• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters (2016) Trailer #1 (Feig, Wiig, McCarthy, McKinnon, Jones)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, shit.

It wasn't just McWeeny speculation: Patty Tolan was supposed to be Melissa McCarthy's character.

Paul Feig said:
“We had written the role with Melissa in mind, but then I thought I’ve seen Melissa play a brash, larger-than-life character. She’s done it in my movies before!” said Feig, who previously directed McCarthy in Bridesmaids and Spy. Feig went on to explain that he was impressed by Jones’ outsize presence as a performer and wanted to harness that for the big screen. “She’s one of my favorite people on the planet. I don’t normally like comedy that’s big and loud, but she is able to pull that off in a way that feels real, and it’s her,” he said. “I wanted to unleash Leslie on the public in the same way we unleashed Melissa on the public in Bridesmaids, with a very showy role.”

The problem there: McCarthy felt "unleashed" because her comedy up until that point was lower-key and not as bold, so it really felt like something new out of her, and it amplified the largeness of her performance.

Leslie Jones being big and bold is what she does. This isn't going to "unleash" anything, it's just Leslie Jones doing Leslie Jones in a Ghostbusters uniform.

Now if you'd shown her doing something new?

Well, shit.

It wasn't just McWeeny speculation: Patty Jenkins was supposed to be Melissa McCarthy's character.

The problem there: McCarthy felt "unleashed" because her comedy up until that point was lower-key and not as bold, so it really felt like something new out of her, and it amplified the largeness of her performance.

Leslie Jones being big and bold is what she does. This isn't going to "unleash" anything, it's just Leslie Jones doing Leslie Jones in a Ghostbusters uniform.

While I agree for the most part, I really really like Leslie's brand of humor and I'm glad she has this chance to show off her talent in her comfort zone. I mean, sure, no one wants to [see someone/be] typecast for everything they appear in, but this is her (and Kate's) first big role outside of SNL and personally I don't mind seeing her show off a bit. I know there are a lot of facets here but Leslie is such a great comedian. I hate seeing her get torn apart for something that every actor does (play themselves at some point) right out the gate.

I almost forgot McWeeney made that guess early last year after reading the script.

If I was guessing, I'd bet Wiig is Erin, Jones is Abby, and McKinnon is Jillian. That's because I'm almost positive Patty, an MTA worker who stumbles across the main ghost in the film, is going to be McCarthy. Seems like a perfect fit for her, and I can see how all four of them will fit together as a team.

I honestly thought/hoped that she was gonna be the MTA worker too. Interesting.

Edit: that's actually kind of a weird predicament to be in. You have two people, one you've worked with before and one you haven't, one that's been in movies before and one that hasn't. Do you let the newbie be herself and play a comfort role on her first big screen debut while letting the seasoned vet play something different, or do you put the newbie in a role that is the opposite of what she normally plays to show off her range while putting the vet in the same kind of roll she normally plays?

Tansut

Well, shit.

It wasn't just McWeeny speculation: Patty Jenkins was supposed to be Melissa McCarthy's character.

Definitely seems like a misfire. One that was made with good intentions, but a misfire all the same.

CLEEK

Well, shit.

Hollywood is global. I can guarantee that no one outside of the US had heard of Leslie Jones before this. When this version of Ghostbusters was announced, I had to Google the two that weren't McCarthy or Wigg. And I knew those two from their film work.

Judging from the international trailer, that leak from Reddit seems true.

Also, am I the only one who feels the whole shtick of this movie, seems to be that they are incompetent and insecure? Original Ghostbusters were non-contemplative shlubs who didn't give a shit and just pushed through.

Also, am I the only one who feels the whole shtick of this movie, seems to be that they are incompetent and insecure? Original Ghostbusters were non-contemplative shlubs who didn't give a shit and just pushed through.

I dunno, the original guys seemed kind of uncertain and making it up as they were going along too, hence the fact that they hadn't even tested their proton packs thoroughly until they were in the sedgewick's lift and the consequent destruction of the hotels ballroom.

Also the fact that the entire world almost ended because Venkman couldn't deal in an adult manner with an officious, self important EPA official.

I'll add this one, found on r/ghostbusters... Turn your volume down, though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY3CkwG-sNE

The new packs are Sychrotrons which accelerate ionized hydrogen using magnetic fields like the Large Hadron Collider. Not sure why it would cause a nuclear explosion?

That was the whole shtick for the first film. They see a ghost and Ray tries to grab it, then they remortgage Rays house to buy a base despite not having any equipment for catching ghosts. They then build proton packs and traps that they wont know if they even work and do tonnes of damage to a hotel trying to catch a single ghost. Then antagonise a government agency which eventually ends up causing a god to appear and get their asses handed to themselves and then again not having a clue they do something that could cause the end of the world(crossing the streams) and by some miracle it works and only blows the top half of a skyscraper off.

This film is going to be them setting up the ghostbusters, if you watch the trailer you can see they have really basic proton packs and will probably very quickly find out they are out of their league so they build new proton packs, bust the ghosts and by the end of the film will have founded the Ghostbusters.

I dunno, the original guys seemed kind of uncertain and making it up as they were going along too, hence the fact that they hadn't even tested their proton packs thoroughly until they were in the sedgewick's lift and the consequent destruction of the hotels ballroom.

Also the fact that the entire world almost ended because Venkman couldn't deal in an adult manner with an officious, self important EPA official.

The new packs are Sychrotrons which accelerate ionized hydrogen using magnetic fields like the Large Hadron Collider. Not sure why it would cause a nuclear explosion?

That was the whole shtick for the first film. They see a ghost and Ray tries to grab it, then they remortgage Rays house to buy a base despite not having any equipment for catching ghosts. They then build proton packs and traps that they wont know if they even work and do tonnes of damage to a hotel trying to catch a single ghost. Then antagonise a government agency which eventually ends up causing a god to appear and get their asses handed to themselves and then again not having a clue they do something that could cause the end of the world and by some miracle it works and only blows the top half of a skyscraper off.

This film is going to be them setting up the ghostbusters, if you watch the trailer you can see they have really basic proton packs and will probably very quickly find out they are out of their league so they build new proton packs, bust the ghosts and by the end of the film will have founded the Ghostbusters.

The original Ghostbusters were cool and shlubby. They were never acting shy or insecure, they were just steam-rolling.

I don't know, just feels weird that you reboot the movie with female characters and so many of the jokes seems to be "Lol isn't it weird that women are trying to do this stuff lol?"

marrec

Banned
The original Ghostbusters were cool and shlubby. They were never acting shy or insecure, they were just steam-rolling.

I don't know, just feels weird that you reboot the movie with female characters and so many of the jokes seems to be "Lol isn't it weird that women are trying to do this stuff lol?"

I feel the same way.

It would have been nice to have a joke in the trailer cracked at the expense of someone BESIDES the main 4. McKinnon looks self-assured, but she hardly speaks a line in the trailers.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhhh.....

Not sure how you are getting the "entire movie" from a 2 minute trailer.

I think they are going to be out of their depth and insecure for the first half of the movie with inferior equipment, there are two different proton packs and it looks like they are kicking ass when McKinnon is whipping out the dual pistols.

marrec

Banned
Not sure how you are getting the "entire movie" from a 2 minute trailer.

I think they are going to be out of their depth and insecure for the first half of the movie with inferior equipment, there are two different proton packs and it looks like they are kicking ass when McKinnon is whipping out the dual pistols.

You don't feel like whipping out dual pistols is a little... dumb? It's very "now" I suppose.

It's clear Paul Feig is taking inspiration from Extreme Ghostbusters and The Real Ghostbusters cartoons.

The Extreme Ghostbusters proton packs had gun like neutrona wands.

latest

Mccarthy/Yates has an iron man style hand device, Kristen Wiig/Gilbert has what looks like a cannon or a launcher style device and Kate McKinnon/Holtzmann has dual pistols.

I think it's a neat idea having smaller weapons that are personal to the person using them to weaken the ghosts then cracking out the proton packs to capture them.

marrec

Banned
It's clear Paul Feig is taking inspiration from Extreme Ghostbusters and The Real Ghostbusters cartoons.

The Extreme Ghostbusters proton packs had gun like neutrona wands.

Mccarthy/Yates has an iron man style hand device, Kristen Wiig/Gilbert has what looks like a cannon or a launcher style device and Kate McKinnon/Holtzmann has dual pistols.

I think it's a neat idea having smaller weapons that are personal to the person using them to weaken the ghosts then cracking out the proton packs to capture them.

Yea, none of that sounds good to me. :(

Like, they're making a crappy superhero movie instead of a Ghostbusters movie.

It could be a terrible idea, it might turn out amazing. I just think it's cool that Feig is considering other forms of Ghostbusters other than a simple remake of the first films.

I do know that the shot of them walking calmly into the incredibly haunted times square is all kinds of great and makes me optimistic for the movie.

as an aside that shot also looks like it could have fitted well into the hellbent version of ghostbusters 3.

BamfMeat

You don't feel like whipping out dual pistols is a little... dumb? It's very "now" I suppose.

No, not at all. I actually really liked that and think it looks cool. Also, Kate McKinnon doing it is insanely awesome.

I still don't see the whole "LOL ITS WOMYN DOING THESE THINGS!" In fact, IMO, you COULD replace guys in every scene and it would be the same. I don't see anything that has to do with the girls gender.

The only gender stereotype is Mr Hottie-Mc-Hottiepants doing the logo with boobs.

Also, completely random, but it looks like McKinnon kinda drools over Thor at one point. She's a lesbian in real life - I think it'd be cool to see her character be gay too.

"GET HER!!"

We have nostalgia and 30 years of "camaraderie" with the original four tinting our views. They were just as stupid and unsure as the women. Within the first 10-15 minutes of the movie we see find out Egon once tried to drill a hole in his head, Peter asks a librarian if she's on her period and thus hysterical, Peter then tries to collect ectoplasm only to get it everywhere, and Ray tries to physically grab a ghost.

Seriously go back and watch the movie again and try to take note of all the incredibly clumsy, outright bad decisions they make. Part of their charm is that they're incompetent and obviously in way way over their heads. When they switch on Ray's proton pack for the first time Peter and Ego are scared as fuck at the noise it makes - never mind that they're out in the field using nuclear accelerators they haven't even tested yet.

"GET HER!!"

We have nostalgia and 30 years of "camaraderie" with the original four tinting our views. They were just as stupid and unsure as the women. Within the first 10-15 minutes of the movie we see find out Egon once tried to drill a hole in his head, Peter asks a librarian if she's on her period and thus hysterical, Peter then tries to collect ectoplasm only to get it everywhere, and Ray tries to physically grab a ghost.

Seriously go back and watch the movie again and try to take note of all the incredibly clumsy, outright bad decisions they make. Part of their charm is that they're incompetent and obviously in way way over their heads. When they switch on Ray's proton pack for the first time Peter and Ego are scared as fuck at the noise it makes - never mind that they're out in the field using nuclear accelerators they haven't even tested yet.

Oh I agree, part of the movies' charm came from the unprofessionalism of the characters. The Ghostbusters walk into the hotel with these and nuclear devices strapped to their backs and one of them is casually smoking a cigarette. The way they completely demolish the hotel, just to catch one little ghost. And they look like they are having fun too. The small exchanges of dialog like this:

Ray: "OK, I'm opening the trap now, don't look directly into the trap!"
Egon: "I looked into the trap, Ray.."

Harold Ramis' straight forward delivery of that line was perfect.

Walter Peck from the Environmental Protection Agency tries to shut them down because of the concerns he has about the equipment that they use. He's suppose to be the antagonist of the movie, but in reality he's just doing his job and looking out for the better interests of the city of New York. His inclusion in the movie is there to help sell the idea that they are unprofesionals, he plays the role of the authority hammering down on the little guys, and we cheer on the little guys even though Peck was just doing his job and following procedure.

They hire Winston without looking at any of his credentials. They just bring him on because they need another hand. Ghostbustes was all about "we don't know what we're doing, but we are going to do it anyway".

"GET HER!!"

I'm not saying they weren't portrayed as incompetent, what I'm saying is that the new movie seems to portray them in a much more ditzy and ridiculous manner.

There's a huge difference betweeen ditzy incompetence and sardonic and sarcastic incompetence. It's like the difference between Hyde and Kelso in That 70's show.

I know there's a director named Patty Jenkins as well. I thought that was the character's name in this film, though?

Apologies if I fucked that up.

Leslie Jones' character is named Patty Tolan. I initially thought you were saying that the director Patty Jenkins was supposed to play McCarthy's character, which made me wonder how it slipped past me that she's also an actress. :)

Leslie Jones' character is named Patty Tolan. I initially thought you were saying that the director Patty Jenkins was supposed to play McCarthy's character, which made me wonder how it slipped past me that she's also an actress. :)

AH! Shit. I'll go back and re-edit. Thanks again, and apologies for fucking that up.

Grinchy

Banned
Oh I agree, part of the movies' charm came from the unprofessionalism of the characters. The Ghostbusters walk into the hotel with these and nuclear devices strapped to their backs and one of them is casually smoking a cigarette. The way they completely demolish the hotel, just to catch one little ghost. And they look like they are having fun too. The small exchanges of dialog like this:

Ray: "OK, I'm opening the trap now, don't look directly into the trap!"
Egon: "I looked into the trap, Ray.."

Harold Ramis' straight forward delivery of that line was perfect.

Walter Peck from the Environmental Protection Agency tries to shut them down because of the concerns he has about the equipment that they use. He's suppose to be the antagonist of the movie, but in reality he's just doing his job and looking out for the better interests of the city of New York. His inclusion in the movie is there to help sell the idea that they are unprofesionals, he plays the role of the authority hammering down on the little guys, and we cheer on the little guys even though Peck was just doing his job and following procedure.

They hire Winston without looking at any of his credentials. They just bring him on because they need another hand. Ghostbustes was all about "we don't know what we're doing, but we are going to do it anyway".
yeah but when Venkman gets slimed, he doesn't say he got slime in his dick hole

and when Louis gets hurt, he never yells, "Well that's gonna leave a mark!"

yeah but when Venkman gets slimed, he doesn't say he got slime in his dick hole

and when Louis gets hurt, he never yells, "Well that's gonna leave a mark!"

Another thing is Chris Hemsworth's character. Now I can understand the "turning the tables" humor of having four female Ghostbusters and one male secretary. But did they really need to sexualize Hemsworth's character? Is Ghostbusters really the right vehicle to make social commentary on the reversal of sexual objectification when the original movies didn't have that type of humor in it? You never saw Annie Potts prance around in tight low cut mini skirts, bend over for the camera, show off cleavage, or be used as a focal point to bounce sexual innuendo jokes off of. There were no "eye candy" characters planted into the original Ghostbusters movies at all.

I'm not against those kinds of character archetypes or that kind of humor in general, but did they have to shoehorn it into this movie?

AH! Shit. I'll go back and re-edit. Thanks again, and apologies for fucking that up.

No biggie, i had to look it up myself to make sure what the character's last name is.

Another thing is Chris Hemsworth's character. Now I can understand the "turning the tables" humor of having four female Ghostbusters and one male secretary. But did they really need to sexualize Hemsworth's character? Is Ghostbusters really the right vehicle to make social commentary on the reversal of sexual objectification when the original movies didn't have that type of humor in it? You never saw Annie Potts prance around in tight low cut mini skirts, bend over for the camera, show off cleavage, or be used as a focal point to bounce sexual innuendo jokes off of. There were no "eye candy" characters planted into the original Ghostbusters movies at all.

I'm not against those kinds of character archetypes or that kind of humor in general, but did they have to shoehorn it into this movie?

It's Chris Hemsworth, i'm pretty sure he has a clause in his contracts that guarantees him at least one topless scene per movie.

k so here's how his character works.

You know the ditzy secretary deal, like Cerie from 30 Rock? He's that.

With the added bonus of having no idea how to dress AND being dumb as a rock

I understand how his character works, and the "ditsy attractive secretary" archetype as well. But do they have to insert that archetype into this movie, when the original films didn't fall back on that old cliched character trope?

I understand how his character works, and the "ditsy attractive secretary" archetype as well. But do they have to insert that archetype into this movie, when the original films didn't fall back on that old cliched character trope?

Well, this film isn't trying to do what that film did outside of very general plot similarities.

Also that film had a ghost suck Aykroyd's dick, as has been mentioned before.

Boobs joke/hot secretary is probably a little more reserved, honestly, than say, the running joke of Venkman trying to fuck his students/fuck his customer and Stantz getting Ecto-head.

Well, this film isn't trying to do what that film did outside of very general plot similarities.

Also that film had a ghost suck Aykroyd's dick, as has been mentioned before.

Boobs joke/hot secretary is probably a little more reserved, honestly, than say, the running joke of Venkman trying to fuck his students/fuck his customer and Stantz getting Ecto-head.

Don't forget the implied cunnilingus joke with Egon popping up from under Jeanine's desk. (at least that's how I've always read that scene - not that he did, but that it's like, oh, hey, whatcha doin down there buddy. With the genders reversed that would totally read as a blowjob joke imo)

Grinchy

Banned

I guess the original just didn't know what good comedy was. If only Egon wore a 70s-style pimp suit while Ray was walking by in a dark hallway and then asked if it was too much and if it was the cane or the shoes.

Don't forget the implied cunnilingus joke with Egon popping up from under Jeanine's desk. (at least that's how I've always read that scene - not that he did, but that it's like, oh, hey, whatcha doin down there buddy. With the genders reversed that would totally read as a blowjob joke imo)

I got that out of it too. But the reason why people are complaining about this stuff and not that stuff is because the first Ghostbusters wasn't filmed like a comedy; it was a comedy and very funny, but the execution was mostly reserved. This is a lot more in your face by comparison; it's not so much the content rather than the execution.

The blowjob scene was pretty bad, but it's the only jarring moment in the movie and very brief.

A lot of you make very good points.

I agree with a lot of the complaints about the trailer.

I had hoped we would get a smart witty GB, because the cast is not bad at all. its just a shame the studios, writers, and director, forgot about what made the first movie so good.

TSM

I never realized Peck wasnt the bad guy. He really was just doing his job, but on the other hand he said the ghostbusters were using gases and fake light shows.

He got into a pissing contest with Venkman and didn't care what the consequences might be. He wasn't evil, but he was certainly a petty bureaucrat exercising what little authority he had to get revenge for being treated poorly.

I guess the original just didn't know what good comedy was. If only Egon wore a 70s-style pimp suit while Ray was walking by in a dark hallway and then asked if it was too much and if it was the cane or the shoes.

I can actually see that working just fine? Egon has a very very strange sense of humor that often catches his partners off guard - Doe, Ray, Egon, for example. I could totally picture them attempting to "hide" from a ghost, they get separated, and when one of them finds Egon all totally decked out in a disguise that startles them, he misses the entire point and thinks it's because he went too far with the cane or shoes, not that the idea of wearing a disguise in general was absurd.

But then, you're also trying to force the new Ghostbusters into the roles of the old ones. You can't do that because superficial visual similarities aside, they are completely different characters. Or would you actually want a reboot where the four main characters are literally just female versions of the old cast?

Ogodei

Saw the trailer again in previews for 10 Cloverfield. It came off better in a second viewing, or maybe it was just that theater magic.

McKinnon's character definitely seems to be the one to watch here.

But the reason why people are complaining about this stuff and not that stuff is because the first Ghostbusters wasn't filmed like a comedy; it was a comedy and very funny, but the execution was mostly reserved. .

No, it wasn't. Not really.

This was tried earlier in the thread, but the idea that Ghostbusters is a "reserved" kind of movie doesn't really make sense. Maybe the word "sophisticated" is a better match there, but even then, it's harder to gauge the level of sophistication being used in executing some of the jokes in this news Ghostbusters because we don't have the either the jokes, or the context surrounding them.

I never realized Peck wasnt the bad guy. He really was just doing his job, but on the other hand he said the ghostbusters were using gases and fake light shows.

Naw, dude was an asshole. There's doing your job, and then there's just making enemies. He could have walked in there and inquired about their operation like a sensible human being, bringing up his concerns. Instead he had his mind all made up before he even got there. Then while being directly told that what he was doing was dangerous, he did it anyway and fucked the entire city. He was not legitimately concerned with safety, he was more concerned with "winning."
The man has no dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom