• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Feig's Ghostbusters sequel could feature cities other than New York

Status
Not open for further replies.
They all say that. Seems really premature to be talking about plot details of movies when the current ones aren't even out yet (looking at you too, Star Trek.)

What costs did Disney eat with Frozen and Tangled? The latter wasn't a big hit but it still made plenty, and the former has been a massive success.

Sorry I misspoke, I just meant that they rolled the costs into the budget of the completed movie making them abnormally high compared to other movies, which is a sticking point some people seem to have with the budget for the new GB film. And let's not forget the "WHY WAS TANGLED/FROZEN'S BUDGET SO HIGH!?!" in ever single Box Office thread while they were out hahahaha. In Sony's case with 25 years of failed scripts I'm pretty sure they took that into consideration when developing this movie and any potential sequels VS what it would make back with a hugely inflated budget.

Sony is so desperate for a hit franchise right now it doesn't surprise me at all that they'd be willing to steamroll through a weak opening act if it meant they could potentially bring in the big money with sequels and spinoffs. They're crossing over 21 Jump Street and Men in Black for crying out loud. They were gonna make a fuckin Aunt May movie. They cut a deal with Marvel!

Also, this isn't before the movie is out, it came out last Thursday in the US and last Monday in Europe.

Sony has no idea what they're doing and Ghostbusters "well at least it didn't mega bomba" numbers are the perfect testament to that fact.

From what I've read, the new one isn't doing too well. Seems like they're going to need a lot more than a new city to make the franchise a success.
So yeah, i'm calling it now: the sequel will be Ghostbusters 24
Jump Street

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Sony exec said he is pretty sure another GB will be made.

As for the where, no clue. I think there may have been a hint in the post credits scene. A state is named. Maybe there.

Darklor01

Michigan?

That's literally just a random place joke

I took it that way watching it. But, then, thought, what if they actually go there chasing a ghost that gets sent there.

Edit: you're probably right. That is a rediculous place to choose.

Why first movie? And I'm pretty sure she does. Even found reference to the part I'm talking about online to verify.

Oh shit ok yes I completely forgot that part, I thought you were saying
Zuul was a place somewhere
which is why I was like err no refresh your memory. Thank you for refreshing mine! Yes I remember that now. They could go there or it could easily be setup for a spinoff with another group. All those ghosts suddenly appearing and who's gonna stop them!? Hahahaha that'd make for a funny setup, especially when the two teams eventually met. "You crazy fucks it was you!?"

Darklor01

Oh shit ok yes I completely forgot that part, I thought you were saying
Zuul was a place somewhere
which is why I was like err no refresh your memory. Thank you for refreshing mine! Yes I remember that now. They could go there or it could easily be setup for a spinoff with another group. All those ghosts suddenly appearing and who's gonna stop them!? Hahahaha that'd make for a funny setup, especially when the two teams eventually met. "You crazy fucks it was you!?"

Lol! You're welcome. I did a quick search and found out the reason that state is mentioned is because that's where Feig is from and he likes to toss in references to his home state in his movies. DOH!

spookyfish

Genysis had a sequel green lighted, too.

Until it didn't.

Hell, there was a whole trilogy planned for Terminator: Salvation.

I wouldn't pop the corks just yet.

Sorcerer

Didn't Ghostbusters 2 prove there really is not much you can do with this concept?
What more did one need to see after the brilliant first movie?

I think the cartoon worked so well is because it really had some quieter moments and the focus on the characters was pretty amazing.
You can't stretch out like that in a 2 hour movie. You have to hit certain beats leading up to a grand finale. Its just repetition.

Paul Feig's next Ghostbusters should be filmed in London.
Paul Feig should get Edgar Wright to direct it.
Paul Feig should also get Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost to write it. Pegg and Frost can star in it and then we can finally put the mess of Feig's Ghostbusters in the dustbin of history.

Maybe Paul Feig could then just be someone's PA or something.

Bluth54

Didn't Ghostbusters 2 prove there really is not much you can do with this concept?

I think the cartoon worked so well is because it really had some quieter moments and the focus on the characters was pretty amazing.
You can't stretch out like that in a 2 hour movie. You have to hit certain beats leading up to a grand finale. Its just repetition.

Read the monthly Ghostbusters comic series by IDW. There's plenty you can still do with the concept of Ghostbusters.

Not only has the monthly comic already done an arc where the Ghostbusters travel throughout America but they are currently doing an international travel arc.

Uh no? You even go on to praise the cartoon, 7 seasons of which prove there is more to be done with the concept.

As much as I honestly like Ghostbusters 2, the story for the most part is dogshit and completely unimaginative. 5 years after a portal to another world opened and a 100-foot marshmallow man walked down Central Park Ave and destroyed a church, then exploded when the top several stories of a skyscraper are blown off, people have just... forgotten ghosts exist? And the Ghostbusters are viewed as frauds? Fucking seriously?

The Vigo and Mood Slime stuff is great but it was dumb as fuck to erase the events of Ghostbusters from everyone's minds. And Aykroyd did it AGAIN in the script for Ghostbusters: Hellbent because in the 20 pages I read, the Ghostbusters are somehow yet again on the brink of financial ruin despite being a multi-location service with a fleet of 40 Ecto Units. Aykroyd is the man for the job when it comes to the paranormal factoids and technobabble, but maybe have someone else figure out the actual story...

If you want proof that Ghostbusters can survive a deep, complex, layered long-form story that could be split into several movies, read the IDW series. Nevermind that dozens of Real and Extreme Ghostbusters episodes could easily be adapted into films as well.

Genysis had a sequel green lighted, too.

Until it didn't.

Hell, there was a whole trilogy planned for Terminator: Salvation.

I wouldn't pop the corks just yet.

Genysis also had terrible reviews and word of mouth.

Ghostbusters has been well-received by critics and the word of mouth is strong. It might not make huge money but if Sony thinks there is a base to build off of they may want to cultivate it and hope for a bigger draw with Ghostbusters 2.

Sorcerer

Uh no? You even go on to praise the cartoon, 7 seasons of which prove there is more to be done with the concept.

As much as I honestly like Ghostbusters 2, the story for the most part is dogshit and completely unimaginative. 5 years after a portal to another world opened and a 100-foot marshmallow man walked down Central Park Ave and destroyed a church, then exploded when the top several stories of a skyscraper are blown off, people have just... forgotten ghosts exist? And the Ghostbusters are viewed as frauds? Fucking seriously?

The Vigo and Mood Slime stuff is great but it was dumb as fuck to erase the events of Ghostbusters from everyone's minds. And Aykroyd did it AGAIN in the script for Ghostbusters: Hellbent because in the 20 pages I read, the Ghostbusters are somehow yet again on the brink of financial ruin despite being a multi-location service with a fleet of 40 Ecto Units. Aykroyd is the man for the job when it comes to the paranormal factoids and technobabble, but maybe have someone else figure out the actual story...

If you want proof that Ghostbusters can survive a deep, complex, layered long-form story that could be split into several movies, read the IDW series. Nevermind that dozens of Real and Extreme Ghostbusters episodes could easily be adapted into films as well.

Well the written word/ comics and the tv series certainly allow the series to stretch out, and that's fantastic. I am not arguing that.

So far we have had 3 movies and they really haven't shaken things up at all. Hopefully the next film is truly something different. Just traveling to a new location doesn't mean much in itself.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
They're going to the Middle East to bust the ghost of Muhammad and Jesus. Watch out Buddha, they're coming for you next.

That would unleash a shitstorm that would make the misogynists look like angry little puppies. Muslims went apeshit over a drawing of Muhammed. What do you think they'll do when a movie comes out depicting Muhammed as an angry poltergeist?

OT:
the movie isn't doing too hot at the box-office, so a sequel is unlikely. Then again, Sony did Amazing Spider-Man 2.... so.....

Edwins

OT:
the movie isn't doing too hot at the box-office, so a sequel is unlikely. Then again, Sony did Amazing Spider-Man 2.... so.....

Amazing Spider-Man did well at the box office. 2 was a sure thing. It's the sequel that severely underperformed. The Amazing Spider-Man actually made tens of millions more than the sequel at a smaller budget, and it's domestic total was WAY bigger (around sixty million bigger).

Goodstyle

Man, there wasn't this many people eager to say Fury Road flopped when this movie actually did slightly better than it with a similar budget.

Man, there wasn't this many people eager to say Fury Road flopped when this movie actually did slightly better than it with a similar budget.

That's mostly because Fury Road is a pretty fucking bulletproof movie, quality wise

I liked Ghostbusters and all but there's flaws you can poke at

It's at about $70 million so far, domestic+foreign. It's not great, but we'll see what it does by the end of its run. If they're okay with it and are saying there's going to be more, I don't think that the theatrical+home video sales are going to be low enough to scratch their plans.

Toxi

Banned
Allegedly $144,000,000 (after all tax breaks and incentives) for production, plus about that much in marketing.
...That doesn't seem good considering its BO, barring crazy legs (and the movie apparently has a general "Eh, it's okay" reaction).

Still, Paul Feige and the cast seem passionate about it, and I've seen miracles happen (Pacific Rim 2!).

Don't forget that allegedly the budget for Answer the Call also includes all previous development work on Ghostbusters 3/Ghostbusters: Hellbent so I'm sure Sony is probably making some allowances for this movie.

Well the written word/ comics and the tv series certainly allow the series to stretch out, and that's fantastic. I am not arguing that.

So far we have had 3 movies and they really haven't shaken things up at all. Hopefully the next film is truly something different. Just traveling to a new location doesn't mean much in itself.

You asked if Ghostbusters 2 proved there's not much to be done with the concept. By virtue of the excellent cartoon and IDW series' mere existence the answer to your question is a resounding 'no'. We've had the original, then what many argue is a soulless cash-in sequel, and then a reboot that if anything was bogged down be being an origin story. The movies have barely even scratched the surface of what can be done in the Ghostbusters world. This is a universe where ectoplasmic residue can be influenced by the psychokinetic emotions of people in its immediate vicinity, and when positively charged can be used to expunge a demon from the body its possessing. The sky is practically the limit.

Edwins

These new ladies are so good that I'm personally in no hurry for the other thing, if that's still a thing.

The only other thing that's ever been solid is the animated movie. Nothing else has been stated to be anything other than an early development idea (and they're saying the Pratt/Tatum thing was never real).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom