• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dan Aykroyd will appear in Paul Feig's Ghostbusters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Blue

I'm really hoping this means it's not a reboot, but a continuation and after Egon died (the movie will have a huge meta memorial) the lab where he did his science stuff got all his equipment and some bad guy there released the ghosts (had been contained for 20+ years) and Egon's daughter is the only one that continued with the science and understanding, Ray is too old so he can't do much but Egon's daughter gets her friends together and they go bustin'.

..or something.

I'm really hoping this means it's not a reboot, but a continuation and after Egon died (the movie will have a huge meta memorial) the lab where he did his science stuff got all his equipment and some bad guy there released the ghosts (had been contained for 20+ years) and Egon's daughter is the only one that continued with the science and understanding, Ray is too old so he can't do much but Egon's daughter gets her friends together and they go bustin'.

..or something.

Nope.

Soltype

In spite of everything I'm still going to see it , but I'm going to be ready.

giphy.gif

You already did, though.

Yeah, that quote seems bad if its a representation of all the humor in the movie, but I don't really think it will be an irreversible undoing of the movie, as you claim. Can make it not fun, but don't think that is as major of a thing as you are saying, may still be enjoyable.

Mask

SPOILERS on who he'll play (it was posted, then requested to be removed by Sony)

According to Indie Revolver, Aykroyd will merely pop up as a taxi driver for a brief moment in the movie, with just enough screen time to utter the iconic "I ain't afraid of no ghosts!" Kristen Wiig's character will then reply with something along the lines of, "That’s a double negative! That means you are afraid of ghosts!"

From: http://www.latino-review.com/news/about-that-dan-aykroyd-cameo-in-the-new-ghostbusters (which the article has been removed)

Wow. People are already pissed, is trying to downplay one of the catchphrases from the original really a good idea?

Joni

SPOILERS on who he'll play (it was posted, then requested to be removed by Sony)

According to Indie Revolver, Aykroyd will merely pop up as a taxi driver for a brief moment in the movie, with just enough screen time to utter the iconic "I ain't afraid of no ghosts!" Kristen Wiig's character will then reply with something along the lines of, "That’s a double negative! That means you are afraid of ghosts!"

From: http://www.latino-review.com/news/about-that-dan-aykroyd-cameo-in-the-new-ghostbusters (which the article has been removed)

I was excited about this movie for a second. Thanks for fixing that.

It's not THAT bad. I'm thinking it'll be read like the Futurama construction guy. It'll be a quick wink. You guys and your hyperbole

Gonzalez

Banned

Yuck... So this will be as bad as the Starsky & Hutch remake.

It's not THAT bad. I'm thinking it'll be read like the Futurama construction guy. It'll be a quick wink. You guys and your hyperbole

If it was a gag in an episode of Community or something (and now that I mention it I can totally hear Abed saying that line) people would be all up on it. But being in a reboot of a beloved old property with a cast full of g-g-g-g-girls means we have to have the pitchforks out over every little thing.

adelante

Heh playing this out in my mind with Kristen's voice and personality made it funny to me :>

Real Hero

I can see it now

Female ghostbuster jumps in cab

Akroyd turns around holding one of his crystalskulls and screams THIS IS PREMIUM VODKA!!!!

Then the film ends

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
It's just "casting," and that's what they're doing.

That didn't actually save the movie, though. If anything, it introduced the source of almost every major plot-hole and plot-contrivance in both films. If it had been a clean reboot, it would have been better.

I can't speak for everyone but as a trekker/trekkie the only reason I gave the New films any time of day was the way it connected to the original universe. It was like honey that made swallowing the pill of my beloved Scifi franchise becoming a scifi/action movie reboot easier.
I think in this case it could of been the same thing where as much as Ghostbuster fanatics might hate the reboot the continuity nerd in them would be forced to recognize the torch being passed. If the rumor is true and their making Aykroyd a cab driver is going to make it a whole lot easier to dismiss this film in the grand scheme of the fandom. Then again this could be damage control to try to downplay the casting leak

The Cowboy

No kidding. You would think that the reactions to the spoiler text make it sound like they sodomize Ray Stanz with a rusty railroad spike on screen.

Well after what Dan did to poor Elwood in Blues Brothers 2000 (sorry for the reminder people :-(). I dread to think what he can do to Ray in a Ghostbusters reboot - even if its just a short cameo.

Number_6

You guys might be overreacting just a bit.

Eh, Ghostbusters had a certain heart and soul to it, a charm, a neighborhood/blue-collar kind of feel. The score and sountrack say everything, really.

Here we have a spoiler of a cynical, snarky, deadpan sort of joke that Kristen Wiig is more or less known for. Yes, a whole lot of more recent comedies take this sort of tone, but it would be hugely disappointing to a Ghostbusters fan if this was the tone of the first new movie since the 80s. Yes, the style is more recent, yes, the new film should do its own thing, but shouldn't the new movie at least feel like Ghostbusters?

So yes, this spoiler can be somewhat alarming, just on tone alone.

A lot of people are going to hate on the joke but I bet it's fun when in the moment.

I like it.

judhudson

I personally am okay with the joke. It's just that I have no idea who Wiig is - I've yet to see any of her work. I did just catch McCarthy's Spy movie and thought that was hilarious. In my mind, I picture her yelling that 'double negative' line instead.

I personally am okay with the joke. It's just that I have no idea who Wiig is - I've yet to see any of her work. I did just catch McCarthy's Spy movie and thought that was hilarious. In my mind, I picture her yelling that 'double negative' line instead.

Safest choice is to watch Bridesmaids.

Cheebo

Banned
People being salty fanboys about having women cast in the lead roles for the remake need to stop embarrassing themselves. It isnt stunt casting. It's just plain casting. Was Paul Feigs movie Bridesmaids stunt casting? Or Spy? He is just a director who primarily likes making movies with a particular group of women. Just like many directors have groups of actors they typically cast.

This isn't some precious franchise above reproach. Letting go of nostalgia makes it very clear Ghostbusters 2 was a below average movie as is. Nowhere near close to the first. Even the cast have said that.

We aren't talking about remaking Apcolype Now or Taxi Driver here with "stunt" casting. But a studio blockbuster in a franchise that has already sold out multiple times.

Cheebo

Banned
I don't understand what's wrong with that spoiler? It's just a cameo.

Let my paraphrase most of the posts online about this film:

"Don't you understand?! There are GIRLS in our precious manly ghostbusters movie! How dare they. Girls don't know how to be ghostbusters! They are are too busy painting their nails and having periods. Thus everything about this movie has to be bad. Let's all ignore the fact Paul Feig has a fantastic track record in comedy directing and writing going back to Freaks and Geeks because eww girls."

Most in this thread come across like 12 year old boys who think women have cooties pretty much.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Lol Nimoy hurt the Trek reboot so badly. It was a terrible idea and he became a narrative ex machina.

What are you talking about? The Nimoy cameo was the best part of that crappy movie. All the new Star Trek movies are full of Dues Ex Machina and plot holes. At least Nimoy's cameo gave a in story reason for the reboot.

Parch

Isn't Akroyd an EP on the film? He probably just wanted to be in the film so bad because the property meant so much to him.
He was one of the original writers. Not sure if he has any actual rights to the brand, but he certainly deserves some creative input and a cameo if he wants.

flkraven

post-30744-not-like-this-not-like-this-gi-DBvb.gif

Sephzilla

wvO9s8e.gif

Fury451

Banned
No kidding. You would think that the reactions to the spoiler text make it sound like they sodomize Ray Stanz with a rusty railroad spike on screen.

I laughed.

I didn't laugh at that spoiler joke.

So maybe it would actually be funny if they went with your statement? I don't know anymore.

Goodstyle

You guys might be overreacting just a bit.

Everything about the reactions to this movie has me convinced that GB fans are mostly super whiny manchildren. I've never felt this negatively about any fanbase before, but after the proton pack burning and the comments surrounding that... yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom