• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters reboot cast announced - McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, because you will back his claim yet refuse to cite what Blockbuster movie Wes Anderson had to make in order to get The Grand Budapest made.

The Grand Budapest isn't a blockbuster movie, and he's never made blockbuster movies. Your question isn't even relevant.

You're arguing semantics dude.

No, you're showcasing your inability to have actually understood the gist of my argument in the first place. This isn't a semantic issue that's preventing us from finding common ground. You're literally not getting the point I was making.

Mrmartel

Banned
I think this movie will have an average take at best in Domestic box office pull. But it will horribly bomb internationally. Comedies are very culture centric. They just can't penetrate into other cultures where fart/sex jokes just don't work. The audience is more disgusted than anything.

The thing in this case, though, is that the core concept was ripe for sequels/franchising but they're opting to redo the original instead.

This remake is also apparently looking more and more like a reboot in name only and not a retelling of the same story with the same characters. It's really just slapping a brand onto something to get more butts in seats. There's a lot of transparent Hollywood sleaze on this project at the moment.

Remakes are definitely going to keep happening, but I guess people don't have to be happy about it.

Just pitching it as all female is already a pretty strong testament to the fact that this isn't just some sleazy branding exercise.

There's not many eight year old boys going to run out to buy the Melissa McCarthy action figure.

Mrmartel

Banned
In what countries are farts not funny?

List them. I will add them to my personal do not fly lists.

Fart jokes are funny in the west and I'd say good portions of the world get a laugh out of a harmless fart joke, but I think modern comedy went from simple fart jokes to full on dirrahea exploding comedy. The shock/gross out humor always try's to one up itself. Really more like fecal explosion jokes. That said, we are much more progressive in our shit jokes than the rest of the world. Of course I'm just going by every gross out comedy in history to be released outside the west that ends in failure.

Unless you can point out to a recent comedy by Mccarthy, Rogen, Farrell, Sandler whatever.. that did well in places like Eastern Europe, Asian, Middle East, Africa, or Latin America?

Blader

Yes and no. If you're going to have a new story with new characters, why label it Ghostbusters at all?

The answer is, of course, money, and not much else. A sequel, at the very least, would feel a little less creatively bankrupt in that you could cover new territory with the base creative team. A reboot, as history has shown, is basically recycling the most lucrative elements in place of creating an entirely original idea.

Men in Black, for example, is clearly inspired by Ghostbusters, but it's not the same thing.

I've never really thought of Men in Black as a take on Ghostbusters. It is, however, a (Marvel) comic book movie, so maybe not the greatest of examples. :p

Sure, they use the name "Ghostbusters" on this because of the brand recognition. But had they done the same story, same cast, same director, etc. just under a different title, wouldn't it just be accused of being "so basically, it's Ghostbusters"?

I just don't see how a reboot with a new cast, crew, and (allegedly) take on the premise makes this movie any more or less creatively bankrupt than doing a third movie with the same cast and crew as the first two. I'd grant you the point if this movie is just a beat-by-beat remake of the original's, but the initial report seems to be that it's a very different set-up and plot structure from the first movie.

KalBalboa

Banned
I've never really thought of Men in Black as a take on Ghostbusters. It is, however, a (Marvel) comic book movie, so maybe not the greatest of examples. :p

Sure, they use the name "Ghostbusters" on this because of the brand recognition. But had they done the same story, same cast, same director, etc. just under a different title, wouldn't it just be accused of being "so basically, it's Ghostbusters"?

I just don't see how a reboot with a new cast, crew, and (allegedly) take on the premise makes this movie any more or less creatively bankrupt than doing a third movie with the same cast and crew as the first two. I'd grant you the point if this movie is just a beat-by-beat remake of the original's, but the initial report seems to be that it's a very different set-up and plot structure from the first movie.

That's fair, but I guess we'll just have to disagree there. The movie is clearly really special to me so maybe that's why I'm holding it more sacred than most. Let me put it to you this way- what felt more creatively bankrupt: The Amazing Spiderman or Spiderman 2?

Men in Black was certainly inspired by Ghostbusters, though. I think that's not hard to agree on. My point there is that you can be inspired by something, make a new idea, and bring something fresh into the world instead of recycling IP.

Just pitching it as all female is already a pretty strong testament to the fact that this isn't just some sleazy branding exercise.

There's not many eight year old boys going to run out to buy the Melissa McCarthy action figure.

The idea there, of course, is to get 8 year old girls buying Melissa McCarthy action figures.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Xzl4kBZ.jpg

https://twitter.com/cameronMstewart/status/560841890384605185

I'm all for this movie. I like Melissa McCarthy so bring it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Always love it when people in "nerd" industries turn on the customers they owe their career to because they feel comfortable with a newer one, all to defend what is ostensibly going to be a Shit to Average movie reboot.

Stereotype shitslinging is fine when its not the one you're constantly internet furious about, huh.

1) Do you think that audiences are open to new stories being told using old brands?

I think they are, yes. In fact, I think one of the more sneaky means in which writers/directors are going to have to get original/newer ideas/stories introduced to audiences is THROUGH pre-existing, recognizable branding. It's not happening anywhere near as much as I would like, but there are examples of improved storytelling happening by taking an existing brand, and then hollowing it out and filling it with something worthwhile and entertaining.

2) Do you think studios are open to using old brands to incite people to hear their new stories or to make easy money? If the latter, could this be why people hate this film for being (symbokically) "Hollywood " as it were.

That one's harder. I think studios are mostly concerned with capitalizing on the branding, period, and they're not necessarily concerned with how unless they can be sold that the way it's being done would make them more money than just doing a one-for-one. I think Sony wouldn't have rolled with an all-female Ghostbusters reboot unless someone there was convinced there was a possibility the film could tap both the male and female demographics in a way the previous movie didn't. It doesn't have to sell as many tickets as the original did to double the money that comes in, either.

Like, we got that RoboCop, GB, whatever, back then were "toy" movies but there was still fun to be had and layers to be explored in some instances when you had a lead actor who brought in a gravitas to the plate.

This is where we break, though. Robocop and Ghostbusters weren't toy movies. They BECAME toy movies retroactively when the marketing machines first started winding up (again, the way movie marketing has grown and become its own crazy beast really didn't start until the 80s, and has strongly influenced the way audiences take in their entertainments) and began actively trying to turn anything it could into multimedia franchises. Back then, "franchise" wasn't necessarily the greatest of words to describe a film. The word hadn't lost its meaning completely. Now "franchise" simply means "sequel" to us. Or hell, movies that don't even HAVE sequels are still called "Franchises" depending on how much merch we might want to buy based on that movie.

That's how successful that machine has gotten. Audiences don't even question why they think of films in terms of "franchise," or of stories as "IPs" - we use corporate speak to describe our choice in entertainments VOLUNTARILY. That didn't happen by accident.

But Robocop wasn't made to be a merch-moving toy-seller, and neither was Ghostbusters. They were made to be movies - a nasty little action/satire in the first case, a weird sci-fi/comedy in the second. They then became saturday morning cartoons and toy empires completely divorced from the movies that spawned them. People are now conflating what happened after the movies were released with the intentions of the people who made the films before they were made. And they're doing that because we've grown up in a consumerist atmosphere that has essentially trained us to focus on branding above most other influences.

Always love it when people in "nerd" industries turn on the customers they owe their career to because they feel comfortable with a newer one, all to defend what is ostensibly going to be a Shit to Average movie reboot.

Stereotype shitslinging is fine when its not the one you're constantly internet furious about, huh.

Not even sure what any of this means.

Ghostbusters isn't even a "nerd" movie.

Apart from Bridesmaids their movies have generally tanked. Although McCarthy was great in St. Vincent. Not sure what Wiig has done lately though.

Skeleton Twins. Modest success for an independent film, I believe.

Basically, they're both coming off of small scale indie films, although McCarthy will have done a big R-Rated comedy before Ghostbusters finally drops, though.

Yeah good point. With that said, I'll be shocked if they go walk past shallow waters to entertain people.
They're still going after money, just not parent money.

Well yeah it's a movie, they want money. I'd say if you've seen Bridesmaids and The Heat you know how deep the water's going to be.

edit: The Heat did well, not as well as Bridesmaids but in the ball park. I'd argue Sandra Bullock may have scared off a lot of the men who enjoyed Bridesmaids too.

edit: Either way, Feig's entire domestic take is probably comparable to the opening weekend of a big blockbuster. This isn't going to be that.

The idea there, of course, is to get 8 year old girls buying Melissa McCarthy action figures.

Not with this film it ain't.

That HitFix article allegedly got carved up by Sony. So does that mean they were on the money with their leaks?

EDITOR'S NOTE: We originally had more plot and character details here. However, our good friends at Sony sent an actual ghost to the HitFix office this afternoon, and after several hours of being slimed repeatedly and being picked up and flown around upside down, we have come to believe that perhaps we would be better served by holding our description to broad strokes. Our apologies to anyone who missed the original report, and to Sony. Now please send someone to get this ghost out of here. Please? Seriously... please?

About Bill Murray being the Walter Peck-type character:
Again, I apologize, but the ghost just stole my pants and I'm afraid things are going to get really bad if I leave the name of the actor here.

Aykroyd was asked his thoughts by the Hollywood Reporter yesterday. He responded in classic old-weird-Dan style:

The Aykroyd family is delighted by this inheritance of the Ghostbusters torch by these most magnificent women in comedy. My great grandfather, Dr. Sam Aykroyd, the original Ghostbuster, was a man who empowered women in his day, and this is a beautiful development in the legacy of our family business.

Looks like Aykroyd is feelin' it.

When you look only at the top 10 numbers for each year, there definitely seems like less original movies being released in general.

That's one thing that's odd. Using charts of what audiences watched to prove there are less original films being made is odd.

What? American Sniper is an adaptation of a book that never saw a film interpretation prior to its recent release. I do not think that a first film adaptation is a case against originality.

Again, it was a popular book that Warner Bros signed and decided they weren't making unless they could get Bradley Cooper to do it. It started with Steven Spielberg as director. This wasn't an emotional product. It was very much in line with Hollywood's style of minimizing risk. American Sniper was not an original script.

It is what we call an Oscar Bait film, released to garner studio prestige. Generally these films are released in December or January, right before Oscar voting, to keep the films fresh in the Academy's minds. See also: Selma and Imitation Game. That's not to say they aren't passionate products, but they run counter to normal major studio development.

Your last point regarding original projects only getting traction when a director has scratched a studios back by working on popcorn flicks is also criminally false. Yes, it does happen but the two can be mutually exclusive. Wes Anderson. Clint Eastwood. Alejandro Inarritu...

I though we were talking about blockbusters here, hence why people keep posting the Top 10 films.

Birdman was made for $18 million. Grand Budapest Hotel is $30 million. (Both were Fox Searchlight) Eastwood's past film was based on a musical: $40 million. Fincher (who did Gone Girl, an adaptation, for $61 million) has already said his next project will be a television season. This is not to say these artistic films don't exist, but many of there's still many adaptations on the lower end of the spectrum. Jumping above a budget of $100 million is unheard of, and even cruising above $20 million tends to require a few past successes for executives to bank on.

Here's Steven Soderbergh:

Well, how does a studio decide what movies get made? One thing they take into consideration is the foreign market, obviously. It’s become very big. So that means, you know, things that travel best are going to be action-adventure, science fiction, fantasy, spectacle, some animation thrown in there. Obviously the bigger the budget, the more people this thing is going to have to appeal to, the more homogenized it’s got to be, the more simplified it’s got to be. So things like cultural specificity and narrative complexity, and, god forbid, ambiguity, those become real obstacles to the success of the film here and abroad.

So then there’s the expense of putting a movie out, which is a big problem. Point of entry for a mainstream, wide-release movie: $30 million. That’s where you start. Now you add another 30 for overseas. Now you’ve got to remember, the exhibitors pay half of the gross, so to make that 60 back you need to gross 120. So you don’t even know what your movie is yet, and you’re already looking at 120. That ended up being part of the reason why the Liberace movie didn’t happen at a studio. We only needed $5 million from a domestic partner, but when you add the cost of putting a movie out, now you’ve got to gross $75 million to get that 35 back, and the feeling amongst the studios was that this material was too “special” to gross $70 million. So the obstacle here isn’t just that special subject matter, but that nobody has figured out how to reduce the cost of putting a movie out. There have been some attempts to analyze it, but one of the mysteries is that this analysis doesn’t really reveal any kind of linear predictive behavior, it’s still mysterious the process whereby people decide if they’re either going to go to a movie or not go to a movie. Sometimes you don’t even know how you reach them. Like on Magic Mike for instance, the movie opened to $38 million, and the tracking said we were going to open to 19. So the tracking was 100% wrong. It’s really nice when the surprise goes in that direction, but it’s hard not to sit there and go how did we miss that? If this is our tracking, how do you miss by that much?

I know one person who works in marketing at a studio suggested, on a modestly budgeted film that had some sort of brand identity and some A-list talent attached, she suggested, “Look, why don’t we not do any tracking at all, and just spend 15 and we’ll just put it out”. They wouldn’t do it. They were afraid it would fail, when they fail doing the other thing all the time.

And the kicker, less studio films:

In 2003, 455 films were released. 275 of those were independent, 180 were studio films. Last year 677 films were released. So you’re not imagining things, there are a lot of movies that open every weekend. 549 of those were independent, 128 were studio films. So, a 100% increase in independent films, and a 28% drop in studio films, and yet, ten years ago: Studio market share 69%, last year 76%. You’ve got fewer studio movies now taking up a bigger piece of the pie and you’ve got twice as many independent films scrambling for a smaller piece of the pie. That’s hard. That’s really hard.

Which is to say, the studios generally don't take chances. They minimize risk. That's not to say they don't make original films with original ideas. Of course they do. But on the higher end, the films that get the big money are proven winners, things they can bank on. Interstellar had a box office of $165 million, which is unheard of for an original film. It happened because Nolan had made bank with the Dark Knight Trilogy.

Nolan's career:

Following: $6,000
Memento: $5 million
Insomnia: $46 million (His first studio picture based on the success of Memento, also a remake)
Batman Begins: $150 million
The Prestige: $40 million (Adaptation of a novel)
The Dark Knight: $185 million
Inception: $160 million (Nolan gets to make his own movie after succeeding with two Batman films.)
The Dark Knight Rises: $250 million
Interstellar: $165 million (Nolan's own film again.)

Nolan was so big after The Dark Knight that studios literally fought to produce Interstellar. And they give him a high amount of freedom relative to his peers. Why? He made them money.

Let's talk about that rarity and Hollywood filmmaking. The current route is an indie film and then getting moved onto a branded project. Josh Trank directs Chronicle ($12 million), he gets moved to direct Fantastic Four. Gareth Edwards directs Monsters ($500,000), he gets moved to direct Godzilla (and Godzilla leads to Star Wars). James Gunn, Slither and Super to Guardian of the Galaxy. Duncan Jones goes from Moon to Warcraft. Peter Jackson did Dead Alive and Heavenly Creatures before landing King Kong and The Lord of the Rings. Again this is the general scope of Hollywood. Minimize risk. Proven property, proven director.

(Some directors work with smaller production companies and distributors to keep their relative independence, like Neill Blomkamp.)

But originality of stories is not what many are arguing for. The concept of originality can be broadened to incorporate entirely new concepts, characters and stories altogether.

And that originality tends to come on the lower-budget end or in high-budget movies from directors that have "made it".

Could those movies have been told had they had different titles? Even then would oeopke's perception have been that they were original movies? Branding is a helluva drug

Could they have been told? Probably. At those budget levels? Probably not. Branding implies safety to Hollywood execs.

Wes Anderson, Alejandro Inarritu, ummm, David O Russell, David Finch....

Looooooow budget. David O. Russell's most expensive film is Three Kings. Remove that, his most expensive films are American Hustle ($40 million) and The Fighter ($20 million). Cheap films that play well. High-end, low-end.

Let's review, ha ha. I was specifically responding to a point MHWilliams made when he asserted that original ideas, not Blockbusters per se, don't get studio push unless a Director agrees to some stipulation that he/she make marketable movies first. He cited Nolan and Batman as an example of what had to be done before Nolan could do Interception. I said no. I cited examples of Director names. You said yes. Now we are hyah.

And you are largely incorrect. You want to get a solid mid-range budget these days? You have to be a name director (previous success required) and have a property behind you. Gone are the days where you can be like David Fincher and jump directly into a studio film (Alien 3 in his case.)

1) Do you think that audiences are open to new stories being told using old brands?

Yes.

2) Do you think studios are open to using old brands to incite people to hear their new stories or to make easy money? If the latter, could this be why people hate this film for being (symbokically) "Hollywood " as it were.

Very much yes. As I said, minimizing risk.

I think audiences see "intent". Like, we got that RoboCop, GB, whatever, back then were "toy" movies but there was still fun to be had and layers to be explored in some instances when you had a lead actor who brought in a gravitas to the plate. There was also a sense of awe because the experience was fresh, even if not particularly deep.

But this squanders the "intent" of the directing and writing team. Insomnia was a remake, but Nolan did heavy rewrites to the script to make it "his" film.

But Robocop wasn't made to be a merch-moving toy-seller, and neither was Ghostbusters. They were made to be movies - a nasty little action/satire in the first case, a weird sci-fi/comedy in the second. They then became saturday morning cartoons and toy empires completely divorced from the movies that spawned them. People are now conflating what happened after the movies were released with the intentions of the people who made the films before they were made. And they're doing that because we've grown up in a consumerist atmosphere that has essentially trained us to focus on branding above most other influences.

I think the original Star Wars really started the trend of merchandising movies. though in that case, 20th century fox game up the merchandising rights to George Lucas because they didn't think that the movie would be a hit in any way. And that was something that Lucas really capitalized on. But after that, movie studios really started to wise up the the potential branding that movies could have. Yeah, the original Ghostbusters wasn't conceived as a toy movie, it was just "a movie". But it was an early example of a film from the 80s' that did capitalize on marketing. The sequel was almost purely driven by its marketing and merchandising, on the other hand. The only other movie from 1989 that overshadowed Ghostbusters II was Tim Burton's Batman.

That's one thing that's odd. Using charts of what audiences watched to prove there are less original films being made is odd.

I personally don't think it is odd, myself. I think it is a good indication in what Hollywood studios are more likely to invest their money in when creating movies. I'm not saying that original movies don't get made, they do, but tend to usually fall under smaller budgets. I think when a large studio looks at a new original films they tend to look at it as a potential long running franchise that they could turn into a longer running series.

bleh, for a comedy they sure are not really hiring many funny people to do it.

Ditto. McCarthy ain't shit. She's made a career from being over weight and obnoxious instead of comedic substance. Idiot audiences eat this up, of course. McKinnon is meh. Don't know about Jones to judge. Wiig is ok at best.

Truly a waste to shed more mainstream light on better female comedians.

abadguy

Banned
Wish i could be as excited for this as some here seem to be, but i expect it to be mediocre and quickly forgotten about( see Robocop and Total Recall) at best, or crap at the worst. At the moment i see nothing compelling me to think this movie will be good in anyway.
Luckily like TR and Robocop, the original movie can still be viewed as it is ( Luckily itheir directors didn't see the need to go back and fuck up their own work like George Lucas with the first Trilogy and Walter Hill with his shitty "Directors cut" of The Warriors) should this movie not deliver.

acrid

Banned
I'm very ok with this. I just hope Leslie Jones isn't "Stereotypical sassy black woman". Winston Zedmore was a great character, and Hudson played him perfect. He was an "everyday Joe" type, and his race never was never a comedic point. With Feig in charge, I have great hopes.

^^^^It started out as a straight Snow Queen adaptation. I think the only original Disney film in the last couple of decades was Lilo and Stitch. Although I think they made some non-Pixar CG movies before Tangled, dunno about them (obviously excluding Pixar).

Um?? Wreck-It Ralph?? How dare you sir!!

Just a reminder GAF that there are two spiratual successors to the original Ghostbusters. The game on PS3/360 which was excellent if your a fan, and Evolution with David Duchovny.

I was just thinking of Evolution last night. I love it so much. Also a really good dynamic with the cast, and further proof that a female "Ghostbuster" could totally work. I loved that team! I wish it had done better and they'd made another one, though the cartoon series was... really fucking bad.

I mean, you got people in here still trying to sell that "When is Hollywood going to get an original idea" as if Ghostbusters itself wasn't a Hollywood movie. Or any of the other Hollywood movies Hollywood sees fit to remake in any given year.

I'm going to be honest, I've largely skimmed this conversation since I figured it was just about boxoffice stuff and not directly relating to Ghostbusters, but this caught my eye and I'm wondering: Are you trying to say that Ghostbusters was a Studio Movie? Like made by a committee just to make money? Or am I just misunderstanding since I didn't follow the entire conversation?

someday

Banned
Ditto. McCarthy ain't shit. She's made a career from being over weight and obnoxious instead of comedic substance. Idiot audiences eat this up, of course. McKinnon is meh. Don't know about Jones to judge. Wiig is ok at best.

Truly a waste to shed more mainstream light on better female comedians.
And see, I felt the same way about Chris Farley but people loved him.

Wow, I honestly had no idea. I forgot the Lion King as well. That's even more unforgivable. Does it count as an adaptation of Hamlet? Probably not.

I don't know how far back you're going, I guess if you're gonna say Lion King then we're going back ~25 years, but I'm fairly sure Emperor's New Groove is an original story as well. Dinosaur, too, but I feel filthy even saying that awful movie's name :mad:

Also Brother Bear, and Home on the Range. Rescuers Down Under? (Was The Rescuers based on a book?) Was Atlantis an adaptation of a Jules Verne book or did they just pull heavily from Verne for their designs?

I don't know how far back you're going, I guess if you're gonna say Lion King then we're going back ~25 years, but I'm fairly sure Emperor's New Groove is an original story as well. Dinosaur, too, but I feel filthy even saying that awful movie's name :mad:

Also Brother Bear, and Home on the Range. Rescuers Down Under? (Was The Rescuers based on a book?) Was Atlantis an adaptation of a Jules Verne book or did they just pull heavily from Verne for their designs?

Man, I guess I missed a bunch of Disney films.

jett

D-Member
MHWilliams said:
Gone are the days where you can be like David Fincher and jump directly into a studio film (Alien 3 in his case.)

There are still cases where this happen, like Snow White and The Huntsman (a moderate success) and 47 Ronin (an abject disaster).

antonz

And see, I felt the same way about Chris Farley but people loved him.

Farley without a doubt played up the fat joke side of things quite often but he also expanded beyond it with his physical comedy and general stuff.

Mccarthy has yet to expand herself. Even her next movie the spy one its the same old fat loser whose own mother even considered her a fat loser. Oh look she gets on a tiny scooter and falls over because you know shes so fat.

Man, I guess I missed a bunch of Disney films.

DUDE. If you haven't seen Emperor's New Groove, the next time you have ~90 minutes of free time get on Netflix and watch it. It's fantastic and at the time was unlike anything Disney had ever done before (and kinda still is). It's one of my favorite Disney movies.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
DUDE. If you haven't seen Emperor's New Groove, the next time you have ~90 minutes of free time get on Netflix and watch it. It's fantastic and at the time was unlike anything Disney had ever done before (and kinda still is). It's one of my favorite Disney movies.

Yeah, I watched it the other day because my kid suddenly went bonkers over it while flipping through Netflix. Actually a lot better than I expected.

Are you trying to say that Ghostbusters was a Studio Movie? Like made by a committee just to make money? Or am I just misunderstanding since I didn't follow the entire conversation?

You're misunderstanding because you're trying to unnecessarily redefine what "studio movie" means.

Ghostbusters was studio product. It wasn't an independent film. Columbia Pictures paid 30 million in 1984 money for that movie to be made, and more than that for the marketing, and then made a decent amount of cash on the further merchandising and licensing afterwards.

That it was a good, funny movie doesn't negate the fact it came out of the same studio system that people are decrying today. It's just that the studio in this case hired good creative types who made a good creative movie. Which is a thing that happens on studio movies sometimes.

It's basically what Sony is gambling on now, except this time they know the branding they're going to use is going to provide them the leverage they need.

I love the hell out of this movie. Its the one Disney movie I've seen that seems to be inspired by Chuck Jones' WB work more than anything. Just the tone of it, the way it plays out. It's like Disney's take on Looney Tunes. I love it.

Farley without a doubt played up the fat joke side of things quite often but he also expanded beyond it with his physical comedy and general stuff.

Mccarthy has yet to expand herself. Even her next movie the spy one its the same old fat loser whose own mother even considered her a fat loser. Oh look she gets on a tiny scooter and falls over because you know shes so fat.

You should watch The Heat if you haven't already. There are 0 fat jokes in that entire movie.

someday

Banned

You should watch The Heat if you haven't already. There are 0 fat jokes in that entire movie.

Yeah, there is more to her than fat jokes but if you avoid her stuff you won't see that. I don't watch a lot of Mike and Molly either but she's a pretty different character there than in her movies too.

I also think that an overweight woman in comedy is sort of type-cast right out of the gate. You do what you can with what you have. But, in any case, I find her funny enough to not understand the complaints that constantly follow her. Especially when Farley was so well liked.

Blader

There are still cases where this happen, like Snow White and The Huntsman (a moderate success) and 47 Ronin (an abject disaster).

Doesn't this happen like all the time? Spider-Man, Jurassic World, Star Wars, Godzilla, half of Marvel's movies.. A lot of indie or TV directors get poached by studios to do their blockbusters now.

Yeah, there is more to her than fat jokes but if you avoid her stuff you won't see that. I don't watch a lot of Mike and Molly either but she's a pretty different character there than in her movies too.

I also think that an overweight woman in comedy is sort of type-cast right out of the gate. You do what you can with what you have. But, in any case, I find her funny enough to not understand the complaints that constantly follow her. Especially when Farley was so well liked.

I think that a lot of people see her weight as the only comedy attribute she has. They know she does physical comedy, they see the typecasting and assume that it's all she's good at. It's a bummer, but, whatevs. She's badass enough to break through that stigma, and The Heat is just the beginning. This has the potential to really do a lot of good for all 4 of these ladies. It's part of the reason I'm so excited!

Doesn't this happen like all the time? Spider-Man, Jurassic World, Star Wars, Godzilla, half of Marvel's movies.. A lot of indie or TV directors get poached by studios to do their blockbusters now.

Jett was talking about directors that jumped from commercials to feature films - like Fincher - which is pretty rare now. For a while there, Propaganda Films, which does music videos and commercials, was a decent way for new directors to cut their teeth before jumping into Hollywood. Seriously, Michael Bay, Antoine Fuqua, Michel Gondry, Spike Jonze, Alex Proyas, Zack Snyder, and Gore Verbinski are all former Propaganda directors.

As I pointed out before, it's generally indie films to feature films now, which covers the movies you mentioned there.

Blader

Jett was talking about directors that jumped from commercials to feature films - like Fincher - which is pretty rare now. For a while there, Propaganda Films, which does music videos and commercials, was a decent way for new directors to cut their teeth before jumping into Hollywood. Seriously, Michael Bay, Antoine Fuqua, Michel Gondry, Spike Jonze, Alex Proyas, Zack Snyder, and Gore Verbinski are all former Propaganda directors.

As I pointed out before, it's generally indie films to feature films now, which covers the movies you mentioned there.

Ah...nvm then! That's what I get for not reading the original quoted post. --_--

Well, David Fincher was thrown into directing Alien 3 after so many other directors bailed out of it due to all the production problems. This still happens, as it did just happen with Ant-Man after Edgar Wright left. It didn't take very long for Peyton Reed to take his place.

You're misunderstanding because you're trying to unnecessarily redefine what "studio movie" means.

Ghostbusters was studio product. It wasn't an independent film. Columbia Pictures paid 30 million in 1984 money for that movie to be made, and more than that for the marketing, and then made a decent amount of cash on the further merchandising and licensing afterwards.

That it was a good, funny movie doesn't negate the fact it came out of the same studio system that people are decrying today. It's just that the studio in this case hired good creative types who made a good creative movie. Which is a thing that happens on studio movies sometimes.

It's basically what Sony is gambling on now, except this time they know the branding they're going to use is going to provide them the leverage they need.

I love the hell out of this movie. Its the one Disney movie I've seen that seems to be inspired by Chuck Jones' WB work more than anything. Just the tone of it, the way it plays out. It's like Disney's take on Looney Tunes. I love it.

Ah, ok, yes. Thanks for explaining it to me, I figured I had to be misunderstanding what you were saying.

And yes, ENG is just so good. Tight, tight writing and such snappy EVERYTHING.

Kristen Wiig is far more popular than Amy Poehler and Tina Fey. Those two are TV stars.

I love all three of these women but I think you are super, super wrong about who's more popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom