• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can't wait for suspend/resume on PS4?

Is anyone seriously in a position where they can't wait for the update to suspend/resume?
Well, it would be pretty awesome for FF Type-0.. Suspend/Resume is a game changer for RPGs. It's the main reason I love the Vita so much.

I'm too scared of being banned to do this, as much as I'd like to.

J B

Banned
Apparently the system update isn't the only beta in this thread after seeing all of those posts.

Oh for anyone actually wanting to do this, skip the whole flash drive section. When you check for update regularly on your ps4 you'll get an error. Reboot the ps4 and it will download regardless.

Audioboxer

Because the beta firmware wasn't available to everyone for a reason.

Also this seems like a ridiculous easy thing to ban for. It doesn't seem like it'd be hard to figure out who isn't supposed to be on the FW.

Easy? Absolutely not. I posted my reasons in the other topic but a quick summary here:

Multiple accounts can be used on a PS4 (any MVPs PS4).

An MVP could sell his/her PS4 with the beta FW installed.

An MVP could login to their secondary/friends PS4 and download the update which has other accounts on it.

Bonus - Sony have far better things to do.

Aren't you all thread whining? The op took time to explain how to do it and he gets a thread full of people posting their disinterest.

For starters, he makes no mention of YMMV or do at your own peril.

I'll wait until the official release comes out. I'd rather not incur any troubles. If I do, it'll be when Sony gives the official, supported firmware.

Aren't you all thread whining? The op took time to explain how to do it and he gets a thread full of people posting their disinterest.

He took the time to explain, but didn't explain the risks. This is a BETA update and imo shouldn't be installed by people not in the beta update program. If it screws up your console you are shit out of luck because you installed an unapproved update.

foxbeldin

I haven't kept up with this, what will this allow me to do? Can I "suspend" one game I have digitally, and play another one without that one interrupting? But most games I play are online right now (Destiny and GTA O) so I will get kicked regardless but less load times.

it just allows you to pause the game in a low power mode.

Oh for anyone actually wanting to do this, skip the whole flash drive section. When you check for update regularly on your ps4 you'll get an error. Reboot the ps4 and it will download regardless.

That seems to work for some people, but it didn't work for me. The flash drive method works 100% of the time.

For starters, he makes no mention of YMMV or do at your own peril.

I'll wait until the official release comes out. I'd rather not incur any troubles. If I do, it'll be when Sony gives the official, supported firmware.

I thought it was pretty obvious from the instructions, but I'll add a warning to the OP.

Easy? Absolutely not. I posted my reasons in the other topic but a quick summary here:

Multiple accounts can be used on a PS4 (any MVPs PS4).

An MVP could sell his/her PS4 with the beta FW installed.

An MVP could login to their secondary/friends PS4 and download the update which has other accounts on it.

Bonus - Sony have far better things to do.

All of these things are easily accounted for.

YMMV as all hell.

Yea suspend and resume is pretty damn awesome. 12ish seconds to get back into GTA V digitally. And the reogornized quick menu is really nice.

Now I'm just praying to the gods that Sony doesn't ban me and there isn't anything sinister behind using that proxy.

gdt

Have they talked about if this will increase power consumption? Regardless It's smarter to turn off your console when not in use for power consumption and console longevity.

The power use is negligible. I imagine the wear and tear is the same.

I can wait to have the update, but I wouldn't mind more info from those who have done this. Do you guys notice any other changes besides suspend/resume?

AmuroChan

This would've been more useful a year ago when we had no idea when the feature is coming, but now that the FW has been announced and already being beta-tested by preview members, why even take the risk?

Wow sure, I'm be excited to try out the ne..

2w591h.jpg

The power use is negligible. I imagine the wear and tear is the same.

Are you saying the increase in power Is negligible or its negligible in general? Because if it's the latter I certainly disagree.

Let's say you use your PS4 3 hours a day on average. That's 450w of power per day from active use (estimated 150w per hour in game) and 210w a day from standby (estimated 10w per hour from standby) that's ~77kw a year and basically an extra 1/3 of your total PS4 energy used just so your PS4 boots a little faster? Seems a bit rediculous.

Is anyone actually going to do this? lol I sure as hell am not.

Edit: I'm pretty sure this will void any warranty you may have also, so don't go crying to Sony if it fucks up.

Percy

Banned
Was gonna say I wouldn't want to risking messing up my console with a potentially broken firmware update, but it's probably no more a risk on that score than downloading the official ones all things considered though.

Seriously though, I think I'll pass thanks.

Because you are not in the Beta program and Sony will know this and could ban you account.

Over worrying imo. Sony don't have the same track record with wanton banning as Microsoft have. I sincerely doubt they even track the consoles that are supposed to have it and those who aren't etc.

Also the consoles have mechanisms in place to restore firmware via USB, so if anything goes wrong then it'll be recoverable via that method.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You don't need to do the flash drive thing at all. Just restart the console when it tells you the update is not found, and upon restart it will download and install it.

Here are the actual steps, if you are in US:

-Start up the SKFU proxy tool but don't start the server yet.

- Use this as the source: http://fus01.ps4.update.playstation.net/update/ps4/list/us/ps4-updatelist.xml
- And this as the target: http://fus01.ps4.update.playstation.net/update/ps4/beta/list/us/ps4-updatelist.xml

- Run the server now, and in PS4 network settings, set the server IP that you just started to be the proxy’s server.

- Check for software update and you will get an error saying it can't be used on the ps4.

- Restart the system and the update will then pop up in your downloads

The process to do this takes about 5 minutes, and from the looks of it you can repeat this process for any future beta OS release.

Because you are not in the Beta program and Sony will know this and could ban you account.
Aside that you're using a free software update with no harm done to anyone, what you are in the legit beta program, but have other people log in at the console? Their account would still use the 2.50 even if they are not in the beta program.

Top Bottom