• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters |OT| Is it the boobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. There is actually more Higgins in the film, including that scene.

I didn't like them making fun of how they think that guy would dance, another example of terrible unfunny run-on stuff, but that was the only thing and it wasn't a dealbreaker by any means. I really liked their high school science fair routine they put on for Patty and Jillian.

Managed to catch the last act, before they confront ronan in the restaurant. The show is shit as expected, the cast were as distanced with each others as they were clueless. The jokes are bad. The ending fight is boring af. No wonder it bombed, its just another big budget soulless piece.

The old cast cameo imo doing a disservice to them and the fans. Paul feig can whine about the internet bullying but this is a shit show

The old shows have a certain charm, not my nostalgia masking things imo. Something like Doe ray egon came off naturally. The new one is full of lame cheap looking skit jokes just by the last 20 mins i saw

I love how you basically just wrote "It was a bad film, that's not just my nostalgia talking".

And you only saw 20 minutes of the film?

Come on, dude. Try harder.

longdi

Banned
Isn't the ending supposed to be the climax of a show? The ending act is just so flat that i have no desire watch the whole movie. The skits are just so soulless, maybe millennials like their skits this way, but the old me finds the og movies much more charming

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Well that was a fairly mediocre movie. I like the concept, but you gotta give me more than a casting twist and nostalgia to sell me on the movie. The plot developments and pacing felt off. The humor, while occasionally funny, did not work as a whole.

That's the problem with so many of these remakes...it just seems like a bland repackaging without any of the creative originality. It takes a proven concept and regurgitates a "good enough" clone for today's audience.

The cast deserved a better script than they got.

They could have also tried a little harder to blend in the scenes where the cast is obviously just ad libbing and throwing random jokes at the wall to see what sticks. Not a fan.

T.O.P

Banned
I wanted to like this, i really did

God it was just sooo mediocre, awful jokes, awful pacing, awful villain...such a damn shame :(

Volcane

Saw this a few days ago. Think it is a pretty poor effort for a Ghostbusters movie.

What I found particularly annoying:-

Kevin - just too try hard to act dumb to be funny.

Holtzmann - just acted too weird, and too unbelievable that the invents these things out of nowhere. Nothing like Egon where you actually believe he could've invented the tools.

Girl Slimer - just bad.

Ghosts - just found them all too colourful.

Villain - just naff

The Ghostbusters game had a far better story than this movie.

Isn't the ending supposed to be the climax of a show? The ending act is just so flat that i have no desire watch the whole movie. The skits are just so soulless, maybe millennials like their skits this way, but the old me finds the og movies much more charming

This movie is mediocre (though I'm curious now in the extended cut), but you have to realize that only watching the final 20 minutes of an experience that's well over two hours long is an absolutely terrible way to judge anything. I don't think any of my favorite films would survive that sort of first-time "viewing".

If the only thing that mattered in movies was the climax they would probably make movies differently, right? I refuse to believe this is the usual way you approach a movie you are trying to enjoy.

Mask

Finally saw this after deciding to give it a try.

Wasn't really worth the time, the film is trash. Didn't grab me at any point and was a complete chore to watch. It was only tolerable because I was playing a drinking game and ended up pretty drunk half-way in, which made the later half tolerable.

I liked some of the ghost designs, and some of the tech was cool, but I really can't say anything else was worth the two hours.

Stanng243

I have to agree, the film is bad. The humor just misses. The final battle was horrible. It lacked any of the charm that made the firs one great.

Adam Blue

I wanted to like this, i really did

God it was just sooo mediocre, awful jokes, awful pacing, awful villain...such a damn shame :(

I just saw this and feel the same way. Though, I do think the GBs were cool and I liked seeing them interact. It even had all the sciency stuff I wanted.

Pulling all those references of the original made me think "from the original! That was an amazing film!", then I'm back to this.

It should have been a sequel or really anything to change that story. Any ghost action scenes seemed to force the "action" part and ended up looking awkward.

I heard the sequel isn't happening, but I would have liked to see that. Despite the issues, it was entertaining at the moment. I'd like to see those characters get into more situations and maybe use a director better for that genre.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Saw the extended version. It did feel a bit too long, but it had some decent moments, and I thought that it was pretty decent overall. I was expecting it to be the worst movie of all time, so yeah.

liquidtmd

Banned
I like McKinnon and it wasn't her fault but Holtzmann was by far perhaps the worst character I've seen in a Hollywood movie in a good few years.

Caught the extended cut. Overall a perfunctory, disposable movie. The script was balls and the direction...off but watchable. I enjoyed Spy with Melissa and Feig too.

Will never ever touch it with a bargepole again though.

liquidtmd

Banned
Felt like a way to long SNL skit.

It really did, in a way so many skits of theirs do - it felt amusing but rambling. A very 'rambling' style is pretty much my key take away of the script. The dynamic between the characters was actually good but the dialogue between them didn't feel like conversations, it felt too often like comedians trying way too hard to spout interconnected monologues.

Kevin

Movie was alright but I just felt like the humor didn't fit at all. I felt like it was way to much over the top at all times.

I also found it kind of lame that the engineer was able to whip up a crap ton of Iron Man level weaponry in seemingly no time turning the final battle into what felt like a scene from the Avengers or something.

The film was certainly watchable and had a few ok moments throughout but ultimately didn't do much for me.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Watched the film tonight. The special effects were really well done, but damn didn't like the humor at all, and the movie was just boring.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I didn't love the movie, but I felt like I needed to buy the steelbook to match my other two. I'll watch it again to see how it holds up on a second viewing.

qtxfFY5.jpg

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Mediocre action movie and terrible Ghostbuster's movie.

Pretty much. Finally saw it a few days ago. Nice FX, but the plot felt like a mediocre rehashed mashup of GB 1 and 2, and the humour was just embarrasingly unfunny. It's not quite as bad as I expected it to be, but it's still a pretty damn bad Ghostbusters movie.

And Rowan's 'this is my final form' was so stupid I felt like facepalming my hand through my face.

Watched this in theaters and enjoyed it.

Picked up the 4K UHD and watched the extended edition; enjoyed it even more. It probably brought the film from a 7 to a 7.5 for me. Everything just flowed better and felt more seamless.

It's really too bad we'll probably never see a sequel. Holtzmann and Patty were both fantastic characters and I would've loved to see a sequel now that the gadgetry, characters, and world have been established. You could see the potential in the first, but I feel that a second film could've really hit it out of the park.

Oh, and the 4K UHD looks phenomenal. Particularly the HDR. Definitely some of the most impressive use of HDR I've seen in a film thus far.

Just watched the extended version and Hemsworth is just so damn funny in this movie hahahaha
"What makes me look more like a doctor, me playing saxophone or listening to saxophone.

I didn't love the movie, but I felt like I needed to buy the steelbook to match my other two. I'll watch it again to see how it holds up on a second viewing.

qtxfFY5.jpg

I kind of hate how the steelbook covers for the first two movies only have 3 Ghostbusters in each. Missing Zeddemore in the first, and Venkman in the second. I realize that's because of the scenes they chose in their respective movies to model the art on, but c'mon, they could have chosen different scenes.

Just finished the extended cut, holy shit. I mean I enjoyed the theatrical version of the movie a lot but the shit they had to cut out to get it under two hours? There were whole plot lines cut, explanations for things that make the story flow better, make plot points make more sense, more character development for everyone including the bad guy, Jesus Christ. I can't believe they let the theatrical version come out over the extended cut, it's only 15 fuckin' minutes but it changes the entire film IMO.

Like I can't believe there was actually a Cross the Streams bit in it that they cut. They cut the reason not to do it, then they cut them figuring out they had to do it (which also explains the entire concept of turning the portal into a giant ghost trap) and they cut FX shots of them actually trying and failing with it before figuring out they could use the car.

What the fuck man. I almost feel like I can't recommend the theatrical cut anymore. If you're going to watch Answer the Call, you HAVE to watch the extended cut.

The ONLY thing the theatrical cut has over the extended cut is the "anti-Irish fence" joke at the beginning. There's an alternate joke in the EC that I didn't find nearly as funny.

Just finished the extended cut, holy shit. I mean I enjoyed the theatrical version of the movie a lot but the shit they had to cut out to get it under two hours? There were whole plot lines cut, explanations for things that make the story flow better, make plot points make more sense, more character development for everyone including the bad guy, Jesus Christ. I can't believe they let the theatrical version come out over the extended cut, it's only 15 fuckin' minutes but it changes the entire film IMO.

Like I can't believe there was actually a Cross the Streams bit in it that they cut. They cut the reason not to do it, then they cut them figuring out they had to do it (which also explains the entire concept of turning the portal into a giant ghost trap) and they cut FX shots of them actually trying and failing with it before figuring out they could use the car.

What the fuck man. I almost feel like I can't recommend the theatrical cut anymore. If you're going to watch Answer the Call, you HAVE to watch the extended cut.

The ONLY thing the theatrical cut has over the extended cut is the "anti-Irish fence" joke at the beginning. There's an alternate joke in the EC that I didn't find nearly as funny.
Yeah, I have pretty much the same opinion, though I didn't really notice when I watched the original cut.

I agree, the Irish fence joke was one of my favourites, though the Ozzy line is better in this version, so potato potato.

scoobs

Girlfriend and I watched this the other day. We quit about an hour or so in, right after the rock concert. The jokes just missed over and over and over for both of us. GF liked McKinnon's character (I hated her). I thought the only saving grace was Wiig, whose style of humor has always worked for me.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Saw the EE yesterday. I didn't feel robbed of my time like I did with BvS, it's just... there. It exists, much like a rock exists. I don't mind that it exists, but I'm not excited in any way by it's existence. There were some chuckles, a few grins, but that's it. Aykroyd's cameo was really clever, Murray's cameo was "eh" and made thankful he passed on a Ghostbusters 3 because I could not stand him going on like thise for an entire movie. The Harold Ramis bust outside Wiig's office was a nice nod.

Kate McKinnon was easily the best of the bunch, followed closely by Hemsworth. Leslie Jones was enjoyable when she wasn't doing her angry black woman routine, McCarthy and Wiig....the movie could've done without them, they were just not funny and the acting was horrible. The jokes overall were terrible, BTW, especially the amount of toilet-humor, but the dance-joke stood out as the worst. It just dragged on, like it's supposed to get funny after a certain amount of time.

Overall, this movie feels like it's been written around a couple of bad jokes and forced a story to connect those jokes together. There's hardly any natural flow, and motivation for the characters is almost non-existent. "I saw a ghost, fuck this, I'll quit my job and I'm joining the Ghostbusters." is just lazy writing.

And again, McKinnon sold Holtz. If Sony decides to ditch this and move on to another reboot, one with Aykroyd and Hudson, please, keep McKinnon. Keep Holtz. She saved every single scene she was in the frame of.

Monocle

Oh, nice, I'll have to check this out then. Loved the theatrical cut.

-shadow-

It's weird that people say the extended cut makes the film better when I thought that editing down about ten to fifteen minutes of the theatrical would've improved the film a ton. The extended cut isn't launching in the Netherlands until December when I plan on buying the blu-ray. So I'll see in about two months what it's like.

Rated-G

I also missed the anti irish fence joke from the theatrical cut. Holtzmann's line about the pringles "you try resisting these taste parabolas" from the theatrical cut was also much better than the line they have in the extended version. But Erin's response to the rent quote for the firehouse is so good in the extended version.

Overall I like the extended version much more. It doesn't completely solve the problems I had with the story but it at least somewhat addressed many of them, or made them a bit less prevalent. I think it actually fixed some pacing issues too, despite the length of the film there were several parts of the theatrical cut that felt like they had no room to breathe, and the extended version aleves that a little.

Mossybrew

Watched it Saturday with my daughter and honestly we both loved it. We were laughing throughout, it was just FUN. Don't get why so many people didn't like it - though this was the "extended" version so I dunno how much it was improved.

KingV

Girlfriend and I watched this the other day. We quit about an hour or so in, right after the rock concert. The jokes just missed over and over and over for both of us. GF liked McKinnon's character (I hated her). I thought the only saving grace was Wiig, whose style of humor has always worked for me.

I think McKinnons character is love/hate for sure.

I like the idea of her, and she has some good lines, but overall she plays it way too hammed up, and it just comes across as corny.

Like if you dialed her character down from 11 to 9, it would have been perfect.

Lothars

Watched it Saturday with my daughter and honestly we both loved it. We were laughing throughout, it was just FUN. Don't get why so many people didn't like it - though this was the "extended" version so I dunno how much it was improved.
I thought it was a poor movie with the cast being the only good part of the movie. Now I haven't seen the extended cut and I plan to because I really like ghostbusters, so will watch the extended cut since it does sound like it makes the movie better.

It's weird that people say the extended cut makes the film better when I thought that editing down about ten to fifteen minutes of the theatrical would've improved the film a ton. The extended cut isn't launching in the Netherlands until December when I plan on buying the blu-ray. So I'll see in about two months what it's like.

While I agree there are certain scenes in both versions that could still use some trimming (as much as I tend to enjoy verbal diarrhea humor, the "suck it" scene with the dean and the "cat out of the bag" both overstay their welcome even for me) there are a lot of areas that really needed more space and explanation. Rowan needed way more development. Erin just straight disappearing from the last part of the movie has no explanation in the theatrical cut. There's a "dance scene" in the EC that, while I'm sure will be divisive on humor, explains the Lay Lines and the barriers between our world and the ghost realm. There are more small character moments that flesh everyone out. Kevin's reasoning for trying to become a Ghostbuster is actually shown and explained, he doesn't just show up trying to be part of the team anymore. They actually bring up crossing the streams and it leads into the discovery of how to reverse the ghost portal. Even the Mayor gets a little more development as we're treated to a brief introductory scene with him and his assistant immediately before the girls are pulled into his office. Even really simple stuff like a dubbed-in line while Kevin is possessed where he says "Let me take you back to New York's heyday" or something similar actually gives context as to why there are ghosts from all eras popping up in the Times Square battle.

It's just way better in all respects IMO, I can't believe Sony was so insistent on getting it under 2 hours that they let something that was supposed to be their summer tentpole cinematic universe launching Ghostbusters flick go out the doors with so much cut out when a measly 10-15 extra minutes helps it SO much.

I really can't believe that the "salty parabolas" line is not in the extended cut. Human beings made that choice. How is that possible?

I have the movie paused right now because I couldn't believe it. I thought "am I misremembering where the line was?" But no, I'm not. They really cut it.

Bluth54

I finally got a chance to watch Ghostbusters 2016 (the extended cut) and I was horribly disappointed. Ghostbusters is my favorite film of all time and it felt like I was watching a bad parody of Ghostbusters.

The biggest disappointment was the change of style of humor. Ghostbusters has a lot of subtle, smart humor while 2016 completely changes the style, going for more in your face and dumb humor. 1984 felt like something that could of happened in the real world if ghosts existed and the tech to trap them did, but 2016 didn't.

So many things made it feel like a parody. From the very beginning one of the Ghostbusters wanted the pants of someone who soiled himself when he saw a ghost, but why would anyone want that? It felt like an obvious parody or tribute to the 1884 Ghostbusters collecting slime, but slime would of been useful to them since it would of helped them with their ghost research.

So many of the characters were extremely stupid or acted extremely stupid. I'm not sure how Kevin was supposed to function as an adult. He's an obvious parody of the dumb blond secretary trope but Janine wasn't a dumb blond secretary. Erin wants to prove to Bill Murry's character that ghosts are real so badly that she lets the one ghost they catch in the entire movie free, only to have it kill him and then have the police that question them make jokes about ghosts in movies. So many things like that just don't feel like something that would happen in real life.

The equipment and how they react to it is also very inconsistent, which is really annoying and again something you would see in a parody. The proton packs seem to do a lot of damage, but they don't have any problem firing them at a ghost when other Ghostbusters are running down the same hallway, or standing around testing them in an alley and just barely moving out of the way of the proton streams. They also need to catch the ghost at the concert but at the end they're just whipping them around and making them disappear.

There were some good things. I liked the focus on building the tech which was something a little bit different from the original, even though most of the plot points are very similar to the first. I also liked how the villain wasn't just Gozar, but he felt really under developed. I have no idea why he was able to build a ghost amplifying machine or why he because such a powerful ghost (maybe the machine did it?) I also though the cast had good chemistry together and probably could of made a good movie if they weren't given such a bad parody script.

He used the theoretical tech in Abby and Erin's book to build his tech. They mention it briefly in the theatrical cut but Rowan goes into more detail about it in the extended cut. He just used their designs but reversed them to blow out instead of pull in.

I'd assume he because so powerful because 1) he killed himself with/over the giant amplifier and 2) maybe the ghosts were thankful for being freed? But mainly because the giant machine I assume.

Also the tech evolves through the movie, so not only is it all much more powerful by the Times Square fight but there are, at that point, multiple weapons all designed to do different things.

Murray's character isn't dead. That's one thing I was positive they were going to put back in to the extended cut, but instead they decided to add in a line about him not being Ghostbusters material (fuckin buuuurrrnnnn)

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Maybe you like Feig's strand of humor more than most people?

liquidtmd

Banned
Maybe you like Feig's strand of humor more than most people?

Thing is though, I kinda like Feigs body of work. Spy was a hoot of a night of the cinema that breezed by. Ghostbusters however just felt like 'Plot point, ZINGER, ZINGER, ZINGER, plot point...' that felt entirely artificial and awkward.

Holtzmann existed purely to throw zingers at the screen. There was no character and I like McKinnon usually

Bluth54

He used the theoretical tech in Abby and Erin's book to build his tech. They mention it briefly in the theatrical cut but Rowan goes into more detail about it in the extended cut. He just used their designs but reversed them to blow out instead of pull in.

I'd assume he because so powerful because 1) he killed himself with/over the giant amplifier and 2) maybe the ghosts were thankful for being freed? But mainly because the giant machine I assume.

Also the tech evolves through the movie, so not only is it all much more powerful by the Times Square fight but there are, at that point, multiple weapons all designed to do different things.

Murray's character isn't dead. That's one thing I was positive they were going to put back in to the extended cut, but instead they decided to add in a line about him not being Ghostbusters material (fuckin buuuurrrnnnn)

I thought Holtzmann built most of their tech. I guess maybe the book just had some theories on ghosts and Rowan was just super smart? No scientist would publish a book with theoretical tech information when they were still working on their tech.

Also some of the later tech was clearly built to quickly dispach ghosts like the grenade and the shredder but they were working on the containment unit at the end so they clearly still needed to catch ghosts, plus they were just using a normal proton stream to whip ghosts out of existence.

Big Nikus

Watched it yesterday with my GF and we had a lot of fun.

So, the movie bombed hard ? Absolutely no chance for a sequel ?

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Man, that scene where one of the Ghostbusters stage dives but isn't caught? That joke gets funnier in every movie, television show and commercial I've seen it in for the last two decades. Also, that scene where the ghost gets shot in the dick. Really top notch stuff.

This movie was absolute trash. Once Wiig's character loses her job any semblance of plot or character motivation goes out the window and to fill the vacuum left by the story you just get scenes where actors blather over each other in ad-libbed dialogue, trying to riff their way to a funny scene and fail.

This fucking chore of a movie was Ow My Balls! with Ghostbusters imagery pasted on top.

I got the blu-ray last Sunday, watched it 5 times already and I love it. Lots of references to the original movies, similar tone to the humour, great characters, awesome effects (especially coming over the black bars.) The only thing that lets it down is probably the story isn't as strong as GB1. I mean, in GB1 they had a purpose. They're out of a job, so they set up Ghostbusters and it takes off. They need help, so hire Winston. Peck shuts them down, causing the catastrophe at the end of the movie. 2016's is a bit less focused. But this isn't enough to make it deserve the backlash it got IMO. It's a good movie and I hope they do another. The ending seemed to set that up.

FireVoa

Watched it with my wife 5-7 weeks ago to see what all the fuss was about. I personally didn't like myself but Im not a fan of Bridesmaids or Hangover type movies either so that Im sure doesn't help. But I wasn't a big fan of Ghostbusters to begin with like some fans. The first movie was fun and I did enjoy it a lot but wasn't a fan of the second. Wife laughed quite a bit (especially at Hemsworth) but when I asked her what she rated it she said it was a 6/10 movie to her saying it's a good popcorn flick but she couldn't see herself watching it again. She thought the other two movies were ok as well, not too excited about either or. I'd suggest everyone see it at least once to make up their own minds what they think. The insesent bashing of it during the summer without even watching it was unfounded even if after watching it it was a hit or miss.

Rear Window

Neo Member
Saw this recently. While it was better than I expected, it didn't sit right in some spots.

In the original, the ghostbusters are the ones with a screw loose. The side characters mostly played it straight aside from Rick Moranis, which would be natural. In this one, everybody is weird.

All of the comedians were on point in the original. Even simple lines like "19%? You didn't even bargain with the guy" had me rolling. Or when Ray starts dreaming of his childhood. "Ray has gone bye-bye, Egon… what’ve you got left?".

The new one left you with visual images you would rather not have. Something about slime going in every crack? How did that get past the first draft?

On the positive side McKinnon nailed it. Really funny.

The male receptionist, not funny. What were they thinking? Annie Potts was a billion times better and actually believable.

The budget was just too high for a comedy. Would have been profitable had they kept the budget in check to general expectations on returns.

Last point. The needless deaths. This isn't a dark comedy. The deaths weren't even funny. So why were they there?

One of the deaths happened because one of the Ghostbusters did something reckless. Should be on trial for manslaughter or some such. But nope, let's just forget it ever happened. She's a hero again!

The less I think about this movie the better it gets. The more I think about it the worse it gets.

One of the deaths happened because one of the Ghostbusters did something reckless. Should be on trial for manslaughter or some such. But nope, let's just forget it ever happened. She's a hero again!

Perhaps because they mayor is watching them and he knows they're not frauds and can help him, he makes it go away. But unless that's in the extended cut (which I'm yet to watch) it's unresolved.

Biggest laughs for me were probably the crude stuff like queef joke, water chestnut, "...my pants are toast" shooting the bad guy in the balls and Erin drinking the coffee Kevin spat in. That was a big LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom