• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Feig's Ghostbusters sequel could feature cities other than New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busty

Banned
Sony Exec - How are we ever going to get a cinematic universe out of Ghostbusters?

Rothman - How about..., a spin-off trilogy...., set in..., Delaware? Perhaps a haunted..., screen door factory?

Sony Exec - You've done it again!!!!

Rothman - Shut up, you know it, baby.

Maybe if it had bombed, but it's going to do decently well. Sony really wants this to be a tentpole franchise. I'll be pretty surprised if a sequel isn't greenlit.

They've established a lot of things like the Ghost Corps company and have lots planned out too.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Cities other than NYC? Do those exist?

Nope. I live in Los Angeles, and I'm pretty sure it's all fake...

I'd like to see a Ghostbusters set in Europe. There's some great imagery there, and a really bloody history that could, tonally, make a very different Ghostbusters movie. This movie was very tonally different from what came before, but why can't Ghostbusters have a Mission: Impossible type vibe? Where each movie feels very different from the one before it?

I really enjoyed this reboot. Perhaps have the sequel send them into a vortex that puts them in the proper Ghostbusters continuity. My only gripe with the movie is that it's a full reboot, and not an in continuity, 20 years later sequel. Bummed me out.

Wollan

Glad that he's onboard after the unwarranted pre-release hate. Loved it.

edit: Personally though (as an European) I feel that the sequel should stick to New York. It's the home of Ghostbusters, I love the city atmosphere.

Timbuktu

WE'RE GOIN TO CHINA

An 80s/90s Stephen Chow Ghostbusters would have been awesome, one of the few up there with Bill Murray for that dry sense of humour... Even a 2000s one would be great with the Shaolin Soccer/ Kung Fu hustle way of mixing in cig effects with comedy.

He has acted in a ghost movie in 95, but that was only ok.

antonz

Feig felt like the weakest link with the new movie. No problem with the cast but they should really look to a different director.

Awesome, globetrotting Ghostbusters would be great. You could do all sorts of crazy shit, send them to Egypt and have them battle crazy ass Pharaoh ghosts

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Ew. The city is just as important. Not that the current film really did anything with the city. I mean, as long as they have jumpsuits and proton packs I guess its Ghostbusters. Ayyyyy These movies should have been their own universe.

Feig felt like the weakest link with the new movie. No problem with the cast but they should really look to a different director.

I agree with this. This could have been any genre, still the same comedic feel. I also disliked the wackydoodle Ghostbusters Jillian. Her character was awful.

Not a fan of Feig style of comedy(well, like I said in the other thread, the whole line-o-rama/mass improv you see with Feig, as well as in Judd Apatow movies, whose work I also don't care for). Still, when someone mentioned London, the first thought I had was.... a Ghostbusters where LITERALLY the ghosts of the UK's tyrant monarchs are raising to rule the newly Brexited isle.

Second, though, which is the true reason I'm posting, Edgar Wright Ghostbusters! Has to have Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, but the others could be anybody(even women). That's more my kind of comedy!!!

The Argus

I was okay with making the cast all female.

I was okay with a total reboot instead of a continuation.

But taking GB out of NYC? Booooo

They're gonna do Ghost Busters Take Miami huh?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Can we get Vancouver disguised as New York?

Do people hating on this idea think that ghosts are like... ONLY in New York and nowhere else on the planet? Do you know how stupid it is to confine a series about people who hunt and trap ghosts to ONE city? Ghosts only appearing in New York is harder to believe than the idea that they can be trapped and held, or that they even exist at all. WTF.

Ghostbusters in space
You joke but one of the plots Aykroyd wanted to do for Ghostbusters 3 involved aliens and alien ghosts.

If New Orleans Ghostbusters doesn't happen somewhere along the line I'm gonna be bummed.

This city is practically teeming with supernatural lore.
Read the IDW comics!! There's an arc called Haunted America where they do a tour of the US hitting several haunted sites and New Orleans is one of them!

What happens when the Ghostbusters have their citizenships revoked???

Another clueless step in a bad direction, on par for a lot of his efforts using the franchise.
Sony Exec - How are we ever going to get a cinematic universe out of Ghostbusters?

Rothman - How about..., a spin-off trilogy...., set in..., Delaware? Perhaps a haunted..., screen door factory?

Sony Exec - You've done it again!!!!

Rothman - Shut up, you know it, baby.
You two really need to chill out. Especially you Afternoon Delight, your shit doesn't even make any sense. At least Busty's does, despite the fact that he seems determined to not use his imagination at all in regards to a multi-movie Ghostbusters franchise.

"We're ecstatic because we thought this thing would fucking crater! Oh thank god!" *whips out pocket square to dab away sweat*

DeathyBoy

Banned
And if you don't set it in China nothing happens! It'll flop and movie goers will go away peacefully, quietly, we'll enjoy it! But if I'm right, and we can set this flick in China... Lenny, you will have saved the lives of millions of registered movie goers.

kRgAY7M.gif

Sep, when someone asks you if you're a God you say yes. After that post, you've earned it.

Cold blooded.

Also is it true about pushing a sequel regardless of box office results? That doesn't sound like a smart move at all

They are likely not ignoring box office results, but the movie is also not looking to actually be a bomb. Lot of knee jerk reactions, but the movie will likely make its money back and even possibly make some too.

The franchise also generates lot of external money from cross promotional marketing, product placement, and lots of ghostbusters merch/licensing.

It doesn't look like its going to be a bomb at all, just a minor success if anything. But they want to push the series as a franchise and build on it, so they are gonna go ahead.

They really should wait and see the final box office numbers first, no point in doing a sequel to a movie that wasn't profitable. And even if they do surely it would be the "Police Academy: Mission to Moscow" moment for "Ghostbusters" in that there are only so many jokes you can do for the concept before bleeding the well dry.

They really should wait and see the final box office numbers first, no point in doing a sequel to a movie that wasn't profitable. And even if they do surely it would be the "Police Academy: Mission to Moscow" moment for "Ghostbusters" in that there are only so many jokes you can do for the concept before bleeding the well dry.

Every culture has their own set of ghost stories. They could literally set a Ghostbusters movie in like every country and not bleed the well dry on inspiration to pull from. Hell even just within the USA there are all kinds of area-specific paranormal stories they could investigate.

Also the movie's budget was so high because it included every failed Ghostbusters 3 version apparently (and boy there were a lot), so Sony is eating the cost to keep this train moving. Like what Disney did with Frozen and Tangled.

They are gonna wait, it's not like the contracts are signed and movie is filming next week. This won't happen if at all for many months. They will know for sure when the time comes, they pretty much as saying they have plans for more.

Every culture has their own set of ghost stories. They could literally set a Ghostbusters movie in like every country and not bleed the well dry on inspiration to pull from. Hell even just within the USA there are all kinds of area-specific paranormal stories they could investigate.

Also the movie's budget was so high because it included every failed Ghostbusters 3 version apparently (and boy there were a lot), so Sony is eating the cost to keep this train moving. Like what Disney did with Frozen and Tangled.

It's fair to say yes they have a lot of mythology to play with in a sense, I just mean in terms of the jokes they can do about the situations they get in. Also would hope that they don't resort to shooting a ghost in the groin again.

Savitar

Frankly I'll be surprised if a sequel gets made, such talk is the norm even if a movie doesn't do so hot and usually amounts to nothing. The only way for it to be different is if the film ends up doing better than expected.

Fuchsdh

Think Sony said that they're doing more regardless of the box office.

They all say that. Seems really premature to be talking about plot details of movies when the current ones aren't even out yet (looking at you too, Star Trek.)

What costs did Disney eat with Frozen and Tangled? The latter wasn't a big hit but it still made plenty, and the former has been a massive success. While they had long production histories, the actual costs weren't anything like a full film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom