• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters III unpitched sequel treatment by filmmaker Max Landis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
He's the writer of Chronicle and the Writer/Director of upcoming film Me Him Her (Haley Joel Osment)

ghostbusters-3-logo.jpg

Seeing as it appears the new Ghostbusters franchise will be moving away from the previous films, and be a complete reboot, I thought it would be fun to release an idea I’d been kicking around for a third movie, turning the first two into a trilogy. Following my own beliefs about trilogies, it is a completion of the cycle and themes started in the first film, updated for modern film standards. As such, it features a heightening of the first film’s threat, as well as multiple action sequences, and deeper emotional through-lines for the characters.

I never pitched this. It is essentially just fan fiction. Please judge it accordingly; I released it to an overwhelming amount of requests, and also just because I like sharing this stuff. I hope you enjoy.

It’s very sparse, but still very long. If you’re wondering where “all the jokes are” or whatever, just trust that if I actually wrote it, I’d do my best to make this movie very, very funny.

So…

We start in the 1920s, where we witness cult leader Ivo Shandor proclaim the prophecy of the two comings of Gozer, one a failure, and the second thirty years later, to destroy the world. One of his followers speaks out, and is killed for his insubordination…becoming the spirit who is eventually known to us as Slimer.

Slam to 2016.

Ghostbusters was a national franchise, privately owned and government subsidized. But the lack of extradimensional invaders meant that there was ultimately a very limited amount of ghosts to bust, and the very optimistic national expansion slowly depleted the Buster’s funds (“Did the Atlanta chapter really need a helicopter?”). The Ghostbusters remain iconic, but despite the merchandise, cartoon show, etc, the company itself is bankrupt, on the verge of collapse.

Only two houses remain open; there hasn’t been a legitimate call in more than ten years. The original Busters are for the most part long gone; Venkman took the money and disappeared into seclusion, Winston Zeddemore quit the busters in 1991 and has since become a Richard Branson style billionaire, and Egon Spengler accidentally ascended to a higher plane of existence, leaving only the increasingly delusional Ray Stantz, who has run the company into the ground

Full thing on his blog.

Hagi

Sounds awesome. I really would have liked a sequel instead of two reboots but what can you do. Maybe I should try the comics.

Sounds awful. GB2 already disbanded the GBs, plus it did right with everyone going their own way, but still living in the city with contact with each other.

antonz

The whole thing reads pretty decent. A nice diverse cast that has its call backs to the originals but is clearly setting the stage for its own future series

Mdot

Infinitely more hyped for this than any of the currently in progress garbage we're actually getting.

Fuck.

I wish this new never even came out if it doesn't ever materialize. Get your shit together, Sony.

Ninhead

One hell of a great ending. Sad that this is better, in an embryonic form, than either of the announced new films. Perfect closure.

Really, really liked this. Perfect combo of old and new while setting a stage for the future. Some legitimate great twists, too. Shame this will never see the light of day.

He fully concedes this and it's common arc in trilogies.

"Following my own beliefs about trilogies, it is a completion of the cycle and themes started in the first film"

Sure, complete the cycle and themes, but the structure and events are too much like the first movie IMO. They introduce some new elements, but I feel like they don't take advantage of them.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Pretty close to perfect. Well done Landis.

Now to endure whatever below-average barf does come out of the thrashing Sony Pictures animal.

Sulik2

Every time Max Landis tosses out one of his random treatments they tend to be awesome. His Captain Hook sounded awesome, his death of Superman was great and this one sounds fantastic as well.

I'm OK with the 360/PS3 game being Ghostbusters III.

That having been said, that was a pretty good read, and I would not be upset by that movie being Ghostbusters III, either (or even Ghostbusters IV, the start of a new trilogy).

We start in the 1920s, where we witness cult leader Ivo Shandor proclaim the prophecy of the two comings of Gozer, one a failure, and the second thirty years later, to destroy the world. One of his followers speaks out, and is killed for his insubordination…becoming the spirit who is eventually known to us as Slimer.

Wasn't this exact idea in Aykroyds script for Three? I know I've heard this idea before. He was going to be murdered by Shandor in the hotel from the first movie.

Why? The game was fucking garbage. Especially the story and performances.

Yes thank you. People complain about II being a retread (it's not) and the game is just "Hey you remember that one scene from the first movie? Let's have you play it!" Not to mention all the bugs and the needlessly added on "upgrades" to the packs.

Wasn't this exact idea Aykroyds script for Three? I know I've heard this idea before. He was going to be murder by Shandor in the hotel from the first movie.

There have been so many versions he's done throughout the years it's hard to keep track.

Nairume

Banned
Yes thank you. People complain about II being a retread (it's not) and the game is just "Hey you remember that one scene from the first movie? Let's have you play it!" Not to mention all the bugs and the needlessly added on "upgrades" to the packs.
Both were retreads

Ghostbusters 2 (which I think is still a legitimately fine movie that I love) is basically the same story over again, and the video game (which is terrible and only slightly bearable if you play the Wii version) is, as you say, an even weaker attempt to point back at the first movie by just having you go through the setpieces.

Ovid

What ever happened to Slimer?

In the cartoon he was with the Ghostbusters but in the movie he was a bad guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom