• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters |OT| Is it the boobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does 128M box office mean Sony has made 128M? Or is that before the theaters take their cut?

Either way, when you factor in that marketing must've cost 100M+, this might lose money for Sony. It'll be really interesting to see the fallout if that happens. Will Sony continue with their cinematic universe?
Movie studios doesn't get the whole box office, it's hard to tell because it depends of the deal that each studio made.
And it used to be true across the board that the opening weekend was when the biggest percentage of profits went to the studios. In the past, studios "strong-armed exhibitors into these front-loaded deals, wherein the overwhelming majority of the opening weekend take goes to the studio," says David Mumpower with Box Office Prophets. "As much as 90% of that revenue is theirs." The theaters only make money by selling "overpriced snacks" to audiences during that first week — but in the following weeks, the theater's cut goes up. Eventually, by the fourth week, the studio's cut has fallen to around 52 percent in most cases.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/5747305/how-much-money-does-a-movie-need-to-make-to-be-profitable

I laughed my ass off throughout this movie. In fact I was wiping tears away at some of the many great moments at the expense of Kevin's character. The humor is different than the originals but it carves its own unique path with the series, which I love. I really hope we get a sequel because they created a truly fun take on the franchise with great characters.

NimbusD

Saw it today, snuck in after Star Trek (which makes me feel bad, I originally wanted to see this movie but didnt want to wait around 2 hours for the next showing... they should have gotten my money). Do I sitll have to spoiler? eh just in case:

Honestly, pretty good. Also a lot of bad. If it didn't have the baggage of being a reboot, I'd have been less analytical for sure. A lot of it was funny, but the cinematography and editing really threw me off. Way too fast cuts that didn't feel natural (not even just with the dialogue, like cuts to obviously get someone to sit on a bike faster than they normally would, etc).

My major thing I don't like is the lack of anything else ghostbusters being fleshed out. Neil Casey is fucking hilarious, and they didn't use him at all, his character didn't even have a motive, I mean ok he was bullied, but then he wanted to die? To be resurrected? How? And why does he have superpowers as a ghost? Such a wasted opportunity for an awesome actor who really had a chance to shine.

But you know what, as much as I can be analytical, this movie is great just because it's such a rare thing. My girlfriend and her friends, literally 30 year old women, were discussing afterwards which ghostbuster they are. They never get to see even a dumb action comedy where they get that opportunity to be giddy over the main characters in the same way I would be over like a bunch of ninjas or some stupid shit. This sentiment is just summed up by the kate mckinnon action scene, which there should have been way more of. Just one woman kicking ass, not flashing any ass, not pining after a dude, not just the token sexy ninja woman ahving her moment, etc etc. That's a quality this movie has that's almost unfortunately unique unto itself at the moment. Here's to hoping there's more of that and it's not so big of a deal in the future.

after rewatching Ghostbusters 84, it's even more clear how uninteresting Ghostbusters 2016 is shot. the first scenes in Ghostbusters 84 following the librarian/ghostbusters through the stacks is better than any shot in GB16.

YEah really my main qualm w this movie. Why does everything except the last scene take place during the day? They aren't really staying true to the ghosts and scary movies as a genre through the cinematography. Sort of also hurts the comedy when you're undercutting the baseline of what the movie should be (though I think the actresses are very funny alone, it's an aspect of the movie that hurts the whole).

Also every shot of someone talking was a single, not over the shoulder shot, not a two shot. It made some scenes, even dialogue scenes very disorienting, let alone action scenes. They were ALL OVER THE PLACE in the music venue.

Klyka

Banned
So I'm not quite sure on one thing:

Without Rowan setting down the devices, there are no ghosts materializing, right? So how are the Ghostbusters going to stay in business now that Rowan is gone? Are they gonna expect someone else to build the devices as well some years down the line or something?

eot

Banned
I went and saw this knowing nothing about it or the old movies other than having heard the theme song a few times, and I thought it was quite dull. They just went for a bunch of easy jokes over and over, not my type of comedy at all. I didn't particularly care for the cast either to be honest. This is not a word I like to use, but it felt try-hard.

Are the originals dramatically better, or is it just that people saw them when they were kids?

Sanjuro

I went and saw this knowing nothing about it or the old movies other than having heard the theme song a few times, and I thought it was quite dull. They just went for a bunch of easy jokes over and over, not my type of comedy at all. I didn't particularly care for the cast either to be honest. This is not a word I like to use, but it felt try-hard.

Are the originals dramatically better, or is it just that people saw them when they were kids?

The original film is an all time classic. It's entirely comprised of dry humor and wit, seemingly without effort.

It is a full reboot of the franchise, but there are so many callbacks to the earlier films that it seems like it still expects the audience to have seen them.

I felt the same way about The Force Awakens. They are both essentially kids movies that are crammed full of fan service for 40 year olds.

Sanjuro

It is a full reboot of the franchise, but there are so many callbacks to the earlier films that it seems like it still expects the audience to have seen them.

I felt the same way about The Force Awakens. They are both essentially kids movies that are crammed full of fan service for 40 year olds.

Huh? This film is the opposite of The Force Awakens.

Without Rowan setting down the devices, there are no ghosts materializing, right? So how are the Ghostbusters going to stay in business now that Rowan is gone? Are they gonna expect someone else to build the devices as well some years down the line or something?

the old movies required something to act as a locus (gozer, vigo) to charge ghost appearances, hauntings after gozer's defeat in the first movie tapered out to the degree that it was possible to discredit the ghostbusters as charlatans.

It could be the same this time out or they could say that rowan permanently damaged the durable (yet not impenetrable) barrier or somehow charged the network of leylines enough to keep business steady

DeathyBoy

Banned
There's definitely some redeeming points you hit on there that I passed over.

This one actually kind of reminds me of Ghostbusters 2 in a way. Both have some really high points, a few really low points, and are awkwardly paced.

I watched ghostbusters 2 with my daughter a few weeks ago and realized that it starts really really slow. It has a bunch of good scenes as it goes on, and then has kind of a terrible climax.

2016 starts out awesome, and then loses steam as it goes on, but has enough high points to keep it in the "pretty good movie" realm.

Ghostbusters 2 has an awesome climax, what is this twaddle? They weaponise the Statue of Liberty.

Saw it.

I can't believe Sony is planing to make a cinematic universe with this GB movie.
James is definitely not missing out on this one.

Kacho

The original GB is incredible. Great characters and while the humor is often very subtle it will make you laugh out loud. I liked GB as a kid but it wasn't until I watched it when I was older that I was able to appreciate its brilliance.

I'm assuming that
he built his tech to enhance and focus naturally occuring ghosts. Note that there were ghosts (rarely) when they were young too.

Shaanyboi

Banned

The original is probably my favorite comedy of all time. It's well written, well paced, the actors have great chemistry in almost every single instance. This new one... uhhh... doesn't even remotely achieve any of that.

The second can feel like a pretty soulless retread, but it's not without its moments and seeing the cast together again still manages to bring some laughs.

Mzo

It started off pretty well and then took a nosedive. So many painfully long and cringey improv scenes, yikes.

Holtzman was the worst part of the movie. She wasn't even a character, just a random collection of muggings and noises. She was as bad as Jim Carey in Ace Ventura 2.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
It started off pretty well and then took a nosedive. So many painfully long and cringey improv scenes, yikes.

Holtzman was the worst part of the movie. She wasn't even a character, just a random collection of muggings and noises. She was as bad as Jim Carey in Ace Ventura 2.

at least jim had a reason to go that direction, this was a new character they could have done something with

The Devices amplified paranormal activity, it didn't create it. I also don't think it is to hard to believe that something got loose after they opened a gateway between worlds basically...

Any of yous check out Ghostheads on Netflix? I recognized some of the folks from the Leslie Jones appreciation video after the Twitter attack.

I enjoyed it. I liked their genuine enthusiasm when it came to the new film. I don't see them being like many in this thread. Just mean spirited towards a fun film after finally seeing it.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Any of yous check out Ghostheads on Netflix? I recognized some of the folks from the Leslie Jones appreciation video after the Twitter attack.

I enjoyed it. I liked their genuine enthusiasm when it came to the new film. I don't see them being like many in this thread. Just mean spirited towards a fun film after finally seeing it.

so we can't criticize a bad movie now? It's great that they had fun making it. No one goes into a film expecting it to come out bad. Feig failed the actors on this one

No there's always ghosts, the devices he was making amplified paranormal activity and charged the Lay Lines, making it easier for ghosts to come through into our world. There's an entire sequence devoted to Erin describing the ghost of her neighbor that she saw as a child, so there's clearly ghosts with or without Rowan and his tech.

so we can't criticize a bad movie now? It's great that they had fun making it. No one goes into a film expecting it to come out bad. Feig failed the actors on this one

I feel like there is an enormous chasm between "criticizing" movies and what Answer the Call gets. It's one thing to go "Eh I didn't like it, pacing/editing/acting was off, not my kind of humor" etc. It's another thing entirely to go "This movie is a worthless piece of shit that never should have been made and has no redeeming qualities anyone who likes this garbage is retarded."

Not saying that you said anything like that, for the most part GAF has been a pretty decent place to talk about it. But rational criticism is far from what Answer the Call typically gets.

Failed the actors?

Ghostheads is about Ghostbusters fans. Throughout the doc, you see a couple of them get a chance to see the new Ecto-1 before anyone else and at the end many were invited to a special screening of the trailer. These people didn't scoff at what is or isn't worthy of being related to the GB brand and many even dressed in the new suits while the internet was busy picking all of these things apart for childish reasons.

Dislike the movie all you want, but coming into a thread shitting on it with a chest puffed out to make sure your opinion is heard and acknowledged isn't necessary when it was actually an OK movie. Big difference between quality and preference and people don't seem to get that.

Like the movie all you want, but coming into a thread praising it with a chest puffed out to make sure your opinion is heard and acknowledged isn't necessary when it was actually a mediocre movie.

Finaika

Like the movie all you want, but coming into a thread praising it with a chest puffed out to make sure your opinion is heard and acknowledged isn't necessary when it was actually a mediocre movie.

Wait, you can't praise a movie in its own official thread?

KalBalboa

Banned

The original film is leagues better.

GB1>>GB2016>>>>GB2

Ghostbusters costumes for women before this movie

tumblr_oaq71mV2VR1s6mudto1_400.png

And after

Seriously this shit is night and day

New

01322262-a

Old

07139447-a

https://www.spirithalloween.com/cat...earchForm&keyword=ghostbusters&Search=Find+It

Without this movie there wouldn't be any non sexualized Ghostbusters costume for women or even young girls.

Look at that site, all the old style male costumes are normal, all the old style female costumes are short skirts and sex appeal. Look at even the body posture between the two young girls. Look at the proton pack size. None of the old school women's costumes even came with actually good sized packs and both had no proton gun. All new ones have everything full sized.

It took literally a whole different movie for women to have the option to dress as actual fuckimg Ghostbustersm

Henkka

Banned
Yeah it's just a jumpsuit, anyone can wear the "male" costume. Then there's a sexy variant for women who are into dressing like that.

TBiddy

And yet is there a picture of woman wearing it as part of the advertisement? Nope. The sexy one is also listed as "Adult"

Come on.

No, there is not. They've probably directed their marketing towards the most likely customers. Not everything is sexism, you know.

No, there is not. They've probably directed their marketing towards the most likely customers. Not everything is sexism, you know.

And yet it took a new movie with good female representation for them to use women in their ads as not sex symbols.

If they intended the original outfits to be truly unisex they could gave had a secondary picture with a woman in the normal costume when you clicked on it. But they didn't.

Not everything is sexism but this shit is institutionally so. Look at the difference in posture between the women/girls in the original costumes and the men/boys and then compare both to the posture of the womebln/girls in the new costumes.

I mean even the girl's version of the original is sexualized

TBiddy

And yet it took a new novie with good female representation for them to use women in their ads as not sex symbols.

If they intendes it to be truly unisex they coukd gave had a secondary picture with a woman in the normal costume. But they didn't.

Not everything is sexism but this shit is institutionally so.

I think it boils down to money, in the end. The outfit is officially licensed, and the image is clearly a stock photo. Some company got a license to make an outfit for Ghostbusters. The leads were all male, so they figured "Hey, most of the costumers will probably be male", and hence they chose a male in the picture, even though the costume looks more unisex than a standard issue toilet.

The new costume is more feminine and mostly directed at women. The picture is of a woman, which is natural, considering the female leads in the movie.

I get it, there's a lot of shit in this world with sexism, lack of rights for women and so on. But this, in my opinion, isn't an example of institutional sexism.

Pepboy

And yet it took a new movie with good female representation for them to use women in their ads as not sex symbols.

If they intended the original outfits to be truly unisex they could gave had a secondary picture with a woman in the normal costume when you clicked on it. But they didn't.

Not everything is sexism but this shit is institutionally so. Look at the difference in posture between the women/girls in the original costumes and the men/boys and then compare both to the posture of the womebln/girls in the new costumes.

I mean even the girl's version of the original is sexualized

I sort of see where you are coming from. When you click on the "mens" option, the jumpsuit stays while when you click on the "womens" option, the 'sexy' outfit stays. However, this is just the options of this particular website.

Another point worth noting is that in the NEW costumes, they don't have a male variant. They also do not have men photographed in the new costume. The kids version also now features a girl.

It is possible (not particularly likely) that they used to have a female jumpsuit, which is now out of stock / replaced by the new female jumpsuit... but they never produced a male version of the new jumpsuit.

I think it boils down to money, in the end. The outfit is officially licensed, and the image is clearly a stock photo. Some company got a license to make an outfit for Ghostbusters. The leads were all male, so they figured "Hey, most of the costumers will probably be male", and hence they chose a male in the picture, even though the costume looks more unisex than a standard issue toilet.

The new costume is more feminine and mostly directed at women. The picture is of a woman, which is natural, considering the female leads in the movie.

I get it, there's a lot of shit in this world with sexism, lack of rights for women and so on. But this, in my opinion, isn't an example of institutional sexism.

http://www.halloweencostumes.com/ghostbuster-costumes.html?q=ghostbusters

There is one female old school one that's alrighthbut a) The picture has no body wearing it and b) Short sleeves, capris pants, and stripper heels in the video. Also 20$ more expensive at 69.99$

http://www.halloweencostumes.com/ghostbusters-venkman-womens-romper.html

Shit look at the models. Men look like average folk, women look like beauty queens.

Anyway point is this movie has actually vastly improved costume options for women

The Giant

Banned
Just watched this. This was bad.

The first 2 acts of the movie just dragged and dragged, they should have cut at least 20-25 mins and make it tight and a abit more fast pace.

The third act was just meh and unexciting.

This movie doesn't have the charm and fun of both Ghostbusters 1 and 2.

Hell, my mrs fell asleep watching this.

Tbh, I knew this would come up.

But if you're paying attention, I'm talking about bitter folks and their bitter attitudes, not the film. I'm not praising the film, I'm denouncing the shitty way many folks form their opinions and speak to each other on the internet.

And if I have to look like a hypocrite, I don't mind. It's like being mean towards Trump supporters, I'm not anti-human, just anti-anti-human.

At least he declared once and for all that it's mediocre so there's no reason to have a different opinion as it seems to be written in stone now.

TBiddy

Anyway point is this movie has actually vastly improved costume options for women

Which is fantastic for those who want to buy costumes, but it's still down to what makes money and what doesn't. I don't see the latent sexism here. Anyways, that was a bit off-topic - sorry about that.

groansey

Has it?

I'd expect any woman seen out wearing the new GB outfit this halloween will be subject to drunken verbal or physical abuse. Genuinely, that is the neanderthal mindset of a large portion of the men who hate this movie. It will be seen as a statement or invitation for derision.

My gf loved the film, and wants us to do costumes this year, but I have serious reservations about the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom