• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dan Aykroyd blasts Paul Feig, says he's not welcome at Sony after Ghostbusters

Aaron

Yep. Paul Feig and Katie Dippold really had no idea what made the original Ghostbusters special and wrote this weird script that felt more like a parody of Ghostbusters rather than a Ghostbusters film.
Yeah it felt like a SNL movie like Night at the Roxbury. Was okay to watch once, but boring and forgettable. Didn't do enough with the Ghostbusters aspect and half the cast kind of sucked.

Phased

The cast was not the problem, and Dan rightfully praised them before. But he's right to accuse Feig's complete mishandling of the film. It's a mess.

The movie was awful but yeah it wasn't the casts fault. Solid cast really.

It just wasn't very funny, and the best cast in the world probably couldn't have made it funny without some major rewrites.

Savitar

Bottom line, Feig messed up badly.

As for ol Danny boy, it was clear that him and the others were roped into trying to put a good spin on the film. They played the PR part, part of the Hollywood game as it required at the time. He probably thought it would help him do his version of GB one day.

hirokazu

The subtext is that Aykroyd enjoyed the movie in spite of Feig. Had Feig been competent, he would've followed up on Aykroyd et al's suggestions the first time they came up and made a decent film on budget.

But no, Feig didn't listen, had to do reshoots for $40 million, and ended up turfing the franchise.
Yeah, the implication obviously, is that Feig is responsible for blowing an extra $40m on reshoots because he didn't listen. But he's not saying the finished product is bad, which is the impression I suspect some people get out of this and which conflicts directly with what he said about it in the leadup to release.

Bluth54

Wasn't Dan talking the film up like it was the greatest thing ever? Then dead silence when it released.

I'm pretty sure Dan was hoping the movie would do well because of the talks of a cinematic universe. Dan likely would of gotten some amount of control over the universe (who knows maybe he would of even gotten to write a movie) and now it's looking less and less likely that sequels or a cinematic universe will happen.

it was still more fun that part 2

5HaQPlj.jpg

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
If I were in Akroyd's shoes and knew that I had the possibility to create more films off something I really enjoyed as a person, but that all got burned by a director with no control, I'd be kinda pissed off at him too.

With that said, don't air your dirty laundry out in public.

i can simultaneously celebrate this panel and still tell you to search your heart, you know it to be true etc

G2 has the courtroom scene which is the best scene in ghostbusters period.

Aside from having too many rehashed elements, G2 is a great film. Vigo's certainly the creepiest villain and MacNicol is awesome as Janosz.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I mean, he's not wrong. Feig fucking ruined any potential the movie had. It's a shame because the concept of four female Ghostbusters was cool.

I think it was great that they went for a female led Ghostbusters, but making that a big point resulted in a movie dwelling too much in it instead of actually of just having a women led movie telling its own story. The dumb male bimbo (Weaver vs Hemsworth for a Ghostbusters comparison)

They could of done this movie for a lot less. 70 million dollars would of been enough. Bloated the budget and movie dident make enough return. If it cost 70 million or so would of been better chance at a sequel.

Nydius

Yep. Paul Feig and Katie Dippold really had no idea what made the original Ghostbusters special and wrote this weird script that felt more like a parody of Ghostbusters rather than a Ghostbusters film.

This sums it up nicely. I can't help but feel it would have been much better off had they worked to make it a continuation of the franchise rather than a soft reboot. They could have used the originals as the foundation to provide historical world building context. Even if they couldn't get Murray involved they probably still could have gotten Akyroyd and Hudson involved as a way to bridge the old and the new, and it still could have been an all female cast.

Instead, as you said, it came across feeling like a parody of Ghostbusters. I would have enjoyed seeing something that continued the line, something where Ray and Winston were hanging up their proton packs and seeking out their replacements (thus leading to finding one or two of the new characters, who then find the rest), and build from there. That could have been something to expand a new series with but now the franchise is pretty much dead until the stink of this project wears off.

Blues1990

The cast was not the problem, and Dan rightfully praised them before. But he's right to accuse Feig's complete mishandling of the film. It's a mess.

The movie itself was a bore to watch, but seeing the ghosts and various phantoms was a treat for the eyes, especially at the climax when hundreds of spirits were invading Times Square. I would've seen the film again for that alone.

Mokujin

This is a very good way to sum it up in one line.

The movie itself was a bore to watch, but seeing the ghosts and various phantoms was a treat for the eyes, especially at the climax when hundreds of spirits were invading Times Square. I would've seen the film again for that alone.
But that's what made the budget so big in the first place...

If have such a big budget you basically have to pander to kids or get wrecked in the box office.

Bluth54

This sums it up nicely. I can't help but feel it would have been much better off had they worked to make it a continuation of the franchise rather than a soft reboot. They could have used the originals as the foundation to provide historical world building context. Even if they couldn't get Murray involved they probably still could have gotten Akyroyd and Hudson involved as a way to bridge the old and the new, and it still could have been an all female cast.

Instead, as you said, it came across feeling like a parody of Ghostbusters. I would have enjoyed seeing something that continued the line, something where Ray and Winston were hanging up their proton packs and seeking out their replacements (thus leading to finding one or two of the new characters, who then find the rest), and build from there. That could have been something to expand a new series with but now the franchise is pretty much dead until the stink of this project wears off.

I have a feeling if production on Ghostbusters had started a little bit later Sony may have insisted on making it a continuation due to the success of The Force Awakens and Jurassic World.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It was incredibly clear to many bigtime GB fans that Feig had no idea what he was doing from the start. His arrogance and hang ups and everything made for the worst director to helm that project. Pair it with a shit script that doesn't understand the joke is supposed to be being a Ghostbuster is terrible exterminator garbage cleaning work and hoo boy.

It's great that with a little distance, everyones got over the "people hating it are woman hating monsters!" and it can be recognised as the shit flick it was. I do feel the cast wasn't very good though as there are a lot of funnier females out there that would deliver the more understated humour found in the original. Current SNL is just... not good enough to come close to the glory era.

LiK

Haven't seen the movie but damn, I'm kinda glad this wasn't a direct sequel so they could still do one for the original movies in the future.

Wereroku

This isn't really even the harshest criticism in the world. All he is talking about is the movie being too expense to ensure a decent return because Feig didn't take feedback from the studio at all.

Honestly I agree with him. It was an ok movie and would have been a moderate success if they hadn't let the budget balloon like crazy.

I heard that Dan Aykroyd blew a hole clear through the starboard side of Paul Feig's ship with his word cannonballs, and Paul Feig tried to bail it out but he had to abandon ship because he was taking on too much water, so he tried to swim to shore but a shark ate him.

The Hobo

I'm curious how Sony would have viewed the movie's earnings had the budget remained $100 million instead of blowing up to $140 million. It still wouldn't have made much profit, but they might have planned a sequel with a lower budget.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I mean, I like some of the roles he has played, but Dan wouldn't have done any better with the movie, he doesn't exactly have a stellar track record with films. In fact he might have one of the worst filmographies I've ever seen as far as terrible to good movie ratios. He had a run in the 90's that made me wonder how he was still getting work.

Wereroku

I mean, I like some of the roles he has played, but Dan wouldn't have done any better with the movie, he doesn't exactly have a stellar track record with films. In fact he might have one of the worst filmographies I've ever seen as far as terrible to good movie ratios. He had a run in the 90's that made me wonder how he was still getting work.

He isn't criticizing the script or quality of the movie. He is solely criticizing the budget overage that made the movie budget higher then it needed to be. So it doesn't really matter what his movie track record is.

LiK

Sony probably also lost a bunch of money to merch and toys. A lot of toys were spotted with clearance prices a few days before the movie even came out. There was no hype and the trailers were bad.

Feig thinking that the comedy in the reboot is acceptable and that godawful final act with the ghost killing and pointless CGI fest ... They fucked it up with the casting and the plot. The whole thing was a fuck up

Sony probably also lost a bunch of money to merch and toys. A lot of toys were spotted with clearance prices a few days before the movie even came out. There was no hype and the trailers were bad.

It wasn't helped by giving the toy licence to Mattel, who were widely hated by Ghostbuster fans already for their poor quality figures, repaints, variants, poor accessories, bad sculpting of likenesses and price gouging.
The quality of the GB2016 figures was slightly better than the original Ghostbusters line they did, but suffered the same problems
So when hot excrement is marketed as toys for a film that wasn't doing well, I can see them loosing money fast on the deal.

Title makes it sound a lot more mean spirited than the actual comments are. I just watched GB 2 though and I have to say Dan has no place criticising the reboot when that one is just as bad as it. It​ even has some of the same issues like not being it's own thing with way more callbacks to the original as well as the script feeling like a bunch of moments just badly put together.

I do like the Idea of Ghost Busters in other countries though, plenty of room for potential there.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
He isn't criticizing the script or quality of the movie. He is solely criticizing the budget overage that made the movie budget higher then it needed to be. So it doesn't really matter what his movie track record is.

People in this thread were talking about fiege ruining aykroyds chance at making another Ghostbusters movie. My point is he more than likely wouldn't have done any better.

People in this thread were talking about fiege ruining aykroyds chance at making another Ghostbusters movie. My point is he more than likely wouldn't have done any better.

who knows. What we do know is that what we got was hot garbage and it's effectively killed the franchise for a long long time.

Fury451

Banned

This is probably the best breakdown summary.

It did seem like it was taking the piss out of the whole thing, but in a way that wasn't really funny, satirical, or with a meaningful direction; baffling considering how it was being hyped by the cast and crew being fans of the material.

For all it's flaws, Ghostbusters 2 did that better with the "broke and doing children's parties because of damages" thing at the beginning.

sans_pants

avec_pénis

That's a very strange metric. Did you read the criticism? Feig didn't listen to Dan and the suits about scenes that needed to be shot, eventually they had to be shot after costing $40 mil and making the budget too large to get a sequel with the little returns it made.

What does Dan's ability as a filmmaker have to do with it?

Sheroking

Dan was shameless about trying to get Ghostbuster 3 made for years, not because he creatively felt the need for it, but because he has a stake in it. He publicly hounded and shamed Bill Murray for years until Harold Ramis' death.

Now he's frustrated with Feig, not because the movie wasn't good enough or anything, but because it wasn't financially up to snuff to make more similarly bad movies to help line his pockets.

Even when he's technically right, it's hard to respect how creatively bankrupt he is.

Kumquat

The movie was pretty meh but I actually liked the cast. It was the writing and the directing that were the problem. The cast was trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Also these headlines are too much. There is only so much obliteration, evisceration, and executing I can take in these things.

Bluth54

I played through the 2011 game recently. Amazing even today.

There's also the excellent IDW Ghostbusters comic series that continues the storyline after the videogame. I believe they are going to do a crossover with the 2016 Ghostbusters soon (they've already dimension hopped with the Real Ghostbusters and the TMNT) and I wouldn't be surprised if the comic writers do a better job with the 2016 Ghostbusters than the movie writers did.

Top Bottom