• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dan Aykroyd blasts Paul Feig, says he's not welcome at Sony after Ghostbusters

antonz

Dan just tweeted an additional comment. Seems to suggest that feedback from the original creators was probably ignored often
http://www.whosay.com/status/danaykroyd/1252309
"Paul Feig made a good movie and had a superb cast and plenty of money to do it. We just wish he had been more inclusive to the originators. It cost everyone as it is unlikely Kristen, Leslie, Melissa and Kate will ever reprise their roles as Ghostbusters which is sad

Mmh... a Ghostbusters movie set in the historic East End headlined by Mickey Flanagan, Jimmy Carr, Rachel Riley, and Sarah Solemani. Proper ;). (Just proper... ;))

flanagan-micky-image.jpg

Jimmy%20Carr.jpg

6059-rachel-riley.jpg

Sarah-Solemani-008.jpg

Bonus card, replace Carr with Nick Helms:
nick_helm.jpg

https://g.co/kgs/9v45hg

Americans like our English people, in certain categories. Villains. Sidekicks. Comic relief. Pompous idiots. Pretend Americans. Disposable victims to sacrifice to show the terrorists are serious before any "real" people in American planes get killed like in Diehard 2. Amoral spies.

But we just won't accept them taking the jerbs of our patriotic American Ghostbusters. Sorry.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
One of the worst movies I've seen in years. A complete and total shit show with no redeeming qualities besides some nice SFX. Glad it bombed so we won't have to suffer more awful nu-GB movies with that dreadfully unfunny cast.

Aykroyd was too nice in his choice of words about what a complete pile of rancid horseshit that failure of a movie is.

Fuck GB 2k16 and everyone involved in it.

antonz

It was apparent the MRA stuff etc. got to them in development because the central bad guy was basically a MRA guy and then the whole shooting the ghost in the crotch etc.

Movie probably would have flowed a lot better if they hadn't written it to be practically a response to the haters

bitbydeath

as it is unlikely Kristen, Leslie, Melissa and Kate will ever reprise their roles as Ghostbusters which is sad

Sorry Dan, but I believe they contributed a good portion to why people disregarded the movie in the first place.

Ash735

I think even Feig admitted he got caught up in twitter wars and such that he was doing things specifically to piss off haters, even though it was having a bad effect on the film.

Which considering the films incredibly poor pacing and editing, I'm not surprised.

Nope, they even knock out ghosts and leave them sprawled on the ground somehow

not just knock them out. They outright kill them in the big fight scene with their new weapons. Why even need proton packs where you can obliterate ghosts with your fists.

IrishNinja

Melissa McCarthy was terrible, the villain was terrible, lots of jokes weren't that funny besides some, the script needed work, etc.

I would even put GB2 above it.

disagree with most of that, but the villain was indeed terrible - Vigo was way better than that guy

Melissa McCarthy was terrible, the villain was terrible, lots of jokes weren't that funny besides some, the script needed work, etc.

I would even put GB2 above it.

yeah ghostbusters 2 freaking sucked but it was a more enjoyable movie than this one certainly. that court scene with rick moranis alone....

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
GB1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GB2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GB2K16

Movie didn't even feel like a GB movie - it was shot in Boston for Petes sake!

Timu

Whoa lets slow down there.
It made me less frustrated at least and doesn't have Melissa McCarthy.

disagree with most of that, but the villain was indeed terrible - Vigo was way better than that guy
I actually did like Vigo.

yeah ghostbusters 2 freaking sucked but it was a more enjoyable movie than this one certainly. that court scene with rick moranis alone....
The court scene is honestly better than anything in GB 2016, and more memorable too.

Psykoboy2

Short comings aside...the 3D on this film was the best I'd ever seen. Done in a way it had never been done before and has yet to be done since - that I've noticed, anyway.

The court scene is honestly better than anything in GB 2016, and more memorable too.

Bobby Brown asking for a proton pack for his kid brother was more memorable than anything in the piece of shit reboot.

And Vigo was awesome. There aren't people who don't like him, are there? The villain was the one area the sequel improved on the original. He was legit scary as a kid, and having him be an actual physical pressense throughout the movie was great.

SeppOCE

I mean, he's not wrong. Feig fucking ruined any potential the movie had. It's a shame because the concept of four female Ghostbusters was cool.

The concept always seemed like four female Ghostbusters for the sake of pushing an agenda and that's what it turned out to be. The movie was doomed to fail from the start.

Bluth54

Ghostbusters 2 isn't that bad. It isn't nearly as good as the first and does have a couple of big problems (a few dumb changes to make the movie more like the cartoon, a plot that's far to similar to GB1) but the humor and the characters are on point.

From what I remember the big reshoots were for that random scene where they shot ghosts and the big thing they cut was the ghost dance sequence. The ghost shooting was terrible and the ghost dance was great.
That is not to say Sony is necessarily in the wrong and Feig is a genius. Part of the dance is incorporating stuff the studio wants and making it fit into what you want.

Who the fuck proposed the Ozzy cameo?

Bobby Brown asking for a proton pack for his kid brother was more memorable than anything in the piece of shit reboot.

And Vigo was awesome. There aren't people who don't like him, are there? The villain was the one area the sequel improved on the original. He was legit scary as a kid, and having him be an actual physical pressense throughout the movie was great.
That's probably GB'16 worse offense that it's completely forgettable.

It tries to be so similar to the original nothing really stands out. At least for me nothing positive and it's a movie that doesn't make me want to watch it again, if ever.

Haven't seen the movie but damn, I'm kinda glad this wasn't a direct sequel so they could still do one for the original movies in the future.
Has that EVER happened? Legit question. I can't think of any time a movie property has been rebooted only to go back to the original continuity later on.

Dan was shameless about trying to get Ghostbuster 3 made for years, not because he creatively felt the need for it, but because he has a stake in it. He publicly hounded and shamed Bill Murray for years until Harold Ramis' death.

Now he's frustrated with Feig, not because the movie wasn't good enough or anything, but because it wasn't financially up to snuff to make more similarly bad movies to help line his pockets.

Even when he's technically right, it's hard to respect how creatively bankrupt he is.
Uh, or, he is in real life completely obsessed with the paranormal and it kind of a whack job about it and it's actually a major passion of his and that's why he championed the 3rd movie so much. Cause he legitimately wanted to do it. Some people do things for more than just the money.

never saw it. do they cross streams in the movie?

i was disappointed II never did that.
Yes, they do. They cut the sequence, but it's in the extended version that came out on Blu-Ray. The extended version is a LOT better than the theatrical version. I'm sure people will shit on it no matter what but even if you think it's shit, the extended version is better shit. There are entire plot lines and characters they cut from the theatrical version. One of which is that they try to cross the streams at the end of the movie to close the portal into the ghost realm, but it doesn't work, so they have to come up with a different idea. In the theatrical cut it just goes straight to them doing the new idea with no set up or explanation at all.

What in the hell are you talking about?

For the 3D screenings they changed the aspect ratio of the movie so that even in theaters there were thick black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. This allowed them to "break" the bars with certain effects that made it look like things were literally coming out of the screen into the theater. For example, when they use the proton packs in GB16, all kinds of excess protons sputter and pour out of the ends of the proton wands. In 3D, they proton beams break the top of the screen and look like they're firing out into the ceiling, and the excess protons look like they're literally spilling out onto the seats in the front rows.

Say what you will about the quality of the movie but the 3D effects were really fuckin cool.

Sheroking

H
Uh, or, he is in real life completely obsessed with the paranormal and it kind of a whack job about it and it's actually a major passion of his and that's why he championed the 3rd movie so much. Cause he legitimately wanted to do it. Some people do things for more than just the money.

He tried to get it made without a script, without Bill Murray, without Harold Ramis and when he couldn't do any of that, was a champion of the reboot.

This is pretty transparent here. His career is basically over and he owns a big chunk of Ghostbusters. He doesn't criticize Feig for making a bad Ghostbusters movie, he criticizes Feig for ruining the chance at more sequels for him to profit from.

TSM

He tried to get it made without a script, without Bill Murray, without Harold Ramis and when he couldn't do any of that, was a champion of the reboot.

This is pretty transparent here. His career is basically over and he owns a big chunk of Ghostbusters. He doesn't criticize Feig for making a bad Ghostbusters movie, he criticizes Feig for ruining the chance at more sequels for him to profit from.

They were planning out the Ghostbusters cinematic universe (cartoons, movies, etc.) before this reboot torpedoed the entire venture. This movie was such a disaster that it effectively devalued the entire property. Dan was finally seeing his dream coming back to life in a big way, only to have it all collapse again. Sure, you can claim Dan is mostly upset by the financial aspects, but it should be really obvious that Ghostbusters meant more to him than merely that.

DeathyBoy

Banned
It was kinda shitty, I mean had some good things about it, but it's nothing higher than mediocre.

Perfect
Great
Very good
Good
So bad it's hilarious
Decent
Okay
Mediocre
Not very good
Bad
Shit
Trash

You can't be kinda shitty and mediocre. And you can't be trash unless you're actually the worst films ever made.

liquidtmd

Banned
The memorability of GB2 is quite impressive.

I'm bemused at people saying it's a bad movie. Nowhere near the classic of GB1, but I've not seen GB2 in probably three or four years yet can still recite dialogue, scenes wholesale and recall most of the details.

GB'16 I saw at Christmas and honestly, outside of the Times Square bit, I couldn't tell you all that much.

DeathyBoy

Banned
The memorability of GB2 is quite impressive.

I'm bemused at people saying it's a bad movie. Nowhere near the classic of GB1, but I've not seen GB2 in probably three or four years yet can still recite dialogue, scenes wholesale and recall most of the details.

GB'16 I saw at Christmas and honestly, outside of the Times Square bit, I couldn't tell you all that much.

I prefer GB 2. Not saying it's better per se, but Vigo is a top tier villain.

He had scripts!? I've read one of them. And he only tried to get it made without Murray because he wanted to do another one and Murray didn't and they literally could not make another one without his approval. He only tried to do it without him after Murray kept moving the goalposts for what would get him back.

Dan Aykroyd is legitimately wild about the paranormal world. He is a believer 110%. Sure he probably wanted money, who wouldn't, but he genuinely loved Ghostbusters because it's about one of his very most favorite things. Beyond the money he absolutely genuinely wanted to just make more of them because he loved them and their subject matter.

Pluto

Dan just tweeted an additional comment. Seems to suggest that feedback from the original creators was probably ignored often
http://www.whosay.com/status/danaykroyd/1252309
Someone should tell Dan Aykroyd that if Sony had wanted him to write and direct a Ghostbusters movie they would have hired him.
This is starting to sound like Aykroyd kept butting in with ideas wanting to be involved and I bet he wasn't the only one.

Paul Feig can make good movies, I love both Bridesmaids and Spy and while I don't hate Ghostbusters it could have been better. Maybe the real problem was that unlike with his other movies this time he had a bunch of people breathing down his neck, desperately wanting this to be the start of a new franchise and the female cast bitchfest on top.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see contradictions in Aykroyd statements. He's not saying that the end product was bad, just too inefficiently made.

Top Bottom