• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters (2016) Trailer #1 (Feig, Wiig, McCarthy, McKinnon, Jones)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this film isn't trying to do what that film did outside of very general plot similarities.

Also that film had a ghost suck Aykroyd's dick, as has been mentioned before.

Boobs joke/hot secretary is probably a little more reserved, honestly, than say, the running joke of Venkman trying to fuck his students/fuck his customer and Stantz getting Ecto-head.

The ghost dick suck joke was an odd inclusion. It was suppose to be part of a deleted sequence that involved the Ghostbusters visiting a historical tourist attraction in a national park (look at the room in the scene, it has velvet ropes everywhere), and one of the ghosts that is haunting the place seduces Ray. I guess they left that one bit in as a non sequitur joke for the montage.

But that was a single throwaway joke. The Hemsworth character looks like he might be set up as a one note joke character before be turns bad. But it could still be too early to say.

And yeah, Peter Venkman was a sleazy conman type that would try to fuck his students, but that was building up his character. Which was later shot down by Dana as none of his tactics worked on her at all.

And yeah, Peter Venkman was a sleazy conman type that would try to fuck his students, but that was building up his character. Which was later shot down by Dana as none of his tactics worked on her at all.

No, it worked. He fucked her. They had a kid.

I mean, you can rationalize this shit, and I get why. It's not like the character doesn't work as a sleazy gameshow host. He absolutely does. But trying to set up an A/B comparison doesn't really get you where you want to go on this, partially because we don't have the context of the actual movie in the reboot's case, and partially because the original movie has its own strange sexual politics at play that make any sort of claim to moral superiority on that front a little sketchy.

Explaining the behind-the-scenes reasoning behind the blowjob joke staying in doesn't mean there isn't a blowjob joke in the movie. Next to a cunnilingus joke. Next to a movie-long running joke about a professor trying to fuck his students/customers.

It's gonna be awhile before we can seriously set the two side-by-side and break down what each film was aiming for and what it succeeded/failed at.

Pretty sure Oscar is not Venkman's kid.

You sure? It's been awhile (like, a decade-plus) since I watched GBII but I thought it was implied that kid was his? I'm fuzzy on the whole good-bad (dad) thing.

I'm pretty solid on it being implied they got together between movies, though.

regardless my potential fart of the brain there - the larger point still basically stands. Venkman is a fuckin sleazebag. Granted, that's part of his charm, but to look at the international trailer and be like "why the salivating over the secretary" when our introduction to Venkman is him electrocuting a student as a means to fuck the other student seems incongruous, to me.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
You sure? It's been awhile (like, a decade-plus) since I watched GBII but I thought it was implied that kid was his? I'm fuzzy on the whole good-bad (dad) thing.

No, Oscar wasn't Venkman's kid. She had the kid with some other guy.

TSM

It's not really fair to focus on Bill Murray and his role in Ghostbusters and compare it to anything in the remake. He was a comedic actor that you could let improvise most of his scenes and he'd legitimately make your movie better. I don't even think there exists a modern day equivalent. Bill Murray energized Ghostbusters and was the engine that made it go. People may like the four women making the new film, but none of them are anywhere near Bill Murray's league. That fact alone will make the new movie come off feeling lesser.

You don't like Rocky?

XQT0V.gif

The kid wasn't his but they totally fucked. There's no way they didn't fuck. After the first movie and the second.

I always thought it was kind of a missed opportunity for Oscar to not be a demon. Maybe GBII was too soon since he was just an infant but if they'd ever done a GBIII with him joining the group, a good arc for him would have been that he's a demon and he has to fight his demonic calling or something, throw a little Hellboy in there. Cause, I mean, it's pretty apparent that Dana and Louis fucked while they were possessed by Zuul and Vinz. Maybe the guys doing the IDW series will spin that into a story at some point (I can't remember if they did anything with Oscar in the comics yet). It would be a super easy retcon IMO.

No, it wasn't. Not really.

This was tried earlier in the thread, but the idea that Ghostbusters is a "reserved" kind of movie doesn't really make sense. Maybe the word "sophisticated" is a better match there, but even then, it's harder to gauge the level of sophistication being used in executing some of the jokes in this news Ghostbusters because we don't have the either the jokes, or the context surrounding them.

For me it certainly feels more reserved than ghosts throwing up in a comedic fashion or that possession scene. The content wasn't low-key, but the execution was. At least to me. That blowjob part is really the only part that felt over the top, which is why it comes across as jarring to many because compared to the rest of the movie it was out of place-- due to the execution of the rest of the movie.

The way the original was shot, how it looked and felt, was more subtle in a sense regardless of content, and this definitely comes across as a more gag-driven comedy. The original Ghostbusters had blatant sexual and other such comedy, but the way it was handled feels very different. Reserved? I dunno, I guess in the way it looks.

Jonm1010

Banned

regardless my potential fart of the brain there - the larger point still basically stands. Venkman is a fuckin sleazebag. Granted, that's part of his charm, but to look at the international trailer and be like "why the salivating over the secretary" when our introduction to Venkman is him electrocuting a student as a means to fuck the other student seems incongruous, to me.
I dont think it was his kid. I just caught the movie again the other week on some cable network and the conversation seems to be they broke up because Venkman is an asshole. She married, had a kid and then divorced.

VENKMAN
So what happened to Mr. Right? I hear he
ditched you and the kid and moved to Europe.

DANA
He didn't "ditch" me. We had some problems,
he got a good offer from an orchestra in
England and he took it.

VENKMAN
He ditched you. You should've married me,
you know.

DANA
You never asked me, and every time I brought
it up you'd get drowsy and fall asleep.

VENKMAN
Men are very sensitive, you know. We need to
feel loved and desired, too.

DANA
Well, when you started introducing me as "the
old ball and chain," that's when I left.

A few moments later....
VENKMAN
(picking up the baby)
Okay, kid. Up you go.

He starts clowning with the baby, holding him over his head and pressing
his nose into the baby's belly, pretending that the baby is attacking
him.​

VENKMAN
Help! Please somebody help me! Get him off!
Quickly! He's gone completely berserk!

Dana is amused and somewhat disarmed by Venkman's rapport with the baby.​

DANA
What do you think?

VENKMAN
There's no doubt about it. He's got his
father's looks. The kid is ugly -- extremely
ugly. And smelly.
(resumes playing with the baby)
You stink! It's just horrible. You are the
stinkiest baby I ever smelled.
(to Dana)
What's his name?

DANA
His name is Oscar.

VENKMAN
Oscar! You poor kid!

DANA
(losing patience)
Peter, this is serious. I need to know if you
think there's anything unusual about him.

VENKMAN
Unusual?
(holds up the baby and
scrutinizes him)
I don't know. I haven't had a lot of
experience with babies.

I dont think it was his kid.

Nah, we established I fucked that detail up about a half hour ago.

For me it certainly feels more reserved than ghosts throwing up in a comedic fashion or that possession scene. The content wasn't low-key, but the execution was. At least to me. That blowjob part is really the only part that felt over the top, which is why it comes across as jarring to many because compared to the rest of the movie it was out of place-- due to the execution of the rest of the movie.

It still seems like what you're reaching for isn't reservation, but sophistication. The movie isn't reserved very much at all. But it is sophisticated about how it goes over the top. It still goes over the top though.

The blowjob isn't that over the top, or even all that incongruous, I don't think. It's notable, because it's a ghost giving that dude from Saturday Night Live head. But there's a lot of goofy shit in there that can't be explained away as "reserved," especially in a movie that ends with a pair of dogs doing the bidding of ElectriSheena Easton while a giant marshmallow man stomps out New York City.

Dont need to be passive aggressive about it..

That wasn't passive aggressive. I'm telling you that I fucked up the detail. We already went over it and I apologized. There's nothing passive about it. It's pretty direct.

You should probably just put me on ignore, dude. This is like the third or fourth really weird overreaction to my addressing you in a conversation that you've had recently, and it's fucking befuddling.

I don't have any problems with you, man. I don't know why you react to my responses like I'm trying to run your jewels or something.

It still seems like what you're reaching for isn't reservation, but sophistication. The movie isn't reserved very much at all. But it is sophisticated about how it goes over the top. It still goes over the top though.

More reserved by comparison? And of course I'm drawing comparisons to specific things here. I have no idea how the entire film will play out. But to me, cutting away from Slimer making contact with Peter, and Ray finding him slimed, is much more reserved/showing more restraint than the full-on vomiting that happens to Gilbert. It's a clear difference in how the visual gag is handled, so that's why I'm saying, to me anyway, the original was more "reserved" in how it handled some-- but perhaps not all-- of its content.

More reserved by comparison? And of course I'm drawing comparisons to specific things here. I have no idea how the entire film will play out. But to me, cutting away from Slimer making contact with Peter, and Ray finding him slimed, is much more reserved/showing more restraint than the full-on vomiting that happens to Gilbert. It's a clear difference in how the visual gag is handled, so that's why I'm saying, to me anyway, the original was more "reserved" in how it handled some-- but perhaps not all-- of its content.

I can see that, yeah, but I guess the degrees of reservation at play don't necessarily equate to the whole movie being considered as "reserved." It's pretty loud and out there. It's fun as hell in ways that are bold and right up front, which is probably why so many little boys latched onto it as hard as they did in the 80s/early 90s.

But yeah, as of right now, comparing the two trailers we've got to semi-similar gags in the original movie, it appears as if the level of sophistication in the execution might be lacking. But I'm gonna reserve (ehh? EHHHHHHH? HEYYYYYY) full judgment on that until this summer.

I thought it was common sense Dana ended up with the musician from the first film.

That stiff?

But yeah, as of right now, comparing the two trailers we've got to semi-similar gags in the original movie, it appears as if the level of sophistication in the execution might be lacking. But I'm gonna reserve (ehh? EHHHHHHH? HEYYYYYY) full judgment on that until this summer.

Yeah-- I don't mean to say it was a reserved movie in general, just the way it was handled compared to the style of execution on display in the trailers for GB'16. And honestly I've gotten over it, it may even work in the context of the overall film, I'm just articulating why I think the humor isn't working for the people who are outspoken toward it. There is a clear difference in style. I was one of those at first especially in relation to the vomiting and possession, but after the dust has settled I simply have to wait to see how it all plays out.

Jonm1010

Banned
That wasn't passive aggressive. I'm telling you that I fucked up the detail. We already went over it and I apologized. There's nothing passive about it. It's pretty direct.

You should probably just put me on ignore, dude. This is like the third or fourth really weird overreaction to my addressing you in a conversation that you've had recently, and it's fucking befuddling.

I don't have any problems with you, man. I don't know why you react to my responses like I'm trying to run your jewels or something.
I apologize if I mis-read your response as being dismissive or passively aggressive, like I said, I was only trying to help.

But trying to set up an A/B comparison doesn't really get you where you want to go on this, partially because we don't have the context of the actual movie in the reboot's case, and partially because the original movie has its own strange sexual politics at play that make any sort of claim to moral superiority on that front a little sketchy. Explaining the behind-the-scenes reasoning behind the blowjob joke staying in doesn't mean there isn't a blowjob joke in the movie. Next to a cunnilingus joke. Next to a movie-long running joke about a professor trying to fuck his students/customers. It's gonna be awhile before we can seriously set the two side-by-side and break down what each film was aiming for and what it succeeded/failed at.

For me it has nothing to do with the humor itself, sure there are a few sex jokes that made it into Ghostbusters. Not surprising, given that this came out of the SNL/ Second City group of the early '80's. But the trailers for the new Ghostbusters movie seems to play on character stereotypes much harder than the originals did. This is where my problem with Chris Hemsworth's character comes in.

But you're right, it's hard to compare the two movies directly when all we have seen are two variations of the same movie trailer at this point. The reboot might still end up surprising people for all we know. But what we have seen from the trailers, the characters seem to be leaning a bit too far into cliched stereotypes.

I will take this opportunity to admit that until I saw someone complain about it here, I had no idea that "in every crack" line from GB16 was referencing her vagina. It's so obvious in retrospect but it flew right over my head the first few times I watched it.

I will take this opportunity to admit that until I saw someone complain about it here, I had no idea that "in every crack" line from GB16 was referencing her vagina. It's so obvious in retrospect but it flew right over my head the first few times I watched it.

I assumed she was talking about her butt crack. I'll just keep pretending that's what she meant.

I assumed she was talking about her butt crack. I'll just keep pretending that's what she meant.

It's an all female cast in a movie directed by Paul Feig. It's going to be almost exclusively crude, woman-related humor. If someone says crack, they mean vagina.

Jonm1010

Banned
The more I hear the less I'm interested and I was kinda looking forward to it before the trailer and alleged vagina comments.

What is all this hoopla and seeming outrage over the vagina comment?

The international trailer seemed like a step up but I am still skeptical how well this will ultimately be even with a seemingly solid director behind it.

daviyoung

Banned
Oh for fuck's sake, it means the goo went everywhere. Why would she say "every" if she just meant her butt crack? It should have been "every crevice" but that's a big word and the movie treats its audience as morons and judging by this conversation it ain't wrong.

Finaika

I thought she was talking about her cleavage?

liquidtmd

Banned
Legit question: how would people generally feel if there was a period joke in the trailer when a great low key line in the original was a period joke

Keihart

Just saw Creed...if only there were more Stallones for long running series to keep them familiar and fresh at the same time...

Legit question: how would people generally feel if there was a period joke in the trailer when a great low key line in the original was a period joke

Personally, it has more to do with the tone of the movie and the delivery of the jokes than the actual content.

The original Ghostbusters had some crude humor in it too, but it was never delivered or filmed as a straight up comedy. They were executed in a straight or almost deadpan manner. The new Ghostbusters seems to just be slap-stick sillyness all around.

I guess for a Reboot, they can change direction all they like, but it just feels like it is cheapening the license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom