• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dan Aykroyd blasts Paul Feig, says he's not welcome at Sony after Ghostbusters

The director and the script is the problem.

Yeah. Movie wasn't as bad as the pre-release vitriol would have you believe, but it wasn't as good as the "afterglow reviews" of people just out of the theater raving how it is the best thing EVA!!! Saw the movie after the hype and hate died down, and thought it was a middle-of-the-road movie, not bad, not stellar, with some lackluster, unfunny parts and some entertaining, funny parts. The cast ain't the problem, that's for sure. Loved them all, especially Patty and Holtzmann. Didn't care for Kevin, despite his doofy charm at first,
just prior to being possessed he came off as douche, basically saying he's going to BE a Ghostbuster regardless of what the women say or not. Fuck him (that assholey tantrum seemed to come out of nowhere). Movie should've ended with him apologizing for that (and the girls debating whether or not to put Kevin through a rigorous GB training course), or being fired.

riotous

Banned
He is commenting on the high cost of filming and blaming the director; which doesn't contradict his statements about the quality of the film.

Joni

Now get a competent director, make a movie about Aykroyd being abandoned by all his friends and becoming a huge crazy recluse having to bring back the ghostbusters.

Yeah, but as a Studio Exec i'd be hesitant to outlay that much for a producer who's big name credits are Spy and The Peanuts Movie. While both are well liked by Critics, it's just not enough of a resume. Then again, perhaps they were more hands-on.

I should have put it:
Feig does not have the history and experience to ignore suggestions like he was given.

Uh Bridesmaids? Why would you leave out what is arguably his most successful and well-known movie?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
It wasn't very good, but I thought the script was weak. The direction was, I thought, hard to to parse it's impact from the outside. I can't have an opinion about that. Did Fieg write it?

As far as Dan Akroyd goes, this kinda shit always feels tacky. Shit happens Dan. I've worked on some games where the inflated budget and mismanagement cost a sequel that woulda made me a lot of money and changed my life. Shit happens.

JC Lately

Now get a competent director, make a movie about Aykroyd being abandoned by all his friends and becoming a huge crazy recluse having to bring back the ghostbusters.

You jest, but I think that would actually work. Could be tragically hilarious.

rekameohs

Banned
$40million in reshoots? god damn! he is right to criticize that, especially if the bits reshot had been suggested during the original filming - i mean if one of the writers of the original Ghostbusters is on set and suggesting things you'd think he'd listen,and given the testing agreeing it makes Feig seem very arrogant, that he thought he knew better than audiences, the writers and Dan Akroyd on Ghostbusters

Its a real shame because the potential was there, it just was simply the Fieg curse in action - he does one good film followed by mediocre ones then another good one, which i'd chalk up to writing/scripts rather than his skills as a director.
A strange choice that was made in GB 2016 was to have the movie itself make fun of Ghostbusters at every turn. From killing off Bill Murray as a punchline, to the main characters making fun of the old equipment constantly, the movie had a mocking tone to Ghostbusters fans. It really works in something like 21 Jump Street, where the original product was understood as a corny educational show, but it doesn't when you're going from a comedic action movie with some horror elements to a comedic action movie with some horror elements (except now, you're making fun of the original).

Really a bad decision there, I think.

entremet

I like Paul Feig. Seems like the dude made a poor movie that was not well received and now he's persona non grata. Seems like an overreaction.

Patryn

We did know that Feig wasted a ton of money. Think of the big dance number that they more or less just cut. It was obvious watching the movie there was supposed to be one... and then you gets glimpses of it during the credits.

Not that it would have improved the movie, the whole idea was just dumb, but I doubt it was a cheap sequence to film.

We did know that Feig wasted a ton of money. Think of the big dance number that they more or less just cut. It was obvious watching the movie there was supposed to be one... and then you gets glimpses of it during the credits.

Not that it would have improved the movie, the whole idea was just dumb, but I doubt it was a cheap sequence to film.

It's included in the extended cut.

Sanjuro

The dance sequence is fine in the extended cut, but in the theatrical release the film's arguably best laugh is when they see everyone frozen comment on why they are standing like this.

I like Paul Feig. Seems like the dude made a poor movie that was not well received and now he's persona non grata. Seems like an overreaction.

The movie's budget was $144m, with $40m (28%) being from easily avoidable reshoots. In addition it only grossed $230m overall and effectively killed plans for a franchise. Seems pretty appropriate to me

kirblar

Picking up Feig and the Bridesmaids crew to do the movie was a massive error. Feig was a problem but the even bigger problem was the person who approved bringing him on.

Wasn't an accident that all the positive feedback centered on Jones, McKinnon and Hemsworth.

It wasn't very good, but I thought the script was weak. The direction was, I thought, hard to to parse it's impact from the outside. I can't have an opinion about that. Did Fieg write it?

As far as Dan Akroyd goes, this kinda shit always feels tacky. Shit happens Dan. I've worked on some games where the inflated budget and mismanagement cost a sequel that woulda made me a lot of money and changed my life. Shit happens.

It is tacky and I'm sure he knows more than anyone how things go south considering how long he's been in the business, but we know GB has been his baby and arguably more important to him than comedy in general. Dude loves his paranormal whatsits. This was probably his last crack at keeping the property relevant in the mainstream and now its gone, unless there's been talk of them developing more despite how this one performed?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The movie's budget was $144m, with $40m (28%) being from easily avoidable reshoots. In addition it only grossed $230m overall and effectively killed plans for a franchise. Seems pretty appropriate to me
Sounds like shitty producers getting a pass as usual in this industry.

I was also disappointed with Feig's direction of Ghostbusters, but Dan Aykroyd, the writer/producer/director of Nothing But Trouble, should probably temper his directorial criticisms​.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Aykroyd’s comments are contradictory to his praise for the film when it initially released in 2016.

Eh, not really. Praise for the movie as a movie, and criticism of a movie's production are two different things.

His comments don't seem particularly inflammatory. If it's true about the price tag of the reshoots then yeah, it's problematic.
I love Paul Feig's other films but he was simply out of his element with a PG-13 Ghostbusters film.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
How much power do producers have over directors in terms of mandating them to do things? I actually don't know what a producer does
In terms of the "day to day" it's tough, but despite popular understanding, an AD's job is partially to keep an eye on the producer's interests like the budget and time being used well in the micro sense. That's been deteriorating for a while now, but ideally an AD has teeth and even the director fears them.

On the macro sense a person doing $40 million in reshoots has to fall on a producer. It has to. A producer is the grease that turns the wheels and makes the business decisions for the production as a whole.

A Director has a lot of creative jobs, and some managerial ones as well. Still, as a good friend of mine once said "at the end of the day a director is obligated to ask for things and someone else is obligated to tell them whether they can have it" That dynamic breaking down has lead to a lot of shitty and bloated projects imo. Like everything else in the industry, knowing when it's being done well is almost too opaque during production. You only know afterward, but nobody ever calls out producers because it's never worth it. They get to accept the Oscar when they do great and nobody cares when they do bad.

Neff

Aykroyd should have written it. That's the only way it was ever going to work.

Aykroyd's comments are contradictory to his praise for the film when it initially released in 2016.

And this statement is contradictory to the quote in its own article.

firelogic

Not really a surprise. He's not gonna badmouth the production of the film when he's trying to get people to watch it. Now that it flopped, he's free and clear.

He's not saying anything bad about the quality of the movie though. He's saying that Feig didn't listen to them and because of that, cost them $40 million in reshoots for scenes that should have been done during regular production, not after the fact.

antonz

I felt that after seeing the film that cast was fantastic but it had the wrong director for the project. Dan's comments seem to mirror that as well with He and Sony saying you really need X and then Feig saying Nah only to realize after test screens that yeah you needed X.

The Concept and Cast was there. Director and Execution of a more original story were missing

His comments don't seem particularly inflammatory. If it's true about the price tag of the reshoots then yeah, it's problematic.
I love Paul Feig's other films but he was simply out of his element with a PG-13 Ghostbusters film.

I agree. Also, when I look at Bridesmaids, The Heat and Spy, I think they succeeded because the humor is a little raunchy and full of obscenities. Ghostbusters couldn't play with that kind of humor because it needed to be PG-13.

- J - D -

I'd need to know how much reshoots for other films generally cost in relation to Ghostbusters to really say anything either way. Like Star Wars Rogue One's reshoots, how much did that cost?

I'd need to know how much reshoots for other films generally cost in relation to Ghostbusters to really say anything either way. Like Star Wars Rogue One's reshoots, how much did that cost?

I'm not sure comparing them is relevant when Rogue One made over a billion dollars worldwide. Even if it had the same percentage cost of reshoots, they easily made back the production budget and then some (with the some being a lot)

I agree. Also, when I look at Bridesmaids, The Heat and Spy, I think they succeeded because the humor is a little raunchy and full of obscenities. Ghostbusters couldn't play with that kind of humor because it needed to be PG-13.

I dunno, look at GOTG2. PG-13 movies can get away with a surprising amount of swearing (including a single F-bomb IIRC) and dirty jokes. I wouldn't say the jokes in Bridgesmaids were much raunchier than that

A strange choice that was made in GB 2016 was to have the movie itself make fun of Ghostbusters at every turn. From killing off Bill Murray as a punchline, to the main characters making fun of the old equipment constantly, the movie had a mocking tone to Ghostbusters fans. It really works in something like 21 Jump Street, where the original product was understood as a corny educational show, but it doesn't when you're going from a comedic action movie with some horror elements to a comedic action movie with some horror elements (except now, you're making fun of the original).

Really a bad decision there, I think.
I think (probably through no fault of your own) you are REALLY misreading those things. They aren't making fun of any GB fans, everyone who worked on the movie were massive fans themselves and most felt it was something of an honor to be in a Ghostbusters movie. Bill Murray didn't get killed off, they cut the scene but he's actually still alive and wrote the intro to the in-canon book that came out along with the movie.

As for making fun of the old tech I have NO idea where you're getting that from. They made Holtzman out to be a total crackpot inventor, so she's obviously going to constantly be improving on her own work. Like building the Proton Packs is literally a story thread through the movie, from something so large and heavy it had to be pushed around on a trolly and grounded by the user to things that were able to be worn on a person's back and, in certain cases, even usable without backpacks. There's nothing there making fun of the old gear. One of the aspect of Answer the Call I actually really appreciated was that it took place over a much shorter period of time than the original so you actually got a sense of the team coming together and working together to become "Ghostbusters". The only part that I felt was undercooked was that they just suddenly had the Ecto-1 when so much was put into the evolution of their other gear.

The what with the who now?

The original four Ghostbusters?

For a LOT of people, Ghostbusters = Peter, Ray, Egon, Winston, and those characters are synonymous with their actors. Like in the brains of many, if those people are not involved, even as cartoon characters, then it's just not Ghostbusters. Ghostbusters can only be Ghostbusters if it includes those characters.

The thing is, as a concept, Ghostbusters is perfectly capable of existing outside of those four characters. There is so much they could mine the concept for by expanding the team or, in this case, just starting over with a new team.

A reboot with Peter/Ray/Winston/Egon would have been met with so much scrutiny and anger from the weight of the characters new actors would be filling the shoes of. How the fuck can they recast Peter Venkman? Who would even want to try and play that part, to have to follow Bill Murray as that character? The obvious answer is to, if you're keeping it in continuity with the old movies, bring in new Ghostbusters and eventually pass the torch to them and franchise out the Ghostbusters to be a nation- and eventually world-wide organization, which is actually what Dan Aykroyd planned to do with Ghostbusters 3, 4, 5, and 6 (yes, he had plans for 6 GB movies).

They went with another option, which was just to start over completely. They used the framework of the original GB story and made their own story inside it with a new team. And now Ghostbusters isn't JUST Peter/Ray/Egon/Winston, it's them AND Patty/Holtzman/Abby/Erin. Love it or hate it. So now that they've essentially "freed" the actual concept of Ghostbusters - a group of people who come together to hunt, capture, and research ghosts - from being forever tied explicitly to those four characters (and actors) they can do so much more with the property than they ever could before. There is literally no reason at all, in-universe, for there to only be one group of four people on the entire planet who come up with the idea of how to hunt and capture ghosts and that's a concept that should (and has, in the EXCELLENT comics from IDW) be explored. One of the reasons I love GB so much is because as a concept it has so much potential for imagination and creativity. Every culture around the world has their own ghost stories, their own way of "dealing" with them. Who's to say that a group of Ghostbusters in Japan would be fighting the same kinds of ghosts with the same equipment that a group in Scoland, or Chile, or Russia were? Even just within the USA itself there's so many types of ghost stories and superstitions and urban legends across the country, why keep it locked to four guys in New York?

From everything I've learned following this movie's troubled production, it really does seem like most of the blame falls of Paul Feig and Amy Pascal's shoulders. It was a movie created by petty people who were unwilling to compromise.

I thought the overall result was "meh." Not an awful movie but a completely forgettable one. You don't spend that much on a comedy and shit on the fan base before the movie comes out. I can understand why Aykroyd would be bitter. Ghostbusters was his baby and he'd been trying to get GB3 into production for about 20 years. And now the franchise will probably stay on ice for another 10 - 20 years.

- J - D -

I'm not sure comparing them is relevant when Rogue One made over a billion dollars worldwide. Even if it had the same percentage cost of reshoots, they easily made back the production budget and then some (with the some being a lot)

In context of Aykroyd's comments, I think it is comparable since he explicitly says that Ghostbusters made a lot of money around the world.

Salmonax

I thought the movie was perfectly enjoyable, but didn't really have a reason to exist other than Kate McKinnon's performance. Definitely didn't justify the budget.

Still, a lot of Akroyd's critiques feel like sour grapes. The first one was better than it had any right to be thanks to the sheer talent of everyone involved in front of and behind the camera.

I am arguably the biggest supporter of this thing but even 110 million pre 40 million reshoots was ridiculous. It was doomed by budget before anything else happened.

It's too bad Feig fucked up the financials because I'd have liked to see him around still.

Oh well such is life.

I dunno, look at GOTG2. PG-13 movies can get away with a surprising amount of swearing (including a single F-bomb IIRC) and dirty jokes. I wouldn't say the jokes in Bridgesmaids were much raunchier than that

And the difference is the director. Of course you can have a funny PG-13 film, but all three of Feig's previous hits (the very reasons he was hired for Ghostbusters) were R-rated comedies that said "fuck" a lot.

Top Bottom