottom