• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dan Aykroyd blasts Paul Feig, says he's not welcome at Sony after Ghostbusters

Link.

Original Ghostbusters star and co-writer Dan Aykroyd is now on the record trashing the director of the film’s all-female reboot, Paul Feig, suggesting that he’s to blame for the comedy flick’s less-than-stellar box office returns domestically and worldwide. Aykroyd’s comments are contradictory to his praise for the film when it initially released in 2016.

In an interview with the UK’s Sunday Brunch, Aykroyd offered some thoughts on the Ghostbusters reboot, which is unlikely to get a sequel. Aykroyd openly criticized Feig for his inability to listen to Sony’s feedback, which he believes resulted in a series of lengthy reshoots that cost the studio approximately $40 million.

[Ghostbusters] made a lot of money around the world but just cost too much, making it economically not feasible to do another one. So that’s too bad. The director, he spent too much on it. He didn’t shoot scenes we suggested to him and several scenes that were going to be needed and he said, ‘Nah, we don’t need them.’ Then we tested the movie and they needed them and he had to go back. About $30 to $40-million in reshoots. So he will not be back on the Sony lot any time soon.

Aykroyd’s comments about Feig were reportedly edited out of the episode’s re-airing. Besides his gripes, Aykroyd spoke positively about the film’s cast in the interview, singing praises for his fellow Saturday Night Live alumni.

Lock if old, I didn't find a thread.

daviyoung

Banned
Aykroyd needs his own Ghostbuster to exorcise the phantom of this franchise from his soul. I see nothing wrong with the "I told you so" nature of this quote though.

I mean, he's not wrong. Feig fucking ruined any potential the movie had. It's a shame because the concept of four female Ghostbusters was cool.

The Hobo

Aykroyd's comments are contradictory to his praise for the film when it initially released in 2016

Not really a surprise. He's not gonna badmouth the production of the film when he's trying to get people to watch it. Now that it flopped, he's free and clear.

Ridley327

$30-$40 million in reshoots for a comedy is nuts, and also completely plausible since we're talking about Sony here.

Yeah, Feig as a filmmaker has not earned the ability to demand 40 million in re-shoots.

I'm pretty sure that Sony recommended / was willing to go through with those reshoots, since they're pretty common with big studio films these days. 40m is a lot though.

Fury451

Banned
He's not wrong. Opinions about the movie aside, it seemed like a giant disaster financially and cost-investment wise. This is something Sony has a recurring problem with in general, along with desperation to create a hit franchise. Feig not having a steadier hand on the film was certainly a huge problem.

Real Hero

Dan isn't saying the film is shitty. He's saying Feig didn't listen to suggestions and cost the production about $40 mil. If that's true it's a fair criticism. I am not sure Dan should be revealing this to the public though.

why not? it shouldn't be a state secret

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I hate headlines with the words "blasts" "destroys" "owns" "obliterates." I figured the actual article wasn't going to be close to the headline.

He didn't "blast" Paul Feig. He just didn't like that Feig didn't listen to feedback, and hey ended up having to reshoot stuff which cost the studio more money. Ghostbusters should have been a $50 million to $75 million max, not $144 million.

The movie itself was a lot of fun, and him talking positively about the movie in 2016 hasn't been changed by his current comments about the director. That was a weird thing to try and connect in the article. I know Studio heads can be idiots sometimes, but if Dan Aykroyd is suggesting changes/additions to a movie about Ghostbusters, you should probably take that feedback to heart.

I remember the rumor going around that Bill Murray was basically being bullied into cameoing, so this may be another piece of evidence that the production of that movie was pretty terrible.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So:

1) Aykroyd still likes the movie.
2) Criticizes Feig for ignoring advice which led to reshoots.
3)Reshoots cost $40 million, which put the budget way too high and probably cost the film a sequel.

I see nothing wrong with what Aykroyd said (and I actually really enjoyed the film).

Fury451

Banned
I remember the rumor going around that Bill Murray was basically being bullied into cameoing, so this may be another piece of evidence that the production of that movie was pretty terrible.

His performance certainly seemed like he was held at gunpoint.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm pretty sure that Sony recommended / was willing to go through with those reshoots, since they're pretty common with big studio films. 40m is a lot though.

Yeah, but as a Studio Exec i'd be hesitant to outlay that much for a producer who's big name credits are Bridesmaids, Spy and The Peanuts Movie. While they are well liked by Critics, it's just not enough of a resume (It's getting there). Then again, perhaps they were more hands-on.

I should have put it:
Feig does not have the history and experience to ignore suggestions like he was given.

why not? it shouldn't be a state secret

There is no reason for this to be public record. Sony is a private company and we don't need to be told about it. I'm not saying someone can't reveal this information I just think it comes off as scummy for Dan to throw Feig under the bus in a public forum. That's an internal matter.

Every time theres a title like this the actual content is so much less exciting or interesting. Softest "blast" ever.

LOL this. When I read the title I was like come on Dan, have some more class. Instead he just... laid out some basic facts and didn't criticize the movie, just some of Feig's choices during production that skyrocketed the budget.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
There is no reason for this to be public record. Sony is a private company and we don't need to be told about it. I'm not saying someone can't reveal this information I just think it comes off as scummy for Dan to throw Feig under the bus in a public forum. That's an internal matter.

Well Dan wanted to reignite the franchise and Feig tanked it by not knowing what he was doing. Dude probably has an axe to grind

a guy hired to do a job made poor decisions, didn't listen to directions, and wasted time and money and because of that a pre-planned franchise will not be continued. at some point we need to be honest about what is "trash-talk" and what is simply describing someone being shit at their job but yay clicks BLASTED.

Yeah, but as a Studio Exec i'd be hesitant to outlay that much for a producer who's big name credits are Spy and The Peanuts Movie. While both are well liked by Critics, it's just not enough of a resume. Then again, perhaps they were more hands-on.

I should have put it:
Feig does not have the history and experience to ignore suggestions like he was given.

True, but Sony isn't exactly being run by geniuses either here though, lets face it.

Paul Feig, the cast, and Katie Dippold have all done incredible work elsewhere. I think that sometimes movies just fail to come together.

Real Hero

I love behinds the scenes stuff like this, I wish more people would just throw it out there

rekameohs

Banned
Spy ended up as a fantastic action comedy, so I don't really know what the outlier is here. Maybe he's just not cut out yet for managing a blockbuster.

The Hobo

I didn't care for 2016 GB, but I wouldn't be against a sequel as long as it was in the hands of someone capable of handling it.

I've never watched any of Feig's other movies so I can't judge those, but I know he wasn't right for this film.

Kinyou

The budget was just insane. $140 million. What did they expect?

They made Deadpool for less than half of that

chronos86

People really have to stop using the phrases " [Insert Person] Blasts/Trash's [InsertPerson/thing] " in the title of their Threads/Articles and then having the quote be the lightest criticism ever.

Also I don't think those extra scenes would of made much of a difference in the overall BO numbers.

$40million in reshoots? god damn! he is right to criticize that, especially if the bits reshot had been suggested during the original filming - i mean if one of the writers of the original Ghostbusters is on set and suggesting things you'd think he'd listen,and given the testing agreeing it makes Feig seem very arrogant, that he thought he knew better than audiences, the writers and Dan Akroyd on Ghostbusters

Its a real shame because the potential was there, it just was simply the Fieg curse in action - he does one good film followed by mediocre ones then another good one, which i'd chalk up to writing/scripts rather than his skills as a director.

Considering how long it took him to get another one made I'm not that surprised by his reaction given the history, his ability to work with the property now is probably toast. And no we're not counting the damn game!

Even as someone who really liked the reboot, behind the scenes it was obviously a total shit show. $140 Million for a Ghostbusters movie is just insane. Especially when you also consider he originally wanted something like $160M or $180M.

I'm really curious where the franchise will go now that it's been "freed" of the weight of the original 4 GBs. The [extremely painful for some] bandaid of making a GB movie without Peter/Ray/Egon/Winston has been ripped off, so they can kind of do whatever they want with the concept now. I'd love to see a sequel to Answer the Call that was at the very least still set in that universe they just set up. Maybe not with Feig at the helm, maybe focusing on a different group of people working under the newly governmentalized Ghostbusters franchising, but still in the same continuity. Set it in another city somewhere and have references to "that event in New York" and then have some G-Men come in an recruit the new team. The much slower pace of the timeframe Answer the Call takes place in is so cool to me, they could really build up Gozer and everything up to be a much more immense threat instead of trying to fit it all into the one movie like the original did.

diaspora

a guy hired to do a job made poor decisions, didn't listen to directions, and wasted time and money and because of that a pre-planned franchise will not be continued. at some point we need to be honest about what is "trash-talk" and what is simply describing someone being shit at their job but yay clicks BLASTED.

JC Lately

So:

1) Aykroyd still likes the movie.
2) Criticizes Feig for ignoring advice which led to reshoots.
3)Reshoots cost $40 million, which put the budget way too high and probably cost the film a sequel.

I see nothing wrong with what Aykroyd said (and I actually really enjoyed the film).

All of this. Well except enjoying the movie. Found it to be pretty meh myself, but better than Ghostbusters 2. I can see where Dan is coming from; even a crazy clock is right twice a day (or something).

Top Bottom