• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters (2016) Trailer #1 (Feig, Wiig, McCarthy, McKinnon, Jones)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Banned
I do kind of dig the design of the dragon ghost, or what we see of it. Doesn't really scream 'ghost' to me, but it looks like a fun creature. I wonder if it's a reference to that bat Ozzy ate on stage once.

Keihart

I honestly wish folks would take the stance of just ignoring the damn thing if it's not their cup o' tea.

You can blissfully live your live ignorant to the fact that this film exists and it no way tarnishes the original film's quality or significance.

I feel like everybody would be better off if more folks did that.

I usually don't mind but this is a case were it will be like transformers.

Once upon a time when wearing a autobot logo meant that you liked the cartoons, now eveyrone asociete them with the horrible movies.

Once upon a time the ghost busters logo meant the movies and cartoons, now it will mean this piece of ectoplasm.

there is no return, so i dont fuss about it, but i do understand the "hate" for not respecting the franchise.

That would assume that the leaked Reddit summary (which has been on the money so far) is wrong, as the poster even states at the end that it's all slapstick and nothing is scary. Nothing I've seen in the marketing so far contradicts this.

Like I said, I could be wrong, but it's not looking good.

And then Katie Dippold clarified that it was the funny kind of scary where it's about to be scary but then something funny happens because it's her favorite kind of humor or something. She referenced Shaun of the Dead, but that's not even how I'd describe Shaun of the Dead, which was closer to the original Ghostbusters and actually had some atmosphere, so I'm sort of inclined to believe that she has no idea what she's talking about. Unless she and the film proves me wrong, but Shaun of the Dead, while it certainly had some slapstick, was more naturally funny like the original GB and not try-hard funny like the jokes in the trailer are executed.

No one should be expecting anything legit here when it comes to that. Perhaps that was an original intention that Feig had, but with Dippold co-writing and the tone of the trailer, I mean I'm just doing the math here.

To clarify I don't think he meant he wanted to to be like an actual horror movie, but he said he wanted to have actually "scary" parts so that when the comedy happened, it was like a stress reliever.

I haven't read the Reddit post because I don't want to ruin the movie for myself, good or bad, before I see it. But from what others have said, even if it is 100% right about plot details, it sounds like it was written with extreme bias. Shit like "She says this cheesy line" or whatever it is I saw someone say taints the synopsis with a negative slant for anyone else reading it. "Murray tries to collect some slime and gets it everywhere" doesn't exactly do that sequence justice. Maybe that person didn't personally find it scary, so they said there's no scares. I've watched plenty of movies that have scared the shit out of me that others can watch without batting an eye.

Isn't an international trailer kind of a standard thing? It's not likely to be intended to right the wrongs of the first, is it?

Yeah they are pretty standard really and definitely not intended to right wrongs of the other trailer, even though it actually does in this case, at least to some degree anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egs6RfGenvg&feature=youtu.be

New international trailer with new scenes. I found some of this legitimately funny. The "is it a race thing or a lady thing" is very on the nose but I think its a better trailer.

"30 years ago, four FRIENDS saved the world"

Dear god, you can just see the back peddling in motion.

I will say that the new trailer is a little better than the first one, but it is still weird that they are going with the misleading intro.

Even if this movie turned out alright, the advertising has been terrible.

Glass

I don't understand the 'Is it a race thing or a lady thing?'line. Why would it be a lady thing when the other ghost buster just crowd surfed?

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Why?

What country are you in? it works find for me in Canada.

Also, I just realized that this is Sony Pictures UK, which is why they gave Chris Hemsworth an ample amount of speaking scenes.

I don't understand the 'Is it a race thing or a lady thing?'line. Why would it be a lady thing when the other ghost buster just crowd surfed?

They did?

Why would you crowd surf with the proton pack on? What if someone unintentionally breaks it and the entire venue explodes?

JoBlo to the rescue? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Y4au79xt0

Weird difference between the JoBlo upload and the Sony Pictures upload:

Sony Pictures UK:
pBBXN74.png

JoBlo:
ptkk2PW.png

Paul Feig's credits are replaced by Sony Pictures. It's also funny to note that Sony Pictures used the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movie title and not the Marc Webb movie title. How embarrassing that they have to resort to the older Spider-Man series to make themselves look good. Otherwise the trailers are the exact same.

I'm pretty sure the joke is that it's neither. She's just a giant gal and would crush them if they caught her, whereas in many other discriminatory situations it could be either of those, or both.

The joke is that it's neither. She's huge compared to McCarthy's character, so the people didn't let her fall because she's a woman or because she's black, they moved so they wouldn't get crushed.

That's my take on it anyway. Maybe there's more to the joke in the movie but it's clearly not a gender thing since they carried off McCarthy and I doubt they'd insinuate it was actually a race thing that made all those people move.

Pandy

I completely forgot to mention that I was SUPER excited to hear Hemsworth's accent after initially feeling like I wanted to wait on watching the international trailer (or not watch it at all). So many of his roles have him doing an American accent of some kind that it gets boring :/ I loved hearing it on SNL so I'm glad we'll get to hear it in this movie, too!
He was definitely the best thing in the new trailer for me.

Glass

I'm pretty sure the joke is that it's neither. She's just a giant gal and would crush them if they caught her, whereas in many other discriminatory situations it could be either of those, or both.

The joke is that it's neither. She's huge compared to McCarthy's character, so the people didn't let her fall because she's a woman or because she's black, they moved so they wouldn't get crushed.

That's my take on it anyway. Maybe there's more to the joke in the movie but it's clearly not a gender thing since they carried off McCarthy and I doubt they'd insinuate it was actually a race thing that made all those people move.

Ah yeah that's what it is. Thanks, that went over my head.

I haven't read the Reddit post because I don't want to ruin the movie for myself, good or bad, before I see it. But from what others have said, even if it is 100% right about plot details, it sounds like it was written with extreme bias. Shit like "She says this cheesy line" or whatever it is I saw someone say taints the synopsis with a negative slant for anyone else reading it. "Murray tries to collect some slime and gets it everywhere" doesn't exactly do that sequence justice. Maybe that person didn't personally find it scary, so they said there's no scares. I've watched plenty of movies that have scared the shit out of me that others can watch without batting an eye.

Oh absolutely things are subjective as hell when it comes to horror, and I agree with you that the reddit write-ups are just more subjective points of view. Anything can be made to sound bad out of context. I'm a skeptic of the movie, but even if I read the reddit stuff (avoiding spoilers like you) I wouldn't put any stock in it, even if my opinions ultimately lined up with it after actually seeing it. But that's beyond the point.

Bernbaum

Both trailers are poorly edited and I don't think the complete film will be all that great, but hot-damn if I haven't played the clips a whole bunch for the awesome mix of the Ghostbusters theme.

Timu

JoBlo to the rescue? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Y4au79xt0

Weird difference between the JoBlo upload and the Sony Pictures upload:

Paul Feig's credits are replaced by Sony Pictures. It's also funny to note that Sony Pictures used the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movie title and not the Marc Webb movie title. How embarrassing that they have to resort to the older Spider-Man series to make themselves look good. Otherwise the trailers are the exact same.
It's better...but I still don't like the humor.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
The international trailer isn't much better. If anything it makes me more worried. All of the jokes are so bottom of the barrel.

Red Devil

International trailer is better, but I've never been that into Ghostbusters to begin with, so I probably will never see this unless invited by friends.

By the way, does Ghostbusters actually have that big of a following? The logo is awesome, and the movie and cartoon were fun, but does it have that much of a fanbase to require this movie being made?

It has a big following even outside United States. For years people wanted a Ghostbusters 3 movie(if I recall correctly there was an episode of The Critic about it), of course the dream has been gone since one of the main four guys passed away. Although they even admitted that the 2009 video game(the one for PS3, 360 and PC) is sort of a third movie in a way.

About $150 million at last count. Guessing that doesn't include P&A or factor all the associated costs with the scripts written over the years.

Actually, it probably does. Pre-production on stalled versions of the film will get rolled into the accounting for the finished version.

The two examples that jump to mind are Mad Max: Fury Road and Superman Returns.

Couldn't have been much. It looks like a made-for-TV Nickelodeon movie.

Jeezus

If both occur, then they cancel each other out. If anything, I've seen far stronger hate pre-viewing for Spy than I saw as far as praise goes, so if anything, the score is deflated. Seriously, you sure do try pretty hard to justify making pointless posts and ignoring the points of the posts you're replying to.

Like you're ignoring my point that people watch movies they think they will like so the score is instantly skewed towards positive.

Like you're ignoring my point that people watch movies they think they will like so the score is instantly skewed towards positive.

You didn't introduce that point until well into our discussion, which I guess means at some point you were simply offering nothing of value.

Again, my point still stands - Spy received negative reception for its trailer, and got positive reception for the actual product that was delivered. You not liking it means literally nothing to me because it doesn't affect my point to even the slightest degree.

I gotta say, the crowd surfing scene is terrible. The trailer doesn't offer an explanation for why Jones' character is allowed to drop to the floor, it just feels like a tired joke that, if it appeared in another film, it would be too soon.

Pretty sure Bobby was kidding, he seems very well-versed in how this stuff works. It's likely coincidence.

I don't think it's directly related to this, but Sony hasn't a movie truly hit with its marketing for almost 2+ years now. There's an argument that the last movie Sony made that you legit saw "the internet" get hyped for was either ASM2 or maybe 22 Jump Street.

You didn't introduce that point until well into our discussion, which I guess means at some point you were simply offering nothing of value.

Again, my point still stands - Spy received negative reception for its trailer, and got positive reception for the actual product that was delivered. You not liking it means literally nothing to me because it doesn't affect my point to even the slightest degree.

And that doesn't stop it being an objectively bad film, using tired jokes and what is considered poor forms of humour.

nkarafo

That second trailer was just as cringy as the first, if not more. The crown surfing, more slapstick, more "mute the music so we can hear a long, lame joke", etc.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I don't think it's directly related to this, but Sony hasn't a movie truly hit with its marketing for almost 2+ years now. There's an argument that the last movie Sony made that you legit saw "the internet" get hyped for was either ASM2 or maybe 22 Jump Street.

Spectre. But that's Bond, it basically sells itself.

The Brothers Grimsby 2016 March 11, 2016
The 5th Wave 2016 January 22, 2016
Concussion 2015 December 25, 2015
The Night Before 2015 November 20, 2015
Spectre 2015 November 6, 2015
Freaks of Nature 2015 October 30, 2015
Goosebumps 2015 October 16, 2015
The Walk 2015 September 30, 2015
Hotel Transylvania 2 2015 September 25, 2015
Ricki and the Flash 2015 August 7, 2015
Pixels 2015 July 24, 2015
Aloha 2015 May 29, 2015
Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 2015 April 17, 2015
Chappie 2015 March 6, 2015
The Interview 2014 December 25, 2014
Fury 2014 October 17, 2014
The Equalizer 2014 September 26, 2014
Sex Tape 2014 July 18, 2014
Think Like A Man Too 2014 June 20, 2014
22 Jump Street 2014 June 13, 2014
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 2014 May 2, 2014
Stalingrad 2014 February 28, 2014
Robocop 2014 February 12, 2014
The Monument's Men 2014 February 7, 2014
American Hustle 2013 December 13, 2013

American Hustle is the only one in that list that needed to be sold and got people REALLY excited IIRC.

cormack12

Gold Member
I think that new trailer is about 10 times better than the first and it probably would have been perfect without the vomit and without the concert dragon ghost thing. Still a massive improvement though.

I think there's a lot of issues at play. Like saying they want it be genuinely creepy in parts, but then using stylistic CG for the ghosts. Stylistic CG that people are used to seeing in more kid friendly films for example. That style coupled with the gags we've seen just don't sell it. Even something like 'Monster House' sets the tone in its trailer much better and that's not even mentioning films like Coraline.

For context, my wife said she thinks it looks funny but more childish than the originals. Her mate who loved bridesmaids thinks it looks 'hilarious'. To each their own I guess. I think a lot of just have to accept that they've gone in a different direction with this new reboot, and it's the opposite of fans of the original would have liked.

And that doesn't stop it being an objectively bad film, using tired jokes and what is considered poor forms of humour.

lol, okay. Shouldn't you be posting on GameFAQs or something?

Good to know that your conspiracy theory about reviews and ratings exists for no other reason than because the reviews and ratings do not agree with you.

Goodstyle

I gotta say, the crowd surfing scene is terrible. The trailer doesn't offer an explanation for why Jones' character is allowed to drop to the floor, it just feels like a tired joke that, if it appeared in another film, it would be too soon.

Jones is a large, 6ft tall woman, and easily weighs a lot more than any of her other castmates, what is there to explain?

It's an easy to get joke, but I've noticed a lot of people being obtuse about it. I've even read some comments from some people saying "Oh wow, of course this movie would make it all about race and gender!". THAT'S THE JOKE, the joke itself is mocking that perception that some people have about everything. There are guys who mock this film for "making it all about race and gender" due to a joke that's mocking the exact same thing.

If it were any other film, I suspect people would have understood the joke pretty easily, but for some reason everyone's looking at this film with rage goggles on.

Jones is a large, 6ft tall woman, and easily weighs a lot more than any of her other castmates, what is there to explain?

It's an easy to get joke, but I've noticed a lot of people being obtuse about it. I've even read some comments from some people saying "Oh wow, of course this movie would make it all about race and gender!". THAT'S THE JOKE, the joke itself is mocking that perception that some people have about everything. There are guys who mock this film for "making it all about race and gender" due to a joke that's mocking the exact same thing.

If it were any other film, I suspect people would have understood the joke pretty easily, but for some reason everyone's looking at this film with rage goggles on.

If it were any other film, I'd roll my eyes. I haven't seen that gag in ages. I hate to see it in this film.

Objectively?

Dude. You can't objectively review a movie. The closest thing we can get to objectivity is consensus and consensus on Spy was that it was a very good and funny film.

Busty

Banned
Spectre. But that's Bond, it basically sells itself.

American Hustle is the only one in that list that needed to be sold and got people REALLY excited IIRC.

Bond was produced and majority financed by MGM.

American Hustle was produced and (IIRC) majority financed by Annapurna.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom