• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters (2016) Trailer #1 (Feig, Wiig, McCarthy, McKinnon, Jones)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai101

Banned
I especially liked the ominous music.

Only one thing missed

rpCiGkc.png

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I never realized Peck wasnt the bad guy. He really was just doing his job, but on the other hand he said the ghostbusters were using gases and fake light shows.

Well the way it went down, Venkman basically goaded him into it. There was no real rules around such a containment device. If Peter hadn't been a complete dick to Peck when he came around the first time, I doubt Peck would've opted to force a shut down.

But since Peter bounced him without allowing an inspection Peck went on a bureaucratic rampage.

Dai101

Banned
Well the way it went down, Venkman basically goaded him into it. There was no real rules around such a containment device. If Peter hadn't been a complete dick to Peck when he came around the first time, I doubt Peck would've opted to force a shut down.

But since Peter bounced him without allowing an inspection Peck went on a bureaucratic rampage.

Completely agree. We all love to hate on Dickless the clown but he was just doing a ruotine inspection. If pete wouldn't have behaved like a douchebag all the climax in the movie wouldn't have happened and they could be still busting ghost without worries.

Also, Who the fuck leaves such a dangerous piece of equipment such the containment unit without several fail-safes? I remember one of the plots of TRGB dealing with it and later equiped it with an built-in emergency generator.

Also, Who the fuck leaves such a dangerous piece of equipment such the containment unit without several fail-safes? I remember one of the plots of TRGB dealing with it and later equiped it with an built-in emergency generator.

Maybe it was protected via failsafes and they just assumed no one would ever just throw the main power switch.

They did the same thing with Fantastic Four (reporting on 4Chan rumors and clickbait news stories) long before the film finished production (they did a 14-part series on it, even), and we all know how that turned out.

The director of F4 himself went public that's how we know.

For every F4 there's a million baseless rumours

NR1

Hi guys,

In response to people not being able to donate last Monday either because time ran out or Kickstarter was rejecting cards we have now set-up a PayPal account to accept donations. To donate and find out more information visit

http://buenoproductions.com/crowdfunder.php

We intend to use the money to create the 4 hour documentary & depending how much raised we would love to upgrade all donators to a steelbook collectors edition.

Thank you for your overwhelming support!

SWEET! 4 hour cut, here we come!

E2E42478-2827-4029-9B27-ABBBC0AD57F9.png.jpeg

judhudson

Got to see the trailer (first trailer) on the big screen in front of 10 Cloverfield Lane this past Saturday. Theater was half-packed.

Sad to say, the impressions from everyone watching it did not seem all that great...Hardly anyone chuckled / laughed at any of the jokes in the trailer. The couple behind me was like "This looks bad"

I'd love to know more about any focus tests they have...I dunno if the general public is gonna eat this up like Sony thinks they will...

And I hope they release that remix of the GB theme...

Got to see the trailer (first trailer) on the big screen in front of 10 Cloverfield Lane this past Saturday. Theater was half-packed.

Sad to say, the impressions from everyone watching it did not seem all that great...Hardly anyone chuckled / laughed at any of the jokes in the trailer. The couple behind me was like "This looks bad"

I'd love to know more about any focus tests they have...I dunno if the general public is gonna eat this up like Sony thinks they will...

And I hope they release that remix of the GB theme...

Same happened at my showing. The only laughter was when the trailer ended, but it was more "What the hell just happened?" than "That looks good." Kinda reminded me of the reaction to Genisys trailers, just not as openly hostile.

Grinchy

Banned
If those lines were in the original there'd be some people lauding them as being classic Ghostbusters quotes.

Well, in all fairness, maybe in 1984, it would have been the first time a movie had the line, "Now that's gonna leave a mark!"

There's just no excuse for that shit in the current year that it is. It's just sloppy writing. Actually, it probably wasn't written. It was probably and ad-lib from McCarthy, who has absolutely no idea what comedy is.

Legit question: how would people generally feel if there was a period joke in the trailer when a great low key line in the original was a period joke

Was that low key period joke in the original GB trailer? If not then I'm not sure it would exactly equate.

I mean jokes are typically put in the trailer because the're quick and easy to communicate and get a cheap laugh to let people know "this is a funny movie." If this hypothetical period joke were to be trailer material then it'd almost certainly be different in tone, style, context, fit than the one in the original.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Was that low key period joke in the original GB trailer? If not then I'm not sure it would exactly equate.

I mean jokes are typically put in the trailer because the're quick and easy to communicate and get a cheap laugh to let people know "this is a funny movie." If this hypothetical period joke were to be trailer material then it'd almost certainly be different in tone, style, context, fit than the one in the original.

I think he refers to this:
Peter Venkman: Ma'am are you currently in your menstrual cycle?
Library Administrator: What's that got to do with it?
Peter Venkman: Back off man, I'm a scientist.

It's not a period joke, not even in the broadest sense of the word, but it's the best I could find.

tkscz

Well, in all fairness, maybe in 1984, it would have been the first time a movie had the line, "Now that's gonna leave a mark!"

There's just no excuse for that shit in the current year that it is. It's just sloppy writing. Actually, it probably wasn't written. It was probably and ad-lib from McCarthy, who has absolutely no idea what comedy is.

I wouldn't say that, just that she is type casted constantly.

Completely agree. We all love to hate on Dickless the clown but he was just doing a ruotine inspection. If pete wouldn't have behaved like a douchebag all the climax in the movie wouldn't have happened and they could be still busting ghost without worries.

The Gozer thing would have still happened no matter what, Dana was still possessed by the gate keeper and Louis was possessed as the key master. Shutting off the containment field only sped up the process. But it was still made somewhat clear earlier in the movie that the undead were rising at greater numbers because of the impending event. Yeah, Peter triggered Walter into shutting their containment unit, but I think things were already going off the rails before that.

I remember one of the earlier episodes where the emergency power generator was failing and they had to connect an exercise bicycle to the generator and get Janine to supply electricity. But yeah, later episodes they had like hand print scanners and stuff as fail safes.

UnrealEck

"You white people may be educated and smart and stuff but just like the originals made decades ago ima be the token black person."

The white members of the team in the original weren't portrayed as one-sided as you might be alluding to.
Bill and Dan's characters were both silly. Ernie's was more like a sensible dude.

I guess if people want to find race issues they'll find them somehow.

Here's a quote from a little background someone wrote on Winston on the original GB's IMDB page:

"As time went by, he became the translator of Ray Stantz's long-winded, jargon-filled explanations of supernatural occurances into simple terms, that they could be understood by normal folk, usually the Mayor of New York, Lenny Clotch."

I know this comment might be a bit late here, but when I first saw the trailer...I didn't think it was terrible. I wasn't exactly thinking this movie would turn out very good, but I thought it looked alright. I think Leslie Jones' character looked like the worst part because of the stereotype loud black woman nonsense, but other than that...it looked like it could be fun.

Few weeks later, and man...I figured there would be some resistance, but the amount of hate and backlash on it, is really quite crazy I think, even to me who is usually the biggest critic when it comes to movies.

I think he refers to this:

It's not a period joke, not even in the broadest sense of the word, but it's the best I could find.

The line is actually, "Are you, Alice, menstruating right now?" and it is absolutely a period joke.

"Not even in the broadest sense of the word" what the heck, do you know what menstruating means? It means being on your period. Venkman is asking/implying that she is on her period because as we all know, women on their periods are prone to hysteria.

Interesting thing to note: the International version of the trailer was attached to Batman v Superman.. so I guess they heard the feedback on the two.

The trailer wasn't very good on the big screen though.

Saw the trailer at BvS.

Theater was packed.

There was some scattered oohing at the spray-paint logo.

A handful of people chuckled at the mosh pit scene.

That was about it for response.

Saw the trailer at BvS.

Theater was packed.

It was a different trailer though. Or at least, it was similar to the first trailer, but with more actual dialogue. Lots of Hemsworth. Crowd seemed a lot more receptive than the general internet reaction.

Saw the trailer at BvS.

Theater was packed.

That was my reaction at home and why I'm willing to watch this. It made me chuckle a few times so sure, why not?

Saw the trailer at BvS.

Theater was packed.

My sold out show didn't seem to care for it, either. Mostly silence throughout. The ending slap (US trailer) was the only thing that got a laugh at all. I've been assuming this would be a big hit. If that was any indication, I might be very wrong.

I'm a bit surprised no other studios are juggling their schedules to counter program Ghostbusters - Central Intelligence, War Dogs or Ben Hur would seem to be good bets to run the same weekend and escape their own sorta crowded schedule dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom