• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm about to borrow a Sega CD for 2 months from a friend with a near complete library

A friend of mine has a Sega CD that they are going to bring and let me borrow for roughly two months. Supposedly they have a near complete collection (omitting Japanese and obscure and REALLY hard to find US stuff). Now, I don't know exactly what that means collection-wise, but I know Snatcher is in the cards because I borrowed it last time. Basically, I'm asking what 5 or so games should I ask to borrow? (it's not really feasible to ask for a ton more than 5, so I'm limiting this).

I know for a fact 1 will be Snatcher since last time I borrowed the Sega CD I only managed to get roughly halfway through it before I had to give it back (I was distracted by a busy weekend) and I really want to complete it. After that, I don't know what else to borrow. I have some stuff like Lunar on Playstation, so there's no real point in asking for games that are available (and superior) on other systems...

I'm sort of thinking of Jurassic Park since I remember playing this at a friends house when I was a kid (where we never found the T Rex and got really annoyed at the game) and maybe Popful Mail? Outside of that, I have no idea. I thought Sewer Shark or Night Trap, but I've seen youtube playthroughs of them, and the thought of wasting substantial times on games that can be completed in less than an hour seems wasteful (and I don't know the next time I'll get such a long period with the system). Are there any long games that are Sega CD only? Or, is something like Sonic CD worth it for 6 weeks? I guess, what defines the Sega CD?

Xav

Don't bother with Sonic CD since the version on XBLA and PSN is way better.

Final Fight CD is pretty cool if only for the awesome re-done soundtrack which is still a Sega CD/Mega CD exclusive to my knowledge.

grimmiq

It's basically an early QTE game..but Road Avenger/Blaster was one of my favourite games when I had one as a kid..

ZpayHhw.gif

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Don't bother with Sonic CD since the version on XBLA and PSN is way better.
But it's missing the lyrics to Toot Toot Somic Warrior... And that's like 95% of the point of the game.

Shining Force CD is a pretty good choice. It is a remake/port of the first two Shining Force Game Gear games (only the second made it here in America). It hasn't been ported in any way and it is the definitive way to play the Game Gear games. I will warn you though that there is no exploration like the Genesis Shining Force games and you probably won't like it if you don't care for Strategy RPG's.

But it's missing the lyrics to Toot Toot Somic Warrior... And that's like 95% of the point of the game.
4% is the Metal Sonic race.

I remember when Sonic CD was exclusive to Sega CD and PC meaning not many people had played it, Sonic vs. Metal Sonic was like the fucking legend of the series. Like hearing about the Japanese DBZ/GT episodes as a kid in the 90s watching it on Toonami.

The other 1% is raging at Wacky Workbench

tearsofash

Time Gal. Night Trap. Snatcher. Popful Mail. Eternal Champions. Earthworm Jim. Jurassic Park. Keio Flying Squadron. Lords of Thunder. Lunar. Mega Schwarzschild. Robo Aleste. Syndicate.

VARIA

I really enjoyed what I played of Mansion of Hidden Souls.

It's a first person point and click adventure with a great atmosphere and interesting puzzles.

Great SCD games, definitely play:

Dark Wizard
Sonic CD
Popful Mail
Silpheed
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
SoulStar
Battle Corps
Adventures of Batman & Robin
Snatcher
Keio Flying Squadron
Robo Aleste
Shining Force CD

Decent to good games to also try:

Lunar: The Silver Star
Wirehead
Android Assault
Sol-Feace
Mickey Mania
Rise of the Dragon
Flink
Lodestar
Road Avenger
Time Gal
Ecco the Dolphin (1 and 2)
AH-3 ThunderStrike
Third World War
Wild Willy
Mansion of Hidden Souls
Formula 1 World Championship: Beyond the Limit
Jurassic Park
Final Fight
Batman Returns (driving mode only)

Some FMV games to maybe try if you want to see what they were like even though most are bad: In addition to Lodestar, Time Gal, Road Avenger, and Wirehead above... also maybe Midnight Raiders, Sewer Shark, Night Trap, Surgical Strike, and Ground Zero Texas.

Man, I really know nothing about the Sega CD.

So, I guess:

Snatcher
Jurassic Park
Shining Force
SoulStar
Silpheed

that's my current list based on what you all have suggested. I don't know if SoulStar is available. I have Lunar 2 on Playstation, so no need to play that on Sega CD.

Isn't there some silly skeleton/blues games on Sega CD? Maybe i should use that as a pick. And, again, Sewer Shark and Night Trap are barely games, lasting not even an hour, so I don't want to blow my 2 month binge on those games when a playthrough gives an equivalent result.

Play all the FMV games just to say you did.

Sewer Shark
Dragon's Lair
Night Trap
Double Switch
Tomcat Alley
Timegirl (?)
Ground Zero Texas
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective

Play all the Sega classics that were released with superior CD soundtracks

Ecco The Dolphin
Ecco: Tides of Time
Hook
Earthwork Jim CD
Final Fight CD
Sonic CD

Rip the soundtracks to FLAC.

Play the timeless releases:

Willy Beamish
Lunar 2

....mmmm can't think of much else.

Great SCD games, definitely play:

Dark Wizard
Sonic CD
Popful Mail
Silpheed
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
SoulStar
Battle Corps
Adventures of Batman & Robin
Snatcher
Keio Flying Squadron
Robo Aleste
Shining Force CD

Decent to good games to also try:

Wirehead
Android Assault
Sol-Feace
Mickey Mania
Rise of the Dragon
Flink
Lodestar
Road Avenger
Time Gal
Ecco the Dolphin (1 and 2)
AH-3 ThunderStrike
Third World War
Wild Willy
Mansion of Hidden Souls
Formula 1 World Championship: Beyond the Limit
Jurassic Park
Final Fight
Batman Returns (driving mode only)

Some FMV games to maybe try if you want to see what they were like even though most are bad: In addition to Lodestar, Time Gal, Road Avenger, and Wirehead above... also maybe Midnight Raiders, Sewer Shark, Night Trap, Surgical Strike, and Ground Zero Texas.

Oh god. I think I was about one of 12 people who owned Ground Zero Texas.

that's my current list based on what you all have suggested. I don't know if SoulStar is available. I have Lunar 2 on Playstation, so no need to play that on Sega CD.

The story plays out a fair bit differently on the Sega CD version from what I understand.
But maybe I'm thinking of The Silver Star...

In any case, probably not different enough to waste precious binge time on.

Man, I really know nothing about the Sega CD.

So, I guess:

Snatcher
Jurassic Park
Shining Force
SoulStar
Silpheed

Lunar 2 on SCD is somewhat different from the PS1 version -- different dungeon maps, random battles, different cinema scenes (more, but no fully animated stuff), etc. The Lunar games are long, though, sure... but at least try them if they're there, to see how different the original SCD versions are. The ports are not the same thing as the original, and this goes even more so for the first game (though there I do think the PS1/etc. version is probably better).

Isn't there some silly skeleton/blues games on Sega CD? Maybe i should use that as a pick.
You're thinking of Mr. Bones for the Saturn. So no.

And, again, Sewer Shark and Night Trap are barely games, lasting not even an hour, so I don't want to blow my 2 month binge on those games when a playthrough gives an equivalent result.
Sure, they're probably not too much worth playing compared to other stuff; mostly worth trying if you want to see if there are any reasons why they were some of the most popular SCD games. I don't think either one is particularly good as an actual game.

The story plays out a fair bit differently on the Sega CD version from what I understand.
But maybe I'm thinking of The Silver Star...
Lunar 1 has bigger story changes, but Lunar 2's PS1 remake did have major changes too -- like the first game visible enemies replace the SCD random battles, dungeon maps were reduced in size (the SCD has larger dungeons), the overworld has no battles at all in either PS1 game while in both SCD games they have random battles in the overworlds, and Lunar 2 did have a few minor story changes (Lucia's character is changed slightly, probably some other stuff).

Sure, they're probably not too much worth playing compared to other stuff; mostly worth trying if you want to see if there are any reasons why they were some of the most popular SCD games. I don't think either one is particularly good as an actual game.
But that shouldn't even be the point. There wasn't enough good software on the Sega CD to fill a 2 month binge. A better approach is to simply get the full SegaCD experience. That means playing a fair share of FMV games. Someone borrowing a SegaCD but ignoring the genre of games that defined the platform is doing it wrong.

But that shouldn't even be the point. There wasn't enough good software on the Sega CD to fill a 2 month binge. A better approach is to simply get the full SegaCD experience. That means playing a fair share of FMV games. Someone borrowing a SegaCD but ignoring the genre of games that defined the platform is doing it wrong.

Not enough good software on SCD to fill two months? What? I think there is! The system has some great RPGs and strategy games that'll take quite a bit of time to get through (Lunar 1 and 2, {Popful Mail, Dark Wizard, Third World War), some good adventure games (Snatcher, Rise of the Dragon, Willy Beamish, Mansion of Hidden Souls), some good platformers, some quite difficult (Flink, Earthworm Jim, Ecco 1 and 2 if you count them as platformers, Mickey Mania, Sonic CD, Willy Wombat), six shmups, all good to really great which will take time to master (Robo Aleste, Silpheed, Lords of Thunder, Sol-Feace, Keio Flying Squadron, Android Assault), some good-to-great scaling-sprites 3d vehicular action games, some of which are REALLY hard (Adventures of Batman & Robin, Batman Returns (driving levels), Battlecorps, SoulStar, AH-3 ThunderStrike, Stellar Fire), and some more... the system has a pretty good library of games, and I don't think it would be hard for those games to take up two months regardless of if you play the FMV games much or not.

As for the FMV games, Wirehead is so ridiculous that it's quite entertaining; for some reason I actually kind of like Ground Zero Texas, unlike the rest of Digital Pictures's games; Surgical Strike is an interesting technical achievement even if the game is only average; Road Avenger and Time Gal are the better of the Dragon's Lair-alike games; and Lodestar is a better take on Sewer Shark held back by near-impossible navigation (I like the game, even if I've never managed to beat the first level because I always get lost and can't find the goals... :p)

Oh god. I think I was about one of 12 people who owned Ground Zero Texas.
I kind of hate Night Trap and its spiritual sequel Double Switch, and think that Supreme Warrior is one of the worst fighting games I have ever played, but Ground Zero Texas is simple enough that I do find it kind of entertaining. For those who don't know it, it's just a lightgun-style target shooter, albeit without gun support unfortunately. As in other Digital Pictures games like Night Trap or Double Switch you do have four cameras to switch between, but in this game, unlike those, you actually WANT to watch the video scenes; in Night Trap you need to watch empty rooms for villains while the more interesting videos play in other rooms, but in this game you need to watch the videos because people will turn into aliens in them and you'll need to shoot them. It's a better design for sure. It's not that good of a game, but for an FMV game I've played a lot worse... though most people don't seem to like it at all, but most FMV games are bad so I don't know if that's saying too much.

stewy

There are plenty of games to spend time with on the Sega CD, and plenty you should try just to say you've tried them:

- Adventures of Batman & Robin - worth trying for the 3D engine and the original animation
- Batman Returns - Hands down one of my favourite games on the system with an incredible soundtrack
- Bram Stoker's Dracula - because a belt scroller using FMV is...something to see
- Corpse Killer - When Digital Pictures was getting comfy with its setup
- Dark Wizard - Great strategy RPG, though can be a bit heavy
- Earthworm Jim: Special Edition - Definitive version of the game with redesigned levels
- Ecco the Dolphin - One of the most amazing soundtracks in history
- Eternal Champions - Kind of a controversial game - is it great or not?
- Final Fight CD - Guy! 2 Players at once! Great soundtrack!
- F1: Beyond the Limit - hasn't aged well, but still a cool, early F1 "sim" with some interesting design choices.
- Jaguar XJ220 - one of my fave racers of all time
- Jurassic Park - Best game based on the film
- Keio Flying Squadron - Awesome cute-em-up
- Lunar: The Silver Star - fantastic RPG that can be completed fairly quickly
- Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers - seriously one of my fave QTE style FMV games
- Night Trap - obvious reasons
- Panic! - Needs to be experienced
- Popful Mail - great action/RPG with loads of character
- Prize Fighter - one of the most interesting FMV games ever
- Road Avenger - dat intro song
- Road Rash - Cartridge game plus amazing soundtrack
- Robo Aleste - spiritual followup to MUSHA with killer tunes
- Sewer Shark - Relax! Pretend it's a game! Maybe it'll even be fun!
- Shining Force CD - Because your face can always use more Shining Force
- Silpheed - intense shooter that's worth experiencing
- Snatcher - the only way you'll play it in English!
- Sonic CD - Because Sonic!
- Star Wars Chess - Seriously. Just try it.
- The Terminator - great soundtrack
- AH-3 Thunderstrike - Core made fantastic 3D games for the Sega CD
- Tomcat Alley - Making FMV games fun

Play all of those and get back to us with a full report!

Raptomex

Unless there's issues with the Steam version of Sonic CD that I don't know about, invest in a Genesis to USB cable and use your Genesis controller to play Sonic CD on PC. I use my Genesis controller for all the Genesis classics on Steam and it works flawlessly.

So I'll add to my earlier list Lunar 2: Eternal Blue since you guys say it is really different than the PSX version, and I added a "whatever FMV games you think are fun" so I can 'experience' Night Trap or whatever. Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I'll let you know how this turns out.

only owning two sega cd games, i can hardly call myself knowledgeable in this area, but panic! is super cool

it's not really much of a game, but it's... uh... something.

ghibli99

Have fun! I didn't have a Sega CD for very long (I bought and sold it before a lot of the better games came out for it), but I do have semi-fond memories of those early FMV games. The quality's laughable (and it wasn't great even back then), but it's an interesting mark in Sega's history when they started to struggle again.

Neff

SNATCHER
SNATCHER
SNATCHER

Jurassic Park
Mansion of Hidden Souls
Space Adventure Cobra
Urusei Yatsura: Dear My Friends (awesome if you like the show and speak Japanese)
SNATCHERRRRrrr

Mega CD was a great graphic adventure system.

Oh and Road Avenger.

Top Bottom