• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters |OT| Is it the boobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBiddy

Has it?

I'd expect any woman seen out wearing the new GB outfit this halloween will be subject to drunken verbal or physical abuse. Genuinely, that is the neanderthal mindset of a large portion of the men who hate this movie. It will be seen as a statement or invitation for derision.

My gf loved the film, and wants us to do costumes this year, but I have serious reservations about the idea.

Seriously? You expect your girlfriend to be assaulted, physically or verbally, because she's wearing a Ghostbusters-costume?

groansey

Seriously? You expect your girlfriend to be assaulted, physically or verbally, because she's wearing a Ghostbusters-costume?

At the least, I'd expect people to heckle how much the film sucks all night. They ripped down phone box posters for the movie, and promotional signs in our town centre. Didn't happen with other films.
"They" being the kind of guys that hate on this movie without seeing it, and want everyone to know about it.

Myself and my friends have on three separate occasions been physically/verbally assaulted (not seriously obv) for wearing halloween costumes. That's just market town mentality in the UK.

Sanjuro

Has it?

I'd expect any woman seen out wearing the new GB outfit this halloween will be subject to drunken verbal or physical abuse. Genuinely, that is the neanderthal mindset of a large portion of the men who hate this movie. It will be seen as a statement or invitation for derision.

You must live in The Warriors universe.

How is it?

TBiddy

At the least, I'd expect people to heckle how much the film sucks all night. They ripped down phone box posters for the movie, and promotional signs in our town centre. Didn't happen with other films.
"They" being the kind of guys that hate on this movie without seeing it, and want everyone to know about it.

Myself and my friends have on three separate occasions been physically assaulted (not seriously obv) for wearing halloween costumes. That's market town mentality in the UK.

Jesus. That doesn't sound like a nice place to live. I don't know why people would get that worked up over a movie, or someone wearing costumes for that matter. If it's that bad, I understand your reservations. I honestly didn't expect it to be that bad.

groansey

Jesus. That doesn't sound like a nice place to live. I don't know why people would get that worked up over a movie, or someone wearing costumes for that matter. If it's that bad, I understand your reservations. I honestly didn't expect it to be that bad.

I'm worried I've misrespresented the situation here, but when I say physical assault I mean:

Had a random guy walk up to me and grab the mask I was wearing and forcibly rip it off me.

My mate was dressed as the knight at the end of Indian Jones and the Holy grail with a tray of cups, had a another guy come up to him and slam it out of his hand.

Last one wasn't actually a physical assault, I had a pretty cool costume with lots of prosthesis and these guys came up to me acting all interested in how I'd done it, but then turned aggressive and started asking me if "I was a queer", and not because they wanted a hook-up.

It's not like The Warriors, but Britain's high streets aren't the safest place on a night out.

I'm worried I've misrespresented the situation here, but when I say physical assault I mean:

Had a random guy walk up to me and grab the mask I was wearing and forcibly rip it off me.

My mate was dressed as the knight at the end of Indian Jones and the Holy grail with a tray of cups, had a another guy come up to him and slam it out of his hand.

Last one wasn't actually a physical assault, I had a pretty cool costume with lots of prosthesis and these guys came up to me acting all interested in how I'd done it, but then turned aggressive and started asking me if "I was a queer", and not because they wanted a hook-up.

It's not like The Warriors, but Britain's high streets aren't the safest place on a night out.

i got a glass mug whipped at me from an elevated porch when i was there a long time ago because i was 'murcin

TheWorst

I saw that a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it well enough. Worth seeing just for Kate McKinnon, honestly. I really hope a sequel happens, because think it could be really good if they learned from the problems that this film had.

exactly.

Dude is melting down over nothing.
Melting down. Over nothing.

Two things I see from folks who just NEED to belittle the film, the people involved and the folks who enjoyed it. I've already said, if pointing that out and mocking it makes me a hypocrite, so be it. I don't feel bad about getting upset over shitty behavior vs a dumb, fun movie.

Burbeting

Banned
Saw it today. It was pretty fun comedy, it got some good laughs out of me, and all of the acting performances were quite fun. I did feel that the third arc of the movie was bit too long, and Chris Hemsworth's character was little tacked on, but overall it was a quite solid 3/5 movie for me. I hope it makes its money back.

I think the dynamic between the four leads was quite good, none of them annoyed me with their presence. At first I thought I was going to dislike McKarthy's character, but she actually grew up to me really fast. Kristen Wiig played off her quite well too, even if she was little bit weaker character as the straight woman of the bunch, but she was still quite fun. McKinnon and Jones were just lot of fun to watch, their jokes tended to get laughs out of me the most. Hemsworth felt little tacked on like I said, but he didn't bother me like he seemed to do with some people.

I can't even tell if you're being sarcastic.
Aren't you tired of seeing this

RwHqjjC.jpg

While the male costumes look like this?

The male version even has Krueger's ugly mug while the female version looks like she stepped out of a Cosmo photoshoot.

NimbusD

Has it?

My gf loved the film, and wants us to do costumes this year, but I have serious reservations about the idea.

Lmfao, like a sexy Ghostbusters or any other typical female costume woulddnt 'invite' drunken verbal abuse.

Finally ended up seeing this. After all the hype and hate, I felt like it ended up very middle-of-the-road. I laughed out loud at a few jokes, but there were things that felt pretty lame. I think I actually enjoyed the scenes during the credits more than most of the actual movie. Those jokes worked best because they were efficient. And I thought most of the references to the original movie felt forced. How many times did they say "Class 4 Apparition"?

The male version even has Krueger's ugly mug while the female version looks like she stepped out of a Cosmo photoshoot.
Oh yeah for sure.

Sorry, just can't tell with this thread who is sincere.

The Kruger women's outfit thing is gross as fuck.

First one is a better film.
New one is more enjoyable for me.

I'm glad I don't have to lump them together. The franchise became so much more than the original movie over the years. I don't consider it the Ghostbusters rule of thumb. Watching the cartoons and collecting/messing with the toys for years sort of became the more memorable Ghostbusters experience for me than just the first movie, and the new one is closer in tone and style to what I remember beyond the first movie.

well, you do make remarks about uniforms despite Janine wearing the actual uniform in Ghostbusters 2 (if I'm not mistaken, been a while since I've seen it) and The Real Ghostbusters, meaning any degree of sexualization has literally nothing to do with the movies or cartoons, so you should have seen that one coming.

That doesn't mean other companies don't do that, but the original two movies didn't.
Also cosplay audiences are kind of weird, so seeing inappropriate sexism is not uncommon, if obviously not in good taste. But those are not our tastes, they belong to a specific niche. So different things.

First one is a better film.
New one is more enjoyable for me.
Exactly. As a film, the original is damn near perfect imo. But when I think of Ghostbusters as a thing beyond the film(s), I think of stuff like "How did they make the packs?", "How/why did they get into this stuff?", "What if they become a national/international group?" Etc. This new film tackles these things and can potentially give us more going forward.

But everyone whines that it isn't the original and for some reason the brand shouldn't exist anymore unless they are in charge of casting, script and direction.

well, you do make remarks about uniforms despite Janine wearing the actual uniform in Ghostbusters 2 (if I'm not mistaken, been a while since I've seen it) and The Real Ghostbusters, meaning any degree of sexualization has literally nothing to do with the movies or cartoons, so you should have seen that one coming.

That doesn't mean other companies don't do that, but the original two movies didn't.
Also cosplay audiences are kind of weird, so seeing inappropriate sexism is not uncommon, if obviously not in good taste. But those are not our tastes, they belong to a specific niche. So different things.

Where did I claim the movies were responsible for the sexist Halloween shit?

All I said is that it took this movie for people to make and advertise non sexy costumers for women and girls

Heaven forbid I point out a positive effect this movie had.

Some of you guys need to get off the internet once in a while, or hang out with different people. No one I know outside of gaf gives a shit about this movie and the gender issues behind it, beyond just seeing it and enjoying it. I personally thought it was awful, but that's the end of my thoughts on it. Never gonna see it again, never gonna think about it again. Life goes on, the world keeps turning.

Maximo

Some of you guys need to get off the internet once in a while, or hang out with different people. No one I know outside of gaf gives a shit about this movie and the gender issues behind it, beyond just seeing it and enjoying it. I personally thought it was awful, but that's the end of my thoughts on it. Never gonna see it again, never gonna think about it again. Life goes on, the world keeps turning.

Ahh so no one YOU know cares so that automatically means your word is law? Clearly some people do especially women there is evidence to prove this, yes people in general have been silly about this movie its mediocre at best but this whole comment comes off as silly.

Ahh so no one YOU know cares so that automatically means your word is law? Clearly some people do especially women there is evidence to prove this, yes people in general have been silly about this movie its mediocre at best but this whole comment comes off as silly.

I want to see this movie but like hell am I giving my opinion of it in this thread.

This reboot might have been a gender-related shitstorm while the thing was being made but now the actual film is in the cinema it's just another movie and should be judged as such. The media seems to have moved on already. I'm guessing most people have, too. "Short attention spans of the MTV generation", and all that...

Edwins

... Why did Girl Krueger get into a fight with Wolverine? That's the real question here.

BibiMaghoo

Just watched it, thought it was fair, but not as good as the originals. My main issue with it was tone to be honest. It went with a silly over witty route for the most part, and that isn't my preference for comedy. There were some good jokes mixed in though. I found no fault with the cast themselves, only the script and the way they bounced in the action chops at the end felt a bit off with the rest of it. I'd watch it again to be sure, but a 6/10 first watch.

The claw on the Sexy Kruger costume is like a billion times better looking than the Normal Kruger though

Giant WTF to the slash marks on her stomach, did she cut herself? Just... why

FyreWulff

Went and watched it last week.

Better than GB2, and decent, but man, the last half of the movie it just started wandering around like a mofo. Like the editor went "fuck pacing and spatial timing imma just push these together in Final Cut"

A lot of the Village cinemas nearby have slowly stopped screening it so often each day, checking the lineup some cinemas it's only playing TWICE a day, while there are a few places screening it three times. The maximum being five. The common seems to be three, but this is a big ouch for a film that has barely been out for 3 weeks, while other movies have anywhere from 8 – 14 screenings daily.

A week later and Bourne still has 16!

Finaika

A lot of the Village cinemas nearby have slowly stopped screening it so often each day, checking the lineup some cinemas it's only playing TWICE a day, while there are a few places screening it three times. The maximum being five. The common seems to be three, but this is a big ouch for a film that has barely been out for 3 weeks, while other movies have anywhere from 8 – 14 screenings daily.

A week later and Bourne still has 16!

That's pretty biased.

Skele7on

Banned

why not make a costume, instead of just buying off the shelf, or buy the male and then what you can do is customize it to suit/fit you.....

Hilarious you're so offended, yet won't actually put some time in to make something that you'd actually like/wear.

That's pretty biased.

Well Star Trek still has anywhere from 8 - 12 screenings a day and that's almost at the 2 week window (2 more days!).

Even Batman v Superman still had more screenings per day in a near 3 month period compared to Ghostbusters 2016. And the reception to BvS was almost on par with the Ghostbusters hate.

Finaika

Well Star Trek still has anywhere from 8 - 12 screenings a day and that's almost at the 2 week window (2 more days!).

Even Batman v Superman still had more screenings per day in a near 3 month period compared to Ghostbusters 2016. And the reception to BvS was almost on par with the Ghostbusters hate.

Ghostbusters has far better ratings than BvS too.

Saw the movie this weekend with the girlfriend. Best movie I've seen all year in theaters.

First, the trailers were god awful. From the trailer alone I went in expecting this to be a disaster. Instead I got a movie that while is not as good as the original, it is fairly close to the 2nd. It was funny, it was fun, and extremely entertaining. In my opinion, the new Ghostbusters captured perfectly the essence of the first two, and it's damn fine introduction to the franchise. My girlfriend loved it, and now wants to see the first two movies.

shandy706

Took my daughter this weekend (8). She loved it. Her enjoying it and my time with her was worth it.

The movie, however, is just awful IMO.

It's basically a remake. I thought it was some kind of continuation or same world/time line thing. Looks like I was wrong.

My daughter and I watched the originals the week before we went.

The back and forth with the characters isn't funny at all. Not even slightly. No hyperbole, with a half full theater only one person laughed out loud the entire time. I was incredibly bored 30 minutes in and spent a lot of time watching my daughter's reactions.

It seriously felt like the characters took turns just saying lines as the camera pointed at them at times. As if there was a cut between a lot of the lines.

Then you have the "new"...uh..."weapons". The grenades were kind of neat, but I rolled my eyes at the slow motion matrix/gun/energy whips. I mean, it looked cool...it did look cool...but it destroyed any feel of Ghost Busters for me in the film. Ghost Busters with guns and grenades just sounds silly.

The ending seemed very rushed and silly too. Very sudden, easy, and anticlimactic. I laughed when she jumped in the "portal" to make the rescue.

Sorry to those that enjoyed that/this. I thought it was awful.

noquarter

Went and saw the movie tonight. We gave are daughter the option between this out Star Trek and she chose this. At seven, she really enjoyed it. Think my wife enjoyed it more than she thought she would, but she did comment that she thought the original was funnier. I honestly went not expecting much, I don't really like Feig movies, and it was a little better than I thought it would be.

The movie seemed to rely too much on the original while not actually capturing the feeling of the original. It seemed like they wanted to give a callback to everything about the original movie but felt they had to do something to make it different. The mayor is an example of this that really just annoyed me. Guess he was supposed to be stupid (honestly seemed like everyone who wasn't a Ghostbuster was supposed to be dumb) and really felt that all the scenes with him were pretty bad and slowed down any momentum the movie was getting. Should have just had it brought up in passing that the mayor was going to call them frauds but that they were working for him.

The bad guy also just didn't seem very Ghostbusters like. Gozer and Vigo both setup ways to come back and seemed like they could actually end the world, or at least destroy the city. Rowan really didn't have any weight behind him. He was just a guy that wanted to bring back the dead, no real history there. It might seem cheesy, but at least looking up Sumerian or Carpathian actually gets me somewhere and I can see how Akroyd and co came up with a plot based on those. Rowan has no real history behind him and they really didn't sell it as any kind of threat.

Also not a fan of the weapons. The idea I guess is ok, but they don't get any kind of consistency. I guess the pistol and shotgun use different lasers than the proton packs since the proton packs can't actually 'kill' a ghost but everything else can. Just seemed like they needed to have a way for a big finish and decided to make weapons that allowed for it. I did like seeing the evolution of the proton pack though.

I really didn't find any of it funny. There was a few times that I chuckled, but I think that was mostly at Kevin being dumb. I did actually like Melissa McCarthy in this more than any other movie she has been in. Leslie Jones character is not nearly as bad in the movie as the promos let on. She was actually very good and wish they would have used her more in the movie. Kristen Wiig was pretty good, just don't think I liked her lines or character. I also was bummed that they tried to use the shell of the four original, but they really didn't get any of them right, and besides Patty, didn't really make anyone memorable. Holtzman was like a slapstick Egon, which just didn't work for me. They were also missing someone with Rays love of the paranormal. They tried with Abby, but outside the first encounter, it just didn't seem like she loved the paranormal. Missing someone that was always excited by every encounter and would even be speechless because of it just kept them from selling it to me.

The cameos were all ok. A couple seemed really forced, but was nice to see them.

I'm not sure what I would have wanted this movie to be more, but I am sure I didn't enjoy the way it tried to safely walk the remake but not line. There was just way too much that was from the original to not make comparisons directly to it, and I don't think this version really holds up to the original. There is nothing in this movie nearly as funny or memorable as 'go ahead, tell him about the twinkie.'. No support characters even on Walter Pecks level. No 'history' behind it. I am glad that my seven year old liked it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom