• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters reboot cast announced - McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had they gone with a Poehler/Fey/Tyler trio (with the fourth being up in the air - maybe Emma Stone), I would have been behind this.

As it stands, the small glimmer of hope I had that this wouldn't be Bridesmaids 1.5 has gone right out the door. And a full-on reboot, no less, because they couldn't figure out how to do a contination.

Christ.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
DUDE. If you haven't seen Emperor's New Groove, the next time you have ~90 minutes of free time get on Netflix and watch it. It's fantastic and at the time was unlike anything Disney had ever done before (and kinda still is). It's one of my favorite Disney movies.
TENG is my childhood.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I thought McCarthy was surprisingly versatile in Bridesmaids! Her cameo in This is 40 got a laugh from me as well. *shrug*

pubba

My hyperbolic outburst yesterday in one of these threads is a little embarrassing now. I've had some time to think it through since then..

To the people who are upset at this news, I wonder how many of you are in my age group? I'm in my 40's and the first Ghostbusters was an amazing movie for me on so many levels. It was scary, funny, had amazing effects and a wonderful score. Even now some of the tracks on the soundtrack still give me chills. It's fantastic!

1984 was a very different time. There was no internet and VHS was still not popular where I lived. I was living in a small rural town in Australia and it was a 90 minute drive to the nearest cinema. There were 6 people in my family and we usually went to see family-friendly stuff. Movies were a rare treat and it was a big deal to pile into the family car and make the trip. The local newspaper had the weekly movie lineup and that was about all we had to go on..

For some reason the hype was big for Ghostbusters in my town and my Dad took me along with the crew from his factory to check it out. I think it was my first proper scary movie to be honest. That ghost librarian at the start which segued perfectly into the opening credits? Wow.. I had never seen anything like it! Here was a genuinely funny and frightening movie that had cool geeky tech stuff, pseudo scientific mumbo jumbo, likeable characters and a great story. It wasn't hard to fall in love with it as a dorky 12 year old. The whole package came together perfectly to capture my imagination and kickstart a love of movies.

I've since owned it on VHS, Laserdisc, DVD and now blu Ray. I still watch it at least a few times each year and love showing it to my high school students here in Asia as I've moved around. I've always hoped that they would go back and make a third with the original guys involved, but this has slowly grown more and more unlikely and with the passing of Egon I knew that it just wouldn't be the same.

I know it's irrational to feel so attached to a goofy 80s movie but I figd it hard to express how much I love this series and world. The video game came out a few years ago and gave me some hope.. I thought maybe the guys doing the VO would realise that there's still a chance to pull off another movie but alas..

I just watched Tammy to try and get over my stupid aversion to making this new Ghostbusters movie but Jesus christ it was awful. What's the other movie this woman is in? Heat? Guess I'll queue that one up next and give her another chance. Is her schtick being annoying and ugly? I don't know if I like it.

I had a stoned convo with a friend a few weeks ago about who we would like to see i a Guostbusters movie and we thought of Zach G, Peter Serafinowicz, Dan Acrokyd, Ernie Hudso- oh wait. Gah! I just can't do it...

I was watching GB1 and GB2 last night on Bravo, and I realized how GB2 is actually paced better than GB1, and that it's a lot more re-watchable, too. GB1, while being better, is just a slow burner I've noticed.

Ghostbusters II probably played better on Bravo because with all the commercial breaks, you can appreciate it for the sitcom it is.

Whereas Ghostbusters is an actual movie.

But there are a lot of funny moments in GB2. The scene at Dana's apt is great, with Egon playing with Oscar's toy.

"You mean you've never had a slinky?"

"We had part of a sinky, but I straightened it."

Oh, and the late 80s/early 90s hip hop music.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I just came to the conclusion that I don't give a shit who the actors are. As long as they do a good job and I get more ghost busting shenanigans. There aren't really many movies of that type.

Catiously optimistic.

someday

Banned
My hyperbolic outburst yesterday in one of these threads is a little embarrassing now. I've had some time to think it through since then..

To the people who are upset at this news, I wonder how many of you are in my age group? I'm in my 40's and the first Ghostbusters was an amazing movie for me on so many levels. It was scary, funny, had amazing effects and a wonderful score. Even now some of the tracks on the soundtrack still give me chills. It's fantastic! *snip*

I just watched Tammy to try and get over my stupid aversion to making this new Ghostbusters movie but Jesus christ it was awful. What's the other movie this woman is in? Heat? Guess I'll queue that one up next and give her another chance. Is her schtick being annoying and ugly? I don't know if I like it.

I had a stoned convo with a friend a few weeks ago about who we would like to see i a Guostbusters movie and we thought of Zach G, Peter Serafinowicz, Dan Acrokyd, Ernie Hudso- oh wait. Gah! I just can't do it...

I'm 44 and remember Ghostbusters from my childhood as well. I don't think I put it on the pedestal that many others have though so I'm not as attached to the original, though of course I enjoyed it. I realize having an all female cast changes it on a fundamental level for many guys. As a woman though, I'm thrilled and much more excited about this reboot or whatever it is than I would have been with different dudes playing roles that were already played perfectly in the original. Without changing things up, what really is the point of a remake/reboot? I admit, I'm more than sick of this trend especially when the original was done really well and was beloved. But if we're going to do it, at least do something different with it.

As for McCarthy, I enjoyed Identity Theft. I haven't seen Tammy.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm more or less concerned with the baggage that comes with reboots and their track record. It's very likely to be a poor movie, but I hope to be surprised.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'm somewhat concerned they're gender-changing the entire cast just because and to stir up controversy talk about the movie, but I'll be happy if it'll turn out great as a movie in the end.
Don't know anyone from the cast, which isn't helping :D Not having much faith yet, given pretty much all recent-ish movies based off old, beloved properties.

Will not judge before I saw a trailer though, and I'm hoping it'll be awesome.

Grinchy

Banned
I secretly hope they get Rick Moranis on board to play his character. It doesn't even matter that his character shouldn't exist in this reboot. It would be funny if for no reason at all he was the same guy.

Jigorath

Banned
I love all three of these women but I think you are super, super wrong about who's more popular.

No I'm not and it's not even close. Tina Fey's been on a string of box office bombs for the last four years. She hasn't been in a hit since 2010's Date Night. She's already getting the label of box office poision. Kristen Wiig was in Bridesmaids and Anchorman 2 which were both huge hits. Bridesmaids even garnered Wiig an Oscar nomination. Amy Poehler doesn't even have a film career. There's absolutely no question that Wiig is a bigger box office draw than either of those women.

Yeah, no. You've got that backwards and it's probably not even close.

Seriously, this isn't even an argument. Poehler and Fey don't hold a candle to Wiig when it comes to popularity in movies. If you want to prove me wrong then show me some recent box office numbers.

Without changing things up, what really is the point of a remake/reboot? I admit, I'm more than sick of this trend especially when the original was done really well and was beloved. But if we're going to do it, at least do something different with it.

As for McCarthy, I enjoyed Identity Theft. I haven't seen Tammy.

The thing is, it didn't HAVE to be a reboot. We all wanted a sequel.

Check this out.

I'm reading through the IDW Ghostbusters comics now, and there is an arc where a dude wants in on the Ghostbusting pie. He hires someone to steal the schematics for the proton packs, and he designs his own version. His team is called the Ghost Smashers, and it's a dude and three women. But the catch is the Ghost Smashers don't capture ghosts, they effectively blast them into smithereens.

There's just one problem.

Matter can't be created, OR destroyed. So now all the particles of all the ghosts they've "killed" are floating around NYC. And they're mixing together, and starting to reform, making bigger, meaner, more confused and angry ghosts than before.

I haven't finished reading the arc but I think this is a fucking brilliant idea that could EASILY be adapted into a movie. You have the original team. You have a new team. You have an entirely new concept of ghost extermination and the consequences it brings. Undoubtedly they will wind up teaming up at the end. It's the perfect continuation of the Ghostbusters universe, as well as an amazing passing of the torch story by bringing in the rival Ghost Smashers to the GhostBusters team.

Just one more reason that, as much as I'd like the reboot to be good, Feig's "I just couldn't figure out an interesting way to continue the world that already knew about ghosts" line of thinking for a reboot is beyond fucking lazy.

No I'm not and it's not even close. Tina Fey's been on a string of box office bombs for the last four years. She hasn't been in a hit since 2010's Date Night. She's already getting the label of box office poision. Kristen Wiig was in Bridesmaids and Anchorman 2 which were both huge hits. Bridesmaids even garnered Wiig an Oscar nomination. Amy Poehler doesn't even have a film career. There's absolutely no question that Wiig is a bigger box office draw than either of those women.

Seriously, this isn't even an argument. Poehler and Fey don't hold a candle to Wiig when it comes to popularity in movies. If you want to prove me wrong then show me some recent box office numbers.

I should have said "well known" instead of "popular" I suppose. I know a LOT of people who don't know who the hell Wiig is, but you say Tina Fey or Amy Poehler and they instantly know who they are. Anecdotal I know, but still, it seems I'm not the only one on GAF that feels this is the case. Box office performance of the movies they're in is another thing entirely. People know Bridesmaids, but they don't know the names of the people in it. "Wiig? Who?" "You know, from Bridesmaids?" "Ooooohhhh, yeah!"

I'm not saying it doesn't have jokes that land. Just that it probably plays better on Bravo with all the commercial breaks because it's more sitcommy than anything. It's not a bad sitcom by any stretch. But it's still a significant step down from the first film.

Ghostbusters II starts out pretty well and has some nice moments showing what happened to the Ghostbusters after the aftermath o the first movie. But then it just falls into a familiar groove that the first movie set. It relies to much on the formula of the first movie and just doesn't do enough original to stand out on its own. It did have some good moments though and a great performance by the guy that played Janosz. Honestly it wasn't a terrible sequel, but it couldn't compare to the original. '

Real shame that they cut out a lot of scenes with Rick Moranis though. There were a lot of missing scenes with him trying to capture slimer in the firehouse.

Oh, and the late 80s/early 90s hip hop music.

Ghostbusters II was all about that New Jack Swing. Gotta admit, I love the soundtracks for both movies.

The thing is, it didn't HAVE to be a reboot. We all wanted a sequel.

Check this out.

I'm reading through the IDW Ghostbusters comics now, and there is an arc where a dude wants in on the Ghostbusting pie. He hires someone to steal the schematics for the proton packs, and he designs his own version. His team is called the Ghost Smashers, and it's a dude and three women. But the catch is the Ghost Smashers don't capture ghosts, they effectively blast them into smithereens.

There's just one problem.

Matter can't be created, OR destroyed. So now all the particles of all the ghosts they've "killed" are floating around NYC. And they're mixing together, and starting to reform, making bigger, meaner, more confused and angry ghosts than before.

I haven't finished reading the arc but I think this is a fucking brilliant idea that could EASILY be adapted into a movie. You have the original team. You have a new team. You have an entirely new concept of ghost extermination and the consequences it brings. Undoubtedly they will wind up teaming up at the end. It's the perfect continuation of the Ghostbusters universe, as well as an amazing passing of the torch story by bringing in the rival Ghost Smashers to the GhostBusters team.

Just one more reason that, as much as I'd like the reboot to be good, Feig's "I just couldn't figure out an interesting way to continue the world that already knew about ghosts" line of thinking for a reboot is beyond fucking lazy.

I should have said "well known" instead of "popular" I suppose. I know a LOT of people who don't know who the hell Wiig is, but you say Tina Fey or Amy Poehler and they instantly know who they are. Anecdotal I know, but still, it seems I'm not the only one on GAF that feels this is the case. Box office performance of the movies they're in is another thing entirely. People know Bridesmaids, but they don't know the names of the people in it. "Wiig? Who?" "You know, from Bridesmaids?" "Ooooohhhh, yeah!"

Dude that story arc is brilliant! Its a shame IDW have stopped the comic line - i noticed on here someone posted the TMNT/Ghostbusters cross over as a gibe about how bad the comics were - they are a one shot arc, a bit of fun for the send off of the comic line, like when Marvel and DC do what if's

The IDW comic has been brilliant, The arc you mention gets so much better and the end result is a very diverse GB team including, Kylie from Extreme ghostbusters, the orignal busters (as a more mentor role) and others (trying to avoid spoilers)
Its the ideas from this, Extreme Ghostbusters and the video Game are what i wanted to continue the GB franchise and i find it a shame that that mythology will end

I'm more optimistic with this than i was with the original news, i'm happy the franchise is being revived some more, still not 100% on the cast but i realise the script is what matters so i really hope someone delivers a great one.

If this does well i suppose there is hope IDW could renew the comic line have it as a half and half, new and old buster stories, and other GB related media could be produced

its just if this goes south i wonder will it be the death of the franchsie for 30 years again?

RE GBII...it was poor by comparison but its still a great movie and better than most comedies produced in a long time

I need to get in on this, is it the IDW ongoing series?

http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Ghostbusters_IDW_Ongoing_Series

Bluth54

Yeah that's it. I highly recommend the monthly series to anyone who likes Ghostbusters. They also made some mini series before the monthly series, most of those weren't that great though (I think there was a holiday themed mini series that was decent).

From what I've seen though the monthly series has been cancelled, and the only Ghostbusters thing IDW is still working on is a Ghostbusters/TMNT crossover miniseries.

Yep. It's been released as single issues (16 in Vol 1, 20 in Vol 2), 9 trade paperbacks, and a hardcover called Total Containment that collects the entire 16 issues of the first volume with a forward by Ernie Hudson. It was just announced on Jan 30th that a second hardcover, Mass Hysteria, will release collecting all 20 issues of the second volume, and have a forward by Dan Aykroyd.

The IDW comics count the first two movies, the video game, and one other GB comic (Displaced Aggression, available in a trade paperback called Ghostbusters: Omnibus with two other one-shot stories) as cannon.

It is absolutely phenomenal. I cannot praise it enough. Total Containment's MSRP is $50 but Amazon typically has it for around $35.

I actually thought that the writer had chosen to end it after the second volume, but I just read it was actually cancelled, and the cancellation times up with around the time last year it came to light that Feig would be rebooting Ghostbusters with his all-female cast. I can deal with the movie existing, as much as it bothers me to do away with the continuity set up in the first two, but if the reboot kills stories in the original continuity from happening in comics or other forms of media, due to some concern over brand/market confusion, I will be beyond furious. If the leaked Sony emails suggested that the Feig reboot could coexist with Channing Tatum's reboot idea, then they'd better fucking leave classic GB comics alone.

DeathyBoy

Banned
McCarthy isn't bad. She was great in Gilmore Girls, does solid work in Mike & Molly, and can be funny... but Hollywood loved Bridesmaids, and have decided that is the only sort of humour she can do. They did it to Carrey, Murphy et al too - you get typecast, and that's all people want from you.

hokahey

People are going to be eating a lot of crow on this cast. As an avid SNL fan, I've seen what these women are capable of. Including McCarthy, who was excellent as a host. With the proper writing, this cast is outstanding.

I don't understand people trying so hard to convince others that an all female group is a perfect idea.

My opinion, is that I'm not interested, especially in McCarthy. People here should be mature enough to respect that.

MMaRsu

Banned
People are going to be eating a lot of crow on this cast. As an avid SNL fan, I've seen what these women are capable of. Including McCarthy, who was excellent as a host. With the proper writing, this cast is outstanding.

But personally I find SNL terrible and outside the US i dont think SNL is popular either. Ive watched a few sketches with the cast from this new GB movie but i just had a blank stare on my face, it was cringeworthy stuff.

I don't understand people trying so hard to convince others that an all female group is a perfect idea.

Nobody's doing that though.

I actually thought that the writer had chosen to end it after the second volume, but I just read it was actually cancelled, and the cancellation times up with around the time last year it came to light that Feig would be rebooting Ghostbusters with his all-female cast.

It's likely because that comic didn't sell well enough for IDW to continue holding the license.

Farmboy

It's a valid one, though. I also like that they went at least a little out of the box with the casting.

McKinnon in particular is an inspired choice. Anyone who still watches/endures SNL on occasion can attest to the fact that she can singlehandedly save failing comedy sketches through sheer force of will.

Grinchy

Banned
McCarthy is the anti-comedy. She is where laughter goes to die.

Yup. She's actually good at drama, but I'll never understand how someone so unfunny has been typecast as a comedic actor.

Look at a movie like Identity Thief. It's insufferable while she's being "funny" and then it almost becomes a watchable movie once she transforms into a real person later on. Her brand of "comedy" is just torturous to watch.

How many times can people watch her poorly singing along to an old song while in a car before they realize there's no joke there? Do they even know what they're laughing at?

My opinion, is that I'm not interested, especially in McCarthy. People here should be mature enough to respect that.

I think what gets people riled up is when detractors just come out and go, "Women? This'll automatically suck." There are plenty of other reasons to think this'll suck, but to just dismiss it because of women is kind of a shitty reason, so I can see why people would get defensive.

It's likely because that comic didn't sell well enough for IDW to continue holding the license.

Unless it comes out otherwise, this is what I will choose to believe. Gotta keep my blood pressure in check.

Yet they obviously still hold the license since they're doing that GB/TMNT crossover... *grumble*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom