• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters (2016) Trailer #1 (Feig, Wiig, McCarthy, McKinnon, Jones)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm posting a lot here suddenly haha but I feel like, if this is good, this could be the surprise hit of the summer so I don't blame studios for not doing what you suggest

pompidu

I think he refers to this:

It's not a period joke, not even in the broadest sense of the word, but it's the best I could find.

It's a period joke but its a very good one. Don't expect any kind of dry/smart humor in this, only bad slapstick.

Boem

The white members of the team in the original weren't portrayed as one-sided as you might be alluding to.
Bill and Dan's characters were both silly. Ernie's was more like a sensible dude.

I guess if people want to find race issues they'll find them somehow.

Here's a quote from a little background someone wrote on Winston on the original GB's IMDB page:

"As time went by, he became the translator of Ray Stantz's long-winded, jargon-filled explanations of supernatural occurances into simple terms, that they could be understood by normal folk, usually the Mayor of New York, Lenny Clotch."

Ernie Hudson's role in the original Ghostbusters definitely has some nasty racial undertones. He was very much the token black member of the team. Both Ernie Hudson and Dan Aykroyd have commented on that since then. I'm not saying that the writers/other actors in the movie were racist, just that the way the Hollywood system worked back then (and frankly still does) and the way his role turned out definitely were. Describing that as 'people who just want to see racism' is pretty problematic IMO.

His role was originally much bigger, and written for Eddie Murphy. He was supposed to be as much a part of the team and the comedy as the other members. He turned it down to do Beverly Hills Cop, and the role went to Hudson instead. He talked a number of times (including very recently) about how he was promised he'd be as much a lead as the other guys (a concern for him, as he didn't want to turn out to be the token black guy), and how much his role kept diminishing with every new version of the script. Watching the movie now, it's painful (and Hudson talked about how painful it was for him (while, and this is important, still being full of praise for his co-stars) how small his role is. Compared to the other Ghostbusters, he hardly has any personality to speak of, he hardly has any scenes/lines, and, plot-wise, there's really no reason for him to be in the movie. They also completely ignored him in the marketing - he wasn't even on the poster while the other three were, only the other three were invited for the talk show circuit, etc. It's not a movie about four Ghostbusters, it's a movie about three Ghostbusters and another guy who also happens works there, in the background.

And I say all this as someone who absolutely loves the original movie. But there definitely are some problems with how Ernie Hudson was handled in that movie. Saying that that's just people stirring up controversy is ignoring the history of racial issues in Hollywood, something that still hasn't been resolved.

Sanjuro

And I say all this as someone who absolutely loves the original movie. But there definitely are some problems with how Ernie Hudson was handled in that movie. Saying that that's just people stirring up controversy is ignoring the history of racial issues in Hollywood, something that still hasn't been resolved.

It's not that cut and dry in this case. I think it would be really interesting to see the variants of the screenplay over time.

At least for the first film, I think the biggest issue is that Ernie Hudson isn't a comedian or had a rapport with any of the cast members. If the film had Murphy or let's say Pryor, I'm not sure they could do the same film.

The reason it's regretful in hindsight is because of the success of the film. Winston is pretty much a principal character in the animated series and sequel.

I'm gonna go ahead and post Hemsworth''s new character vignette in this thread because it's more relevant to the trailer than the newer posters. Also that thread has predictably become a dumpster fire at this point. Just watch it. It's GOOD.

This remake looks rather pointless.

Ghostbusters was already a great movie, it didn't need remaking. Why don't studios try remaking bad movies with semi-interesting ideas (i.e. Catwoman).

Dali

The white members of the team in the original weren't portrayed as one-sided as you might be alluding to.
Bill and Dan's characters were both silly. Ernie's was more like a sensible dude.

I guess if people want to find race issues they'll find them somehow.

Here's a quote from a little background someone wrote on Winston on the original GB's IMDB page:

"As time went by, he became the translator of Ray Stantz's long-winded, jargon-filled explanations of supernatural occurances into simple terms, that they could be understood by normal folk, usually the Mayor of New York, Lenny Clotch."
Winston was the "sensible" one. He was also the least educated, "street smart" guy. He played a stereotypical black person role. If you're saying the rebooted black character is worse than Winston, then based on the trailers I'll agree.

D.Lo

Ernie Hudson's role in the original Ghostbusters definitely has some nasty racial undertones. He was very much the token black member of the team. Both Ernie Hudson and Dan Aykroyd have commented on that since then. I'm not saying that the writers/other actors in the movie were racist, just that the way the Hollywood system worked back then (and frankly still does) and the way his role turned out definitely were. Describing that as 'people who just want to see racism' is pretty problematic IMO.

His role was originally much bigger, and written for Eddie Murphy. He was supposed to be as much a part of the team and the comedy as the other members. He turned it down to do Beverly Hills Cop, and the role went to Hudson instead. He talked a number of times (including very recently) about how he was promised he'd be as much a lead as the other guys (a concern for him, as he didn't want to turn out to be the token black guy), and how much his role kept diminishing with every new version of the script. Watching the movie now, it's painful (and Hudson talked about how painful it was for him (while, and this is important, still being full of praise for his co-stars) how small his role is. Compared to the other Ghostbusters, he hardly has any personality to speak of, he hardly has any scenes/lines, and, plot-wise, there's really no reason for him to be in the movie. They also completely ignored him in the marketing - he wasn't even on the poster while the other three were, only the other three were invited for the talk show circuit, etc. It's not a movie about four Ghostbusters, it's a movie about three Ghostbusters and another guy who also happens works there, in the background.

I see no racial issues there, just the fact that a role written for a superstar black comedian ended up going to a non-comedian newcomer, and was therefore cut down to give more prominence to the other three who were much more famous comedians.

It was a part for a black actor because it was written for Murphy, so even the 'token blackness' of the role can be easily explained by the production history.

On the other hand, it was super weird that they didn't give him the part to voice Hudson in the animated series...

Apt101

This is just unfortunate, all of it. I'm going to go see it because I love Ghostbusters and Kristen Wiig, but uh. It keeps looking worse and worse.

spekkeh

Banned
Winston was the "sensible" one. He was also the least educated, "street smart" guy. He played a stereotypical black person role. If you're saying the rebooted black character is worse than Winston, then based on the trailers I'll agree.
Being a sensible generally smart normal blue collar is not a stereotypical role. He wasn't a magical negro type, nor from the hood. You could call it typical that he was the only non professor, making him perhaps kind of a token. There's some merit to that, but it's easily explained from a production standpoint. Luckily he got a bigger role (and some of the best jokes) in 2.

NIGHT-

In the newest game, didn't Winston talk about getting his doctorate?

Winston was always my favorite buster, as he was smart, but not to the point of being an idiot. Smart enough to know when to shut up and when to throw out a joke.

inky

The trailer wasn't very good but it certainly doesn't deserve this distinction

Yup. It looks unoriginal (duh) and uncreative and unfunny but you could say that about almost every Hollywood movie.

I saw trailers for TMNT 2 and Tarzan in the theaters yesterday, and not only does the above still apply, they probably look even worse than this movie to me. This is just another whatever film, not the worst thing ever made in the history of mankind.

Ouch. Makes sense though. The ghostbusters franchise is very well known and beloved. This new one has just missed the mark completely on what people loved in the films. I don't feel bad for all the hate and back lash it's getting, maybe this will send a message to Hollywood.

From the article:
As the website Screencrush notes, the trailer’s unusual ratio of views to dislikes suggests a concerted campaign to vote down the video.

From that article:
The Ghostbusters trailer currently has 507,610 dislikes on YouTube. To put that in perspective, the Fantastic Four trailer from last year has only 20,175 dislikes. The Ridiculous Six trailer, which has an impressive 0% on Rotten Tomatoes, has only 5,803 dislikes. Could Ghostbusters be that much worse than either of those two movies? It’s seems unlikely knowing what we know about both Fantastic Four and Ridiculous Six. What is actually happening is that a certain subset of people on the internet have an unhealthy fixation with hating on the Ghostbusters remake and are teaming up to downvote it into oblivion.

Consider some of the rest of the videos on this playlist, which ranks the Top 100 most “disliked” videos on YouTube (current as of April 16, 2016). With 507,610 thumbs down votes, the Ghostbusters trailer is the most disliked movie trailer in the history of YouTube and currently the only movie trailer that even cracks the Top 100. The only other movie-related videos on the list include two versions of “Let It Go” from Frozen.

And that’s really the bigger problem here. It’s not that people disliked the movie on an organic level. As shown above with Fantastic Four and Ridiculous Six, even when people don’t like a movie they don’t “dislike” it this much. The thumbs down votes aren’t organic, they’re part of a coordinated attack on the film by people who are opposed to its very existence. There have even been reports across the web that angry fans are using bots to artificially drive up the “dislikes” on the trailer. What’s worse, there’s a culture of misogyny and toxicity to YouTube comments that fosters this type of attitude. Just a quick look at the same trailer posted by Sony Pictures to Facebook shows only 12,000 “angry” votes (the Facebook version of the thumbs down “dislike”) on 22 million views.

xRaizen

This reeks of misogyny and sexism. Even if you didn't like the trailer it's cant possibly be worse than Ridiculous Six, c'mon! This is coordinated.
I disliked the video because I didn't think it was a good trailer.

I haven't seen nor do I plan on watching Ridiculous Six or any of it's trailers.

Am I part of the problem?

I haven't seen nor do I plan on watching Ridiculous Six or any of it's trailers.

Only if you disliked it because it features women instead of men like many people do even though few would acknowledge that.

NR1

This reeks of misogyny and sexism. Even if you didn't like the trailer it's cant possibly be worse than Ridiculous Six, c'mon! This is coordinated.

Please...

Ghostbusters is a remake of a very well-known and beloved franchise. Ridiculous 6 is another release in a long pathetic series of films by Adam Sandler. Obviously a greater number of people are going to actively search out and watch a Ghostbusters trailer comparatively. The trailer was horrible. A reboot of this series in not wanted or needed. People generally have a negative opinion of Sony's/ Feig's direction with this reboot. Sure there are people out there that have a problem with the female cast, but I maintain that they are a vocial minority like Trump supporters.

I maintain that they are a vocial minority like Trump supporters.

I don't think you quite understand what you just wrote.

Please. Don't be the guy that tries to defend gamergate because it has gamer in the title.

Goodstyle

Please...

Ghostbusters is a remake of a very well-known and beloved franchise. Ridiculous 6 is another release in a long pathetic series of films by Adam Sandler. Obviously a greater number of people are going to actively search out and watch a Ghostbusters trailer comparatively. The trailer was horrible. A reboot of this series in not wanted or needed. People generally have a negative opinion of Sony's/ Feig's direction with this reboot. Sure there are people out there that have a problem with the female cast, but I maintain that they are a vocial minority like Trump supporters.

Oh come on dude. There's disliking something, and then there's making it literally the most disliked trailer in history. You are lying to yourself if you don't think there's more at play than simple internet reboot hate.

Also funny how you're using Trump, seeing as his "vocal minority" is helping him wipe the floor with his opponents. The lesson here? Don't underestimate the ugliness of people.

It's bad if you see prejudice everywhere.

But it is worse to assume it does not exist, or that if it does, it is only a small number of people that hold it.

Nephtis

It's really too bad that the video is so disliked, but it's not without merit. I think it would have been disliked a lot less if this had been a sequel instead of a reboot.

Robocop and TMNT have both bombed. I put this movie in the same level as the two I mentioned, if we are to go by the trailer (which typically shows the best bits).

NR1

This film already has a uphill battle at the box office, so I can't wait to see how people try to explain how it was all a coordinated effort by sexists to have it bomb at the BO.

JULY 9
Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates (Comedy)
The Secret Life of Pets (Animation)

JULY 15
Ghostbusters (Sci-Fi Comedy)

JULY 22
Star Trek Beyond (Sci-Fi Adventure)
Ice Age Collision Course (Animation)

JULY 29
Bad Moms Comedy)
Jason Bourne (Action)

AUGUST 5
Suicide Squad (Action)

Its got some tough competition leading up to and following its release. It has got to make the bulk of its money in its release week. Its not going to set the BO of fire like the original, I can tell you that much for certain. The original Ghostbusters has an adjusted domestic gross for inflation of $610,670,600. We are talking about Jurassic World and Marvel's The Avengers level of success to meet the original film's BO performance.

Paul Feig's highest grossing film is Bridesmaids at $169M domestically. That's also Melissa McCarthy's highest grossing film domestically, followed by The Heat which is Feig's 2nd highest grossing film too.

SONY REBOOTS OF POPULAR 1980s FRANCHISES
Robocop reboot (2014) Domestic Total Gross: $58,607,007
Total Recall reboot (2012) Domestic Total Gross: $58,877,969
The Karate Kid (2010) Domestic Total Gross: $176,591,618
Godzilla (1998) Domestic Total Gross: $136,314,294

I think it is completely fair and reasonable to assume the reboot will make on the low end $150M and on the high end $186M. With a reported budget of $154M (without marketing), I think it will be a financial failure. Critically, we will have to wait and see, but if the leaked script details are true, then I think it will be panned by critics too.

Sanjuro

It's really too bad that the video is so disliked, but it's not without merit. I think it would have been disliked a lot less if this had been a sequel instead of a reboot.

Robocop and TMNT have both bombed. I put this movie in the same level as the two I mentioned, if we are to go by the trailer (which typically shows the best bits).

TMNT didn't bomb. Even the 2007 variant.

I think the movie looks like crap so far, but I can't deny the level of sexism and vitriol has that has been directed at the movie for having a female cast. It's a shame because I feel like when it actually releases it's going to be extremely divisive whether its good or not.

This film already has a uphill battle at the box office, so I can't wait to see how people try to explain how it was all a coordinated effort by sexists to have it bomb at the BO.

The film needs to land somewhere over 200 mil domestic, I think. $250 or is probably where they'd like it to wind up on the lower end, seeing as it cost 150 to make. Star Trek Beyond is going to cut into their profits significantly if the movie isn't good. But if it is good, they won't take too much of a hit - especially since Star Trek Beyond has its own marketing problems right now. If Ghostbusters is bad, yeah, it's gonna get beat up pretty quickly by Trek & Bad Moms in week 2 & 3.

If it's a bad movie you won't have to worry about anyone of note trying to fabricate an excuse for why a bad movie did poorly at the box-office, and the people who would push that narrative will likely find themselves occupying the same space the people pushing the "SupportDCFilms" nonsense are currently wallowing in.

But then again, trying to draw a straight line from that sad/ridiculous sort of scenario to the easily observable phenomenon behind the YouTube dislikes is not much more than straight-up gaslighting for no good reason.

Waterdrop

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

The remake of TMNT: Honestly, I did not look at the reviews before I watched the movie, I went into it with a clean slate, and I can honestly say I really enjoyed the movie, I remember thinking the whole time "This is way better than I expected", than of course I went on rotten tomatoes, and it bombed.

I found the characters charming, even tho they looked ridiculous, and 2bh they kept the humor style which I enjoyed back in the older movie days.

Not sure why all the hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom