• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters |OT| Is it the boobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then you have the "new"...uh..."weapons". The grenades were kind of neat, but I rolled my eyes at the slow motion matrix/gun/energy whips. I mean, it looked cool...it did look cool...but it destroyed any feel of Ghost Busters for me in the film. Ghost Busters with guns and grenades just sounds silly.

Don't ever play the game, then. Y'know, the one written by Dan Aykroyd that's meant to be the third movie and features all kinds of ridiculous upgrades, including a proton wand that shoots dark matter.

;P

Welp, so much for having a sequel apparently...

Ghostbusters' Heading for $70M-Plus Loss, Sequel Unlikely

Confronted by tepid box office for the reboot, the studio will instead focus on animated spinoffs.

That was the studio's last public mention of a sequel. As of Aug. 7, Ghostbusters had earned just under $180 million at the global box office, including $117 million domestic. The film still hasn't opened in a few markets, including France, Japan and Mexico, but box-office experts say it will have trouble getting to $225 million despite a hefty net production budget of $144 million plus a big marketing spend. The studio has said break-even would be $300 million.

Sony hardly is alone in suffering from audience rejection of sequels this summer. But film chief Tom Rothman and his team, along with partner Village Roadshow, had high hopes for launching a live-action Ghostbusters "universe." Now they are preparing for steep losses (think $70 million-plus) and an uncertain future for the franchise.

Sony won't comment on whether it has banished a sequel to the netherworld, but perhaps tellingly, a rep says the studio actively is pursuing an animated Ghostbusters feature that could hit theaters in 2019 and an animated TV series, Ghostbusters: Ecto Force, which is eyeing an early 2018 bow. Both are being guided by Reitman, who firmly is back in charge of the Ghostbusters empire via Ghost Corps., a subsidiary with a mandate to expand the brand across platforms.

I think we all knew it was going to struggle after those first two weekends, but could you see Ghostbusters being a solely animated franchise from now on?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'll post here what I posted on Reddit: (And was subsequently downvoted for.)

What a shame. The film wasn't perfect but I enjoyed it all the same.

The worst part is seeing the whiny fanboys and other idiots that shit on the movie from day one getting to take this as a win.

Welp, so much for having a sequel apparently...

Ghostbusters' Heading for $70M-Plus Loss, Sequel Unlikely

I think we all knew it was going to struggle after those first two weekends, but could you see Ghostbusters being a solely animated franchise from now on?

Damn it.

My wife and I really enjoyed it and I was hoping to see a resurgence in popularity for one of my favorite IPs. Oh well. I hope this doesn't effect the IDW comic.

Lothars

I'll post here what I posted on Reddit: (And was subsequently downvoted for.)

What a shame. The film wasn't perfect but I enjoyed it all the same.

The worst part is seeing the whiny fanboys and other idiots that shit on the movie from day one getting to take this as a win.
The movie didn't deserve most of the shit it got but it wasn't a good movie. I liked things about it and would like to see a sequel since I think it could have been really good. I feel it falls on Sony and Paul Feig.

Goodstyle

Not from the audience. It is actually the other way round with the audience and that may be a problem for the movie. The empty cinemas may be prove to that.

You are full of shit if you don't believe it's audience score got brigaded by angry fanboys.

Timu

Mediocre movie+bad marketing=not very successful, I saw this happening but it's worse than I thought. I'll be surprised if it does get more movies after what happened.

Chao

Finally watched this a couple of days ago.

Man, that was the mediocrest movie I've ever seen, I was forgetting the details just minutes after finishing it.

Feel bad for the kids that will grow up remembering this crappy movie as the ghostbusters of their generation

lunchtoast

Didn't care for the story and the forced references and cameos. Only one I liked was Ernie Hudsons because he didn't have to recite some reference. I enjoyed the actors with what they had to work with. Kevin was too stupid, why did they make him so stupid.

I realize this movie isn't for me and I'm sure kids will enjoy it. The ghosts looked like the ghosts you'd see in the scooby doo movies, cartoony looking, not sure what they were going for.

The only part that made me laugh was Kevin with the sandwich @ the end.

Feel bad for the kids that will grow up remembering this crappy movie as the ghostbusters of their generation

That won't happen. They didn't grow up caring about that crappy RoboCop remake, I'm sure they'll forget about this as well. If they haven't already.

Daffy Duck

I watched it last night, and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, a lot more than I thought I would.

I am a huge fan of the original films (I grew up with them) and I don't see what is so offensive about this film. It was nowhere near as bad as I though it would be.

Yes it's no Schindler's List or timeless classic, but as a switch off brain and enjoy some popcorn escapism I think it delievered.

Just a shame we are unlikely to get a sequel.

Sanjuro

Just watched the extended edition. Have to say, it was far more enjoyable than the theatrical version. I'm also not one for extended variants. Far too often they just appear to contain one scene or minor cut detail for the sake of repackaging.

The extra run time here makes this film not seem manic. There are additional subplots, dialog, and scenes don't abruptly end for no apparent reason. They also put back in Kevin's dance number. Feels like someone at Sony pushed a hard running time restriction and instead of editing the film they hired a wood chipper.

I'd say it increased my enjoyment of the film by a full grade. YMMV depending on your issue with the film.

Just watched the extended edition. Have to say, it was far more enjoyable than the theatrical version. I'm also not one for extended variants. Far too often they just appear to contain one scene or minor cut detail for the sake of repackaging.

The extra run time here makes this film not seem manic. There are additional subplots, dialog, and scenes don't abruptly end for no apparent reason. They also put back in Kevin's dance number. Feels like someone at Sony pushed a hard running time restriction and instead of editing the film they hired a wood chipper.

I'd say it increased my enjoyment of the film by a full grade. YMMV depending on your issue with the film.

How did you feel about the film the first time? I guess what I mean is, what letter grade are you giving the film now?

For someone who casually enjoyed the movie, but was mostly troubled by the editing, should I go seeking the director's cut? I've toyed with buying the movie for reasons separate from the movie's quality already lol.

Sanjuro

How did you feel about the film the first time? I guess what I mean is, what letter grade are you giving the film now?

For someone who casually enjoyed the movie, but was mostly troubled by the editing, should I go seeking the director's cut? I've toyed with buying the movie for reasons separate from the movie's quality already lol.

If your problem with the film is largely the editing, you will enjoy this version. It gives the film and characters much more room to breath. Timing of the jokes are actually hitting their note. It's not just one or two new scenes, it's a ton of small content sprinkled throughout the entire film.

I'd probably go from a low C grading to a low B. Something like that I suppose.

Mesoian

Just saw the movie for the firs ttime. Pretty sure I never want Paul Feig to direct anything ever again. He and the script writer are the weak links here.

Why is the first Chris Evan's scene longer than the two first ghost scenes? Come on man, it just runs on and on, as if there was a magic number of screen time that they HAD to hit to have Evans in it. Everytime the movie starts to get into a flow, that shit just jams it all up, it's frustrating.

Interesting. I'm now tempted to check this out..

For reference, I really did not enjoy this movie - but I do believe there were pieces of a decent film with a great cast hidden somewhere inside.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
If your problem with the film is largely the editing, you will enjoy this version. It gives the film and characters much more room to breath. Timing of the jokes are actually hitting their note. It's not just one or two new scenes, it's a ton of small content sprinkled throughout the entire film.

Very interesting. I ordered the 4K version, and had to double check to make sure it included the extended edition. I really enjoyed the movie a lot, as did my wife, and yes, my biggest issue with it was the editing and a lot of scene transitions. I thought it was entertaining and fun. It's no Ghostbusters 1 or 2, but I never expected it to be. Me and my wife are huge GB fans, and this new one reminded me of the cartoon, which I also loved. I'm glad to hear that a lot of the editing issues were addressed, and scenes were given room to breathe.

That's a fantastic relief--especially knowing that existing jokes are timed better now. My biggest problem with the movie was that any decent series of jokes felt awkward in the editing . . . I was worried that they'd leave those bits alone and just tack on completely new things.

I'm cautiously optimistic now.

Just saw the movie for the firs ttime. Pretty sure I never want Paul Feig to direct anything ever again. He and the script writer are the weak links here.

Why is the first Chris Evan's scene longer than the two first ghost scenes? Come on man, it just runs on and on, as if there was a magic number of screen time that they HAD to hit to have Evans in it. Everytime the movie starts to get into a flow, that shit just jams it all up, it's frustrating.

You mean Chris Hemsworth? Or are you in the wrong thread?

Did they change the intro titles?

longdi

Banned
Managed to catch the last act, before they confront ronan in the restaurant. The show is shit as expected, the cast were as distanced with each others as they were clueless. The jokes are bad. The ending fight is boring af. No wonder it bombed, its just another big budget soulless piece.

The old cast cameo imo doing a disservice to them and the fans. Paul feig can whine about the internet bullying but this is a shit show

The old shows have a certain charm, not my nostalgia masking things imo. Something like Doe ray egon came off naturally. The new one is full of lame cheap looking skit jokes just by the last 20 mins i saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom