• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters reboot cast announced - McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Status
Not open for further replies.

RELIGHT

Banned
All female ghostbusters is so fucking stupid. Do they not understand that the Ghostbusters were supposed to be essentially like pest control? How many hot women work in pest control or extermination or anything along those lines? This defeats the whole point of the original concept. If they want to have a female scientist leading the team or have some low class girl join the field team to make money fine but just recasting everyone to an all female team is fucking irritating.

Thanks for ruining my favorite franchise bill murray

Lol

Love Wiig, love McKinnon, love Jones, love McCarthy. This is going to be amazing.

And Kate McKinnon is the best SNL cast member since Wiig, so I'm really happy that they'll be working side by side.

Joni

I think it is also important to focus on the international aspects which may cause this shift to the sequel side. American Sniper made a bit more than $200.000.000 already in the United States. A close recent comparison would be The Hobbit 3, which made $250.000.000. It is a bit more for a movie that cost way more. It makes sense to make American Sniper. American Sniper however only brings in another $50 million on the international market. It is a recent movie so it will rise, but it won't be a meaningful amount. The Hobbit 3 has made more than $600 million. Those small personal movies have a bad tendency to 'flop' internationally as they are not at all personal to an international audience.

We have gone from roughly 12% of blockbusters being sequels in the mid-90s to roughly 53% today. That's four times as many as there used to be. And these are not high quality affairs, as you note below:
How does that compare to the total number of blockbusters and the average quality of those movies?

Wasn't ackroyds original idea set in space with a bunch of other Ghostbusters? The director came on and suggested modern day set in NYC.

The original concept, from what I recall, was that the Ghostbusters were actually a group of people who took care of abnormal activity throughout spacetime. They were like a transdimentional clean-up crew for when things went sideways. StayPuft, for example, was just one of MANY creatures they fought in the original draft, and was one of the smaller monsters at that. I'd love to see/read it someday, I feel like it's different enough from what we got to be its own movie, especially with the technology we have now. Lemme see if I can find anything on it...

Here we go:

Set in the future - not far in the future - but far enough. It took place on a number of different planets or dimensional planes. It was more eerie in tone, and there was a lot more of action and very little character work.

The Ghostbusters were essentially $10,000-a-year janitors who worked for someone else and really had no technical expertise whatsoever.

There really was no difference between the characters. Stantz and Venkman and Ramsey -- the character who eventually was changed to Winston -- were all essentially the same.

The entire finale was an involved series of events which culminated with the three Ghostbusters being whisked into alternate dimensions.

The Ectomobile was an all-black, rather sinister-looking machine with flashing white and purple strobe lights that gave it a strange, ultraviolet aura.

In the opening sequence, the Ghostbusters respond to a call from the Greenville Guest House regarding the discovery in the kitchen of gluttonous yellow mist of grotesquely altered human form -- a "FRVP" or "free-repeating vaporous phantasm" in ghostbusting lingo. After chasing the apparition -- described as "onion-headed" at one point -- through the rustic guest home, the Ghostbusters corner it in the basement, encircle it with nutrona beams and maneuver it into a small collapsible trap.

The Ectomobile is equipped with an advanced dematerializing capability that allows its operators, functioning somewhat outside the law, to readily elude police pursuit.

The spectral storage facility was not at the firehouse itself, but rather in a deserted Sunoco gas station in northern New Jersey, taken over by the Ghostbusters and surreptitiously converted into a holding cell for wayward spirits.

The root of New York's widespread psychic disturbances lay in the fact that a "Zuul" -- a generic term for the other-dimensional creature which would later evolve into the Terror Dogs -- had somehow strayed out of its rightful time and place and was being held captive by the Ghostbusters' employer, himself a transdimensional being. Unfortunately, the Zuul happened to be a favored pet of the all-powerful Gozer -- absolute ruler of the sixth dimension -- who, it seemed, would stop at nothing to recover it.

One of the many supernatural manifestations was a skeletal biker who has been terrorizing the residents of a small upstate town.

Shandor was the name of the Ghostbusters' interdimensional employer -- a decided eccentric whose walls were lined with mounted trophy heads taken from such challenging big game as bats, rats and lobsters. Though Shandor was invariably to be found sequestered in his darkened office, perched on a swivel armchair and covered entirely by a near-opaque mosquito bonnet, no one seemed to suspect that there might be anything inherently out of the ordinary about him. Shandor was dropped altogether from the second and third drafts, but resurfaced in the third -- in name only -- with an even more unsavory background than that suggested by the final shooting script.

When the accidental release of the Ghostbusters' incarcerated spirits triggers a twenty-five-acre sinkhole around their gas station storage facility. The sinkhole, in turn, disrupts a long-inactive fault line which somehow transforms most of northern New Jersey into a blazing inferno.

Gozer was described as looking like Bert Parks.

The Stay-Puft man appeared just slightly past the midway point as but one of several Gozer manifestations.

Awesome. Aykroyd is such a nut, hahahaha.

Edit: And here's even more. This is amazing, I knew about the project but I've never thought to look online for more detailed info.

?

Have you seen American Sniper box office numbers? I think Hollywood has zero issues churning out story telling and characterizations in movies. I do not see evidence that they value spectacle more. I think we know there's plenty of diversity to go around to appease different types of audiences. I am also not sure audiences do value these personal movies more. How do we quantify that?

American Sniper is an adaptation of a book. Still not an original story. And one that was only pushed through because they scored Bradley Cooper and originally Spielberg. Much like Interstellar, the things that pushes these original projects through is when a director gains enough cachet working on other projects - Nolan had to do three Batman films - that a studio is willing to let them rock an original picture.

Otherwise, you have sequels, remakes, and adaptations from other media. You essentially reinforced his point.

tkscz

This can work if Feig can do more than his normal schtick. Brides Maids and The Heat weren't bad, they are actually really funny, but Ghost Busters a completely different kind of funny from those two movies. Bridesmaids and The Heat got most of their comedy from the situation they build up and how the characters reacted to it, more than character interaction (Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy do not mix). A lot of Ghost Busters' comedy came from character interaction, even during the situations they were in. No matter what ghost they were catching, they would always have such a damned entertaining conversation while doing it, not so much with The Heat, though better in Bridesmaids. If he could give the actors more character and interaction than his normal foray, this could end up being as good as the first one. I can totally see these actresses mixing well (Unlike Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy).

I don't care that the cast are actresses, I care that Jones is horrifically unfunny and I haven't seen mccarthy give a shit about a role since gilmore girls. Combine this with Fieg's spotty track record and this isn't looking so hot.

All of a sudden?

There wasn't this kind of backlash when they were talking about rebooting it before.

That's because they were never going to reboot it before. Every potential version of Ghostbusters 3 for the past 25 years that I know of has been either another story with the original cast (Hell on Earth) or a passing of the torch story (Ghostbusters Inc).

But yes, even the passing of the torch rumors got people bothered. Every Ghostbusters 3 thread for the past 5-10 years on GAF has had people flipping out saying "If you can't get everyone back, shut the damn thing down" in it and bitching about the potential casting for the New Hires.

Honestly some of you people need to leave gaf and go on prop making forums, movie forums ,sci fi/fandom forums or the rather large GBfans, there is literally hundreds of threads from various bits of news on the third film and each one a nearly 50/50 split of "OMG FINALLY" or "DON'T RUIN MY CHILDHOOD" TYPE POSTS -

WordAssassin summarises it very well, previously all the previous drafts of a third film have been a direct sequel, a draft of which made it to be the story of Ghosbusters the game (incorporating ideas of Akroyd on dimension travelling)

its probably why this has blown up as it has, for years and years we've had information on GB3 saying scripts were written and that Ramis, Akroyd & Hudson were on board, lots of info on Murray wheeling out his no sequels line, then saying he'd seen a good script, then teasing on awards ceremonies in costume, then saying no again etc etc

It even got to the point where it was in pre-production (supposedly) before Ramis died, after that Akroyd and co said they'd re write the script, then they said don't do anything without him, then it was muddled and supposedly Paul Feig had been brought in to direct the sequel after Ivan said he couldn't do it (direct) without Raimis......

Then info on supposedly an all female reboot came trickling out to fan forums from people in the industry, it had this sort of negative reaction, but was dismissed as perhaps worst case scenario thinking and jibes at Feig only doing female cast films

Then obviously the public announcements has brought out the fans, but also the average joe's who weren't aware of any of this

I'm willing to reserve judgement, i might not like McCarthy or her type of comedy, but with the right script even a bad actor can be amazing.......Very unkeen on a complete reboot, always loved the franchise idea, and setting this long after the originals could work and open the door for some nice cameo's, but i'll wait till more script leaks (the whole dinklage ghost sounds very bland, and the you tube critic idea makes it sounds like its going to be covert, less public more of an urban myth...) and a Trailer before i really dismiss this

I suppose a "silver lining" to this is we'll get more Ghostbuster merchandise, new stuff and "classic" stuff! you can never have too much Ghostbusters merchandise (i should know i have...a lot)

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
So the real questions are...

- Will they completely change the logo, modify it, or leave it be?
- Will they keep Ray Parker Jr's song or will they use a Sony contracted singer to make a new song or remix of the classic one?
- Will they still use a car called Ecto-1? If yes, what car company will shell out the most cash to get their 2017 vehicle front and center?

- Will they keep Ray Parker Jr's song or will they use a Sony contracted singer to make a new song or remix of the classic one?
- Will they still use a car called Ecto-1? If yes, what car company will shell out the most cash to get their 2017 vehicle front and center?

- Even with all the changes they're making I cannot fathom them changing the "No Ghosts" logo. Incomprehensible.
- If they use the theme at all I'd assume they're make a new recording of it, much like they did for Ghostbusters 2. I don't mean this in any kind of derogatory way but in keeping with the all-female team I could see them having a female artist record a version of it.
-Feig has said there will be no Ecto 1. I can't find the quote for some reason but I'm sure I read that there would be no Ecto 1 at some point last year, I think around the time or a bit before the Peter Dinklage thing came out.

Unit 33

I also don't know who these people are, but that's okay.
It might even improve the cinema experience.

The worry I have is that the film will be Ghostbusters 1984 and deviate only in casting and some shinny SFX. Ah whatever, selling nostalgia never hurt anyone.
It did.

Gorthaur

Banned
Won't somebody please think of the dancing toaster?

Toaster.gif

I'll see it, and I'll probably like it, but I still wish the cast were a mix of men and women. Even if the reboot were with an all-male lineup, I'd be saying the same thing. There's no reason it has to be a team of four people of one gender.

Other than that, I just hope the script isn't full of parallels and references to the original film. That's a trend I really hate in reboots. If you want to start fresh, start fresh.

Hollywood is devoid of any originality, people want fresh ideas.... not rehashing or rebooting old one's.
I mean, I say the exact same thing you do..but people are going out to see this garbage (not this movie in particular) regardless. Why stop? When assess stop filling seats, there will be change..till then, poor poor Hollywood.

uDiNU.gif

Other than that, I just hope the script isn't full of parallels and references to the original film. That's a trend I really hate in reboots. If you want to start fresh, start fresh.

I said this ages ago when the rumour first surfaced, since it's a reboot they need everything to be new, no call backs to the original. This means find a new location for Ghostbusters HQ, no Marshmellow man, no Slimer, a different vehicle other than the Ecto-1, create a new proton pack and trap for ghost hunting/catching. And most important of all no Ray Parker JR Ghostbusters theme.

Oh and while I am at it, create a new ghostbusters logo for 2016.

4 years cherry-picked out of the past 34? Seriously?

Those years aren't cherry picked as they are all ten years apart from each other. But yeah, just selecting four years in the span of 3.5 decades isn't really conclusive enough. But looking BoxOfficeMojo worldwide numbers for the last four years:

1. Toy Story 3 -sequel
2. Alice in Wonderland (2010) -adaption
3. Iron Man 2 -sequel
4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 -adaption
5. Inception -original movie
6. Shrek Forever After -sequel
7. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse -adaption
8. Iron Man 2 -sequel
9. Tangled -adaption
10. Despicable Me -original movie

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 -sequel
2. Transformers: Dark of the Moon -sequel
3. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides -sequel
4. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 -sequel
5. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol -sequel
6. Kung Fu Panda 2 -sequel
7. Fast Five -sequel
8. The Hangover Part II -sequel
9. The Smurfs -adaption
10. Cars 2 -sequel

1. Marvel's The Avengers -adaption
2. Skyfall -sequel
3. The Dark Knight Rises sequel
4. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey -adaption
5 .Ice Age: Continental Drift -sequel
6. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 -sequel
7. The Amazing Spider-Man -adaption
8. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted -sequel
9. The Hunger Games -adaption
10. MIB 3 -sequel

1. Frozen -adaption... maybe?
2. Iron Man 3 -sequel
3. Despicable Me 2 -sequel
4. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug -sequel
5. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire -sequel
6. Fast & Furious 6 -sequel
7. Monsters University -sequel
8. Gravity -original movie
9. Man of Steel -adaption
10. Thor: The Dark World -sequel

1. Transformers: Age of Extinction -sequel
2. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies -sequel
3. Guardians of the Galaxy -adaption
4. Maleficent -adaption
5. X-Men: Days of Future Past -sequel
6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier -sequel
7. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 -sequel
8. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 -sequel
9. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes -sequel
10. Interstellar -original movie

3 original movies, 15 adaptions and 33 sequels. If we take out the CGI kids movies then there would only be two original movies on this list, both oddly made by Christopher Nolan. Now granted, these are worldwide numbers and the global market tends to sway to more familiar things, so if you were to look at the domestic numbers (AKA: North American), you would see a little more in the way of "original" movies. But not much more.

When you look only at the top 10 numbers for each year, there definitely seems like less original movies being released in general. Nut when you look at the full year lists, the original films tend to be much lower on the lists in general.

- Will they keep Ray Parker Jr's song or will they use a Sony contracted singer to make a

New remix performed by Iggy Azalea featuring [insert no name music artist here].

I said this ages ago when the rumour first surfaced, since it's a reboot they need everything to be new, no call backs to the original. This means find a new location for Ghostbusters HQ, no Marshmellow man, no Slimer, a different vehicle other than the Ecto-1, create a new proton pack and trap for ghost hunting/catching. And most important of all no Ray Parker JR Ghostbusters theme.

Oh and while I am at it, create a new ghostbusters logo for 2016.
Just rename it Haunt Hunters..

Percy

Banned
Those years aren't cherry picked as they are all ten years apart from each other. But yeah, just selecting four years in the span of 3.5 decades isn't really conclusive enough. But looking BoxOfficeMojo worldwide numbers for the last four years:

1. Toy Story 3 -sequel
2. Alice in Wonderland (2010) -adaption
3. Iron Man 2 -sequel
4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 -adaption
5. Inception -original movie
6. Shrek Forever After -sequel
7. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse -adaption
8. Iron Man 2 -sequel
9. Tangled -original movie
10. Despicable Me -original movie

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 -sequel
2. Transformers: Dark of the Moon -sequel
3. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides -sequel
4. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 -sequel
5. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol -sequel
6. Kung Fu Panda 2 -sequel
7. Fast Five -sequel
8. The Hangover Part II -sequel
9. The Smurfs -adaption
10. Cars 2 -sequel

1. Marvel's The Avengers -adaption
2. Skyfall -sequel
3. The Dark Knight Rises sequel
4. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey -adaption
5 .Ice Age: Continental Drift -sequel
6. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 -sequel
7. The Amazing Spider-Man -adaption
8. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted -sequel
9. The Hunger Games -adaption
10. MIB 3 -sequel

1. Frozen -original movie
2. Iron Man 3 -sequel
3. Despicable Me 2 -sequel
4. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug -sequel
5. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire -sequel
6. Fast & Furious 6 -sequel
7. Monsters University -sequel
8. Gravity -adaption
9. Man of Steel -adaption
10. Thor: The Dark World -sequel

1. Transformers: Age of Extinction -sequel
2. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies -sequel
3. Guardians of the Galaxy -adaption
4. Maleficent -adaption
5. X-Men: Days of Future Past -sequel
6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier -sequel
7. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 -sequel
8. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 -sequel
9. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes -sequel
10. Interstellar -original movie

5 original movies, 12 adaptions and 33 sequels. If we take out the CGI kids movies then there would only be two original movies on this list, both oddly made by Christopher Nolan. Now granted, these are worldwide numbers and the global market tends to sway to more familiar things, so if you were to look at the domestic numbers (AKA: North American), you would see a little more in the way of "original" movies. But not much more.

When you look only at the top 10 numbers for each year, there definitely seems like less original movies being released in general. Nut when you look at the full year lists, the original films tend to be much lower on the lists in general.

Not to nitpick, but wouldn't Tangled and Frozen be adaptions as well?

faridmon

Love the cast.
and when I say the cast I mean Wiig and McCarthy. They were both incredibly in Bridesmaid. Also McCarthy was really good in St. Vincent.

sign me up.

Not to nitpick, but wouldn't Tangled and Frozen be adaptions as well?

Whoops, Tangled is an adaption of Rapunzel. I completely forgot about that. And I had no idea that Frozen was based on anything.

Going back to my last post... I guess going back to my original post, 3 of those would be original (Gravity, Interstellar and Inception) and 15 of those would be adaptions.

^^^^It started out as a straight Snow Queen adaptation. I think the only original Disney film in the last couple of decades was Lilo and Stitch. Although I think they made some non-Pixar CG movies before Tangled, dunno about them (obviously excluding Pixar).

I thought it was based on a book with the same name, but I may be mistaken.

Eh, it doesn't really damage your point, I was just curious. Although I guess Christopher Nolan isn't literally the only director who can make money with an original screenplay.

One thing almost entirely absent from your list was comedies by the way. I think all of those films you listed are varying degrees of bullshit for a whole mess of different reasons. With a comedy, there's only ever one, is it funny? These guys have made movies, you pretty much know where you stand.

Nothing left to do now but moan about them not getting Joe Cornish to do it.

One thing almost entirely absent from your list was comedies by the way. I think all of those films you listed are varying degrees of bullshit for a whole mess of different reasons. With a comedy, there's only ever one, is it funny? These guys have made movies, you pretty much know where you stand.

Well I did pull that data from Boxofficemojo's worldwide charts and not their North American charts. Comedy tends to not fare so well on the global scale as it doesn't always easily translate to other languages If I listed the yearly domestic charts, I think you would see a few more comedies in the top ten.

I googled "Melissa McCarthy funny" and ended up here. I'll admit those clips are funnier than Mike and Molly ever put out, but goddamn, I couldn't stand 2 hours of this shit.

I hope they try and stay away from this type of humor too. But I have a feeling that they won't. The original cast was far from being in good physical shape, but they never resorted to things like fat jokes. Though I guess Ghostbusters 2 did have a "suck in your guts, guys" joke, but that was more about them getting older, I guess.

Well I did pull that data from Boxofficemojo's worldwide charts and not their North American charts. Comedy tends to not fare so well on the global scale as it doesn't always easily translate to other languages If I listed the yearly domestic charts, I think you would see a few more comedies in the top ten.

Yeah, I just meant I'm more likely to be forgiving of a comedy recycling plots and settings if it's funny. Ghostbusters 2, yeah it's not great, but it's funny so it gets a pass. Hangover 2 not so much.

The new Karate Kid is miles ahead of the old one, when it comes to being a watchable movie.

I will never be as iconic though. Not in a million years.

I can see the same thing happening for that Ghostbusters reboot.

Though, if it has McCarthy in it, it will probably suck. everything I have seen her starring in after Gilmore Girls was crap.

BFIB

Just a reminder GAF that there are two spiratual successors to the original Ghostbusters. The game on PS3/360 which was excellent if your a fan, and Evolution with David Duchovny.

KalBalboa

Banned
The new Karate Kid is miles ahead of the old one, when it comes to being a watchable movie.

I will never be as iconic though. Not in a million years.

I can see the same thing happening for that Ghostbusters reboot.

There's no way the reboot will be funnier or more watchable than the original for anyone who was mentally aware of the world around them anytime prior to ~2005.

I can't even imagine little kids these days can watch the originals and not be entertained. My nephew was 5 only a few years back when he discovered the movies and he adored them.

Your last point regarding original projects only getting traction when a director has scratched a studios back by working on popcorn flicks is also criminally false.

No, it isn't.

American Sniper, aside from the fact it's an adaptation, is also a GIANT anomaly. Nobody expected that to do what it's doing, and even if it's pulling down blockbuster dollars, it's not a blockbuster. It wasn't made with that intention. It was made to win Oscar awards, hence the talent, hence the subject matter, hence the release date. That it's pulling in blockbuster money doesn't suddenly upend the argument you didn't even initially understand, and apparently still haven't fully grasped enough to actually even disagree with completely (because your counterarguments really aren't doing much to dent it)

It's a question of focus, where it's being placed, and the hows and whys of it being placed there. And for a lot of people in this thread, they focus, almost to the exclusion of EVERYTHING ELSE, on blockbusters. And that skews things like crazy when you're using that focus as a means to gauge something like "artistic integrity" or "creativity."

I mean, you got people in here still trying to sell that "When is Hollywood going to get an original idea" as if Ghostbusters itself wasn't a Hollywood movie. Or any of the other Hollywood movies Hollywood sees fit to remake in any given year.

It's all remakes, sequels and reboots anyway. The Judy Garland musical wasn't the first Wizard of Oz movie, Apocalypse Now is just Heart of Darkness, Fistful of Dollars is just a remake of Yojimbo, Yojimbo is a ripoff of Red Harvest. It's turtles all the way down.

Sometimes you get a good movie, most times you don't. I'll bet there's a fair amount of people on this board with some of their favourite movies in that list. Are they wrong? Of course they are, but try telling them that.

edit: One could wonder why a discussion about blockbusters is going on at all really.

Sorry, yes it is.

We are now at an impasse.

That you called the means by which successful directors manage to get original filmmaking ideas into the blockbuster paradigm "criminally" incorrect was particularly off. It's not only not criminally wrong, it's not even wrong.

Again, you're missing the point that these charts that are coming up are all specifically fixated on the blockbuster movies, films that are financed and created specifically for the purpose of making north of 400 million dollars worldwide AT A MINIMUM.

These are not the best movies in which to try and divine some sort of sense of "originality." Not that you can't do it. But again - it becomes a question of focus at that point.

KalBalboa

Banned
It's all remakes, sequels and reboots anyway. The Judy Garland musical wasn't the first Wizard of Oz movie, Apocalypse Now is just Heart of Darkness, Fistful of Dollars is just a remake of Yojimbo, Yojimbo is a ripoff of Red Harvest. It's turtles all the way down.

Sometimes you get a good movie, most times you don't. I'll bet there's a fair amount of people on this board with some of their favourite movies in that list. Are they wrong? Of course they are, but try telling them that.

The thing in this case, though, is that the core concept was ripe for sequels/franchising but they're opting to redo the original instead.

This remake is also apparently looking more and more like a reboot in name only and not a retelling of the same story with the same characters. It's really just slapping a brand onto something to get more butts in seats. There's a lot of transparent Hollywood sleaze on this project at the moment.

Remakes are definitely going to keep happening, but I guess people don't have to be happy about it.

Blader

The thing in this case, though, is that the core concept was ripe for sequels/franchising but they're opting to redo the original instead.

Not that I care at all about this movie, but wouldn't telling a new story with new characters -- just with the same title -- be more original than a straight Ghostbusters III?

KalBalboa

Banned
Not that I care at all about this movie, but wouldn't telling a new story with new characters -- just with the same title -- be more original than a straight Ghostbusters III?

Yes and no. If you're going to have a new story with new characters, why label it Ghostbusters at all?

The answer is, of course, money, and not much else. A sequel, at the very least, would feel a little less creatively bankrupt in that you could cover new territory with the base creative team. A reboot, as history has shown, is basically recycling the most lucrative elements in place of creating an entirely original idea.

Men in Black, for example, is clearly inspired by Ghostbusters, but it's not the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom